Khon Kaen-Nakhon Phanom Bus Overturns, 3 Dead

webfact

By the way, has anyone seen the small documentary that stems from the three foreigners who got killed on a bus? They go to where they make the bus here in Thailand. There are NO PLANS to building them. They say they just build them from memory and make what they need. No crumple zones or safety precautions. That is why the buses literally disintegrate when they hit something. Also, many of the seats are not even fully bolted down as a lot of them are missing bolts.

Madness.

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to admit this, but my wife, (an academic) accepts theses reasons given by police on so many occasions...malfunctioning brakes and driver inexperience.....I now tend to think that most Thais think similarly....am I wrong??.......Do Thais actually care about road fatalities and accidents?

Obviously not

Oddly enough I, and many like me, drive to destinations via routes with which we are unfamiliar. Luckily (or maybe its just driving properly and safely for the conditions), most of us don't usually have accidents - and that may be because instead of belting along an unknown road with no concern whatsoever for the surrounding terrain or road camber, we tend to use our eyes, common sense, and knowledge (gained through years of becoming an adult) of INERTIA!

There is absolutely NO understanding that large heavy things in motion will tend to try to keep going in the same direction and at roughly the same speed, unless a larger force is applied in such a way as to change that situation. In this instance there was nothing to stop the top part of the bus from keeping going, so it did, while the bottom bit, touching the road, tried to go the other way - around a corner...result...rotation.

How XXXXXXX hard can it be to apply simple common sense?

This makes me really angry because 8 people have died in the last few days in two totally unnecessary bus accidents - totally avoidable, and completely down to a lack of training and COMMON SENSE.

If Yingluck wants to DO something for the country, then for goodness sake lets see her making some positive steps about this dreadful issue... many more will surely die, but if it saves even one person, any effort at all was worth it.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity
  • Like 2

Oddly enough I, and many like me, drive to destinations via routes with which we are unfamiliar. Luckily (or maybe its just driving properly and safely for the conditions), most of us don't usually have accidents - and that may be because instead of belting along an unknown road with no concern whatsoever for the surrounding terrain or road camber, we tend to use our eyes, common sense, and knowledge (gained through years of becoming an adult) of INERTIA!

There is absolutely NO understanding that large heavy things in motion will tend to try to keep going in the same direction and at roughly the same speed, unless a larger force is applied in such a way as to change that situation. In this instance there was nothing to stop the top part of the bus from keeping going, so it did, while the bottom bit, touching the road, tried to go the other way - around a corner...result...rotation.

How XXXXXXX hard can it be to apply simple common sense?

This makes me really angry because 8 people have died in the last few days in two totally unnecessary bus accidents - totally avoidable, and completely down to a lack of training and COMMON SENSE.

If Yingluck wants to DO something for the country, then for goodness sake lets see her making some positive steps about this dreadful issue... many more will surely die, but if it saves even one person, any effort at all was worth it.

I agree. If there is one tiny aspect she might be able to enforce in the country is checking the working practices of bus companies.

It may seem trivial but 100s if not thousands per year are killed and maimed.

• Like 1

Transport Company is the only company that has actually a very good safety record. I have been using them (when no flight tickets are available) for over three years and also they are slow but they know how to drive (SLOW).

VIP cost 749 Baht one way from Bangkok to Sakon Nakhon or Udon Thani and I could pay a ticket for 400 Baht if I want a hell of a ride on some kind of Bus Banok. 407 is another bad company. Tried them once and what a hell of a ride that was. Break down is a better option but someone in my village just told me four passengers are in hospital due to an accident. If no one dies the news never make it to TV but their are daily accidents and bus drivers get paid like shit if they are not working for a government controlled bus company such as 99 VIP Express.

How many Mp's travel by bus?? They do not care because it doesn't affect their bubble style life & most probably have control/interests in these ventures! Thousands more will have to die before it even becomes up for debate!

