Where In Los Can I Find Prague Pink Nitrite [6.25%] Salt For Curing Bacon?

jaideeguy

I did exactly the same Turk and it took 3 emails before they replied with this..........

Hallo,

my experience by produce ham is, that our Nitritpökelsalz with 0,8-0,9 % Nitrit is

the right way.

it´s enough power for red colour.

Don´t change the prozess, make all the same.

In Germany we discuss it is possible to reduce the Nitrit to 0,4-0,5 % in the salt, but

today we have no change.

If you need more information please contact me.

Best regards

Hans

Hans-Christian Naue-Schütz

Anwendungstechniker/Key Account Manager

Indasia Gewürzwerk GmbH
Malberger Straße 19
D-49124 Georgsmarienhütte

Tel.: +49-5401-337-0

Mobil: +49-1520-9337327

Fax.: +49-5401-337-37

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well...
Seems the brine salt from Royal Phuket is a fake.
I wrote to them in german language and got this answer:

Translation:

We are sorry, but you didn't buy an Indasia product. This is a fake product.

Hallo Herr xxxxx,

Sie haben leider kein INDASIA-Produkt gekauft. Es handelt sich hierbei um eine Fälschung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
INDASIA GEWÜRZWERK GmbH
i.A. Katharina Kleinheider
- Sekretariat-

Indasia Gewürzwerk GmbH
Malberger Str. 19
49124 Georgsmarienhütte

Fon: +49 (0) 5401 33718
Fax: +49 (0) 5401 33788

eMail: [email protected]
Internet: www.indasia.com

nice.....sick.gif

well...

Translation:

Hallo Herr xxxxx,

Sie haben leider kein INDASIA-Produkt gekauft. Es handelt sich hierbei um eine Fälschung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

INDASIA GEWÜRZWERK GmbH

- Sekretariat-

Indasia Gewürzwerk GmbH

Malberger Str. 19

49124 Georgsmarienhütte

nice.....sick.gif
The company you buy it from is Royal Exquisite, not Indasia. Indasia are just one of the companies that Royal Exquisite import from.

I buy this salt by the 15kg sack, it's a real curing salt from a known German brand (sorry can't remember which) it's not fake.

The company you buy it from is Royal Exquisite, not Indasia. Indasia are just one of the companies that Royal Exquisite import from.

I buy this salt by the 15kg sack, it's a real curing salt from a known German brand (sorry can't remember which) it's not fake.

well, and why do they (Royal Exquisite) put an "Indasia" label on the pack, if it's from.....??

Fact is, the 1 Kg pack I bought, is not a legit Indasia product.

It *might* be, that they (Royal Exquisite), buy it in bigger (20kg) units from Indasia or some importer and repack/refill it in 1 Kg units?

But nobody knows.

I usually don't care a shit about fakes, but if it *could* resulting in health problems, that's another story...

Edited by Turkleton

well, and why do they (Royal Exquisite) put an "Indasia" label on the pack, if it's from.....??

Fact is, the 1 Kg pack I bought, is not a legit Indasia product.

It *might* be, that they (Royal Exquisite), buy it in bigger (20kg) units from Indasia or some importer and repack/refill it in 1 Kg units?

But nobody knows.

I usually don't care a shit about fakes, but if it *could* resulting in health problems, that's another story...

I think it's imported through the company that runs the SE Asia side of Indasia that's based in Singapore, but it's not an Indasia product so Indasia told you it's fake. Maybe Royal Exquisite shouldn't be using their Indasia labels on their packaging, but it's not fake. They just open the 15kg sacks so they can sell it in smaller packages to keen amateur curers like yourself who wouldn't want to buy 15kg at a time.

Nothing fake, no health risks in anyway and as I said in my previous post I buy it by the sack in the original packaging. The sack has all the information and brand name on the side. I'll be getting a couple more sacks soon so will post a picture of it then.

What the manager[of Royal], named Stephen?? said that Indasia was a new product to replace an Australian company's product and was the same specs and to use it as if it was the Aus product in our recipes. I'll try to look up the name of the Aus product.

but it's not an Indasia product so Indasia told you it's fake.

Maybe Royal Exquisite shouldn't be using their Indasia labels on their packaging, but it's not fake...

They just open the 15kg sacks so they can sell it in smaller packages......

