Food Carts - They Are More Then Slightly Annoying

ruds

I would enjoy to watch, and sure it would be very exciting, a starting grid of 50+ of these motor bike/sidecars at the Bira Racing Circuit.

The lack of driving skills, including the total unawareness of other vehicles, would add to the excitement. cheesy.gif

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys, I have taken on board all your advice and decided to quit expressing my opinion on things that annoy me in Thailand. I should learn to live and let live. Ill just post boring, happy, non-controversial things from now on. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Hi Guys, I have taken on board all your advice and decided to quit expressing my opinion on things that annoy me in Thailand. I should learn to live and let live. Ill just post boring, happy, non-controversial things from now on. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

The food carts are annoying when they block the footpaths . But for something really annoying : How about walking the gauntlet by these moto taxi jerks .? Every corner is full of them with cigarette smoke and hostile vibes. The best I can do is ignore them. Edited by morrobay

The problem is TOO MANY DARN CARS driving around town, taking up way too much space when a scooter would carry the one or two occupants just the same. Then the motorbikes and sidecar bikes and food carts wouldn't have to pick their way thru the auto traffic, who are probably clogging the roads trying to find a parking space where one doesn't exist.

Darn cars!

And it seems to be getting worse with cars and pick-up trucks. It seems to take forever to drive around almost anywhere in Pattaya.

The m/c is quicker if not really safer.

I put a carry box on the back of the m/c and it is so much easier for shopping except for the weekly shop, to go and get a few things.

• Like 1

Don't worry about it Ruds, you've given the '<deleted> off home then' brigade their chance to come out of the woodwork and already attracted 2 pages of comments.

But to be fair the traffic problems in Pattaya are mainly caused by the motor car and so the drivers of these cars are to blame not food vendors. Try leaving your car at home or on the outskirts and use the baht bus or M/C taxi instead. Owning and driving a car is very stressful and is one of the things many folk come to Pattaya to escape from. You should be wanting to get out of the rat race not help to contribute to it. Seriously what falang actually needs a car in Pattaya when the transport system is so efficient and parking is practically impossible anyway.

Personally I think any falang who comes to live in Pattaya and wants a car should have his head examined.

• Like 1

Right on above regarding the major increase in traffic as the real annoying problem. Seems like every Thai and their brother has a pickup truck for driving around in circles.

Yet still the baht buses still multiply in number - strange indeed eh?

you could always sell your car and buy a one way flight ticket to your home country: voila problem solved no more annoying street carts slowing you down on your drive to the local bar

Edited by yoslim
  • Like 1

Food carts are the main street furniture in Thailand. They were there when Buddha was a boy.

Pattaya had them during its early years and I couldn't imagine how the Thai girls would exist if the food carts disappeared for good.

Besides, Pattaya is a walking city. Everything is within walking distance so cars are not required but a good variety of Thai street food is always welcome.

• Like 2

They don't annoy you coz you drive a motorbike and not a car.

I ride a bike.... and I find the cars a lot more annoying that street carts. I have zero sympathy for people who drive cars being inconvenienced. They are the main reason our streets are congested ie. people driving big cars with only a few passengers at most, turning streets into parking lots.

I use 2 of these street carts in our local street and some in other areas and my wife and I are thankful for them. Fruit and barbecue carts are the ones we use and they provide good quality food.

Welcome to Thailand!

Edited by tropo

Food cart is a pretty nifty way to start a business, imagine back in the west trying to start some kinds of shop, you'd be buried in regulations, plus no rents overheads, except maybe for the cart, which you could use for personal transport, too bad you can't live in on one

I admire those who run them.

For not too much capital they can start a little business and if they work hard and provide good food and a friendly service can take some pride in having their own business.

It must take a lot of effort, fair play to them.

I don`t use them all that often but handy for a snack whilst out and about sometimes.

Stop sulking. It's a fact that people like you are the ones causing the traffic jams. If you gave me a brand new car I would sell it immediately. I can't think of any reason to drive one here. I would guess that if you live in the suburbs of a major city in your home country you probably think twice before taking your car into the city too. Well the same applies here - leave it at home.

The food carts have more right to be here as they provide a very convenient service to the community.

Tropo Has Spoken...................

I would sooner be safe in my slow car than a target on two wheels.

Stop sulking. It's a fact that people like you are the ones causing the traffic jams. If you gave me a brand new car I would sell it immediately. I can't think of any reason to drive one here. I would guess that if you live in the suburbs of a major city in your home country you probably think twice before taking your car into the city too. Well the same applies here - leave it at home.

The food carts have more right to be here as they provide a very convenient service to the community.

Tropo Has Spoken...................

I would sooner be safe in my slow car than a target on two wheels.

If you don't mind spending half your day stuck in traffic that's your choice, but don't complain when you get in the way of food carts.

Edited by tropo

They don't bother me too much.

