Starting The Retirement Visa Process In Phnom Penh

I currently have a Retirement Visa. However, I will probably not be able to be back in Thailand to renew it before it expires since I'll be teaching in Cambodia.

So I may have to start the process over again.

Will I able to do this in Phnom Penh? I have Thai bankbooks with me showing more than 800K in the bank.

You cannot get a "retirement visa" in Cambodia. You'll have to apply for a single entry Non-O visa in Cambodia. When you enter Thailand, you will get 90 days permission to stay. During the last 30 days of that time go to the immigration office responsible for where you live and apply for a 1 year extension with the 800k seasoned for 2 months.

You do have a 30 day window to extend each year so if you could be here Sunday and process Monday seems it would only be one day lost if you live anywhere other than Jomtien (where passport is held overnight). If not a new non immigrant visa entry and extension as above. But if staying full time in Cambodia you could want until you planned to return to Thailand full time for a new retirement extension.

whistling.gif No, you can't get a Thai "retirement visa" while living in Cambodia.

A "retirement visa" is NOT a visa, it is in fact an extension of your current Non immigrant O visa based on you living in Thailand for more than 90 days at a time. The qualifying reason is retirement in Thailand.

That's why you have to do 90 day reporting.

You enter Thailand on a visa you get from a Thai consulate, either for 90 days or perhaps a multi-entry visa for a one year period (if you can get one, becoming difficult now in Southeast Asia).

Then in Thailand you extend that visa for a year based upon retirement in Thailand and LIVING IN THAILAND.

Therefore, if you are living in Cambodaia and you need to renew your Thai retirement "visa/extension" you can't do it because that extension/visa is based on you LIVING in Thailand for more than 90 days.

Do you see the logic that immigration uses?

If your extension expires while you are outside of Thailand, you need to start the process over again to get a new retirement extension.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 2

Thanks for the input guys!

The 30 day window is only before expiration? Or 30 days before and after? If I can extend my stay another year 30 days after expiration that would solve my problem.

I live near Jomtien. With the bank letter, it seems the best I can hope for is two days, and then have to book a flight.

Is starting the process over again with a 90 day visa in Phnim Penh problematic. Anyone have experience with the Thai Embassy in PP?

Actually you do not even need the non immigrant visa from a Consulate anymore as immigration can change a visa exempt or tourist vist for 2,000 baht and show of financials - so it is not a big thing to start over again and if you plan to live in Cambodia for a period of time I would just plan to do after you return to Thailand and plan to stay again. You get 15 days visa exempt and a tourist visa is easy to get (but often does take a few days in PP as it is not the normal next day service).

whistling.gif No, you can't get a Thai "retirement visa" while living in Cambodia.

A "retirement visa" is NOT a visa, it is in fact an extension of your current Non immigrant O visa based on you living in Thailand for more than 90 days at a time. The qualifying reason is retirement in Thailand.

You enter Thailand on a visa you get from a Thai consulate, either for 90 days or perhaps a multi-entry visa for a one year period (if you can get one, becoming difficult now in Southeast Asia).

Then in Thailand you extend that visa for a year based upon retirement in Thailand and LIVING IN THAILAND.

Therefore, if you are living in Cambodaia and you need to renew your Thai retirement "visa/extension" you can't do it because that extension/visa is based on you LIVING in Thailand for more than 90 days.

If your extension expires while you are outside of Thailand, you need to start the process over again to get a new retirement extension.

rolleyes.gif

I have not heard of your idea before.

I do not think that 90 day reports are required to "Qualify" for a Retirement extension.

I have had Retirement extensions for 15 years

I regularly Travel outside Thailand

And at times I am not here for 90 days - and consequently at those times I am not required to do a 90 day Report

This does NOT have any effect on my Retirement Extension.

Bill

Edited by WilliamIV

rolleyes.gif

Yes this information is quite mistaken, and shows misunderstanding of the process.

There is no requirement at all to stay in Thailand for 90 days consecutively after extending a non Imm O visa on the grounds of retirement and this is NOT the qualification. If this was the case why would you be able to buy multi re-entry permits and come in and out of Thailand whenever you like in whatever time frame you like?

You can get the extension, get a re-entry permit, leave Thailand for nine months, return, and re-extend if you want.

