Procedure For Buying A Scooter 2013

Hi, I was just wondering if there have been any changes to rules/documentation for buying a new scooter from Honda etc ?

Do you go to immigration with your passport, 1 or 2 photos, apartment/house lease and pay about 1000 Baht for some kind of purchase permission slip ?

Edited by freedomnow

I'm in Chiang Mai and showed the dealer the lease photocopy and she seemed to think it was OK.

I'm just worried I will wait in the hell that is immi. for 2 hours only to be told, sorry you don't have document X, try again tomorrow !

Edited by freedomnow

If you have a visa in your passport, a Yellow House Registration book (tabian baan see leuuang), a work permit or combination of these take them along with copies to the dealer along with your license. I just take the Yellow House Book and relevant license when I buy a vehicle and I'm good to go.

Work permit version:

If you pay all cash, only passport, work permit and money.

If finance, work permit, passport, salary slips, prints of bank account transactions for 6 months which you need to wait days sometime to get it from bank - your salary needs to be going into that account as well -, a letter from your company stating that you work there and the amount of your salary and i think verification of address which they copied both sides of my Thai Driving License. They call your office/working place too to check. I never got a finance in Thailand but these are all i know.

Chiang Mai immigration no longer stamp documents for vehicle purchasing.

I had to go to UK consulate this morning and it is 2500 Baht for purchaser address notarisation vs 1000 Baht or so at immi.

Visa status was not even looked at, so it must be a new rule.

This was confirmed twice, once by me and once by Honda dealership.

All that is needed for purchase is a consulate notarised address document and passport scan in the case of scooters at my dealership anyway.

Go to immigration,Pay 250 BTH to get a permit to buy a new or 2nd hand car, bike, condo ( it's good for 3 month). Remember photos and proof of living ( i use a copy of my internet bill).

Here in Pattaya it took me less than 30 minutes to get the permit. You only need this permit if you have no work permit though! A Work permit opens all kinds of doors wink.png

Edited by julemanden

I'm planning to sell my motorcycle, does anyone know if I will have to get

address notarisation as the seller? Anybody know the process for selling a car or motorcycle

after finding a buyer? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you do need an address confirmation, same as when buying. I just bought a 2nd hand chopper, all I did was went to the land transport department near the seller, we filled out the forms, bike got inspected (engine and frame numbers confirmed against those in green book), then waited for an hour or so for the green book transfer completion, hand out the money and ride off...

I just had a very simple letter from a Thai friend of mine stating that I was living with her and.......that's it. The dealer was happy(Yamaha official) and did all the paperwork.... they just called me abput 3/4 weeks later to sign all the documents and I could get the bike book, insurance and annual tax slip, all in my name. Forgot to mention that at that time I just had a tourist visa. This is in CM.

In Chiang Mai I needed address verification document from immigration (if you rent you won't have yellow book so you need to get a letter from the landlord that you live there, take to immigration, then pay 500 baht and get address confirmation document). Make sure you get the green book with your name in it (confirm the green book is for the actual bike you're buying). You will also need the compulsory insurance cert, and the label for on the bike which the dealership should be able to arrange (or you can do outside of that). Obviously if you just want a bike and you don't care if it's registered properly you can just buy, get a receipt with the purchase details, chassis number etc. it and drive off... But it would be hard to sell a bike like that.

Edited by Plastic Brontosaurus

I have no idea where they get this so called "document to purchase" a motor vehicle, you do need a Yellow House Registration book (tabian baan see leuang),or "Certificate of Residency", from immigration, The dealer should also requires copy of your passport, showing your photo, AND visa pages, note, you can not (legally) buy a vehicle if you only have a Tourist Visa, this was all that was needed, in Phuket, picked up the bike the next day, with red plates, another month, went back to the dealer for the permanent plates and green book.