What would you call a cheap watch from the beach road, labelled as "Rolex"?

Yep, *maybe* they *shouldn't* use the label.....

But as they do it, for me it's a fake "Indasia" product.

Period.

As mentioned above, the product itself might fulfill the same Quality Standard as Indasia's.

And I don't really care about brand names...rolleyes.gif

But why in hells name, do they use the Indasia label?

Why not just print a label with the correct brand name and all needed information?

I know this is Thailand, but.......

What the manager[of Royal], named Stephen?? said that Indasia was a new product to replace an Australian company's product...

INDASIA is a well known, german company which seem to target mainly professional customers. (Thats my impression after visiting their home page)

Edited by Turkleton

The package i Received from Royal, states:

Product Code # 6211, net weight 1.0 KG, 0944 601 055A

Has a logo "Hela"

NITRITE BRINE SALT

At the bottom of the label has -10-3-26949-1-0119

Exclusive in Thailand by Royal Exquisite Foods Ltd. Part.

With its Logo and 4 Addresses of its Thailand distributors.

As I have been using this product for a long time and Theseahorse has also been using it in larger quantities, no health problems.

If you do not like the product do not use it!

But all have a right to make their own decisions whether to use it or not.

I will continue to use it as I have had no problems with it and it works great for me, I see no reason in what has been posted on this topic, as any logical reason I would consider to stop using it.

Cheers:smile.png

At the bottom of the label has -10-3-26949-1-0119

Exactly.....

As I have been using this product for a long time and Theseahorse has

also been using it in larger quantities, no health problems

good smile.png

If you do not like the product do not use it!

Where do you read, that I don't like the product? I love it!

I am not complaining about the product, but the label, which should be replaced by an authentic one with imprinted ingredients.

If this would be the case, such discussions wouldn't even appear. Correct?

But all have a right to make their own decisions whether to use it or not.

I see no reason in what has been posted on this topic, as any logical reason I would consider to stop using it

If you see a reason or not...up to you.

But I like to know what's inside my food and if it's not imprinted, this is a reason for me, asking the manufacturer. Acceptable?

This is an open forum, where everybody has the right to post. And I posted just facts.

'And if you don't like it, I would consider to stop reading it'...tongue.png

I think, everything is said and I will clean my cured bacon now.

peace...wai2.gif

Edited by Turkleton

Jaideeguy, I would not increase the amount of Nitrite Brine Salt by (7) times the amount, on the information posted on this topic until I get the correct answers from those in the know! I believe if you do that on the information stated here you will be inviting an extreme health hazard to yourself and anyone that eats your cured meat.

In reading the response you received from Royal, I read a positive response, Re: strength is enough to keep the red color, and to properly cure the ham (do not change the process) in Germany they discussed lowering the amount of Nitrite in their product to. 0.4-0.5%. If you have any more questions to contact them again.

Why would any company fake and market such a Low cost product, makes no sense, they buy it in bigger sacks and repackage it. If they have changed suppliers or use multiple suppliers as my package had a "Hela" logo and was a Hela product repackaged in one kilo bags by Royal.

U. S. measurement standards differ from most of the rest of the world, which has confused some of those on this forum.

You are free to reject my argument, take care!

Jaideeguy,

Hela Deutschland, is a Australian company, with the same logo ("Hela" favors your world) on my package from Royal Exquisite.

Google it and click contact for the address and phone numbers in Germany.

Hope that is helpful!

Jaideeguy, I would not increase the amount of Nitrite Brine Salt by (7) times the amount, on the information posted on this topic until I get the correct answers from those in the know! I believe if you do that on the information stated here you will be inviting an extreme health hazard to yourself and anyone that eats your cured meat.

In reading the response you received from Royal, I read a positive response, Re: strength is enough to keep the red color, and to properly cure the ham (do not change the process) in Germany they discussed lowering the amount of Nitrite in their product to. 0.4-0.5%. If you have any more questions to contact them again.

Why would any company fake and market such a Low cost product, makes no sense, they buy it in bigger sacks and repackage it. If they have changed suppliers or use multiple suppliers as my package had a "Hela" logo and was a Hela product repackaged in one kilo bags by Royal.

U. S. measurement standards differ from most of the rest of the world, which has confused some of those on this forum.

You are free to reject my argument, take care!

