Road Accidents Kill 101 In First Two Days Of Songkran Festival

webfact

how many die on a non holiday ?

The last few years has seen about about 8,000 deaths per year or about 22 a day on average.

WHO figures are over 3 times higher.

No they are not if you compare year to year and consider the numbers above represent dying at the scene and that is exactly what we are comparing here. Holiday death tolls don't include people who die 30-days out as does the WHO numbers. The 8000 figure represents the last 3-years where Thailand has saw a dramatic drop in road deaths. WHO is very clear to state they provide estimates and in less developed nations they tend to estimate very high to not only compensate for not including those who die within 30-days but also to account for other factors including a general assumption the accounting methods are not right. As you can see by this link (http://www.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/78256/1/9789241564564_eng.pdf) the WHO states that for this year Thailand reported 13,365 (adjusted by WHO to include deaths within 30-days) and then WHO goes onto to estimate a number of 26,312 but are also clear to state they have no confidence level in their larger estimate when it comes to Thailand as they do other many other countries where they provide 95% confidence in their estimate.

The point being is that the poster asked for the number of deaths on a normal day and obviously wanted to compare it to how many more die over the holiday. So, my number of around 8000 is the most accurate estimate since he is not only comparing Thai reported numbers but also die immediately numbers as opposed to within 30-days.

If you want to use the WHO number of 26,312 then this would equate to 71 deaths a day or 142 over 2-days which means that there has been about a 30% drop in the number of deaths the first two days of Songkran than Thailand would normally see on any other days.

That's if you accept the Thai figures. Remember the New Year period, and 1 province recording 0 road deaths?

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how many die on a non holiday ?

After last year's carnage the head of a road safety organisation complained the government only went through the motions at New Year and Songkran whereas it should be 24/7, 365.

What country doesn't step up road enforcement during celebratory holidays where more cars and drunks are on the road?

Stepped up road enforcement is one thing but drunk cops on m/bikes, cops involved in water fights, cops not interested in anything and roadside " safety " campaign workers sitting laughing as water throwers try to knock m/cyclists off their machines is not stepped up enforcement by any definition

So, they don't step up enforcement during the holidays or even bother going through the motions during the holidays? So, I guess the original comment of it only being done during the holidays is moot and the real complaint should be that they do less during the holidays than normal days. If that is the case then we should give some credit to the 100,000+ people who found check points, over the last couple days, to turn themselves in and be arrested. wink.png just giving you a hard time .. I undestand what you are saying

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

If you want to live in a sanitised over regulated, beurocratic world where you can't break wind without taking a test first then go back home to your collective countries (of which may I remind you, you have left)

T.I.T

Without proper sex education in school early mortality is the only form of birth control, death on the roads is an exceptable check & balance scheme, so while you reside in this country, live with the danger, stay indoors or go home!!

Stop whinging !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll tell that to my Thai mother in law, who lost a teenage son to a drunk driver who paid off the police so he faced no consequences, shall I?

• Like 2

Saw something tonight that was interesting.

In Hua Hin, a cop that stopped to chat with fellow revelers tried to get back on the pillon side of the bike and completely fell off...while the bike was still.

Obviously, cop was hammered. But when he fell, peopke wanted to laugh but didn't....sort of a held back laugh.

Eventually, a few Swedish guys helped the cop back on his bike and he fell off again....

T.I.T.

It must have been hilarious. Pity no one filmed it and posted to YouTube.

Edited by petedk
  • Like 1

Saw something tonight that was interesting.

In Hua Hin, a cop that stopped to chat with fellow revelers tried to get back on the pillon side of the bike and completely fell off...while the bike was still.

Obviously, cop was hammered. But when he fell, peopke wanted to laugh but didn't....sort of a held back laugh.

Eventually, a few Swedish guys helped the cop back on his bike and he fell off again....

T.I.T.

It must have been hilarious. Pity no one filmed it and posted to YouTube.

How quickly would it have been blocked I wonder ?

It is very sad that so many people are killed and injured due to drinking and driving,When will they ever learn?

They never will learn. Thai wifey tells me they are all so clever that they cannot possibly be the one that is going to die, and; they will argue that if they do die from someone else's foolish actions (can't possibly be their own) it's no problem because they will be reborn into the family soon afterwards.

First time I came here same woman told me best places to be at Songkran are locked indoors or out of the country for the duration. I decided to marry this very sensible woman who's favourite saying is 'You have to take care yoursel in Thailan, nobody care you'. Wise words.

If you want to live in a sanitised over regulated, beurocratic world where you can't break wind without taking a test first then go back home to your collective countries (of which may I remind you, you have left)

T.I.T

Without proper sex education in school early mortality is the only form of birth control, death on the roads is an exceptable check & balance scheme, so while you reside in this country, live with the danger, stay indoors or go home!!

I'll tell that to my Thai mother in law, who lost a teenage son to a drunk driver who paid off the police so he faced no consequences, shall I?
Sorry to hear about the loss of your brother-in-law. Too bad the mom didn't realize in Thailand that you don't need the police to file a criminal complaint but my guess is she probably knew this but also knew that the driver going to jail would not bring back her son and probably figured her son would rather see her get some compensation to help her live a better life (even if slightly) as is almost always the case when police try to work things out without a trial. I've actually never heard of a case where there is an obvious and undisputed victim where police were bought off and not the victim's side to make the case go away. Police generally take a percentage of the settlement they work out with those involved because if the victims side is not happy then they can go to the prosecutor's office to file charges and the cops end up in big trouble when the accused explains he already made payment to settle the case.

If you want to live in a sanitised over regulated, beurocratic world where you can't break wind without taking a test first then go back home to your collective countries (of which may I remind you, you have left)T.I.TWithout proper sex education in school early mortality is the only form of birth control, death on the roads is an exceptable check & balance scheme, so while you reside in this country, live with the danger, stay indoors or go home!! Stop whinging !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I'll tell that to my Thai mother in law, who lost a teenage son to a drunk driver who paid off the police so he faced no consequences, shall I?Sorry to hear about the loss of your brother-in-law. Too bad the mom didn't realize in Thailand that you don't need the police to file a criminal complaint but my guess is she probably knew this but also knew that the driver going to jail would not bring back her son and probably figured her son would rather see her get some compensation to help her live a better life (even if slightly) as is almost always the case when police try to work things out without a trial. I've actually never heard of a case where there is an obvious and undisputed victim where police were bought off and not the victim's side to make the case go away. Police generally take a percentage of the settlement they work out with those involved because if the victims side is not happy then they can go to the prosecutor's office to file charges and the cops end up in big trouble when the accused explains he already made payment to settle the case.

The accident happened before I married my wife.

The family were basically screwed by the police who preyed on their lack of knowledge of the legal system. They got got absolutely nothing but the bill for the funeral.

Sickening.

T.I.T

A good post that will sadly fly over many heads out here. T. I. T. I would not go as far as , if you don't like it go home. Only as far as, if you don't like it then learn to live with it.

It's a line from a movie I saw but it fits me, wish I'd made it up, "I have found some small measure of peace here, which is more than most will do in their lives."

Edited by overherebc