Can I Modify..............

I have a Honda Phantom 150cc 2 stroke. Its under powered for me. I want to sell it and get a bike with a bigger engine. nothing too big 250-300 cc.

It has been suggested to me that I could modify it and maybe fit a V2 engine or something similar.

So......... is it possible for me to put a larger engine on the phantom frame?

If so, can anyone suggest an engine?

Will the Thai vehicle registration dept. allow me to do this as long as I tell them of the modification ?

Can I get insurance for a modified bike??

Many thanks in advance for all suggestions. wai.gif

As with many other major modifications people attempt to do, I'd suggest to sell what you've got and buy what suites you. I've see oh-so many unfinished projects, while you may save a few bahts if you do the mod (that if you do it yourself), the time and effort and headache aren't worth it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I have the four stroke version and would like to do an engine change on that, I disagree that it is difficult the problem is what engine and where to get one from. I personally think the TA200 engine is crap, if anything the 150TS is better, a chopper needs torque, it dosen't have any. it runs hot, not good in Thailand and lubrication is poor.

You could up the power/torque, but it would probably overheat, so an oil cooler would be a good option, anyone done that?

I think your TS is watercooled, no?

Don't know about the book, etc. but my guess it would be a problem, otherwise you could get a scrapper, transfer the plate to another plateless bike and claim an engine change.

Sure not too hard to do on a bike, not like car mods which I meant when I mentioned the unfinished projects. There are many custom choppers in Thailand but nine of them AFAIK have green books and unless you do it yourself, it probably won't be worth it. I also think there wouldn't be any direct replacement engine so a bit of chopping and welding is in order, furthermore, if your bike is air cooled and a replacement engine is water cooled, you'll need to adopt all the extra components and on top of everything else, if the bike after engine swap is considerable heavier, don't forget that the breaks will need to be modified as well to stop that extra weight in time.

I'm sort of with Allan. 150 TS is not a bad little engine. Should cruise at over 120-130? I used to have an NSR150R, same motor and it was a very nice little bike. Cruise at 140 but the aerodynamics are slightly different.

Two strokes are very sensitive to the correct spark plug or the condition of the plug. Has the exhaust been cleaned out lately?

Is your RC valve working correctly? Does it whir when you turn on the ignition? You should feel a definite surge of power at 7500-8000 rpm. Above 8000 off you go.smile.png

Is it your riding style? Are you lugging the engine at low RPM and expecting miracles.

You could always sell it to me. If it is in good nick. I'd see if a modified TYGA pipe will fit and...

Edited by VocalNeal

I think you should look around at some big bikes at some shops,

find out what you really would want, and then have a patience for a decent price.

Nothing wrong with having 2 bikes either, and don't bother with such modifications as another engine,

just smaller stuff like new pipes/handle bar, and even then think long and hard before you do it,

and preferably keep the old stuff in case you want to switch back.

Edited by poanoi

Or there is the "Cafe Racer" option, those guys spent very little to up the performance, cutting bits off and fairly modest engine mods. There is a lot of fat on a Phantom, the exhaust weighs a tone, front sprocket cover just for starters and crash bars which are a waste of time, then get the angle grinder out do some liposuction on it. On a such a low power machine every kilo will make a difference.

I would love to see what could be done...I am tempted, I hate the look of the bloody thing anyway, pseudo-Harley my arse..

• Like 1

I have to go with do not modify this bike option myself . The Honda phantom & the Kawasaki boss's are what they are. if you need a chop style go for a 400 steed ,dragstar or the like cause at the end of the day it is still going to be an overweight Phantom not worth much baht after you spend more to do the mods.That & while a motor swap (can or cannot be ) a minor trama, if you get stuck & have to wheel it into a moms & pops shop will they have the knowledge of how you modified & the logic on how to fix it..Being Thailand & all. Even a Honda 250 CBR would give you a lot more thrill & that if you wanted you can chang the CBR look to a more pullback & upright style bike with handlebars -risers & suspension changes & it would be pretty cheap If your hot on a chopper style. That & the bike should hold its value if you get a second hand bike & the right price. And it is a lot cooler too.You don't have to look like an anchient expat on his first or second bike in Thailand.

I was going to do the same with my 2008 Kawasaki boss . It probably could handle a 600 cc. engine on that beastly Cast Iron of a frame on that bike. It needed 50 kilos less frame dual disc brakes & every other fix just to bring it up to date. I decided it was best as a boat anchor. Sold it for 50% of what I paid & glad to be done with the low budget shuffle. And not to say by much but the Kawi Boss was bertter than the Phantom. Time to upgrade!

I hate the look of the bloody thing anyway, pseudo-Harley my arse..

Why buy it in the first place then?

..........First bike.

Had a Wave, but wanted to go places, it was cheap and it fit me.

Triumph have just opened a store here in Khon Kaen, but they refused a straight swap on a Bonny.whistling.gif

You can probably fit a Lifan 250cc V-twin into your Phantom. The Phantom and the Lifan 250B are pretty similar bikes -- the Lifan 250B is liquid cooled. A lady near me has a Kawasaki with a new Lifan engine in it, so I am pretty sure that the engines are available here in Thailand separtately, but I have no idea where. Her cousin did the engine change. I don't think it would cost too much to make the switch -- probably under B40,000 -- but the resale value of the bike after you are done would be B0.00. And you may still feel that it is "under-powered".

Edited by Thailaw
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

If youve got access to a welder you can put any motor in you want or mark out and get a cradle made im a big fan of the 250cc dohc 4cyl motors cbr gsx fzr built to rev hard but plot along as a cruiser just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand