Adorable Things That Thai Girls Do

Phronesis

thats koo non, a gik is someone who is taken and has a gik on the side, you cannot be single and have a gik, you can have a woman but its not called gik unless you have a woman already.

your refering to koo non.

i got 4 thai guys right here and you are going to say their all wrong, are you serious, perhaps you can give them some thai lessons.

OK, your arguing about semantics. The context of this discusion has assumed that a Gik was indeed a friend with benefits. Whether or not the actual word is correct to a thai is not germain to the discussion

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you cannot be single and have a gik

-

Interesting, news to me, perhaps the Thais around me consider me to not be single because I'm looking after two kids? Or perhaps the maid is supposed to have some sort of claim on me, even though her husband visits the house on a regular basis?

Dunno, but great to live and learn - would actually like to clarify then the normal meaning of Gik, seems to me it must be just like mia noi but more casual, not paying her rent or supporting her?

its cute the way they get so angry when i forget to flush

your sh*t might not smell like Chanel No.5

Mine's Chanel No. 2.

I also like channel5, heaps better shows than channel 2....biggrin.png

You know what I like, how a topics posted, then we manage to read between the lines, change it round a bit and the rest is history!

Hey, you've messed up the quotes there. Naam's Chanel No. 5, my shit smells like Chanel No. 2. :(

I love it when I see a beautiful Thai girl sitting on a motor cycle, using the rear view mirror to look at her face as she pops her pimples, they way they pick their nose in a restaurant, or suck snot up their nose, then swallow it rather than blow their nose...it's all so adorable!

It's also so sweet that they use a finger to clean their ass in the toilet

and use toilet paper to wipe their face while eating. I get excited just thinking about it!

Women the world over have been using toothbrushes etc to tie up their hair for years. Its not some out of this world phenomena. I wouldn't disrespect my bf though by using his...or disrespect him by having a gik for that matter either. ..or hit him around the head......

I believe you that it's not an exclusively Thai thing but I'm surprised you think that women the world over are disrespecting their male partners by doing it - or are you being culturally sensitive?

One needn't have a bf/GF to have a Gik but certainly if one did, that wold be disrespectful.

Slapping on the head is in most contexts - certainly at first acquaintance - disrespectful, I agree.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

The thing is that men might find it cute from a thai GF...but would get pissed if a western one was doing the same ;) because we are expected to know it is not hygienic...but thai girls are ssoooo cuttee their baby girls manners ;)

The bottom line is that they are simply not afraid to manifest the dignity within femininity. That is what many of us find the most appealing. Simply said, they are not afraid to be women, and to behave like women, and they carry themselves in a feminine manner, and we love that. Many back home were more masculine than I, and who wants that? Nothing appealing about a woman who insists on wearing the pants.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Having a look at google and talking to some of my Thai friends it apears that the term gig-gik-kik is a modern term and you will get differant defintitions depending on which Thai you talk to.

A good explanation here http://www.thaiskale.com/journal/gig-kik-gik-lovers-thailand-casual-polygamy-sexual-culture/

-

Canman's post was to a good reference that clearly states it's a recent slang word where the meaning is not well-defined, different groups within Thailand will use it to refer to different meanings.

The one thing all the different meanings seem to share is the "casual" element, no strong commitment is implied.

Some of the high & mighty comments here are mind boggling to me.

I have a serious GF in BKK, but I live and work on Koh Samui....where I have a gik that I occasionally spend time with. After honest & open discussion BOTH parties are well aware of each other. It could be my girl in BKK has a gik of her own when I am not with her. I don't know and I choose not to ask.

We are all adults and made these choices willingly. If some people think I am an adulterer....so be it. There are much worse things going on the daily lives of many people on Earth. At least we didn't lie to each other and try to hide & tip toe around the situation in which case it would have gone to hell in a hurry.

• Like 2

Many back home were more masculine than I,

I always feel sorry for the puney non manly guys in the world, it is very hard to be less manly than them as they generally aren't that manly themselves. wink.png

• Like 1

Here's a theory.

Most Thais, being traditionally conservative wrt sexual mores, would subconsciously assume that if a single unattached person is regularly having sex with a person, there is some degree of commitment to the relationship.

Since adultery is so commonplace here the context for more casual physical-only-playful relationships is generally associated with someone other than your primary partner.

Those Thais living in circles with more modern, sex-positive attitudes have come to be more aware that some people may choose to live without any committed partner at all, while for the rest this would be considered an unusual or even abnormal way to live.

thats koo non, a gik is someone who is taken and has a gik on the side, you cannot be single and have a gik, you can have a woman but its not called gik unless you have a woman already.

your refering to koo non.

i got 4 thai guys right here and you are going to say their all wrong, are you serious, perhaps you can give them some thai lessons.

Gik and koo non are the same. you have to be married, but wife 1 doesn't know about her. Whereas mia noi, your first wife or mia luang does know about. Thais really don't have much respect for the mia noi or the man involved.

That's the answer.

I think one thing we can all agree on is that there is no clear definition of a Gik.

Yes there is. Gik is your girl on the side your wife doesn't know about.

Ok, what ever you say mate.

I think one thing we can all agree on is that there is no clear definition of a Gik.

Yes there is. Gik is your girl on the side your wife doesn't know about.

Ok, what ever you say mate.

Well, he's right in one sense - that is a definition. Not the only one and not as unequivocally correct as he seems to think but it is a definition.

i think it is time to drop the squabble over the definition, the op didn't specify a wife at home so lets just move on.

Boo we are simply getting a feel for the op's thread which like any story involves working out the characters involved. It's important.....

...But your the boss.

i think it is time to drop the squabble over the definition, the op didn't specify a wife at home so lets just move on.

Boo we are simply getting a feel for the op's thread which like any story involves working out the characters involved. It's important.....

...But your the boss.

Let's move onthumbsup.gif .

What's adorable?

Well done to you for having a gik! I'm sure that's the sole reason behind starting off this topic..

Well done on your adulterous ways.

Er . . . gik is a relationship status, not adultery.

who or what is a "gik"?

A gik is a regular contact for exchanging energy, fun and affection.

Activities range from simply exchanging cheeky text messages, phone calls, dinner, cinema . . . all the way up to but not necessarily including sex (I personally don't see the point in committing to the emotional responsibilities of gikdom unless it includes the option of sex but that's just me).

The crucial yardstick for a viable gik-relationship is that it is fun.

Claiming rights to exclusivity can curb the fun factor, which is why most sensible people engaged in gik-ing tend not to claim exclusivity on their giks.

Some giks are very open to each other about the fact that they have other giks, whilst others prefer not to talk about it and create an illusion of exclusivity whilst engaged in contact, physical or otherwise. When out in public it is common for giks to assume the role of a couple, but when they part that is technically where it ends.

It is OK for giks to playfully express mild jealousy (remember, "fun") but any serious claims on exclusivity signal an end to gik status, one way or another.

It is not necessary to have a spouse / bf / gf to have gik.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1