I have no idea where they get this so called "document to purchase" a motor vehicle, you do need a Yellow House Registration book (tabian baan see leuang),or "Certificate of Residency", from immigration, The dealer should also requires copy of your passport, showing your photo, AND visa pages, note, you can not (legally) buy a vehicle if you only have a Tourist Visa, this was all that was needed, in Phuket, picked up the bike the next day, with red plates, another month, went back to the dealer for the permanent plates and green book.

I guess this varies by location, but in Chiang Mai you can buy a motorbike with a tourist visa, as long as you have your Certificate of Residency from immigration. Usually it is a lot easier if you let the bike dealership take care of the hassle however. I paid them 1000 baht and they got the bike checked out, green book in my name, insurance sorted (cost a bit extra cant remember how much) and tax sticker. With only a tourist visa in my passport.

In Chiang Mai I needed address verification document from immigration (if you rent you won't have yellow book so you need to get a letter from the landlord that you live there, take to immigration, then pay 500 baht and get address confirmation document). Make sure you get the green book with your name in it (confirm the green book is for the actual bike you're buying). You will also need the compulsory insurance cert, and the label for on the bike which the dealership should be able to arrange (or you can do outside of that). Obviously if you just want a bike and you don't care if it's registered properly you can just buy, get a receipt with the purchase details, chassis number etc. it and drive off... But it would be hard to sell a bike like that.

Maybe that is case before, but they said twice yesterday they no longer offer this service without even looking looking in my passport.

I guess this varies by location, but in Chiang Mai you can buy a motorbike with a tourist visa, as long as you have your Certificate of Residency from immigration. Usually it is a lot easier if you let the bike dealership take care of the hassle however. I paid them 1000 baht and they got the bike checked out, green book in my name, insurance sorted (cost a bit extra cant remember how much) and tax sticker. With only a tourist visa in my passport.

Yep, that is my status, tourist buying a new scooter. Though they never even looked at passport, they just said they no longer offer this service.

Edited by freedomnow

Yep, that is my status, tourist buying a new scooter. Though they never even looked at passport, they just said they no longer offer this service.

You're talking about the proof of residence? Were you well dressed? Sometimes they can have a bad day and just send you away. Happened to me once, came in in old shorts and t-shirt. Next day better dressed and no problem. However if the issue is about obtaining the proof of residence from immigration, perhaps start a new topic about that as it is a different subject - many people need that for other things than buying motorbikes. So you may get better response that way, as people get that all the time, so it would be a major issue if they actually stopped issuing them, which would seem strange to me as it gets them 500 baht a piece for just a slip of paper, it's very profitable for them so does not make sense. I guess you had the letter from your landlord with you? Because you need that to get the paper from immigration - plus 2 photos and 500 baht...

You're talking about the proof of residence? Were you well dressed? Sometimes they can have a bad day and just send you away. Happened to me once, came in in old shorts and t-shirt. Next day better dressed and no problem. However if the issue is about obtaining the proof of residence from immigration, perhaps start a new topic about that as it is a different subject - many people need that for other things than buying motorbikes. So you may get better response that way, as people get that all the time, so it would be a major issue if they actually stopped issuing them, which would seem strange to me as it gets them 500 baht a piece for just a slip of paper, it's very profitable for them so does not make sense. I guess you had the letter from your landlord with you? Because you need that to get the paper from immigration - plus 2 photos and 500 baht...

Yes, I had all those docs, in first thing a.m. They never looked at my dress sense though I'm no slob. Well if it was just a whimsical rejection then I have had to pay 2000 Baht extra for proof of residence from UK consulate here in C.M.

Yes, I had all those docs, in first thing a.m. They never looked at my dress sense though I'm no slob. Well if it was just a whimsical rejection then I have had to pay 2000 Baht extra for proof of residence from UK consulate here in C.M.

Perhaps on the way to the consulate you could drop by at immi again and try again just in case - assuming there's a different person at the desk. I've needed 3 of the documents in January and applied at the middle bit of the counter - not the left or the right sides. Dropped papers in the morning and got the letter at 2pm every time. Good luck!