• Like 1

So sad for those people who cannot afford other means of transportation or those who just don't worry about safety. The Thai government should regulate these bus companies and drivers and publish safety statistics, like airlines.

• Like 1

Another sad day in the land of grins.

I was appauled this morning when I read in the newspaper that some 200 mini bus operators were protesting that the police threatened to enforce the speed limit. They called it unfair and that the government should raise the speed limits. That's the mentality. Not a single consideration that following the law may be a good thing. This attitude that if you don't like the law then just ignore it or change it to allow for your liking is endemic but they only follow the example of their political leaders.

When will things ever change? Do whatever you want with total disregard for others and their suffering. Is this the future of this society?

and the other day my wife told me they have lifted the ban on not carrying water in trucks over songkran as to many people complained

thais in general do not seam to care about loss of life they are more concerned with doing what they want and sod every one around them

I'm slowly coming to the opinion that the Thai people are beyond help when it comes to road safety. Clearly they don't welcome us foreigners poking our noses in and interfering with the "Thai Way" of driving and maintaining buses, they seem content to assume that it's just bad luck when an accident happens and not hold anybody accountable.

I have slowly come to the realization that they won't listen to sense, so there is no point in these discussions beyond us venting our frustration. THE THAI PEOPLE DO NOT CARE. (Except for NCA (Nakhorn Chai Air bus company who have an excellent safety record and broadly western standards)

However, I'm seriously concerned that western governments don't make more of an effort to warn tourists and newly arrived visitors about the dangers of traveling on Thai buses.

• Like 1

Another sad day in the land of grins.

I was appauled this morning when I read in the newspaper that some 200 mini bus operators were protesting that the police threatened to enforce the speed limit. They called it unfair and that the government should raise the speed limits. That's the mentality. Not a single consideration that following the law may be a good thing. This attitude that if you don't like the law then just ignore it or change it to allow for your liking is endemic but they only follow the example of their political leaders.

When will things ever change? Do whatever you want with total disregard for others and their suffering. Is this the future of this society?

and the other day my wife told me they have lifted the ban on not carrying water in trucks over songkran as to many people complained

thais in general do not seam to care about loss of life they are more concerned with doing what they want and sod every one around them

I have never read of a single death caused by pick ups moving at 2 kmh on songkran traffic. Motorcycles speeding around like idiots are the problem, and then hammered pick up drivers going home.

In the water throwing the bikes are the issue not the pick ups. Get rid of bikes in the traffic and check the pickups on the highways is far more logical.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Anonymous monitors should be employed to take journeys around Thailand on various buses and assess the bus drivers. Any drivers found to be speeding or driving dangerously should be dismissed. Also, tachographs should be on all buses and checked regularly.

Who would be left to drive the buses ?

A bus hit our car once - also near Khon Kaen.... Well - it hit a car 3 cars back, totalled about 5 cars in all.

At the police station, he claimed the brakes failed. The police accepted this, despite the fact that the bus driver drove his bus from the scene to the bus station.

My wife asked about drug/drink testing the driver and apparently they do not routinely do it and decided not to do it on that occasion - despite a number of people being carted off in ambulances.

As rules are not enforced here because Thailand has no functioning police force, this will just continue until the revolution I guess.

• Like 2

I'm slowly coming to the opinion that the Thai people are beyond help when it comes to road safety. Clearly they don't welcome us foreigners poking our noses in and interfering with the "Thai Way" of driving and maintaining buses, they seem content to assume that it's just bad luck when an accident happens and not hold anybody accountable.

I have slowly come to the realization that they won't listen to sense, so there is no point in these discussions beyond us venting our frustration. THE THAI PEOPLE DO NOT CARE. (Except for NCA (Nakhorn Chai Air bus company who have an excellent safety record and broadly western standards)

However, I'm seriously concerned that western governments don't make more of an effort to warn tourists and newly arrived visitors about the dangers of traveling on Thai buses.

