Hiatus Hernia?

sms747

Interesting!  but i dont believe Smokie36 requested "alternative" or indeed any advise

You cant help yourself can you?

Seeing as I have had the same problem thought I would share some ways to alleviate the condition if that is ok with you.

Thanks Tolley.

My symptoms have disappeared for the moment and I'm just going with no coffee and eating a bit more sensibly for the moment.

Should the problem recur I will look at some of those things. :)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting! but i dont believe Smokie36 requested "alternative" or indeed any advise

You cant help yourself can you?

Seeing as I have had the same problem thought I would share some ways to alleviate the condition if that is ok with you.

Thanks Tolley.

My symptoms have disappeared for the moment and I'm just going with no coffee and eating a bit more sensibly for the moment.

Should the problem recur I will look at some of those things. smile.png

Most people can control it by lifestyle changes but it is not easy to be 'good' all the time.

I don't know if you read the other thread on kefir but that would be really good for you or anyone for that matter with gerd.

I had my first taste of acid reflux last week. Breathing fire indeed! Noticed a lump at the back of my throat and it took a couple of weeks to figure out why.

I took a course of Gaviscon for a week and that has settled things down in addition to cutting out my morning coffee completely and cutting back a lot on the beer.

Also eating a meal at 8-9pm I now try to eat no later than 7pm. All of these things have helped.

Bit of a wake up call on lifestyle.

Here are a few suggestions that might be helpful

Avoid cigarette smoke.

*Eliminate caffeine.

*Eliminate alcohol.

*Eat a healthy diet and most of all, do not overeat.

To relieve or eliminate symptoms of acid reflux/Gerd:

*Mix one tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar in an 8 oz glass of water and sip during meals.

*Take probiotics to keep the beneficial bacteria in your intestines thriving.

*Digestive enzymes will help proper digestion.

Herbs that will help ease the symptoms of acid reflux/GERD are the following:

*Slippery Elm Tea is a very effective remedy. It covers the mucus membranes of the esophagus with a protective coat that relieves inflammation caused by acid. Slippery elm also helps to lower excess acidity by stimulating increased mucus production.

*Calendula Tea soothes inflamed tissue and reduces inflammation.

*Gentian Tea, an age-old digestive aid, prevents heartburn. Simmer one teaspoon of gentian in a cup of water for 30 minutes. Sprinkle just a pinch of ginger and cayenne in the tea. Drink one-half hour before meals.

*Chamomile, known for its anti-inflammatory properties, is a natural remedy for digestive conditions. Drink a cup of chamomile tea up to four times a day, between meals.

*Cinnamon helps calm and soothe the stomach.

An acid reflux wedge pillow will relieve discomfort by elevating the upper body.

I would also add make sure you eat very slowly and chew your food very carefully.

Some of the worst things that you can eat or drink are soft drinks especially coke, beer and chocolate. These are poison for people with your condition. Be careful with wheat and dairy as these may also aggravate your condition. I would definitely cut out bread.

Eat a bowl of oats every morning to line your stomach, bananas, cabbage, apples are all good foods.

If you are going to drink buy some slippery elm capsules and take two or three before you go out drinking and the same before you go to bed. THey help line the stomach.

by gum we have a witch doctor in our midst.

• 1 month later...

I am very interested in this topic--I, too, have had similar problems for many years, getting diagnosed with a HH way back and then after an endoscopy at Bumrungrad being told that the 'hole' seemed to have closed up--however recently it appears, from symptoms, to have opened back up again--terrible pain in the solar plexis area, alleviated with Omeprazole--but then I stop taking them and it can return; I drink too much coffee, 2 or 3 cups per morning, chocolate on many occasions, and wine/beer at night.

I was googling to find a suitable hospital for invasive surgery, but came upon this thread, and I shall try a bit of sensible dieting, avoiding certain foods first--since it seems that this could be beneficial.

I have always read 'Sheryl's writings with respect and now it seems 'Jrtmedic' is advising as well--[sad to see the usual medical disapproval for alternative therapies displayed though--there is surely a place for both disciplines in treatment?]

So, thanks to everyone who joined in with helpful advice--possibly just saved me several hundred thousand baht, if I can manage the problem adequately.

It seems that folks are swallowing Omeprazole daily for years with no problems--this is something I have shied away from, thinking the occasional capsule would do the trick--a regular long term regime seems more the recommended rule?

I hope the OP has found some help for his problem--maybe he could let us know?

