How To Get International Driving Licence If I Have Thai Licence

peanut

Hello

Can you please help me with some info on this? I have a Thai driving licence (one year) and I would like to get an international one so I can drive abroad.

I did a search through the topics but couldn't find much.

Thanks!

Of course you can drive on the one year license. I drove in France on a one year license. I also had an international license, but the car rental agent said he didn't need to see it. E mail any major car rental agent in the country where you want to drive to verify this is correct.

Of course you can drive on the one year license. I drove in France on a one year license. I also had an international license, but the car rental agent said he didn't need to see it. E mail any major car rental agent in the country where you want to drive to verify this is correct.

"On any condition, temporary driving licence is not valid outside the Kingdom of Thailand and International Driving Permit is not issued to Temporary driver's licence holder."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_Thailand

So, if I understand correctly, "officially" I cannot drive in other countries (except ASEAN) but in practice it might actually be possible. I'm guessing that car rental agencies or policemen might not not know that it's a temporary licence. Thanks for all the info!

So before the one year is over I can't drive abroad? ohhh that sucks, I was counting on it...

Thank you guys for your help!

You can drive in ASEAN countries on your temporary licence.

Actually not. You haven't read the treaty organizing this recognition... It excludes temporary permits.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was able to be insured on my company vehicles in Texas when I had a 1 year Thai license.

But of course you never told them it was a temporary license did you ?....and unless someone in the insurance company could read Thai they wouldnt know would they...rolleyes.gif

If you had a 1 year Thai license you never had an international permit based on your Thai license, cos they will not give you one.

As "poorsucker" has stated a 1 year Thai DL is not legal for use outside Thailand and you will not be issued an IDP in Thailand based on a 1 year Thai DL

I was able to be insured on my company vehicles in Texas when I had a 1 year Thai license.

But of course you never told them it was a temporary license did you ?....and unless someone in the insurance company could read Thai they wouldnt know would they...rolleyes.gif

The Thai one year license clearly states (in English) "Type: Temporary Car" so no need to read Thai, but they probably just didn't notice. The million dollar question (literally) is what would have happened if he had been in a major accident resulting in deaths/disabilities where his insurance company would have to pay out. I wouldn't count on them doing so with an invalid drivers license.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon
  • Like 1

The Thai one year license clearly states (in English) "Type: Temporary Car" so no need to read Thai, but they probably just didn't notice. The million dollar question (literally) is what would have happened if he had been in a major accident resulting in deaths/disabilities where his insurance company would have to pay out. I wouldn't count on them doing so with an invalid drivers license.

Sophon

The new credit card may say this in English, but if memory serves, the old paper 1 year license had nothing written in English, but your point is very valid in the case of an accident, the insurance company wouldnt pay out if they found out it was a temporary (provisional license) which in not valid outside Thailand