Pattaya ( Slum )

Blackandwhite

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived in Pattaya for over a decade and have generally enjoyed my time here. I have seen it grow from a rough and ready rest and recreation destination for the world's batchelors and not batchelored men worldwide to the mixed fun, recreation, family, mass tourism destination it has become. The housing, shopping, eating, and partying choices available to residents and visitors are heaps better than before. Of course, this has also brought about negative consequences as well, including a massive increase in traffic congestion and what I have really noticed the past year of so, poor service in many retail and eating establishments because of a shortage of labour.

What really concerns me is the massive condo, hotel, and retail developments both in construction and planned. I am not opposed to growth but there is no increase in road surface to accommodate the increase in car and buss traffic leading to ever increasing traffic congestion. I see the quality of life in pattaya decreasing over the next decade because of this and it becoming almost a suburb of Bangkok (especially with the high-speed rail line connecting the two cities).

I am seriously considering a move to another location in Thailand, possibly Chiang Mai. While no place is going to be perfect, for my retired and relaxed slow-lane lifestyle, it may be a more appropriate choice for me now.

poor service in many retail and eating establishments because of a shortage of labour.

I wouldnt say there is a shortage of labour, what strikes me is, people thinking this is the Thailand of 15 years ago, people thinking all they have to do is pay minimum wage of 300 baht per day and for that they expect someone with fluent English skills.

There are plenty of workers available, but they aint moving to Pattaya to work for peanuts, I have seen examples of salaries being offered 8,10 or 12k per month, those are factory wages for people with minimal education.

I read an advert today, van drivers wanted in Bkk, 20k per month.

If you want to run a business you had better wisen up and pay the going rate for the job, plus benefits, Thais have choices now, best of luck to them.

I dont see the stores in Central having a problem recruiting, next time you are in Central have a look on the board advertising vacancies and see whats on offer, can you at least match these wages?

There isn't a shortage of labour, just a shortage of Thais willing to work.

Any hard or dirty job is done by Khmers or Burmese, you will very rarely see a Thai work hard.

Every construction job, road building job or heavy labouring is always devoid of any Thais.

They have become basically lazy in Pattaya because they would rather scam or live off a farang rather than work.

Sad but true

Must be a Pattaya thing they get lazy. My in-laws work bloody hard compared to any Aussies I know.

They have become basically lazy in Pattaya because they would rather scam or live off a farang rather than work.

Sad but true

That is the point I was making, my brother in law came down here & worked really hard, it's a Pattaya thing.

Pattaya bashing threads always tell you more about the poster than the place.

I am not bashing Pattaya as I said I found it on a personal level poor and feel it has changed so much for the worse,

No, you generalized to everyone:

>nor a place to live unless you want to live in Thailand but can't afford to live anywhere else

Not I but you. So, yes, you're just having a little bash. Sour grapes, most likely.

Yawn. What you said and what will be said this stereotypical thread has all been said before ad nauseum. Before there was a thaivisa.com, it was said in weekly letters to the Pattaya Mail. The last nail in the coffin, the goose killed that laid the golden eggs, everybody's moving to Cambodia, etc. All been said since long ago and repeated here once a month or so; where've you been?

Most of us like living here and many old timers find it has changed for the better except for the traffic. Nobody ever came here for the beach anyway or great service in the shops. We do like having a Central, Villa, Tukcom and lots more choices of where to live, eat, shop, drink, party, go to the hospital, send the kids to school, etc. We CAN afford to live elsewhere but we're just going to continue to like living here.

Inflation and exchanges rates have hit Thailand everywhere.

You forgot to whinge about the sidewalks (I know every possible whinge). They've always been <deleted>, always will be <deleted>, and nobody ever came here for those either.

So, don't let the proverbial door hit u on ur ass on the way out. laugh.png

Whilst I don't approve of the tone towards the OP (he is perfectly entitled to his opinion - and, of course, much of Pattaya is a <deleted> hole!) you have made some valid and positive points about what IS good about Pattaya. There is a huge a choice of places to eat - many are crap but there are more than enough half-decent places out there. Central is fantastic and, literally, the coolest place in town. Other multiplex facilities available, food etc from Villa, Foodland and Friendship. A host of places for household goods and the like.

I can see the attraction for people who do live there - everything is available at your finger tips. Generally, i hate the bars - but again, bags of choice albeit a bit one dimensional.

I would be concerned about the ever-increasing traffic congestion between Pattaya Nua and Thepprasit. (the access/egress to the No7 motorway is a big improvement). I did live on the dark side for a while and I would hate to travel in now by car. I think Beach Road/Second Road and even soi Buakhao will become more congested and an intelligent one way system may be required.

I can understand why the OP is negative towards the changes and I can understand why many living in Pattaya would defend - many justifiably, others because they simply feel the need to so.

Pattaya is a bit like Margaret Thatcher - there is very little middle ground when it comes to the 'fors' and 'againsts'.

• Like 2

Perhaps the OP should take a trip to Hua Hin, if you want to see a f****d up city pay it a visit.

Yes Pattaya has changed, no one is saying it hasnt.

Please tell me another city like it in the world, why do so many work their ass off just to come here for their two weeks of Fantasy Island evey year.

No where like it in Thailand, no where like it in the world.

Sounds like sour grapes on the OPs part, cant afford to be in Pattaya.

They tell me Skegy is nice this time of year.

Central is fantastic and, literally, the coolest place in town.

Hmm. Central is somewhere I walk through to get to the Hilton buffet. Not sure I would ever set foot in it if that buffet didn't exist.

Oh, and the car park is handy.

^^^^, please give him 10/10 for an excellent observation, next time you are in Central have a quick look around,

Even the kee nok farang have sussed this out, its where they go to cool down for free 'coz they cant afford a/c in their soi slum condo.

Do you remember the CC brigade that used to frequent Carrefour, they have upped sticks and relocated to Central.

Well done CH, excellent observation.

• Like 1

Hmm. Central is somewhere I walk through to get to the Hilton buffet. Not sure I would ever set foot in it if that buffet didn't exist.

^^^^, please give him 10/10 for an excellent observation, next time you are in Central have a quick look around,

Even the kee nok farang have sussed this out, its where they go to cool down for free 'coz they cant afford a/c in their soi slum condo.

Do you remember the CC brigade that used to frequent Carrefour, they have upped sticks and relocated to Central.

Thank you wai2.gif

Nothing wrong with Skeggy though...... my hometown should be quite bracing this time of year

post-108506-0-11519500-1365694814_thumb.

LOL

What's getting worse is certainly the traffic - I am mainly bothered by coaches and baht buses.

they need to:

- free the left lane of beach road of any traffic hindrances

- restrict baht buses to the left lane and enforce it ferociously - then watch baht bus drivers argue with food stall owners and motocy rentals

• Like 1

I am not bashing Pattaya as I said I found it on a personal level poor and feel it has changed so much for the worse, I would see no point living there as for me it has very little of what I feel is important when choosing a place to settle. All said we are all different and I find from experience we all find different values acceptable. Up to you - up to me !! Enjoy Pattaya if you like cool.

B & W. As soon as anyone writes anything in the least bit critical about Pattaya you can expect '<deleted> Off Home Then' brigade to crawl out of the woodwork and that's what's happening to your thread. Is it really worth the effort of logging on to a forum and starting a topic just to receive such infantile comments.

You're better off just writing about the price of an Electric drill in Big C or where can I buy Cadbury's chocolate or some such bunk.

Thank you wai2.gif

Nothing wrong with Skeggy though...... my hometown should be quite bracing this time of year

Skeggy, LOL.

Wasnt my intention to diss your hoemetown, in fact I can think of worse places.

Mabelthorpe?

Barry Island?

If you want to venture even further into the land of the Trogg, some shithole outside Haverfordwest, Saundersfoot or something like that, it was only the magic mushies and Hawkwind tapes that kept me sober, the only decent ride I got was the Yammy RD 350 I brought with me.

And some people knock Patttaya?

