Where In Los Can I Find Prague Pink Nitrite [6.25%] Salt For Curing Bacon?

jaideeguy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smoke taste aside, if you don't use nitrites/nitrates, the bacon will have a flavor that's often described as "porky". Also, while Americans may consider smoking essential to bacon, in the UK, unsmoked bacon is widely available.

Nope, the flavour is not different between salt and curing salt...(maybe some kind of imagination).

I am from Germany and yes, un-smoked, but cured "bacon pork" is also available, but if you talk about real Bacon, you talk about the smoked variant!

Nitrites/nitrates have no effect on the taste.

From Wikipedia:

As an additive, the sodium nitrite or nitrate serves to inhibit the growth of bacteria, specifically Clostridium botulinum in an effort to prevent botulism, and helps preserve the color of cured meat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curing_salt

SUMMARY: if you want the real taste of bacon, you have to smoke the cured pork...

Edited by vel_tins

Smoke taste aside, if you don't use nitrites/nitrates, the bacon will have a flavor that's often described as "porky". Also, while Americans may consider smoking essential to bacon, in the UK, unsmoked bacon is widely available.

Nope, the flavour is not different between salt and curing salt...(maybe some kind of imagination).

I am from Germany and yes, un-smoked, but cured "bacon pork" is also available, but if you talk about real Bacon, you talk about the smoked variant!

From Wikipedia:

As an additive, the sodium nitrite or nitrate serves to inhibit the growth of bacteria, specifically Clostridium botulinum in an effort to prevent botulism, and helps preserve the color of cured meat.

SUMMARY: if you want the real taste of bacon, you have to smoke the cured pork...

In your opinion. yes. In the opinion of most top experts, curing DOES change the taste.

Smoked bacon and unsmoked bacon are totally different. Just because you like the taste of one, doesn't mean that the other is not tasty. Each and to their own.

being a bacon butty addict I make do with a dry mix,the salt the wf.buys on the market about 10-12x40gm.packets for 10bht.its in small pkts.with pink lettering. this is to 1kilo pork,loin or belly.

1x table sp.brown sugar.

dried herbs,thyme,rosemary,garlic powder and some mustard seeds. brined for a week,washed and soaked in cold water overnight then dried in the fridge uncovered till you get that shiney look,sometimes a brushing of liquid smoke.

the mrs.doesn't mind it either.

From Wikipedia:

Sorry but Yep, sodium nitrite does alter the flavor of pork. As Michael Ruhlman the author of Charcuterie writes, "It's what give pork that distinctive hammy taste.... here's a link

http://books.google.co.th/books?id=iX55tiQfXIgC&pg=PA219&lpg=PA219&dq=michael+ruhlman+effects+of+nitrites+on+taste&source=bl&ots=lTugvcQ5qM&sig=BuCU0gOnc6AMmqx6Syv_i-X0nPc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=CbiTU6aHCsihugTc4ICACw&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=michael%20ruhlman%20effects%20of%20nitrites%20on%20taste&f=false

The idea that because something has one effect means that it can't have another is obviously untrue. That's like saying because salt contributes to flavor, it can't have a curing effect as well. Or vice versa, for that matter. Just nonsense.

As for smoking being essential to making bacon... maybe if Germany had succeeded in it's imperial ambitions and imposed it's bacon standards on the world, you might have a point. It's like saying that the air cured hams from France, Italy, and Spain aren't the real thing because they aren't smoked like German ones. Just silly.

...... Just because you like the taste of one, doesn't mean that the other is not tasty. Each and to their own.

And you've read this statement from me, exactly where?

maybe if Germany had succeeded in it's imperial ambitions and imposed it's bacon standards on the world, you might have a point. It's like saying that the air cured hams from France, Italy, and Spain aren't the real thing because they aren't smoked like German ones. Just silly.

Respect, your best argument in a discussion about bacon, is a racial slur?

Well, after that BS, I've stopped reading the rest of your post.

Welcome in my "ignore troll list"!

wai2.gif

Thanks to the latest posts to this thread I have a batch of green bacon curing. Used pork belly with skin removed. Being an American I never heard of unsmoked bacon before. Looking forward to trying it in about a week or so. :-D

...... Just because you like the taste of one, doesn't mean that the other is not tasty. Each and to their own.

And you've read this statement from me, exactly where?

maybe if Germany had succeeded in it's imperial ambitions and imposed it's bacon standards on the world, you might have a point. It's like saying that the air cured hams from France, Italy, and Spain aren't the real thing because they aren't smoked like German ones. Just silly.

Respect, your best argument in a discussion about bacon, is a racial slur?

Well, after that BS, I've stopped reading the rest of your post.

Welcome in my "ignore troll list"!

wai2.gif

That's one way to tuck your tail between your legs. Oops, is that a racial slur, too? I wasn't aware that the Germans were a race. Thought that piece of nonsense was laid to rest about 70 years ago.

