Maggie Thatcher Is Dead.

Jockstar

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thatcher was not, as some have posted here, a supporter of apartheid.

Margaret Thatcher on apartheid: Sixteen quotes

Fair enough; it looked at times she had a sympathetic ear to it.

So, why do you think she supported the Khmer Rouge and sent SAS troops to train them? Why did she not make any comments about what was going on when it was happening, only to be annoyed with VIetnam for ending it.

She put her hatred of communism ahead of human slaughter.

grocer's daughter from Lincolnshire knew what she knew.

sas training cabin with live ammo. I like this!

try a helicopter gunship over a rice field Maggie and see if you like the sound of Wagner.

Much more exciting than a day in Westminster.

White trash.

Cheers

A new low on this thread.

nope. a new high.

7by7 waits behind a haystack.

Not sure what the Dead Kennedy's California Uber Alles has to do with Thatcher but it sure brings back memories of seeing them live at the Mabuhay Gardens, San Francisco, and permanently destroying my ear drums!

Deflect what you don't want to hear.

Some geezers on this post saw people dying.

Not sure what the Dead Kennedy's California Uber Alles has to do with Thatcher but it sure brings back memories of seeing them live at the Mabuhay Gardens, San Francisco, and permanently destroying my ear drums!

tw asnae quite Carlia forneeai Uberallees , but a no bad sentiment lioke

besides, it's easy to judge with the benefit of hindsight, but who knew at the time what would happen once the Khmer Rouge gained power and the Vietnamese left?

erm......the vietnamese removed the khmer rouge from power and everyone knew what they had done while in power. thatcher ignored their crimes because of her agenda, though to be fair so did everyone else except john pilger. the khmer rouge scum maintained cambodia's UN seat throughout the time of the vietnamese supported govt. she knew, she just didn't care enough to overcome her hatred of the left, but as i say, she wasn't alone in this.

• Like 1

Simhne said "she did not believe in society, only individuals and families."

But society is made up of individuals and families!

What's good for them must surely be good for society.

Or do you prefer the old Soviet system where individuals and families come last and the state comes first?

Edit:

Bluespunk; thanks for correcting my history.

But as you say, everyone ignored (weren't aware of?) their crimes at the time.

Edited by 7by7

I grew up with her, always present in the Media as a youngster in my 20is in a Continental European Country and I liked her!

Iron as she was!

Sorry that she was so sick for a couple of years and had to go now! sad.png

Did you ever visit Great Britain in the 70's, as I did?

Yes.

I think what lannarebirth is referring to is that if you were familiar with the UK during this decade you would know that under successive weak governments and the rise of unionism it was headed for economic and cultural oblivion.

Maggie saved the UK from this, I guess you have a different view on the Callaghan government ?

Yes.

I think what lannarebirth is referring to is that if you were familiar with the UK during this decade you would know that under successive weak governments and the rise of unionism it was headed for economic and cultural oblivion.

Maggie saved the UK from this, I guess you have a different view on the Callaghan government ?

I'm not saying she didn't need to make some changes. I think she really went OVERBOARD though.

Yes.

I'm not saying she didn't need to make some changes. I think she really went OVERBOARD though.

If you mean by 'OVERBOARD' she had the balls to take some tough & politically unpopular decisions where other's had prevaricated for years, then I agree.

• Like 2

Lots of Brits are apparently happy about this. Outbursts of impromptu celebrations at several locations. coffee1.gif

I wouldn't do that even over George W. Bush. Different culture, I reckon.

Not so different. It's ghetto culture, except in Britain the ghettoes are white.

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1

'The enemy of my enemy is my friend' perhaps?

Besides, it's easy to judge with the benefit of hindsight, but who knew at the time what would happen once the Khmer Rouge gained power and the Vietnamese left?

I did say, though, that I did not agree with everything she did.

Back to South Africa.

Many people have posted here that she called Nelson Mandela a terrorist; but have not linked to an actual quote or similar; and I have been unable to find one.

She did call the ANC terrorists; which is understandable as at the time they were putting burning tyres around the necks of those in the townships who disagreed with their methods!

I won't get into how much and why the UK - not specifically PM Thatcher - and the UN - sided with the KR (that's too far off topic and will certainly cause a way off topic debate) but you've made a large and crucial error and are clearly not equipped with the facts: the period in question is AFTER the KR had been responsible for one of the most horrific crimes against humanity in history. That took place BEFORE the Vietnamese invaded (with their own proxies taken from the KR, which they had a huge role in creating to start with).