It is not Thai people. I can assure you that the majority of them do care.

It is the police. They just aren't interested in enforcing the law. That is not why they join.

It would be the same in any other country if there was no enforcement of rules.

Again. Just when I read someone else's posts when the last accident happened ... and this couldn't have been predicted so accurately -- just a few days apart!

Well, I'm in Dubai now awaiting my connecting flight to the USA. I always said I'd leave Thailand because its becoming a xxxxhole like the Philippines.

My family joins me in a year.

Edited by metisdead

Do Police ever do commercial vehicle safety inspections in Thailand?

Here in Ontario Canada, they setup a roadside inspection stations, in random locations, several times a year. A few days ago, they inspected 110 vehicles and 55% were taken off the road due to defects. For each vehicle, a minimum of $1,000 fine. It could become a huge cash cow for the BIB!!

Any of us who have lived here for a while are well aware of the complete lack of safety in all areas. I always wonder why the Thais haven't clicked on to the fact that enforcing a safety regime here would benefit everyone, Thais and foreigners alike. It's always the "quick buck" that appeals to these people with utter disregard for human life. In fact every time we drive or ride we literally put our lives in other peoples hands. It's always the innocents that suffer.

Too fast !

If unfamiliar with route, particularly a hill common sense says go slower, Thai logic/common sense/professionalism/training all non-existent.

Hope the driver survived and lives a long life along with three mutilated ghosts for company. .

Edited by Cuban

at least it wasn't the old my tire blew out excuse. Unfortunatly this will continue until thailand has a highway patrol that will actually do their job and inforce some laws.

I just wonder how many tickets are actually written in thailand i one year. Just think how much money can be made for the government by enforcing the law

Edited by metisdead
Font size

UPDATE:
Another bus overturns, 3 dead

The Nation

30203840-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Khon Kaen-Nakhon Phanom bus overturned when the driver lost control while handling a downhill curve in Kalasin's Somdet district at 5pm on Tuesday. Three passengers were killed and 35 others injured. Police blame the accident on malfunctioning brakes and the driver's unfamiliarity of the route.

This is the second bus accident this week. On Monday, a double-decker tour bus plunged down a 10-metre ravine in Phitsanulok killing five people and wounding 50 others.

In Prachuap Khiri Khan's Kui Buri district, a collision between a pick-up truck transporting Samui hotel workers to Nakhon Nakhon and a freezer truck at 1.30am yesterday led to the death of two passengers sitting in the pick-up truck's rear carriage and injured two, including a three-month-old child.

Sanook Singmart, 44, a vocalist with the "R Siam" band, was wounded and Pipatpong Sirisom, 26, a member of his entourage, was killed when their car overturned in Roi Et's Thawat Buri district just after midnight yesterday. They were heading for a concert in Tak. It is suspected that the driver, Winyu Khamsri, dozed off behind wheel and lost control of the car.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-11

at least it wasn't the old my tire blew out excuse. Unfortunatly this will continue until thailand has a highway patrol that will actually do their job and inforce some laws.

I just wonder how many tickets are actually written in thailand i one year. Just think how much money can be made for the government by enforcing the law

true, it would be nice to see some of these drivers brought up on charges of negligence as well. I am not holding my breath

Here we go yet again. Another bus with faulty brakes, just like the last one ! Surely anybody with half a brain would avoid getting into a long distance VIP bus.

Edited by oldsailor35

what can I say, thai drivers need to learn to drive and actually pass a driving test, not simply pay the person supposed to be testing them. In Australia you need a set amount of hours driving in all condition just for a car licence, for busses etc you are required to take a complete course and pass another test. I havent found a thai yet that even knows the road rules apart from "you must always get there before everyone else".

And, its perfectly safe to overtake on a blind bend or brow of a hill or to drive 2 abreast hoping the one on the left will 'lift off' in time to miss the oncoming vehicle. Provided you have got the appropiate icon hanging in the cab.