Advise On Shopping At Pratunam Market In Bangkok

sammy1sammy1

Hi there,

would love some advise on shopping at Pratunam Market. I will be traveling to Bangkok on the 4th May and will be sourcing out clothing to bring back to Australia.

I am aware that if you get deep into the markets you can find actual suppliers selling clothing at stalls. To cut out the middle man would be great.

Finding these people is a different thing!

Any advise on how i should approach the sellers in the markets would be a lot of help!

Kind Regards

Samantha

• Like 1

Hi Sam,

Well your best bet would have been to go to Ghuangzou, China. Maybe you could re book. This is where a lot of things are coming from! You will need a translator unless you speak Cantonese / Mandarin.

I wish I could help you on this one...

However, if you are unable to speak the language, and do not have a Thai business partner or Thai significant other I think that you will have a hard time. Hopefully someone will be able to assist you....

Good Luck!

We were there 10 days ago. Some of the sellers in Pratunam understand some English so you should have no problems, even if they don't, you can make yourself understood. My wife bought some dresses. You can get a good discount if you buy in quantity, eg. one dress 150B or three at 130B each.

Don't be afraid to bargain, there are so many selling.

• Like 1

Your NOT going to get any real saving or discount, maybe a few baht, as soon as they see your face and you dont speak Thai you are just another tourist.

If you intend to buy for re- sale watch the seams and stitching, many of the markets are seconds, with faults, uneven stitching, one side longer than the other, uneven hems, not straight etc, at shopping glance passable but wont stand any quality inspection to western standard. In my experience.Usually wholesale factory order rejects passed to the markets and street vendors for disposal.

Good luck.

Edited by CharlieH

Its a crowded maze that is fun to explore so don't rush into buying stuff from the first place that offers what you like. Do bargain over the price with a smile and if you are going to be buying a lot of stuff then I'm sure you can hire a porter with a sack barrow to move your purchases out to where you can grab a taxi back to your hotel.

Except to get a bit hot and bothered with the crowds in the hot and humid alleys but that is part f the experience. Best of luck smile.png

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great advise everyone=]

Australia and Thailand have great importing/exporting laws so sticking with them for now.

I have experience with shopping in the markets in Changmai and Phuket so i have experience with the markets and bartering.

I will be heading to Pratunam market, Bobae Market, Platinum Mall and Chutchuck Market. Any advise on these markets would be greatly appreciated.

And yes i will have a Thai personal shopper with me to help with communication =]

Regards

Samantha

Here's a summary of them:

Pratunam has some Thai designer/makers so you'll be able to dig out some good unique stuff that can be adapted for the Aussie market.

BoBae is nearly all Chinese imports...cheap and cheerful, but also has some good fabric retailers.

Platinum has a mix, but mostly Chinese imported girls clothing - small, cute, bright.

Chatujak also has a good number of Thai designer/makers so some hidden gems there too.