You cannot reapply for another extension outside Thailand, because it is not a visa. You can return for a week and reapply if you want providing you have a Thai address to give.

rolleyes.gif I have renewed/extended my original retirement visa three times.

I originally had a multi-entry Non O from Hull in October 2010, which actually expired in October 2011.

I'm now on my 3rd retirement extension and I have to renew it again in October 2013.

Same visa, stamped and extended for another year each October for 3 years now.

So I am on a 90 day reporting schedule for that reason, I'm living in Thailand as a retiree.

I've left Thailand and returned two times since then.

Each time I bought an exit re-entry permit to exit Thailand.

The exit re-entry permit allows you to break your 90 day reporting cycle.

When you return to Thailand your 90 schedule restarts from the day of your entry stamp as you enter Thailand.

Yes, if you are out of Thailand, even for longer than 90 days, you do not need to do 90 day reporting.

But if you are on a 90 day reporting schedule, and you leave Thailand without an exit re-entry permit, you may get only a 30 day stamp on arrival when re-entering Thailand.

And if you are out of Thailand without buying that exit re-entry permt, you may be fined for missing your 90 day reporting date

That's what the exit re-entry permit is for .... it allows you to interrupt your 90 day reporting cycle and restart it on your return to Thailand.

But the OP's original question was if he could renew a retiment Visa (extension) while living in Camboda.

The answer should be, No, you can't renew a retirement visa/extension while living in Cambodia.

The renewal of your retirement visa/extension can only be done at your local immigration in Thailand.

The last one I did was in October 2012 and I am due for my next renewal/extension in October 2013.

If you have been retired in Thailand 15 years you may be on the old rules and may be "grandfathered" into the new system.

I don't know about that.You may still be under the old rules.

But if you retired in at least the last three years (as I did) you need that exit re-entry permit when you leave Thailand.

Otherwise, the next time you have to do a 90 day report, you will be fined for missing your reporting date.

The exit re-entry permit "resets" your 90 day reporting clock.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

And if you are out of Thailand without buying that exit re-entry permt, you may be fined for missing your 90 day reporting date

Totally false - you only report if staying 90 days or more regardless and if you leave without a re-entry permit you have not done that.

That's what the exit re-entry permit is for .... it allows you to interrupt your 90 day reporting cycle and restart it on your return to Thailand.

Again false - the re-entry permit allows your return to continue your permitted to stay - not nothing to do with 90 day reporting.

But if you retired in at least the last three years (as I did) you need that exit re-entry permit when you leave Thailand.
Otherwise, the next time you have to do a 90 day report, you will be fined for missing your reporting date.

Has nothing to do with old or new rules - re-entry permit does not reset anything - your new entry starts a new 90 day stay for address reporting just as your exit prior to 90 days ended any reporting need for previous stay.

"And if you are out of Thailand without buying that exit re-entry permt, you may be fined for missing your 90 day reporting date"

I don't find a form for an 'exit re-entry' permit. Just a re-entry permit.

Ima, is there somewhere else I should be looking for the 'exit re-entry' form?

Terry

There is no permit to exit Thailand
Any body here Legally is free to leave at any time.

The Re-Entry Permit allows you to return on the same Terms
So if you have a Retirement Extension - the Re-Entry Permit keeps that Extension and its expiry date valid

90 day reporting has NOTHING to do with Visas / Extensions / Re-entry Permits

90 day reporting is a separate matter - ANYBODY in Thailand for 90 days has to report their address.

Bill

There are many questions concerning visas. Why can not the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs to have a clear rule, what is the case regarding the visa, and that all immigration authorities must adhere to the rule. It would facilitate the work of immigration officials, and avoid irritation of foreigners. Raise the fee for a visa rather than all of these visa run

I originally had a multi-entry Non O from Hull in October 2010, which actually expired in October 2011.

I'm now on my 3rd retirement extension and I have to renew it again in October 2013.

So I am on a 90 day reporting schedule for that reason, I'm living in Thailand as a retiree.

When you return to Thailand your 90 schedule restarts from the day of your entry stamp as you enter Thailand.

Yes, if you are out of Thailand, even for longer than 90 days, you do not need to do 90 day reporting.

But if you are on a 90 day reporting schedule, and you leave Thailand without an exit re-entry permit, you may get only a 30 day stamp on arrival when re-entering Thailand.

rolleyes.gif

For someone who has been here so long, you do not understand AT ALL about extensions, 90-day reporting and re-entry permits and have a complete hash-up in your mind about what you are actually doing.

