Spousal Killings On Rise In Thailand, With Bangkok Seeing The Highest Number

webfact

Spousal killings on rise

The Nation

640px-14206657.jpg

Bangkok. File photo, source: Wikipedia.org

BANGKOK: -- The incidence of people being killed in domestic-violence cases is on the rise, with Bangkok seeing the highest number, followed by Samut Prakan, Nakhon Pathom, Pathum Thani and Chon Buri, the Women and Men Progressive Movement Foundation revealed yesterday.

Most of the cases involve women killed by their husbands.

Foundation official Jaree Srisawt said about 60 per cent of news reports were of homicide, about 24 per cent involved suicide and some 9 per cent involved assaults.

She said the proportion of homicides arising from domestic disputes was on the rise, reaching 59.16 per cent in 2012 compared to 2011's 49.70 per cent.

Ninety per cent of the victims were women.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-04-11

about 60 per cent of news reports were of homicide, about 24 per cent involved suicide and some 9 per cent involved assaults.

She said the proportion of homicides arising from domestic disputes was on the rise, reaching 59.16 per cent in 2012 compared to 2011's 49.70 per cent.

Ninety per cent of the victims were women.

That means over 30% of all news reports were of women being killed as a result of a domestic dispute.

I find that hard to believe.

Hold on a minute!

Where's the person who writes, "Before we start turning this into a Thai bashing session, this could happen in any country."

Remember? The guys beating up those women in the Youtube video!

Come on, where are you now?.... What have you got to say?

simple no ? farmers with no education come to bangkok for work and off course take their habits with them overhere... hence the increase in crime, beatings, rapes, ...

Yes, because uneducated farmers beat their wives but the educated urban men don't...

• Like 2

simple no ? farmers with no education come to bangkok for work and off course take their habits with them overhere... hence the increase in crime, beatings, rapes, ...

And where is the evidence for your bigotry (i.e., that it's 'uneducated farmers' from outside of Bangkok and their 'habits' that are responsible for this)?? Perhaps you should stop spending your days watching the yellow shirt channel and actually go out and see the rest of the country (and the farmers' habits) for yourself. BTW, in most countries, per capita rates of violent crime are higher in urban areas than in rural areas.

• Like 2

Hold on a minute!

Where's the person who writes, "Before we start turning this into a Thai bashing session, this could happen in any country."

Hard to say whether you're more outraged by the silence of that person than the spousal deaths.

• Like 1

And where is the evidence for your bigotry (i.e., that it's 'uneducated farmers' from outside of Bangkok and their 'habits' that are responsible for this)?? Perhaps you should stop spending your days watching the yellow shirt channel and actually go out and see the rest of the country (and the farmers' habits) for yourself. BTW, in most countries, per capita rates of violent crime are higher in urban areas than in rural areas.

farming communities, to judge from the ones i know, are not habituated to crime, beatings and rape. when i sit with them swigging rice liquor after a day of hard labor, i don't hear talk of which atm machine to install cameras over next, nor have i noticed anyone thrashing his wife or violating some neighbor.

• Like 1

Actually the approach to beatings and rape in some areas of Thailand is medieval. I know of a girl who suffered an attempted rape and although she was lucky enough to escape it she said she could tell no one in her family as the parents would have forced her to marry the rapist, attempted or real.

I have had this same conversation with a number of girls from rural areas and they have confirmed that this is the standard practice.

Also remember that there are witnesses and support in urban areas that are not available in rural areas so a lot of abuse is never recorded or acted upon.

I have spent some time in rural areas of Thailand and have witnessed a number of blatant attacks by husbands on wives with no regard for who sees it. Fortunate to never have seen one in Bkk.

I don't think his assumption was bigoted at all just realistic.

• Like 1

Hold on a minute!

you mean that video were Burmese men fight with Burmese woman in Malaysia because the women worked as prostitutes and the men argued that is not a good job?

