Pattaya ( Slum )

Blackandwhite

Hmmm... Interesting post. The OP decides to open a thread in the Pattaya Forum which he presumably knows is frequented by a lot of Pattaya residents and proceed to tell us what a sh1thole we live in and we only live here because we're all poor and can't afford to live in the "nice" parts of Thailand. LOL.... Contentious to say the least...

Bosted nose and a few stitches were i come from,for those insults to decent pattaya residents

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess many of the people pointing out that they purchased property in a quiet, even rural neighbourhood in or around Pattaya are in for a surprise. Won't stay quiet for long, count on it. The construction frenzy is gaining more momentum. You know they plan to turn the whole Eastern Seaboard into a contiguous industrial zone, don't you?

What a load of BS.

Name an industrial park in or around Pattaya. Last I knew, they were forbidden because of the Naval presense at Sattahip. That's what many Thais tell me. Now Rayong and beyond is a different story.

Laem Chabang? Bigger than any port in UK or Australia. Six million tons of containers/year, each one transported on the road from the port. At least 16 highrises with 20+ floors are under construction in Pattaya right now, about 100 more proposed. My home borders on the largest woodland left west of Sukhumvit in Pattaya, between Korphai and Sukhumvit. 30 hectars perhaps. It's shrinking rapidly.

I guess many of the people pointing out that they purchased property in a quiet, even rural neighbourhood in or around Pattaya are in for a surprise. Won't stay quiet for long, count on it. The construction frenzy is gaining more momentum. You know they plan to turn the whole Eastern Seaboard into a contiguous industrial zone, don't you?

What a load of BS.

Name an industrial park in or around Pattaya. Last I knew, they were forbidden because of the Naval presense at Sattahip. That's what many Thais tell me. Now Rayong and beyond is a different story.

Laem Chabang? Bigger than any port in UK or Australia. Six million tons of containers/year, each one transported on the road from the port. At least 16 highrises with 20+ floors are under construction in Pattaya right now, about 100 more proposed. My home borders on the largest woodland left west of Sukhumvit in Pattaya, between Korphai and Sukhumvit. 30 hectars perhaps. It's shrinking rapidly.
development of such highly touristy ground is to be expected! left of sukhumvit cannot be called "rural"!

For rural, try Nong Pla Lai, Pong, Khao Mai Kaeo, etc.

What a load of BS.

Last I knew Laem Chabang was not considered part of the Pattaya area. It's probably the closest, industry can get to Pattaya. Of the highrises you mention, I doubt you find any being used for industry... well maybe not except for the sex industry. I would seriously doubt anything west of Sukhumvit could be called a rural area in Pattaya. I believe they call it the 'bright side'.

Edited by BB1950

I lived in Pattaya from 1996 to 99, then moved down South. Used to love the place back in the nineties, it was a busy town but nothing compared to what it is now. In 2007 I went back for a visit, wow the place had changed, turned into a chaos just too many people around, second road seemed uncrossable....

Had a good time but wouldn't want to live there again. When I strolled up to Soi Buakhao I had a hard time recognizing it, bars, hotels, guest houses.......

Pattaya has certainly grown......I'll stick to the South, though here as well I have seen houses popping up like mushrooms in the last 7 years.

Guess that's the price to pay for "development".

What a load of BS.

Last I knew Laem Chabang was not considered part of the Pattaya area. It's probably the closest, industry can get to Pattaya. Of the highrises you mention, I doubt you find any being used for industry... well maybe not except for the sex industry. I would seriously doubt anything west of Sukhumvit could be called a rural area in Pattaya. I believe they call it the 'bright side'.

Kiddo, if you have a text blindness, read slowly, read twice, but do not take the words out of my mouth.

That piece of land west of Sukhumvit isn't only rural, it's jungle 600 metres across. Can't cross it without machete.

Well Pattaya, what to say, is there anything good to say about this place ?

the good thing to say is "let's hope that Pattaya is spared the presence of clowns like you!"

Thanks for the post I guess you are the stereotypical Pattaya lover. The whole part of this forum is to add discussion and opinion, from your response which I add ( offers nothing to the forum or topic ) you do not appear to grasp this. You enjoy Pattaya and all it offers. Hey listen we are all different no need to worry about posting further in the topic I understand your thoughts.

• Like 1

Kiddo, if you have a text blindness, read slowly, read twice, but do not take the words out of my mouth.

That piece of land west of Sukhumvit isn't only rural, it's jungle 600 metres across. Can't cross it without machete.