And as for Mr. Mandela: accusations of terrorism weren't about burning tires per se. Umkhonto we Sizwe was the armed faction of the ANC that Mandela co-founded with the deliberate purpose of using violence to advance their cause. Among their actions were bombings that killed dozens of civilians and injured many more. I don't know that PM Thatcher called Pres. Mandela, but I know that she and her government - and many others - called his organization a terrorist group. Not without cause.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

"There is absolutely nothing wrong with loathing Margaret Thatcher or any other person with political influence and power based upon perceived bad acts, and that doesn't change simply because they die. If anything, it becomes more compelling to commemorate those bad acts upon death as the only antidote against a society erecting a false and jingoistically self-serving history."

This piece from yesterdays Guardian (UK newspaper) sums up my feelings. It is necessary to remember how Thatcher divided the nation even further along class lines, made greed and accumulation of wealth a deity and further that it was acceptable to do this at others expense. If anyone needs a concrete example of the long lasting effects of her and her government, visit Easington in County Durham. The former coal mining district celebrated in the musical Billy Elliot remains impoverished, its very reason for existing having been callously removed and still today with one of the highest suicide rates of working age men. The women who keep these communities functioning at all are the real iron women.

I raised a glass to these people last night and I hope that it is this reality, her pro apartheid stance and her promotion of collusion with loyalist terrorists in Ireland that will be remembered around the world. She was also well known to be close friend of General Suharto. She was not a champion of aspirational working people, she blinded them with self interest and left a poisonous legacy for all but a very few, very wealthy individuals.

And a good friend of Pinochet!

• Like 2

Simhne said "she did not believe in society, only individuals and families."

But society is made up of individuals and families!

What's good for them must surely be good for society.

Or do you prefer the old Soviet system where individuals and families come last and the state comes first?

Edit:

Bluespunk; thanks for correcting my history.

But as you say, everyone ignored (weren't aware of?) their crimes at the time.

One of Margaret Thatchers more famous quotes was "There is no such thing as Society" I guess the notion of Society didn't suit her personal agenda.

Lots of Brits are apparently happy about this. Outbursts of impromptu celebrations at several locations. coffee1.gif

Not so different. It's ghetto culture, except in Britain the ghettoes are white.

And when were last in the UK?

Edited by Scott

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QiZPoo7H90

And when were last in the UK?

Jings , that was ages ago .

MAJIC;

You keep harping on about Thatcher's share of the vote (or to be precise, the Conservative's share of the vote) but are forgetting, assuming you ever knew, that the multi party nature of British politics means that since the war no party has ever received more than 50% of the votes cast.

Even in their landslide victory in 1945, Labour only managed 47.88%. Indeed, the Conservatives beat that in both 1955 and 1959 with 49.74% and 49.36% respectively.

(Source)

My point which obvious eluded you,was that a mandate from the Majority of the people should be over 50%.My point was Mrs Thatcher was not as popular a Prime Minister as some would lead us to believe.

Here are the figures from Wiki,which bares that out!

1979.....43.9%

1983.....42.4%

1987.....42.2%

That is not exactly the will of the people.

^ , well did you ever struggle ? Maybe you are a working class hero ? Tell us a story Mr lannarebirth and make it good , for rear of coming across ass illiterate .

Of course I've struggled, who hasn't. One thing I never did however was self identify by class. Not when I was living in the housing projects as a child. Not when I was selling my blood plasma for college textbooks, never. I have nothing but contempt for people who do. People who wallow in it and by so doing legitimize the people they hate. I'[ve nothing more to say that is not germane to MT's life or death. Take it to PM if you want.

Edited by lannarebirth

^ , well did you ever struggle ? Maybe you are a working class hero ? Tell us a story Mr lannarebirth and make it good , for rear of coming across ass illiterate .

Of course I've struggled, who hasn't. One thing I never did however was self identify by class. Not when I was living in the housing projects as a child. Not when I was selling my blood plasma for college textbooks, never. I have nothing but contempt for people who do. People who wallow in it and by so doing legitimize the people they hate. I'[ve nothing more to say that is not germane to MT's life or death. Take it to PM if you want.

Go on fill yer boots . N' Hey remember , take it easy , La ! Ya fanny .

Edited by onionluke