Refresh Button

tutsiwarrior

I just bought a new laptop, real nice one. However when I get into TV I find that I am into the previous day''s windows and have to hit the refresh button to get into the current window. This happens on all levels of the forum from the main forum to individual pages of threads. This never useta happen before even with my old 210Mhz, 32k RAM machine. Maybe there's a switch that has to be manipulated on the new machine (running on windows XP)? Happens on other websites as well, ie., BBC.

Now either the new laptop is just too sophisticated or I am being brutalised again (the BBC and TV in cahoots against poor ol' tuts)

Any advice?

Hi Tuts,

just looked at the View SOurce for a page and noticed there is no "don't cache" MetaTags etc, so the page is probably caching. One way of stopping that is to clear the cache when leaving. Presuming IE6 (as you said XP) - go to Tools=>Internet Options=>Advanced Tab - in the Scrolling Panel, go to Security Section and find "Empty Internet Temp Folders ...etc" and check the box. Then go to the General Tab and click on the Settings Button under Temp Internet Files and check the radio button that says "Automatically".

Hope this helps :o

Hi Tuts,

just looked at the View SOurce for a page and noticed there is no "don't cache" MetaTags etc, so the page is probably caching. One way of stopping that is to clear the cache when leaving. Presuming IE6 (as you said XP) - go to Tools=>Internet Options=>Advanced Tab - in the Scrolling Panel, go to Security Section and find "Empty Internet Temp Folders ...etc" and check the box. Then go to the General Tab and click on the Settings Button under Temp Internet Files and check the radio button that says "Automatically".

Hope this helps :o

Exactly. This is normally the default setting (at least it was during the last 8-10 Windoze installs that I've done).

I learned this years ago the hard way as well, only I didn't have a forum full of helpful people like this one to get information from :D

Yes KerryD, the problem these day is though that a lot of the box-builders build the OS from a Hard Drive backup (disk image) of a pre-built machine so there's no extra work to do building (like extra drivers etc). That leads the problem that if they have changed the MS defaults, then it get propogated down to every box they build from then on!

Edited by wolf5370

The problem miraculously sorted itself out without my intervention. If any of the admins had a hand in it then please accept my thanks and gratitude.

See?...tutsi was always a good lad...a bit confused at times but a good lad that supports TV nonetheless...

The problem miraculously sorted itself out without my intervention. If any of the admins had a hand in it then please accept my thanks and gratitude.

See?...tutsi was always a good lad...a bit confused at times but a good lad that supports TV nonetheless...

We loves you too Tutsi :o