Thank you wai2.gif

Skeggy, LOL.

Wasnt my intention to diss your hoemetown, in fact I can think of worse places.

Mabelthorpe?

Barry Island?

If you want to venture even further into the land of the Trogg, some shithole outside Haverfordwest, Saundersfoot or something like that, it was only the magic mushies and Hawkwind tapes that kept me sober, the only decent ride I got was the Yammy RD 350 I brought with me.

And some people knock Patttaya?

Thanks rgs - your post has just put a whole new perspective on my life - and certainly on Pattaya. clap2.gif

Hawkwind .... Silver Machine.......................memories...............................

Here we go again...same old topics on thai visa....rinse and repeat...rinse and repeat..

Anyway, it's clear to anyone with an ounce of common sense that the OP has an agenda about Pattaya and is bitter for some reason, there is no other reason why he would start the thread.

Pattaya IS the best place to live in Thailand, bar none. Sure, it has it's drawbacks, the traffic is now beginning to get like bkk and the rise in number of condos is obscene...they will never all be sold, then there is the Russia invasion..

I have lived here for 2 years and now reside on the dark side, I lived in bkk for 7 years so I am in a good position to make a valuation and I would not want to live in bkk again. I enjoy my trips there though and my pals I see there seem to think I have made the right move coming down here.

If I was to move again it would be to Chiang Mai I think.

H&H

Edited by Rimmer

I have lived in Pattaya for over a decade and have generally enjoyed my time here. I have seen it grow from a rough and ready rest and recreation destination for the world's batchelors and not batchelored men worldwide to the mixed fun, recreation, family, mass tourism destination it has become. The housing, shopping, eating, and partying choices available to residents and visitors are heaps better than before. Of course, this has also brought about negative consequences as well, including a massive increase in traffic congestion and what I have really noticed the past year of so, poor service in many retail and eating establishments because of a shortage of labour.

What really concerns me is the massive condo, hotel, and retail developments both in construction and planned. I am not opposed to growth but there is no increase in road surface to accommodate the increase in car and buss traffic leading to ever increasing traffic congestion. I see the quality of life in pattaya decreasing over the next decade because of this and it becoming almost a suburb of Bangkok (especially with the high-speed rail line connecting the two cities).

I am seriously considering a move to another location in Thailand, possibly Chiang Mai. While no place is going to be perfect, for my retired and relaxed slow-lane lifestyle, it may be a more appropriate choice for me now.

Excellent post and don't forget to change your board name when you move to Chiang Maismile.png

I am not bashing Pattaya as I said I found it on a personal level poor and feel it has changed so much for the worse, I would see no point living there as for me it has very little of what I feel is important when choosing a place to settle. All said we are all different and I find from experience we all find different values acceptable. Up to you - up to me !! Enjoy Pattaya if you like cool.

Hey have you tried getting out of Walking street and Beach road ? You know

there is so much more to Pattaya than the area between Second street and

beach road ... I have been living here 14 years. Pattaya has grown enormously

in that time, without any proper city planning ....

I have two kids, and we do all the normal family stuff you would imagine doing

in any other country. Pattaya is not perfect, but a good mix and match of things

that people who live here find important ...

Hope you find your paradise one day as well !

Cheers,

luudee

Edited by luudee
  • Like 2

I would never live full time in Pattaya! Why? Its not because of Pattaya itself but because I no longer like to live in cities. I live in the sticks in Korat Province. A small quiet village, no crime everybody friendly (except me), the small birds sing in my garden everyday, much more tuneful than either my wife or me. Fresh air, trees flowering bushes just great. However we still need to go on holiday to refresh as one does and we go to Pattaya, usually for two weeks. Love it there, good hotels, great restaurants, easy to get about with the Baht Bus and I can stock up on all the ingredients not available up here. My wife loves the shopping, Central Festival is now her favourite. Bars what bars? I am past all that, well almost, but now only for the occasional beer. Pattaya has however, something for everyone, just pick the lifestyle you like, if you do not like the bars then do not visit them. In Korat there are no Indian restaurants, so I enjoy them very much and I can buy all the ingredients I need to make my own curries. Pattays has a big thumbs up for me but as I said I would not like to live there, or London for that matter, been there done that! Ah well, better go back to talking to the birds and the herd of cows that will be passing by soon. Such is life. Ha!

