Bizarre Cert. Of Residency Experience, Chaeng Wattana, April 2013

Took all the copies I read I needed.

None of the counter staff handing out the forms could fathom what I wanted. I wrote down 'Certificate of Residence', 'Residence Certificate' and an other few that all had them utterly bamboozled.

I went down stairs and got some infor from the net and printed off TM18, TM 20, and another nameless one. Went back up to them with the printouts.

They were just as bamboozled. They didn't have any of the forms there and were like rabbits in a headlight looking at them, in the end they just said to fill out one of the print outs and go inside to the next desk.

The nameless one (no TM number on it), which was this:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/res_cert.pdf

The desk sent me to Dept. J2 for Tourist Visa Extensions. Only 5 people ahead of me.

He was surprisingly nice, took all my docs, asked another lady how much they are, then unfortunately told me it will be mailed to me in 3 weeks. :( I thought it would be a pick up in 30 minutes affair and need it for a DL to rent a car for my family's holiday here. Arriving next week. :(

Anyway, fee only 200b when most others around the main cities of Thailand say they have to pay 500.

There is no fee for a certificate of residence.

WP or yellow tabien baan all count as such, you can also get a certificate from your embassy (for a price)

No official 'fee'.

I'd be interested in hearing of 5 immigration offices in the country that offer the service for free. :D

The most common definitely-not-a-fee is around 500b from reading up on the matter.

My consulate was 800b up until last year, checking last week it has jumped up to almost 2000b.

200b or 2000b, easy decision really.

WP or yellow tabien baan all count as such, you can also get a certificate from your embassy (for a price)

At Suan Plu it was free but they took 100 Baht off you for EMS for the certificate to be sent on to your home address.

At Nan Immigration I had to pay 300 Baht but they did the certificate right then in the office. Useful for buying a vehicle in your name only.

Just for your info, you don't need a Thai driving Licence to rent a car in Thailand. Even the brand names (Budget, Avis etc.) are quite happy with a licence issued in another country. You do need a valid credit card though.

The smaller local companies usually hardly take any notice of your documents and many are quite happy with a cash deposit.

No official 'fee'.

I'd be interested in hearing of 5 immigration offices in the country that offer the service for free. biggrin.png

The most common definitely-not-a-fee is around 500b from reading up on the matter.

My consulate was 800b up until last year, checking last week it has jumped up to almost 2000b.

200b or 2000b, easy decision really.

Pathumthani provided one free for me last year.

^ How long did it take to get it?

In Chaeng Wattana they had a big book with perhaps 5-10 applications with their money attached in a little money bag.

Not forgetting Songkran which may have been equated into his 3 week estimation.