Return Flight Requirement For Visitors Visa To Switzerland For Thai

I am trying to help my sister in law to apply for a visitors visa to Switzerland. One of the requirement is a confirmed return flight booking, but they advise not to buy the ticket before the visa has been granted. Is it possible at all to have a confirmed booking before having bought the ticket? Or would the only solution be to buy a ticket with a low cancellation fee?

Whilst I have never done this I understand that a number of travel agents in Bangkok will provide you with a booking in the form of an itinerary, which is acceptable to Schengen Visa authorities.

I don't know if Guy at MTT offers this service, but I have noticed agents having signs in their windows here in Bangkok.

Don't forget that for Switzerland proof of accommodation is also required, insurance and funds of 100 Swiss Francs per day day, about 3,000 Baht?

In another thread you have asked about buying a refundable ticket, I think that with a bit of research round various agents you will not need to do this.

I don't know if Guy at MTT offers this service, but I have noticed agents having signs in their windows here in Bangkok.

Thank you. Whereabouts are these agents? Wireless road area, where there are many embassies? Or maybe Sukhumwit or Khao San Road?

I live and work in Southern Thailand, and when I go to Bangkok I have to get everything sorted out as quickly as possible, and go straight back down.

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Go to www.thaiairways.com book a flight to Zurich, select pay later and there you go - a confirmed booking but you don't have to pay a cent for it. Note that the system automatically cancels your booking after around 72 hours, but sometimes it takes longer (if you don't pay for it in the meantime).

For this to work, you'll need to book a flight for a date around 1 week or more in advance as flights that are booked within a few days of departure always require immediate payment in full.