Officials Work To Limit Songkran Road Toll

webfact

Officials work to limit Songkran road toll
The Nation

30203915-01_big.jpg

Authorities are taking steps to achieve a drop in Songkran road casualties this year.

BANGKOK: -- "Last year's Songkran saw 320 deaths. The government targets a reduction in the number of road accidents leading to injuries and deaths to as low a level as possible," Deputy Interior Minister Pol Lt-General Chatt Kuldiloke said during a ceremony yesterday to resume the Road Safety Centre's operations for the Songkran festival.

The centre is implementing road-safety measures and monitoring road accidents for seven days from yesterday to Wednesday.

However, many injuries and deaths were reported yesterday in different provinces.

A Norwegian man died and a nurse was severely injured when a car ran a red light in Khon Kaen and collided with their motorcycles.

In Saraburi, one person was killed and another injured when a pickup truck and a motorcycle collided.

And two people were killed and five injured when a pickup crashed into a tree in Kanchanaburi.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-12

Songkran death on the roads: Day 1/7 - 39 dead (9 more than last year) and 342 injured (33 less)

/191Thailand

A few weeks ago the Transport Minister of Thailand admitted the annual death toll on Thai roads is about 26000 killed, about 70 per day.

Either there is massive under reporting of deaths or the safety campaign this year is nothing short of miraculous

• Like 1

I like the idea of the dolls, it will really make people think! Why not put some clowns on the road, dressed as police?

That's already been done. I would prefer real police dressed as clowns.

• Like 2

Just how do people sitting in an office limit road accident casualties ? Big talk but no action where it really matters out on the roads. The annual road safety tent is out on the main road near my home and as usual those manning it treat it as an " inactive post " on O/T. Bonus time too for the BIB, with all the drunk drivers there's more " on the spot " fines and off go the drivers just as drunk.

After the holidays the authorities will do what they are best at, the casualty figures will be reduced and " success " claimed. Nothing ever changes

Songkran death on the roads: Day 1/7 - 39 dead (9 more than last year) and 342 injured (33 less)

/191Thailand

A few weeks ago the Transport Minister of Thailand admitted the annual death toll on Thai roads is about 26000 killed, about 70 per day.

Either there is massive under reporting of deaths or the safety campaign this year is nothing short of miraculous

I'm sure under reporting is a very big issue.

I hardly know of a family that hasn't lost someone or had a life changing accident.

My wife lost her best friend and her father.

Not a week or two goes by it seems without someone one is linked to copping it.

So, under reporting, I have heard something about if they get to hospital thence certain short time then die it's not a road death.

Bad reporting can have major effects. People still think the French diet is responsible for them having half the heart attacks. It,s nonsense. The reason is French doctors won't sign the death certificate as heart attack like an English or German one does unless they're very sure indeed, so twice as likely to put "unknown causes".

everyone will really take notice of the pretty dolls, which idiots come up with these ideas. How about actually getting police cars on the road and pulling up drivers breaking the rules, oh, and while they are at it, make them walk and confiscate the vehicles. Until they actually start doing the physical side of this nothing will change, its all one big joke but I suppose songkran is a good way to keep the population growth in checksad.png

• Like 1

I like the idea of the dolls, it will really make people think! Why not put some clowns on the road, dressed as police?

That's already been done. I would prefer real police dressed as clowns.

The first choice was Furby's but they were all sold out. :(

• Like 1

Highway Police step up safety measures

BANGKOK: -- Highway police have stepped up safety measures during the 7 deadly days of Songkran, deploying speed enforcement cameras, and setting up a number of sobriety checkpoints.

According to Highway Police Commander Police Major General Pongsit Saengpetch (พงษ์สิทธิ์ แสงเพชร), the major causes of road accidents are speeding, drunk driving, falling asleep behind the wheel, and abrupt lane changes.

To prevent and reduce road accidents, the Department has installed speed enforcement cameras throughout highways, as well as establishing sobriety checkpoints along the routes. He stressed that the law stipulates that anyone caught drinking alcohol inside a vehicle, whether or not he or she is a driver, is subject to a fine of 10,000 baht, or a jail term of 6 months; or both.

