Maggie Thatcher Is Dead.

Jockstar

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been too long coming but worth the wait nevertheless. My fear, now justified, was always that this vile woman would receive a public and ceremonial funeral. The next problem will be to make sure her present condition is permanent - perhaps a stake through the heart will do it!

While you have every right to say what you will, it does speak and say more about yourself than it does about Ms. Thatcher.

I would think that decent human beings do not speak ill of the dead. But you are entitled to your opinion and others theirs.

Thank you!

I experienced personally some of Thatcher's handiwork. I spoke ill of her then so why should I not speak ill of her now - the effects of her 'legacy' linger on.

At least I am consistent in my loathing of her and not hypocritical. But then I suppose that makes me NOT a "decent human being" (like Thatcher?!).

• Like 2

Celebrating a death, shows not only a lack of respect but a lack of class. If you can't say something nice. Keep quiet.

Celebrating? I'd agree. Speaking ill (ie being critical)? That's ridiculous. I'm confident you will only say that about people you like or at best think weren't so bad. I'd also wager that there are some people who would pass away that you would GLADLY speak Ill of and perhaps even celebrate. The only difference between them is your opinion about the deceased - and your opinion, nor mine - is any more valid than anyone else's, is it?

This idea that when someone's dead they should automatically be given respect or be immune from any display of I'll feelings makes no logical sense, and smacks of intellectual dishonesty and hypocrisy.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

• Like 2

Celebrating a death, shows not only a lack of respect but a lack of class. If you can't say something nice. Keep quiet.

Why should death entitle someone to ill-deserved respect? Does death somehow absolve a person like Thatcher of the responsibility she has for the consequences of her actions? Is this forum only for "saying something nice"?!

• Like 1

Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher Dies At Age 87

LONDON (BNO NEWS) -- Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher on Monday died after suffering from stroke in London, officials said Monday. She was 87.
</p>
<p>Thatcher, born in Grantham, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom in 1925, died at the Ritz Hotel in London shortly before 1 p.m. local time after suffering from poor health for a number of years. he death was confirmed by Lord Timothy Bell, Thatcher's spokesman.
</p>
<p>The 'Iron Lady,' as she was also known thanks to a Soviet journalist, was the longest-serving British Prime Minister of the 20th century, serving from 1979 to 1990, and she is the only woman to have held the post.
</p>
<p>After her re-election in 1987, when she began her third term, she began losing popularity until her resignation in 1990.
</p>
<p>British Prime Minister David Cameron said Thatcher 'led' an 'saved the country. "Margaret Thatcher didn't just lead our country; she saved our country. And we should never forget that the odds were stacked against her. She was the shopkeeper's daughter from Grantham who made it all the way to the highest office in the land."
</p>
<p>"For many of us, she was an inspiration," Cameron continued. "For others, she was a force to be defined against. But if there is one thing that cuts through all of this, one thing that runs through everything that she did, it was her lionhearted love of this country. She was the patriot Prime Minister, and she fought for Britainâs interests every step of the way."
</p>
<p>United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon expressed his deepest condolences to Thatcher's family and country following the news, describing her as a 'pioneering leader.'
</p>
<p>"We will miss her great leadership," said Ban. "She was a pioneering leader for her contribution to peace and security, particularly at the height of the Cold War," the Secretary-General added during a press conference at The Hague.
</p>
<p>"She was also a great model as the first woman Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, who not only demonstrated her leadership but has given such great hope for many women for equality, gender equality in Parliament," Ban continued.
</p>
<p>"We will owe a great deal to her leadership," which "will inspire many people around the world for peace and security and human rights."
</p>
<p>United States President Barack Obama, meanwhile, called her "one of the great champions of freedom and liberty," sending condolences to the Thatcher family and all the British people.
</p>
<p>"With the passing of Baroness Margaret Thatcher, the world has lost one of the great champions of freedom and liberty, and America has lost a true friend," Obama said in a statement, also describing her as "an example to our daughters that there is no glass ceiling that canât be shattered," as she was the first female Prime Minister in the UK.
</p>
<p>"As prime minister, she helped restore the confidence and pride that has always been the hallmark of Britain at its best. And as an unapologetic supporter of our transatlantic alliance, she knew that with strength and resolve we could win the Cold War and extend freedom's promise," Obama said.
</p>
<p>Thatcher's funeral es scheduled to take place at the St. Paul's Cathedral, with full military honors, followed by a private cremation, according to the British prime minister's office.
</p> <p> (Copyright 2013 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].) </p>

-- 2013-04-09

She advanced feminism.

"I hate feminism. It is poison." - m. thatcher.

What she said or thought about feminism is irrelevant. Not talking here about bra burning style feminism. Talking about WOMEN IN POWER feminism and objectively despite her views she was a major force in advancing that. Being the first women head leader of a major western power , getting the office through her own meritswhistling.gif , holding the office so long, being so strong and outspoken (not easy politically for woman in most cultures without being dismissed as the B word), and having a significant historical impact were all contributing factors. Doesn't mean I like her and most of what she did any more than she liked feminism but facts are facts.

