Toronto

sadman

Could I please prevail on the knowledge of the many Canadians or well-travelled people on tv.

Mrs Sadman and I are visiting the US in April. On the way back, we are having 5 days in Toronto (no, I know it's not in the US) so that she can see Niagara Falls (day trip, I would think). Other than going to see an ice hockey match (a very genteel pastime, so I am told), we have made no other plans.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to good places to see etc? And any to avoid?

Many thanks

Take a look from the CN Tower, until 2011 at least, the tallest structure in the world.

cn_tower_2.jpg

Other than that, there's shopping on Younge Street, maybe seeing a hockey game. If I were you I'd do a day or two in Toronto and make the short trip to either Ottawa, the national capital, or Montreal. Both have far more interesting things than Toronto, and they have better hockey teams too. :o

cv

You could check out a Blue Jays game.

The Royal Ontario Museum is usually fun.

TheToronto Rock is probably the most exciting sporting event you could watch in Toronto.

Also check out Ticketmaster for concerts. T.O. has a cool music scene. Check out the Air Canada Centre for big events, Massey Hall is a great theatre sized venue and the Horseshoe Tavern for small\local bands.

Edited by kaopadguy

Just typed out a long reply.... and lost it into cyberspace! D*mn!

It has been a few years since I've been in Toronto, but here are some ideas.........

While in Niagara, go for a ride on the "Maid of the mist". These boats go right up to the base of the falls- give you an "up close and personal view". Everyone is given a raincoat and Sou'wester hat when they board. Definitely essential for this trip.

http://www.maidofthemist.com/

If you have a car, drive to the end of the Niagara River, where it empties into Lake Ontario. There is a charming town called Niagara On The Lake. It is a nice place full of historic buildings and sights to go for a walk on a sunny afternoon.

http://www.niagaraonthelake.com

I'd recommend that you spend a night in Niagara Falls- get a room with a view of the falls. They are lit up by spotlights at night- Incredible to see.

Casa Loma is worth a visit also. It is a massive castle built by one of Canada's early industrialists / financiers. It is in the heart of the city, and a nice way to spend an afternoon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_Loma

http://www.casaloma.org

If you're the type who like fine art / museums, it is worthwhile to make a day trip out to the town of Kleinburg, which is 2 hours north. It is home to th McMichael Collection, featuring some of Canada's finest artists. The gallery is in a spectacular north woods setting.

http://www.mcmichael.com/collection/seven/index.cfm

The CN Tower as mentioned by cdnvic is worthwhile also. It is the world's tallest freestanding structure. The glass floor in the upper observation area is not for the faint hearted!

http://www.cntower.ca

Can't think of any more right now.... will post them if I do.

Where will you be staying?

Edited by bino

The hockey game you must see in Montreal. 5 hour ride from TO to MTL. And parts of old Montreal and Quebec city look like old Europe still. Get tickets now if you can. I believe the last season games for Toronto and Montreal are:

Apr 18, 2006 Penguins VS Toronto Maple Leafs 7:30 PM EDT -

Apr 18, 2006 Devils VS Montreal Canadiens 7:30 PM EDT

Then it's the Stanley Cup finals for a few more weeks.

CALENDAR HERE

THE BEST HOCKEY TEAM EVER!

m1890_sm.jpg

Take a look from the CN Tower, until 2011 at least, the tallest structure in the world.

cn_tower_2.jpg

Other than that, there's shopping on Younge Street, maybe seeing a hockey game. If I were you I'd do a day or two in Toronto and make the short trip to either Ottawa, the national capital, or Montreal. Both have far more interesting things than Toronto, and they have better hockey teams too. :o

cv

Second that motion CDNVIC. I've been in the CN Tower and its definitely a beautiful site (though quite a few years back).

Younge street is also marvelous with the street artists and hotdog on the wagon. I still remember the "Michael Jackson" imitator and how a couple of Black <deleted> from h_ll gave him such a hardtime :D ..The poor man had to pack up, leave than came back later. We gave the man a good chunk of dough just for courage.

Toronto is cool and with China Town near by. It made our trip that much more fun.

Niagra falls, I loved the old wax musium, the ferry ride to beneath the falls (maid of mist), the walk under the falls. If you are going there, you better have a couple of days.

All you ######s that get to watch hockey are p!ssing me off ! :D

I haven't seen a game (live or on TV) since I left for Afghanistan in Sept 2003 :o

I've considered getting a sat dish for my apartment here, but am not sure if I would be able to get any Canadian channels (ones that carry hockey games on a regular basis any ways).

That's probably my biggest disappointment since leaving the Great White North. Didn't even get to see any of the Olympic hockey (maybe that was a good thing ?).

Could I please prevail on the knowledge of the many Canadians or well-travelled people on tv.

Mrs Sadman and I are visiting the US in April. On the way back, we are having 5 days in Toronto (no, I know it's not in the US) so that she can see Niagara Falls (day trip, I would think). Other than going to see an ice hockey match (a very genteel pastime, so I am told), we have made no other plans.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to good places to see etc? And any to avoid?

Many thanks

I just moved here from Toronto after nearly 50 yrs. Give me a little more info on your intrests and I can give you a 5 day itenery with rough prices

I just moved here from Toronto after nearly 50 yrs. Give me a little more info on your intrests and I can give you a 5 day itenery with rough prices

To be honest, interests are pretty broad. Sightseeing, museums, galleries, bars, markets, sports are all great to us. We just like seeing local culture and places/cultures etc different to our own.

Many thanks for everyone's input. We shall be staying in Younge Street, which seems to be a fairly central and accessible place to stay. From what you say, the CN Tower, a hockey game, Younge Street market and Niagara Falls are certainly all on the agenda.

BTW - thanks to mods for putting this where it should have been. I'm still hopeless at navigating and didn't know a places to see forum existed. Sorry!

Edited by sadman

To be honest, interests are pretty broad. Sightseeing, museums, galleries, bars, markets, sports are all great to us. We just like seeing local culture and places/cultures etc different to our own.

Many thanks for everyone's input. We shall be staying in Younge Street, which seems to be a fairly central and accessible place to stay. From what you say, the CN Tower, a hockey game, Younge Street market and Niagara Falls are certainly all on the agenda.

BTW - thanks to mods for putting this where it should have been. I'm still hopeless at navigating and didn't know a places to see forum existed. Sorry!

I will assume you would like to save a little money,Toronto is a little on the expensive side, especially compared to here (Elevator ride package deal to the top of the C.N. tower $100ca) but worth it. I seem to remember the Bond Place Hotel down town was one of the most reasonably priced hotels. Dundas Sq. across from the Eaton centre has a small ticket venue for lots of dinner/ comedy etc. shows for half price. That is the very centre of town. You can walk W. from there on Queen St. to, funny enough, called Queen St. W. (great area for bars and night clubs. If you continue you will get to Spadina. Walk N and you will go through China Town. When you get one block past Dundas walk W. again and you will be in Kensington Market, all great areas dor exploring eating and bars. For another cool street to see on another Day go to Queen St. E , just E. of woodbine. Take the Streetcar. For the best Thaifood restaurant you have to go a little far past Bloor St village called Simply Thai.