Hiatus hernias can be sliding, rolling or mixed types. The OP most likely has the "rolling" type which commonly causes the chest pains and shortness of breath he describes. Good animation here: http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/health-information/directory/h/hiatus-hernia#textBlock401569

Rolling type hernias were actually more easily diagnosed in the days before gastroscopy when Barium swallows were routinely performed; this procedure was more likely to show the rolling hernia as barium would collect in the part of the stomach entrapped in the chest cavity. This procedure is also explained in the link provided above and would be a good procedure to discuss with your physician.

When omeprasole is started as a treatment for symptomatic gastritis, it is usually recommended to take a 6 week's course of 20mg per day to allow the inflammation to heal; then reduce or stop. Lifestyle changes as described in the thread by other sufferers need to be introduced at the same time. Overweight is a major cause of a hiatus hernia to become sypmtomatic.

One note on Omeprasole use in this region where diarrhoea due to infectious causes are relatively common; stomach acid is an extremely important defence against gastro-intestinal infections and, if the level of acid is reduced by drugs like omeprasole, there is a slightly higher risk of contracting these.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, I guess I should take a full course of Omeprazole and then see if the symptoms are better, same or worse-maybe setting a local Dr. might also be a good option.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Pinfold

Sorry I disagree !

Did the "doc" offer evidence to support the claim ?

Do not think so,just so so casual. Never attended to have the camera down the throat, just up the ass,he said lets go down the throat too, same price £60 all in,on waking he asked if I get indigestion,small HH detected,replied at times ,he just said drink lemon juice,never get it now

Hope the doc changed cameras !

If drinking lemon juice works for you then great but it for sure does not reduce gastric acidity !

It would have tasted nice no doubt.

Less than two years after the up the ass camera inspection there in India(one small polyp removed) another up the ass examination I had done a few months back revealed another two polyps,small ones though Looking at the supplied DVD as it wended its way through my innards its disappointing that they are appearing so rapidly. Looks like a yearly inspection maybe on the cards.

May ask the doc while there if he will seal off the HH,will not be much money,now the rupee has just about collapsed

Which hospital in India are you attending for these procedures, if you don't mind?

Incidentally, I doubt that a rectal, or rear end, endoscopy could be used to repair a hiatus Hernia, I reckon they would have to go down the throat for that, surely?

Also, do you have to drink that disgusting orange liquid to clean out your bowels prior to these inspections?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by haybilly

Which hospital in India are you attending for these procedures, if you don't mind? Incidentally, I doubt that a rectal, or rear end, endoscopy could be used to repair a hiatus Hernia, I reckon they would have to go down the throat for that, surely? Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You know your probably right there,not thinking too well this morning,blame it on too much sex last night

Ill send you a PM later, I know Sheryl gets fed up with me banging on about India. But I did put a thread on here ( Options to health care in Thailand) few months back,that tells all

PS yes the porridge, walked in off street there in India for a barrage of testing,they gave me the porridge to drink,told me to stay there for 3 hours while it started working,some chance,went back 24 hours later after two lots had to be taken, doc explained later that Asians get rid of food far faster than westerners

Edited by pinfold

Hope the doc changed cameras !

If drinking lemon juice works for you then great but it for sure does not reduce gastric acidity !

As usual you know nothing about alternative treatments and start rubbishing them without doing any research.

High-potassium foods

Foods with high levels of potassium may help prevent or resolve acid reflux. The list is considerable and many are foods you may already include in a daily dietary plan. Bananas, honey, lemons, apple cider vinegar, cantaloupe and sweet potatoes - to name a few - are excellent sources of potassium.

Apple cider vinegar (ACV) in particular is touted by many people as an effective cure for acid reflux. If using ACV, it is best to mix one to two tablespoons with an eight-ounce glass of water and drink it all at once. If that's too much vinegar, reduce the amount and work back up to the full quantity. Always use organic vinegar with "the mother" visible in the jar; it looks like a swirling cloud and indicates the vinegar is organic.

Lemon juice makes a slightly milder drink than does the ACV and works in a similar manner, to neutralize stomach acids and reduce heartburn and acid reflux. Squeeze the juice of one half lemon into eight ounces of filtered water and drink it at once. It's even more effective if the water is warm, but avoid warming it in a microwave oven.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/034947_acid_reflux_GERD_foods.html#ixzz2Zw737fYh

1. "No alternative medicine therapies are proven to treat GERD or to reverse damage to the esophagus. Still, some complementary and alternative therapies may provide some relief, when combined with your doctor's care"

2.Herbal remedies. Herbal remedies sometimes used for GERD symptoms include licorice, slippery elm, chamomile and marshmallow. Herbal remedies can have serious side effects, and they may interfere with medications. Ask your doctor about a safe dosage before beginning any herbal remedy.