• 4 months later...

Hi I am using indasia nitrite brine first time. Following ruhlmans dry rub cure of 450g salt 50g pink salt 225g sugar.

I doubled the amount so I mixed 1kg of indasia nitrite brine salt (in place of the other 2 salts) and 450g of sugar.

Ruhlman recipe states that 50g of this rub per 2.25kg should be used. I cut my bellies into 1kg squares so they fit in my ziploc bags. I used 22g of this dry cure I prepared.

However I'm working out ppm and I am thinking I added too little cure at 22g.

1000g indasia salt + 450g sugar = 1450g cure

69% indasia salt + 31% sugar = 100% cure

I used 22grams per kilo of meat so:

15.18gr indasia salt + 6.82gr sugar

1000g indasia salt @ 0.8% nitrite = 8g nitrite

1g = 0.08g nitrite

15.18 g = 0.12144g

1000000mg meat = 121.44mg (ppm)

So if my maths is correct and my understanding is correct I am borderline.

Should I add 10g more cure per kilo?

Cheers

Hi I am using indasia nitrite brine first time. Following ruhlmans dry rub cure of 450g salt 50g pink salt 225g sugar.

I doubled the amount so I mixed 1kg of indasia nitrite brine salt (in place of the other 2 salts) and 450g of sugar.

Ruhlman recipe states that 50g of this rub per 2.25kg should be used. I cut my bellies into 1kg squares so they fit in my ziploc bags. I used 22g of this dry cure I prepared.

However I'm working out ppm and I am thinking I added too little cure at 22g.

1000g indasia salt + 450g sugar = 1450g cure

69% indasia salt + 31% sugar = 100% cure

I used 22grams per kilo of meat so:

15.18gr indasia salt + 6.82gr sugar

1000g indasia salt @ 0.8% nitrite = 8g nitrite

1g = 0.08g nitrite

15.18 g = 0.12144g

1000000mg meat = 121.44mg (ppm)

So if my maths is correct and my understanding is correct I am borderline.

Should I add 10g more cure per kilo?

Cheers

Rulmans recipe calls for a total of 50 grams of instacure which is 6.25% sodium nitrite.. So in 50 grams of instacure there is 3.125 grams of sodium nitrite. If you double the amount there should be 6.25 grams of sodium nitrite.

Now, you've used 1000 grams if indasia sat. 0.8 percent of 1000 grams would be 8 grams. So actually, you've used too much. To get the correct amount of nitrite you should multiply (6.25/8) x 1000 which comes to 781.25 grams of indasia salt. Then just add 219.75 grams of plain uniodized salt (don't use regular table salt).

• 2 months later...
So i've just bought 5 kilos of this Nitrite Salt from Royal i'm still confused on how much to use per kilo of meat , is safe to use 40GM per kilo as other posts say , can anyone post there recipies for DRY CURE & WET CURE , that has worked for them useing this product .
Thanks
post-120688-0-71652500-1419661928_thumb.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the tip. Do you know if this is Prague Powder #1 or #2? #1 is 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% salt. #2 contains 6.25% sodium nitrite, 4% sodium nitrate, and 89.75% salt.

quidnunc (post #65) is correct.

To convert #1 cure to Indasia multiply the amount of #1 cure in a recipe by 7.8.

Then, divide the salt in the recipe by 4.1.

Ruhlman's recipe calls for 450 g salt & 50 g #1 cure.

50 g #1 cure has 46.75 g salt. So, the recipe has 496.75 g salt total.

Converting to Indasia - 50 g * 7.8 = 390 g.

390 g Indasia has almost 387 g of salt. Add 109.75 g of salt to the Indasia.

450 g / 4.1 = 109.75 (450 g being the original salt amount in the recipe)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I tried 2 weeks ago to use sea salt from makro. Results are fine. no need for prague powder anymore.

I don't understand. Prague powder is used to kill dangerous bacteria (the kind that causes botulism) and to keep the meat pink. The active ingredient is usually sodium nitrite. Sea salt isn't a substitute. It's mostly salt with whatever other minerals are found in sea water. Sodium nitrite isn't one of them..

You can use sea salt together with vegetable juices (celery or beetroot), sugar/honey and it will have the same effects. But it is much more easier to find. Sea salt you can buy at Makro 5kg bags or Tesco Lotus 1kg.

I tried it just with sea salt and sugar and got a nice bacon. And the meat is still pink!!!

Another reason is that I store my sausages and bacons in a refrigerator. And it never hold longer as 4-6 weeks.

Not enough time for bacterias to grow. If I keeped the meat in my room/kitchen at normal temperatures I want to use curing salt too.

More information: https://www.google.com/search?num=100&newwindow=1&q=curing+bacon+with+sea+salt

Edited by snowgard