I fully understand you not wanting to just trust something you read on Thai visa, but do some research online. As I mentioned a few times in this thread, you are not using the American style cure#1 you are using what the rest of the world use. Take a look at my previous post about the different names used across the world and Google it. Curing salt is designed to be added at about 30g to each kg of meat. If you look at any recipe it will have a total of about 30g per kg in, in the states you add a little cure #1 and kosher salt but the rest of the world buys it pre mixed so just adds about 30g /kg. Exactly the same end result, just a different way of getting there.

Here's a very good website on curing that explains both the US style and the European salt types. It also has a cure calculator. Put in the amount of the European cure(Peklosol)into it you add per kg of meat and see what it says.

www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-making/curing

Here's another link that confirms the nitrite strength of European and other cures...........

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4794

note:

"The strength of nitrates and nitrites themselves
do not vary. It is the amount added to a sodium chloride (salt) carrier
that makes a cure stronger or weaker in comparison to others. One MUST
look at the label to be safe. In Sweden, folks call their product
Colorazo at 0.6% nitrite. In France, it’s Sel nitrite’ at 0.6% nitrite.
In Poland, the nitrited salt cure Peklosol is available at 0.6% nitrite,
and in Germany, it is Pokelsalz at 0.6% nitrite content in salt. As you
can see, Prague Powder Cure #1 in America is ten and a half times stronger than European cures, with the exception of some of those in the UK.
"

Having read this and the helpful posts on this topic, I now feel more secure in my curing with this European blend. It does make the cost of curing 10X higher with the lower nitrite, but at least I'll feel safer, but with this Indasia cure [@0.8-0.9% nitrite], I'll cut cure a bit.

IF anyone does find the US cure #1 here in LOS, please inform me by PM or this thread.

Thanks in advance...........

Edited by jaideeguy

Here's another link that confirms the nitrite strength of European and other cures...........

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4794

note:

"The strength of nitrates and nitrites themselves

do not vary. It is the amount added to a sodium chloride (salt) carrier

that makes a cure stronger or weaker in comparison to others. One MUST

look at the label to be safe. In Sweden, folks call their product

Colorazo at 0.6% nitrite. In France, it’s Sel nitrite’ at 0.6% nitrite.

In Poland, the nitrited salt cure Peklosol is available at 0.6% nitrite,

and in Germany, it is Pokelsalz at 0.6% nitrite content in salt. As you

can see, Prague Powder Cure #1 in America is ten and a half times stronger than European cures, with the exception of some of those in the UK."

Having read this and the helpful posts on this topic, I now feel more secure in my curing with this European blend. It does make the cost of curing 10X higher with the lower nitrite, but at least I'll feel safer, but with this Indasia cure [@0.8-0.9% nitrite], I'll cut cure a bit.

IF anyone does find the US cure #1 here in LOS, please inform me by PM or this thread.

Thanks in advance...........

I've actually always found it cheaper using the European cures. The curing salt is 10x cheaper than the concentrated US version and you don't need to buy the extra salt either.

So, Seahorse.....just curious what you are smoking and would you mind sharing a recipe?? When I was using the US pink salt, I was using approx 50gr salt to 50gr sugar and 8 grams of cure for about 3 kilos of belly bacon....dry rub in fridg for 7 to 10 days. How would I adjust that ratio of salt/sugar/cure to get the sweeter taste that Iike??

Keeping in mind that Indasia cure claims to be .8 to .9% and not .6

I'll understand if you have your 'secret' recipes, but just the basics will do.

Thanks in advance

Edited by jaideeguy

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe things have changed recently (I didn't order anything recently from Royal as I have a stock for the next years) but they are/were the importer for Thailand of Hela, a German conglomerate of food additives. This company doesn't cater for the end user, but to the manufacturers, so you can not buy 100 gr of your favourite spice over there. I have a 30-40 page catalogue from them, and they can deliver really everyting you need for making meat products. You need 1000 meters sheep casings, 25 kg Frankfurter mix, something that let look your sausige more red ? They deliver it. Clearly not fake, It is just not on there public website as it is for the professionals. But if you contact them as a private person, they are willing to help you.

