Passport Validity

Hi

My UK passport runs out in September of this year. Will I have a problem entering Thailand in June on a visa exemption?

I was under the impression six months was needed as minimum for Laos and Cambodia but not for Thailand. Is that correct?

You're taking some risk irrespective, if you get run down by a random tuk tuk, beaten to a pulp by a hormonal ladyboy or inadvertently fall out of your Pattaya balcony it's feasible that your hospital stay will take you beyond the end of your passport vaildity.

Don't be saying that said things won't happen to you, I know what you're like with a drink in you, so stop being so effin tight and go and get a new passport.

All for the sake of 10 weeks <deleted>, all the work I've done to show that Scots aren't tight ruined. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Correct according to IATA so should not be a problem but would be much better to have a new passport as you are very limited in options with a passport less than 6-9 months validity.

Thanks for your reply lopburi3. In effect then I won't have any problems getting on the plane.

Not sure what you mean by "very limited in options"....could you explain that in more detail please?

You're taking some risk irrespective, if you get run down by a random tuk tuk, beaten to a pulp by a hormonal ladyboy or inadvertently fall out of your Pattaya balcony it's feasible that your hospital stay will take you beyond the end of your passport vaildity.

Don't be saying that said things won't happen to you, I know what you're like with a drink in you, so stop being so effin tight and go and get a new passport.

All for the sake of 10 weeks <deleted>, all the work I've done to show that Scots aren't tight ruined. coffee1.gif

I'm sure Mark Kent would be delighted to issue me with an emergency passport and get rid of me. biggrin.png

If you want to visit another country - no go. If you want to leave for a new entry into Thailand to stay longer - no go (unless to another that allow short validity such as Hong Kong). As the UK extends passports when you buy a new one early it does not make much sense for most to keep a passport that long.

• Like 1

If you want to visit another country - no go. If you want to leave for a new entry into Thailand to stay longer - no go (unless to another that allow short validity such as Hong Kong). As the UK extends passports when you buy a new one early it does not make much sense for most to keep a passport that long.

Thanks again. I wasn't aware that the UK extended the passport. I'll take my cheap charlie boots off to the Post office tomorrow! smile.png

All those precious stamps and of course the lack of the finger print link would be a reason to hold on to it longer.

As I'm not a criminal it won't matter much.

The stamps...hmmm....I am down to the last page anyway. It does have sentimental value....why its even been swimming in the Gulf of Thailand with me! w00t.gif

All those precious stamps and of course the lack of the finger print link would be a reason to hold on to it longer.

As I'm not a criminal it won't matter much.

The stamps...hmmm....I am down to the last page anyway. It does have sentimental value....why its even been swimming in the Gulf of Thailand with me! w00t.gif

Ah well you're probably right. I am still apprehensive about what will happen if my finger print information got into the wrong hands...

50% of all asian hammocks are covered with your prints already. And still nothing bad happened..thumbsup.gif

Thanks again. I wasn't aware that the UK extended the passport. I'll take my cheap charlie boots off to the Post office tomorrow! smile.png

Hope the queue there ain't so long that you won't get to the front before your passport expires! smile.png

They extend for a maximum of 9 months

They don't exactly extend it they just add the months remaining onto the new passport so you don't loose them.

In any case anything under six months prior to renewal is added to your new passport date so nothing is lost. I renewed my passport in july last year and my new renewal date is for another 10 years and just under 6 months