The highway police chief has also suggested that motorists strictly observe the signs along the highway and have plenty of sleep before getting behind the wheels on a long journey to avoid accidents; adding that more than 200 rest areas with free refreshments would also be set up.

The Highway Police would be on 24 hours duty from April 11th - 17th to facilitate commuters as well as to enforce the traffic laws on highways.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-04-12 footer_n.gif

Thailand is ranked 6th in the world for the overall road casualities and ranked 1st for foreigners road casualities.

Let's be honnest, the roads are very safe in Thailand. People driving on it aren't. I can't wait to have the number of how many casualities happened because of an infraction but I can bet it is over 80%

I just read that one and it makes me laugh!

Copied from the last post of webfact:

the major causes of road accidents are speeding, drunk driving, falling asleep behind the wheel, and abrupt lane changes.

Speeding = can be avoided if you are not stupid

Drunk driving = can be avoided if you are not stupid

Falling asleep = I guess it can happen to anyone. Don't take the wheel when you are tired...

Abrupt line change = only someone that doesn't know how to drive a vehicule does not check his dead angles before changing lane

I have a sure fire suggestion on how to stop the carnage

Make the celebration of Songkran the same everywhere in the kingdom

Stop this foolishness of allowing every city, town, moo baan, etc. to set their own dates, thus encouraging everyone to travel to celebrate multiple Songkrans

Thailand is ranked 6th in the world for the overall road casualities and ranked 1st for foreigners road casualities.

Let's be honnest, the roads are very safe in Thailand. People driving on it aren't. I can't wait to have the number of how many casualities happened because of an infraction but I can bet it is over 80%

so, statistically, you are saying the foreigners are the problemthumbsup.gif

I seem to remember stats from many countries saying that 30% of all crashes are caused by drunk divers. Then why the hell don't they arrest all the sober divers and make the countries safer for all!!!clap2.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by Mudcrab

A few years back I was in a place called Kranuan in Khon Kaen. Pissed as a fart with Thai and Farang friends. The cops had a tent set up at a big intersection. We were drinking booze and throwing water with them. The big captain looking guy wasn't drinking though.

After a few minutes, two cops got into a pickup and drove off. Both pissed. The were going around the area warning people not to drink and drive over the loudspeaker in the pickup.

What can you say?

One of the countries ranked worse has a population of less than 2000. 1 road death per year. Thailand is, when removing small population, #2

Year after year. after year there are police checkpoints in exactly the same place as previous years. The locals know where they are, they just avoid the checkpoints when drunk.

Thailand's finest should surely have some new ideas by now, sorry silly thing to say.

I Drowe 650 km to my wires house in Udon. there where a numbers of accidents and the body snatchers where fast ón the scene.There where numbers of check points but nobody checking at All, but they set up cones ón the road and blocking the road to reduce the speed at the checkpoints causing jams and accidents. STUPID IDEAS to Make when nobody check anything.

The only places to dó some check is at traficlights when red, Pick out some drunk looking drivers, there are Many,.

stopping cars ón straight riads are to dangerous.

in the later evening i drove to get some suply, the checkpoints people where sleeping and the cars and motor iles where driving æluns Like mad, wrong ways and going for red without any helmets ón. try again to say its more safe This year LOL.

Don't you find it kind of revealing, that in the west, you see cut-out figures of police authorities, they are normally cut-outs of some 6'4" tough looking policeman, over here in Thailand they have cut-outs of some characters from Hello Kitty or Pokeman. w00t.gif

• Like 1

Don't you find it kind of revealing, that in the west, you see cut-out figures of police authorities, they are normally cut-outs of some 6'4" tough looking policeman, over here in Thailand they have cut-outs of some characters from Hello Kitty or Pokeman. w00t.gif

I guess, it works better with the childish attitude!

Don't you find it kind of revealing, that in the west, you see cut-out figures of police authorities, they are normally cut-outs of some 6'4" tough looking policeman, over here in Thailand they have cut-outs of some characters from Hello Kitty or Pokeman.

And that squeaky voice that goes with the public service announcements on the telly. :)