The only time they annoy me is when they take up too much space on the sidewalk. For example, a 10ft wide path is narrowed to 2ft wide after they've parked a cart on each side and left themselves a generous amount of leg room. Sucks when the sidewalk is full of people trying to walk through. The worst are the carts with hot, smoky barbecues facing the pedestrians. Not a fan of the guys that dump their burnt oil or grubby water down the road, either. In BKK, by the way.

I don't complain about the food though! Eat it all the time. Make sure that stuff is freshly cooked or at least hot when you buy it though.

• Like 1

They don't annoy you coz you drive a motorbike and not a car.

I ride a bike.... and I find the cars a lot more annoying that street carts. I have zero sympathy for people who drive cars being inconvenienced. They are the main reason our streets are congested ie. people driving big cars with only a few passengers at most, turning streets into parking lots.

I use 2 of these street carts in our local street and some in other areas and my wife and I are thankful for them. Fruit and barbecue carts are the ones we use and they provide good quality food.

Welcome to Thailand!

Well said but it's rather presumptive to refer to 'our streets' in any context about Thailand. Falang ex pats even if married to a Thai are merely tolerated guests in the LOS who are only legally there providing they meet the necessary visa and financial criteria. They can be shown the door at a moment's notice.

About 12 years back all food carts were banned from Pattayaland but the owners of motorcycles for hire were permitted to use part of the streets as a storage facility for their motor bikes. Money talks and the ones who suffered were the vendors and the Thais who relied on the carts for their meals while the big parked M/Cs had to be stepped around by pedestrians attempting to keep to the 'pavements' were they making their way to Beach Rd. It's still the same now even though Pattayaland is but a shadow of its former self.

It was something of a mystery as to how these fleets of motorcycles paid their way as they were seldom rented out. They were always parked up year in year out.

the cart sellers may disagree with you, when they taking home around 5000 baht every day.

In the soi where i live, half of the houses are filled and owned by the cart sellers,so i see them going to work and coming back,

While it looks like a waste of time, houses are owned, new cars in the garages.

I disagree with the livelihood statement ... It's just like saying leaves

the thieves and gold chains snatchers alone, that's their livelihood.

They are annoying because they are 100% inconsiderate by blocking

normal traffic flow and creating hazards all over the place. If it's important

I have been here over 16 years, drive only car now and totally agree with

the OP.

As the city grows, they need to place restriction as to where they are

allowed on the street and where not. Just like it is in Bangkok. Many

major streets are off limits for these jerks.

luudee

• Like 2

I disagree with the livelihood statement ... It's just like saying leaves

the thieves and gold chains snatchers alone, that's their livelihood.

They are annoying because they are 100% inconsiderate by blocking

normal traffic flow and creating hazards all over the place. If it's important

I have been here over 16 years, drive only car now and totally agree with

the OP.

As the city grows, they need to place restriction as to where they are

allowed on the street and where not. Just like it is in Bangkok. Many

major streets are off limits for these jerks.

luudee

Sadly no one cares and no one will do anything, because if they do, there would be an uproar of those cart owners, claiming local government ie city hall is taking away their livelihood.

The problem is TOO MANY DARN CARS driving around town, taking up way too much space when a scooter would carry the one or two occupants just the same. Then the motorbikes and sidecar bikes and food carts wouldn't have to pick their way thru the auto traffic, who are probably clogging the roads trying to find a parking space where one doesn't exist.

Darn cars!

And it seems to be getting worse with cars and pick-up trucks. It seems to take forever to drive around almost anywhere in Pattaya.

The m/c is quicker if not really safer.

I put a carry box on the back of the m/c and it is so much easier for shopping except for the weekly shop, to go and get a few things.

i put a backpak on my wife for shopping!!

Well said but it's rather presumptive to refer to 'our streets' in any context about Thailand. Falang ex pats even if married to a Thai are merely tolerated guests in the LOS who are only legally there providing they meet the necessary visa and financial criteria. They can be shown the door at a moment's notice.

I used the term "our local street". This is common terminology for a street where you live.

... and I disagree with your comment that we are "merely tolerated guests". "We" are essential in this area. "We" are the life blood of the tourist area where I live. "We" provide a living for all of the Thais in this area and some of them are doing very well. As far as Pattaya is concerned, they love us here. I can't speak for other areas of Thailand.

Always surprises me how tourist assume the vendors are making pennies.

In the wifes village in buriram the next door neighbour is making around 10,000 baht a day from a food stall .

I wish i could make that , the worlds changing and thais are becoming fairly wealthy.

Always surprises me how tourist assume the vendors are making pennies.

In the wifes village in buriram the next door neighbour is making around 10,000 baht a day from a food stall .

I wish i could make that , the worlds changing and thais are becoming fairly wealthy.

They probably wouldn't know how much they are making - that would be takings, not profit.