Pattay Tourism Not Affected By Turmoil

Mobi

Pattaya tourism not affected by turmoil

British love affair continues unabated

Although sections of the media, particularly in holiday hot spots are safe for tourists, the available evidence suggests that visitor numbers are unaffected.

Negative news affecting Brits in Thailand, especially the tragic murder of Katherine Horton on Ko Samui and the savage rape of a Liverpool woman in Pattaya earlier this year, had already been the subject of critical press comment abroad. Then last week came the news of a bomb outrage at ex premier Prem Tinsulanonda's residence in Bangkok which resulted in the slight shrapnel injury of British lawyer Jeffrey King. But there seems no real evidence on the grounds that media outrage has translated to a falling off in visitor numbers. The Tourist Authority of Thailand said, "So far we have not seen any cancellations. People know that political demonstrations in Thailand are generally not violent." Stephane Bringer, general manager of Woodlands Resort in Pattaya, commented, "Actually, tourist arrivals in 2006 have been increasing at a faster rate than we predicted." Tom Racette of Accor Asia, which owns or manages more than 20 properties in the country, thought that tourists are sophisticated enough to know that no country in the world is entirely free of threats. "Unless Thailand gets back to the bad old days of 1992 and the Black May bloodshed, there won't be any reverses," he stated referring to the conflict which resulted in the ouster of a military junta led by general Suchinda Kraprayoon. Thai Airways report a healthy 76% load cabin factor through February and demand for seats is equally strong for March and April. Indeed, the Tourist Authority is launching a promotional campaign for 2006, "The Grand Invitation", to achieve record breaking numbers. Official websites of foreign governments certainly warn of the possibility of terrorist attacks, but fall short of advising people to stay away from the popular resorts which tend to be well away from the discontented Muslim south. Pattaya police sources point out that the most serious crimes against foreign visitors have been dealt with quickly. "The rape of the Liverpool woman in Pattaya was cleared up within days and the assailant is now awaiting a long sentence in prison," said police colonel Somnuk Changate. A British embassy official in Pattaya, Barry Kenyon, commented that long stay visa applications at the immigration police and applications for work permits at Chonburi labour office were at an all time high. A long term estate agent in the resort, who deals mainly with British buyers and sellers, said "The British love affair with Pattaya, whether as a holiday resort or a retirement haven or an investment destination shows no signs of declining. It'll take more than a handful of human tragedies, however regrettable, to break the trend." It's believed that 300,000 British nationals visit Pattaya every year and at least 15,000 are based here more or less permanently along the eastern seaboard

Pattaya Mail

It's believed that 300,000 British nationals visit Pattaya every year and at least 15,000 are based here more or less permanently along the eastern seaboard

Pattaya Mail

Well, that would explain why it seems every 2nd bar in the city shows nothing but soccer (er, "football") matches non-stop. :o

(Maybe if you all were good at any other sports, we'd have a better selection on the local screens :D )

It's believed that 300,000 British nationals visit Pattaya every year and at least 15,000 are based here more or less permanently along the eastern seaboard

Pattaya Mail

Well, that would explain why it seems every 2nd bar in the city shows nothing but soccer (er, "football") matches non-stop. :o

(Maybe if you all were good at any other sports, we'd have a better selection on the local screens :D )

My dear fellow, we're terribly good at croquet, don't you know? :D

My dear fellow, we're terribly good at croquet, don't you know? :o

Well, I didn't know that actually, probably because I never see anything other than SOCCER on the TV.

(I understand that you guys are pretty good at that "cricket" thing, and Rugby too, not that they show any of that on the telly either).

At last the Brits are showing a bit of common sense.

Why would anybody want to stay in Britain when the rest of the world is more attractive.

Right now, Her Majesty The Queen and her hubby are Down Under in Aussieland...and loving it. :o

It just reinforces the fact that the best place in England is Heathrow Airport...on the way out. :D

Why are there so many bloody aussies in the uk then?????

Are they here for the weather, or are they just revisiting the crime scene?

Finding their roots probably, rumour has it the nicks are well pi**ed of with all the Aussie rubberneckers :o

Why are there so many bloody aussies in the uk then?????

Are they here for the weather, or are they just revisiting the crime scene?

Pulling pints so they can continue their holidays!!! :D

A survey a year ago back found that more 50% of Brits would emigrate, given the chance.

They should all go to Aussie-land and leave blighty for the kangaroos. :D

Just leave me alone in Mabprachan :o

A survey a year ago back found that more 50% of Brits would emigrate, given the chance.

Just leave me alone in Mabprachan :D

I doubt you've any worries on that one

Phew, thank God for that. :o

For a moment there I was worried that one of those 315,000 Brits might take the wrong turning and end up at my front gate asking for a light.!! :D

At last the Brits are showing a bit of common sense.

Why would anybody want to stay in Britain when the rest of the world is more attractive.

Right now, Her Majesty The Queen and her hubby are Down Under in Aussieland...and loving it. :o

It just reinforces the fact that the best place in England is Heathrow Airport...on the way out. :D

i'll second that one matey

Just leave me alone in Mabprachan :D

I doubt you've any worries on that one

Phew, thank God for that. :o

For a moment there I was worried that one of those 315,000 Brits might take the wrong turning and end up at my front gate asking for a light.!! :D

Not unless you've a big sign outside your baan,saying:-

ENGLAND V GERMANY

FREE STELLA ALL DAY.....

In which case all 315,000 of them may well all turn up at the same time!!

Edited by lovethailandlongtime