West of Sukhumvit Road would be Pattaya, or are you talking further west well then that would be ocean and you won't cross it with a machete either.

• Like 1

So Now Pattaya has joined the rest of the Western World.

Traffic, Slums, Crime, Corruption are far worse in most Western Cities and Communities.

If one wants Solitude: Go live in the middle of nowhere. See how fast you miss all the western aspects of life.

Give me Pattaya any day (or Night)

It's all about location and try to avoid the worst parts of the city if you want to live here for years.

I chose Soi Watboon , Jomtien because it was supposed to be a quite soi and not so much noise.

Oh boy I was so wrong , buying offplan was a big mistake , never buy anything until you have seen the place after its been completed.

Construction noise daily for the next 2 years , karaoke music every night from a nearby village filled up with construction workers and their families , and soi dogs barking all night !

It was quiter in Bangkok when I lived there !!!!

Edited by balo

It's all about location and try to avoid the worst parts of the city if you want to live here for years.

I chose Soi Watboon , Jomtien because it was supposed to be a quite soi and not so much noise.

Oh boy I was so wrong , buying offplan was a big mistake , never buy anything until you have seen the place after its been completed.

Construction noise daily for the next 2 years , karaoke music every night from a nearby village filled up with construction workers and their families , and soi dogs barking all night !

It was quiter in Bangkok when I lived there !!!!

I've only been here 4 years, but the increase in traffic on Watboon and Chaiyaphreuk has been incredible. Sometimes traffic is backed up all the way to that new 2nd beach road.

I remember the Winchester pub, sitting sort of in the middle of nowhere. Drove through the intersection of that new Jomtien bypass road recently.. incredible! But all for the better; Jomtien beach road itself was becoming impassable on weekends, that's a lot better now. But yes, where the 'old' sois like Wat Boon intersect with Sukhumvit are now the bottlenecks. That will need something done to help traffic flow.

Pattaya is the only place I would like to live in Thailand, #1

All the friends I have from american / England & other parts of Europe, who have come to thailand agree Pattaya is Heaven on earth & thats why they travel to the other side of the world for pattaya.

It might not be the place to live at permanently but to each his own. More people I know are buying condos too. I may do it too someday as a place to leave my things

i got some quiet interesting advice from a schoolteacher when i was about 11-12 ... guy used to go into maniac rants (which were bordering on mental breakdowns ) ... anyway one of his sayings was 'if you don't like the smell in the kitchen, get out:" didn't know <deleted> he was talking about back then but has stuck in my head and have made some major life changing decisions based on that.. quite simple logic really !

Edited by William Osborne

• 8 months later...

2014...Weather is decent with onshore/offshore winds. Beautiful island views/sunset to west. Good value price wise: Fruit is excellent being close to Thailand's fruit growing region of Chanthaburi. 100 baht for a foot massage on soi bhuakaow. New bakeries/eating places with eager newly arrived farang owners. Like the sound of wind & look of large new palm trees on beach rd. Being old is not a problem here as the public/some girls are used to it. Enjoy the diagonal shortcut walk through beautiful Wat at 2nd & pattaya tai.

First arrived in 1975 when the town had mostly German tourists, little to do then only a couple hundred damoiselles, cow path for 2nd rd. B52 bar & Simons/Marine were the only hot spots. wai2.gif

2014...Weather is decent with onshore/offshore winds. Beautiful island views/sunset to west. Good value price wise: Fruit is excellent being close to Thailand's fruit growing region of Chanthaburi. 100 baht for a foot massage on soi bhuakaow. New bakeries/eating places with eager newly arrived farang owners. Like the sound of wind & look of large new palm trees on beach rd. Being old is not a problem here as the public/some girls are used to it. Enjoy the diagonal shortcut walk through beautiful Wat at 2nd & pattaya tai.

First arrived in 1975 when the town had mostly German tourists, little to do then only a couple hundred damoiselles, cow path for 2nd rd. B52 bar & Simons/Marine were the only hot spots. wai2.gif

Interesting to compare Pattaya now - and then. I was only a couple of years behind you when I first came.

Of course there are many things that have improved here over the years, notably shopping. Then you could not buy any bread or fresh milk in town. No gogos or discos, and the foot massage had not been invented.

But if you pulled up infront of the Marine bar on a 80cc Suzuki 2- -stroke stinker the girls were impressed. You could also stay right opposite in the Sophon Hotel for 80 Baht.

Taking a girl on the stinker up to the wat on the hill or to the cinema in Naglua seemed something special to them. Today it has to be a shiny new car and some 25th floor condo.

Glad I did what I did then.