She was so good that there hasn't been a woman Prime Minister since!

She was at least a leader who cared about Britain ,she did not roll over to the E.U but fought for us against them and against the unions who were hell bent on destroying our great country(i remember the 3 day week ,working with no electricity and having to get around the mounds of rubbish in the street ,because the public sector were striking as usuall) she was not like Blair and co who were just in it for the money and so his wife could make a fortune out of the uman rights laws.(he also gave up our rebate that Maggie won from the E.U .we wont see her like again ,she may not have been perfect ,but at least she loved our country ,she didn't just use it,R.I.P

I don't suppose that Dennis or Mark profited from her time in Downing Street. Those trade unions hell bent on destroying our country must be looking at what the banks have managed to achieve and wishing they could have done a fraction of the damage. Now just who was it that pushed for all that financial de-regulation?

• Like 1

She was at least a leader who cared about Britain ,she did not roll over to the E.U but fought for us against them and against the unions who were hell bent on destroying our great country(i remember the 3 day week ,working with no electricity and having to get around the mounds of rubbish in the street ,because the public sector were striking as usuall) she was not like Blair and co who were just in it for the money and so his wife could make a fortune out of the uman rights laws.(he also gave up our rebate that Maggie won from the E.U .we wont see her like again ,she may not have been perfect ,but at least she loved our country ,she didn't just use it,R.I.P

I don't suppose that Dennis or Mark profited from her time in Downing Street. Those trade unions hell bent on destroying our country must be looking at what the banks have managed to achieve and wishing they could have done a fraction of the damage. Now just who was it that pushed for all that financial de-regulation?

Wrong! The boy Mark profited greatly by clinging to mum's coat-tails. He was (is still?) an arms dealer who most certainly cashed-in on his mother's activities. If I'm not wrong, he still lives in a fortified mansion in a fashionable part of London.

And, yes, financial institutions, in their uncontrolled 'free-market' gluttony for the fast buck have most certainly done more economic and social damage than the unions ever could.

Edited by awayego
  • Like 1

Margret Thatcher the 'milk snatcher',I hope you rot in hell,she did nothing for the working class except let them buy their councill houses and then take them off them when she put them out of work.The Tory party was never any good,take a look at those that are in power now.

• Like 1

Margret Thatcher the 'milk snatcher',I hope you rot in hell,she did nothing for the working class except let them buy their councill houses and then take them off them when she put them out of work.The Tory party was never any good,take a look at those that are in power now.

From my memory Labour did more for the non working class than the working class.

• Like 1

Margaret Thatcher's death on newspaper front pages – in pictures

How Britain's press is presenting the passing of the country's first female prime minister to their readers

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 9 April 2013 01.26 BS

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/gallery/2013/apr/09/margaret-thatcher-death-newspaper-front-pages

Edited by Morakot

I get the impression from this forum that he Brits are rejoicing in this news.

RIP Maggie.

Probably the same ones who supported UK unilateral nuclear disarmament - you know, the ones who cannot see beyond their nose

Lived through those times too, Britain's army of the unwashed and workshy, aka Maggie's millions. Remember the miners strike Police, Avon & Somerset Police Operation Miner - ASPOM or Arthur Scargill Paying Our Mortgages, Brit humour at its best!!

How Britain's press is presenting the passing of the country's first female prime minister to their readers

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/gallery/2013/apr/09/margaret-thatcher-death-newspaper-front-pages

Well that's the tree hugging Guardian for you, the Telegraph/Times & Sun will have a completely different approach.

I get the impression from this forum that he Brits are rejoicing in this news.

RIP Maggie.

A minority always seem to get their kicks this way!

Define minority. The tories never had > 44% of the popular vote in any of her 3 terms.

For my part she refused to subsidise the coal industry and preferred to fight the unions. It seems strange now, that the Govt prefer to subsidise the Banks for mistakes. Both policies lack consistency.

A ridiculous comment considering there is 30 odd years difference between the two !

totster smile.png

Well that's the tree hugging Guardian for you, the Telegraph/Times & Sun will have a completely different approach.

Did you peruse any of this? Approach what?

The link shows all major newspapers' headlines, including the Telegraph, Times and Guardian.

E.g. the Sun: Maggie Dead in Bed at Ritz

Edited by Morakot

State funeral to cost £9M?

“For £3 million you could give everyone in Scotland a shovel, and we

could dig a hole so deep we could hand her over to Satan in person"

--Frankie Boyle

Apparently people are already petitioning for her 'state funeral to be privatised' in keeping with her legacy.

'Margaret Thatcher's state funeral should be funded and managed by the private sector to offer the best value and choice for end users and other stakeholders.'

There'd be a lot more than 9m raised if it was privatised!