Not so important that you don't understand personally, but it is if you then try to spread misunderstandings as an "expert" on a forum designed to give people useful and correct information!

1. A 90-day report has to be done by EVERY foreigner who stays more than 90 days in Thailand whatever their personal circumstances, visa, extension or whatever. So if you leave BEFORE you have spent 90 consecutive days in Thailand, you obviously don't need to make a 90 day report! It has nothing whatsoever to do with buying a re-entry permit!

2. A re-entry permit, as its name tells you, is permission to re-enter Thailand. A visa is also permission to enter Thailand. BUT when you are on an "extension of stay", like for example on the basis of retirement, you had a visa, that visa has now expired, but your permission to stay in the country has been extended by your application.

But your visa has EXPIRED, so you no longer have a current permission to enter the country, if you leave. Therefore you buy a "re-entry permit", which gives you permission to ENTER, even though you do not have a current visa that allows you to enter.

If you arrive in Thailand without a visa or re-entry permit you will be stamped in on a 30 day visa waiver. Your retirement extension is then invalidated because you have been given a 30 day ONLY permission to stay which takes precedence over your retirement extension permission, which is now invalid.

Understand?

Edited by partington
  • Like 1

I've left Thailand and returned two times since then.

Each time I bought an exit re-entry permit to exit Thailand.

But the OP's original question was if he could renew a retiment Visa (extension) while living in Camboda.

The answer should be, No, you can't renew a retirement visa/extension while living in Cambodia.

The renewal of your retirement visa/extension can only be done at your local immigration in Thailand.

The last one I did was in October 2012 and I am due for my next renewal/extension in October 2013.

If you have been retired in Thailand 15 years you may be on the old rules and may be "grandfathered" into the new system.

rolleyes.gif

Nice post, but I think you are missing that a Visa with "multiple entries" does not require a re-entry permit.

I have been on retirement extensions for 4 years. I often go to Malaysia, Singapore & Cambodia. As I have multiple entry visa I do not need a re-entry permit. When I return to Thailand I go to Immigration and they re-start me on the 90 day reporting sched. For instance, this time I returned across the border into Thailand 8 Mar 2013, stopped along the way at wife's relatives etc, got home to Hua Hin and went to Immigration 14 Mar, they set my next 90 day reporting date is 11 June. All as per what is stamped into my passport.

Also, at Hua Hin, there is no 30 day grace period for the annual renewal. We went to USA last year and asked about that as were not sure when we would return. Were told, "No, if even one day over the visa is finished and must start over" Wife went into the boss's office to get his opinion and he confirmed the same. But getting the next extension early is another matter, I have renewed as much as 5 weeks early, but it maybe depends on who calls yr number and if that person had a nice breakfast.

We were in USA 5 months. Returned before one year visa extension had expired so carried on as usual with 90 day reporting restarting after we returned

I have been on retirement extensions for 4 years. I often go to Malaysia, Singapore & Cambodia. As I have multiple entry visa I do not need a re-entry permit. When I return to Thailand I go to Immigration and they re-start me on the 90 day reporting sched. For instance, this time I returned across the border into Thailand 8 Mar 2013, stopped along the way at wife's relatives etc, got home to Hua Hin and went to Immigration 14 Mar, they set my next 90 day reporting date is 11 June. All as per what is stamped into my passport.

Also, at Hua Hin, there is no 30 day grace period for the annual renewal. We went to USA last year and asked about that as were not sure when we would return. Were told, "No, if even one day over the visa is finished and must start over" Wife went into the boss's office to get his opinion and he confirmed the same. But getting the next extension early is another matter, I have renewed as much as 5 weeks early, but it maybe depends on who calls yr number and if that person had a nice breakfast.

We were in USA 5 months. Returned before one year visa extension had expired so carried on as usual with 90 day reporting restarting after we returned

This makes no sense at all. If you are on an extension, you cannot, by very definition, have a multi-entry visa, although the visa that was the basis for your extension may have been a multi-entry visa that you extended permission to stay on, on your last permitted entry.

If you are on an extension, you do not have a current visa. if you did you would not need an extension, you would just exit the country and come back in.