We live just outside the city near Bangkok/Pattaya Hospital in a Moo Baan (Village) and it's also very quiet and peaceful, kids playing in the Soi's, people tinkering in their garden's, very nice. We even got snakes here which I can live without but are quite amazed that they are here. Squirrels are also often passing by up in the electric lines and they sometimes visit our garden via the tree that's close to the lines, beautiful and agile little animal. Birds are here off-course, I sometimes see some really nice ones(don't know which model and type are no expert on the subject, sorry).

Okay no cows and water buffalo's, he-he.

All this only 60 bath motor bike taxi fare away from Pattaya Beach.

Life is good here.

Yes, Guzzi I am sure life where live is great. When we travel to Pattaya we use the back roads until we hit the main duel carriageway heading up towards the 304. We pass through some beautiful areas, pure country and just a few Km from Pattaya City. We chose to build a house up here because that is where my wife's family live (hundreds of them Ha!) and we were familiar with the area. Also we have ready made help to look after our house and garden when we go away but of course we are more isolated than where you live. I am the only Farang in the village and for that I am sure the loacals are extremely happy, they do not need more cow wisperers. I keep myself very much to myself and we just visit Korat City once a week for our weekly shop. We have a couple of nice restaurants about 25km away each in different directions and they serve both Farang and Thai food. However it does tend to get a bit boring which we why we always look forward and very much enjoy our visits to Pattaya.

• Like 1

Yes, Guzzi I am sure life where live is great. When we travel to Pattaya we use the back roads until we hit the main duel carriageway heading up towards the 304. We pass through some beautiful areas, pure country and just a few Km from Pattaya City. We chose to build a house up here because that is where my wife's family live (hundreds of them Ha!) and we were familiar with the area. Also we have ready made help to look after our house and garden when we go away but of course we are more isolated than where you live. I am the only Farang in the village and for that I am sure the loacals are extremely happy, they do not need more cow wisperers. I keep myself very much to myself and we just visit Korat City once a week for our weekly shop. We have a couple of nice restaurants about 25km away each in different directions and they serve both Farang and Thai food. However it does tend to get a bit boring which we why we always look forward and very much enjoy our visits to Pattaya.

As long as you and your wife are happy that's the most important.

I prefer the hustle of the city. When we go to my wife's farm some 60 km from SiSaket I am bored out of my scull after 5 days and want to go back home to Pattaya, but each to each own.

My wife also call Pattaya home now, when we moved from BKK to here she was not so happy in the beginning but now she loves it (she likes the Beach scenery). She even got used to all the hookers but she tell me: please only look and keep your xxxx in the trousers, he-he. Fair enough, we are happily married and I want it to stay that way. It also suits me well that my wife's family stay far away from us and my wife consider me and our lovely 3.5 year old son as closest family so she don't mind too much either.

I guess many of the people pointing out that they purchased property in a quiet, even rural neighbourhood in or around Pattaya are in for a surprise. Won't stay quiet for long, count on it. The construction frenzy is gaining more momentum. You know they plan to turn the whole Eastern Seaboard into a contiguous industrial zone, don't you?

. We CAN afford to live elsewhere but we're just going to continue to like living here.

That's a relief then.....so I can find accommodation in other areas of Thailand for 25K per month if I wish.

You know what? I think I'll stay right here - I like it! biggrin.png

I guess many of the people pointing out that they purchased property in a quiet, even rural neighbourhood in or around Pattaya are in for a surprise. Won't stay quiet for long, count on it. The construction frenzy is gaining more momentum. You know they plan to turn the whole Eastern Seaboard into a contiguous industrial zone, don't you?

What a load of BS.

Name an industrial park in or around Pattaya. Last I knew, they were forbidden because of the Naval presense at Sattahip. That's what many Thais tell me. Now Rayong and beyond is a different story.