Ref http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gerd/DS00967/DSECTION=alternative-medicine

1. "No alternative medicine therapies are proven to treat GERD or to reverse damage to the esophagus. Still, some complementary and alternative therapies may provide some relief, when combined with your doctor's care"

2.Herbal remedies. Herbal remedies sometimes used for GERD symptoms include licorice, slippery elm, chamomile and marshmallow. Herbal remedies can have serious side effects, and they may interfere with medications. Ask your doctor about a safe dosage before beginning any herbal remedy.

Ref http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gerd/DS00967/DSECTION=alternative-medicine

'Herbal remedies can have serious side effects' and of course prescription meds are safe and not responsible for any serious side effects cheesy.gif .

Pot calling kettle black me thinks.

Fact is that in many cases GERD has been and can be managed quite effectively with dietary adjustments and herbal supplementation.

I would further add that there are quite significant dangers with some of the commonest treatments for GERD by conventional medical treatments.

PPI's have come under close scrutiny in a few studies of late for their potential problems when taken long term.

In fact they might actually contribute to cancer according to this researcher.

The problem being that PPIs mask the symptoms of severe GERD and so damage is being done to the sufferer but they are unaware of it.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110718161333.htm

Edited by Tolley

Gastritis, which is the underlying cause for the symptoms of hiatus hernia (GERD) is an inflammation of the lining of the lower end of the oesophagus and sometimes also the upper part of the stomach. The cause of this is hyperacidity.

People with A+ blood groups are especially prone to this as well as duodenal ulcers; they typically do not tolerate acids very well and especially citrus based acids.

To suggest acids as a course of treatment for this may result in a condition, which is at very high risk of bleeding anyway, progressing to a medical emergency status with profuse bleeding (hematemesis) which is extremely difficult to manage and may be life threatening.

It seems really, like a no-brainer...

To propose treatments on this forum which may actually precipitate severe aggravation of medical conditions by lay persons, can simply not be tolerated.

Please let sanity prevail, not ego.

I would further add that there are quite significant dangers with some of the commonest treatments for GERD by conventional medical treatments.

PPI's have come under close scrutiny in a few studies of late for their potential problems when taken long term.

The problem being that PPIs mask the symptoms of severe GERD and so damage is being done to the sufferer but they are unaware of it.

Totally misleading post.

First of all, please do not post excerpts from the popular press as if they were scientific articles, even if they purport to be reporting on same. Post the original, actual article from the actual scientific journal. Popular press extracts are often inaccurate.

Secondly, the article referenced most definitely does not say or imply that PPIs "contribute to cancer". What they do say is that patients who obtain symptomatic relief with PPIs may be less likely to have endoscopic tests and thus some cases of Barrett's esophagus may not be detected. The researcher's conclusion is not that PPIs should be avoided, but rather than all cases of GERD, even those which get adequate symptomatic from conservative measures, would benefit from periodic endoscopy to screen for pre-cancerous conditions. Same would logically apply to cases of GERD which get symptomatic relief from herbal/alternartive ones.

Totally misleading post.

First of all, please do not post excerpts from the popular press as if they were scientific articles, even if they purport to be reporting on same. Post the original, actual article from the actual scientific journal. Popular press extracts are often inaccurate.

Secondly, the article referenced most definitely does not say or imply that PPIs "contribute to cancer". What they do say is that patients who obtain symptomatic relief with PPIs may be less likely to have endoscopic tests and thus some cases of Barrett's esophagus may not be detected. The researcher's conclusion is not that PPIs should be avoided, but rather than all cases of GERD, even those which get adequate symptomatic from conservative measures, would benefit from periodic endoscopy to screen for pre-cancerous conditions. Same would logically apply to cases of GERD which get symptomatic relief from herbal/alternartive ones.

Too much for me,do not get heartburn now,with or without lemon juice,but might start thread about polyps,just how long between an inspection?,bit disappointing to find two more in about 18 months. Likened to asking how long is a piece of string I guess,but will have to have a camera shoved up the backside more frequently

Edited by pinfold

The frequency of scopes really depends on your age as well as the nature of the polyp. Those with a higher potential for malignancy requires more frequent scopes.

Please start a new thread on this; it is a useful topic to discuss here..

The frequency of scopes really depends on your age as well as the nature of the polyp. Those with a higher potential for malignancy requires more frequent scopes.

Please start a new thread on this; it is a useful topic to discuss here..

OK