If you mean you have re-applied for an O-A visa each year in your home country then you are not on an "extension"

Can you clarify?

This makes no sense at all. If you are on an extension, you cannot, by very definition, have a multi-entry visa, although the visa that was the basis for your extension may have been a multi-entry visa that you extended permission to stay on, on your last permitted entry.
If you are on an extension, you do not have a current visa. if you did you would not need an extension, you would just exit the country and come back in.
If you mean you have re-applied for an O-A visa each year in your home country then you are not on an "extension"
Can you clarify?
--------------------
Well, I will try…

My original visa was Non-Immigrant O, issued in Penang and nothing about multiple entry. I have always assumed that the little "NON-IMM" rubber stamp Hua Hin Immigration put in my passport before it expired, & every year since, are one year extensions of stay. Plus, each year I also pay the extra fee for the "MULTIPLE" rubber stamp to be added to it which I see that they do label as a "RE-ENTRY PERMIT".

So, to be politically correct I suppose I should have said I have a multiple entry extension of stay on a non-immigrant O visa. Does that sound right…?

It was Hua Hin Immigration that told us no grace period if we are not in their office to extend before the yearly expiration date. I have only been back to my home country once since leaving there in 1990.

It is not politically correct it is the only correct way to say it - multi entry visa and re-entry permits are entirely different things.

There has never been any 30 day grace period - you have confused the prior to expiration period allowed to apply for extension - you can apply up to 30 days early (not late). As you have found some will allow even earlier but will normally want a reason for this and recently it has become less common. Jomtien is the only major place reported to normally allow up to 60 days early but have not seen any recent reports. As for doing late they may refuse or allow a few days if you pay the overstay fine.

There are many questions concerning visas. Why can not the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs to have a clear rule, what is the case regarding the visa, and that all immigration authorities must adhere to the rule. It would facilitate the work of immigration officials, and avoid irritation of foreigners. Raise the fee for a visa rather than all of these visa run

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has nothing to do with immigration. Immigration is under the Interior Ministry.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is over embassies and consulate and sets the rules for visas.

The rules set by police orders for immigration issued extensions (not visas) are quite clear but many offices have their own rules.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually you do not even need the non immigrant visa from a Consulate anymore as immigration can change a visa exempt or tourist vist for 2,000 baht and show of financials - so it is not a big thing to start over again and if you plan to live in Cambodia for a period of time I would just plan to do after you return to Thailand and plan to stay again. You get 15 days visa exempt and a tourist visa is easy to get (but often does take a few days in PP as it is not the normal next day service).

So it would seem I have three choices.

1) Get a 15 day tourist stamp (30 by air) and then go to Jomtien, pay 2000 baht, show financials, get the non immigrant visa which gives me 90 days and then at the end of 90 days get an extension of stay for one year.

2) Get a 60 day Tourist Visa and follow the same procedure as above.

3) Get the 90 day non immigrant in Phnom Penh.

It seems that instead of going to the thai Consulate in Phnom Penh most guys just let a travel agent do it for them for a few extra bucks.

But if it's easy I'd prefer to get the 90 days in Phnom Penh. Can that be done through the travel agent or must I visit the consulate.

It is permissible for me to get the 60 or 90 day visa while my extension of stay is still in effect, right?

I seriously doubt any Consulate will issue a visa while you have a valid extension/re-entry permit (which in effect is a visa). Also expect about 4 day processing time in PP when/if you do make application. I would just wait until re-entry permit expires and then do the visa application.

Thanks Lopburi for your help.

I wonder if there is any other downside to starting over again.

I've had a one year extension of stay for five consecutive years now. If I return before expiration it'll be my sixth year. I remember hearing somewhere that at some point, maybe 5 or 10 years, then you don't have to renew every year. So I suppose I would be resetting the clock?

Thanks Lopburi for your help.

I wonder if there is any other downside to starting over again.

I've had a one year extension of stay for five consecutive years now. If I return before expiration it'll be my sixth year. I remember hearing somewhere that at some point, maybe 5 or 10 years, then you don't have to renew every year. So I suppose I would be resetting the clock?

You renew every year, there is no resetting the clock or a change after 5 or 10 years.

For retirement there is no downside (there is no 10 years and get out of jail free card) but for marriage it could upset PR continuous stay if intent to apply for that (not available to those on retirement).