• Like 1

Yes but violence is much higher in what we used to be allowed to call the lower classes, now they are low socioeconomic communities.

Yes but violence is much higher in what we used to be allowed to call the lower classes, now they are low socioeconomic communities.

Are you certain that is not reported violence?

• Like 1

Actually the approach to beatings and rape in some areas of Thailand is medieval. I know of a girl who suffered an attempted rape and although she was lucky enough to escape it she said she could tell no one in her family as the parents would have forced her to marry the rapist, attempted or real.

I have had this same conversation with a number of girls from rural areas and they have confirmed that this is the standard practice.

Also remember that there are witnesses and support in urban areas that are not available in rural areas so a lot of abuse is never recorded or acted upon.

I have spent some time in rural areas of Thailand and have witnessed a number of blatant attacks by husbands on wives with no regard for who sees it. Fortunate to never have seen one in Bkk.

I've spent a lot of time in Thailand - rural and urban, and mixed with all classes. I've never come across any of the phenomenon that you describe.That's doesn't mean I'm right or your wrong. However, it does suggest that your assumption that talking to a number of girls in rural areas about attitudes to rape victims does not lead to the identification or confirmation of a standard practices. What was the size of your sample?

How do you know this?

Hold on a minute!

are you actually trying to dare someone?

what is this, primary school?

• Like 1

+1 Good post.

when thai men are brought up to believe they can do what ever they want what do you expect. The other night outside my wifes units she asked a tennant from the unti next door if he could park his car somewhere else because he always parked it acroos our entry(steps up from the road) so none of our tennants could get past it. He camw out with his girlfriend & they threatened to have someone kill her if she did it again, then I realized what was happening and got out of the car, he took off at a great rate of speed, too gutless to face another man. This is typical of thai men, no gutts unless they are beating on a female or in a pack, they simply cannot accept loosing face or being wrong, my wife now says I must watch my back as this idiot may pay someone to do something to me for making him loose face while threatening a women(in front of his GF) or have someone beat up on here and her daughter/mum, real men hey. They do it because it makes them feel like a big man and to show people how tough they are, have to feel sorry for the thai wives/GF's of these <deleted>.

And you are happy to go on living in a place where :"my wife now says I must watch my back as this idiot may pay someone to do something to me for making him loose face while threatening a women" ? Not me, no way.

when thai men are brought up to believe they can do what ever they want what do you expect. The other night outside my wifes units she asked a tennant from the unti next door if he could park his car somewhere else because he always parked it acroos our entry(steps up from the road) so none of our tennants could get past it. He camw out with his girlfriend & they threatened to have someone kill her if she did it again, then I realized what was happening and got out of the car, he took off at a great rate of speed, too gutless to face another man. This is typical of thai men, no gutts unless they are beating on a female or in a pack, they simply cannot accept loosing face or being wrong, my wife now says I must watch my back as this idiot may pay someone to do something to me for making him loose face while threatening a women(in front of his GF) or have someone beat up on here and her daughter/mum, real men hey. They do it because it makes them feel like a big man and to show people how tough they are, have to feel sorry for the thai wives/GF's of these <deleted>.

You will find much the same behaviour in the poorer, Chav areas of the UK. Nothing cultural. Stupid, desperate people of all nations behave like childish idiots in my experience.

I agree with this totally, but somehow, some people here on Thaivisa, loves to pick on Thai men, according to some people here, Thai men are the lowest scum on earth.

They love to feel that they are superior, being the knight in the shining armor, coming here to rescue the innocent, lovely thai lady, from the evil Thai men.

Have you been listenting to bar girls again?

Yes, true, but typically higher among the urban poor rather than the rural poor (especially in societies with a large agrarian population). A poor subsistence farmer will have a less stressful life (not stress-free) than a poor unemployed person in the city, especially where there are no 'social safety nets'. The relatively greater crowding in poor urban areas also increases stress and fuels violence.

• Like 1