Their nitrate brine salt is the real thing - I use it for years, and me and my family are still in good health. As someone else already said, forget for one moment this American pink salt thing. That is just invented by a stupid psychopath. Do the calculation by yourself, if a recipe says for instance 20 gr pink salt + 80 gr normal salt, your calculation will show you that it's the equivalent of 100 gr of Hela nitrate salt. Why make it complicated and take the risk that you make a miscalulation ? After all, with these products, you better make no mistakes ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

I checked all the leads I could find on Nitrite Brine Salt and just came up with using 17 grams (of 0.9 cure) per kilo of meat.

Actually it comes out almost the same that, I have been using, except it tell me to cut down on the salt in my recipe, I will continue using my recipe as I did before. It has never come out to salty as I give it a ice water bath for at least an hour, any way.

Edited by kikoman

Well, I finally received some good old American Prague salt #1 in the mail. I found it from http://www.thespicehouse.com @ $6.99/lb and had it sent to a friend in California, who resent it to me here. end cost for a pound after postage was about $30, but it will process 400lbs of meat, so not too expensive if you look at it that way. Anyway, I'm set for a while and feel a lot better using the 6.25%.

Sourcing the most common things here can be such a challenge...........

I think that someone could make a decent income from importing just 2 items into LOS......Real Masa flour and Prague pink salt

Edited by jaideeguy

i am a bit of topic,i need skins and elastic nets for making Coppa,anybody knows where to get them?

The nets are easy to get here, but getting the large beef casings is not so easy. For my Coppas I usually wrap them in muslin for the first month and then hang unwrapped and sprayed with white mold (bactoferm 600) for the final aging.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I right to think the main reason for needing nitrites is to kill botulisum, and that in bacon this would be killed by cooking anyway? More necessary with salami etc

Sounds reasonable, but not the sort of thing I'm very keen on taking a chance with!

Am I right to think the main reason for needing nitrites is to kill botulisum, and that in bacon this would be killed by cooking anyway? More necessary with salami etc

Sounds reasonable, but not the sort of thing I'm very keen on taking a chance with!

The main danger to adult humans is the toxin produced by the bacteria - not the bacteria itslef. High heat does deactivate it but as I recall, it takes about 20 minutes of heating to fully deactivate the toxin. By the way, the word "botulism" is derived from "botulus" which is latin for sausage. (Thanks, Wikipedia)

• 8 months later...

i am a bit of topic,i need skins and elastic nets for making Coppa,anybody knows where to get them?

The nets are easy to get here, but getting the large beef casings is not so easy..........

Where can you get the nets?

• 1 month later...

I can confirm what people have said in this thread about the concentration of sodium nitrite to be used is correct. I recently came back from a trip to the U.S. I bought some powdered jerky seasonings that came with a salt cure. The salt cure included with the jerky seasonings is 0.85% sodium nitrite. I also bought some pink curing salt that is identical to Prague Powder # 1 (6.25% sodium nitrite). So when I make my own dry jerky seasonings I will need to add salt to the pink salt to bring the concentration down to 0.85%. Since the curing salt from Royal Group is 0.80% I would say this is an acceptable and safe product. When I run out of the pink salt I will simply buy the curing salt from Royal Group and use it straight from the package and adjust recipes accordingly.

• 1 month later...

well...

Translation:

Hallo Herr xxxxx,

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

INDASIA GEWÜRZWERK GmbH

- Sekretariat-

Indasia Gewürzwerk GmbH

Malberger Str. 19

49124 Georgsmarienhütte

nice.....sick.gif

So useing this curing salt from RE , when the pork is cured does it taste like real bacon or salt pork.

thanks.

........., when the pork is cured does it taste like real bacon or salt pork.

thanks.

Without smoking the pork, you will never get a "bacon taste", with or without curing salt.

But using curing salt you will get a nice, red coloured "salt pork" wink.png

PS: The curing salt from RE works perfectly.

........., when the pork is cured does it taste like real bacon or salt pork.

thanks.

Without smoking the pork, you will never get a "bacon taste", with or without curing salt.

But using curing salt you will get a nice, red coloured "salt pork" wink.png

PS: The curing salt from RE works perfectly.

Smoke taste aside, if you don't use nitrites/nitrates, the bacon will have a flavor that's often described as "porky". Also, while Americans may consider smoking essential to bacon, in the UK, unsmoked bacon is widely available.