Her Land My House?

tuffy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Paradice lost.

That 5 years being together, should give you any rights whatsoever, I am sorry to say is 100% BS !sad.png

Commonlaw marriage is not recognized by Thai law.

Makes me wonder why people post about something, they clearly know zero about??

------shouldn't------

I think it's called wishful thinking.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

GOODNESS GRACIOUS ME!

"Her land, My house/ Car in my name". I fail to understand marriage that is not based upon trust. What happened to your relationship if you are already think/planning to do a runner? Fifteen years down the track and no such thoughts have entered OUR mutual relationship. Have you ever considered counselling?

I wish you all the best but please consider your insecurity before investing too much.

Regards from PEP

Agree 100%

Thanks everybody. I know I've been utterly foolish, if not completely stupid. For some time, I've fully expected to walk away with nothing, but having read Morton's comment about the posibility of a 50/50 split after 5 years together, although I didn't expect a positve response, I felt it prudent to at least ask the question.

I did it the easy way.

Her land.

Her house.

I paid.

I live there.

No problem.

Awesome. I've read dozens of threads and don't hear this enough. I concur poster

Yea, that's the way it was intended and has been. No problem--until irrational behavour, envy of ladies with richer farang and greed take over. Not to mention being left alone all day while she sits with her family's filthy home doing little or nothing in a small village with no other Farang for miles and me having not enough Thai to have a basic conversation with locals.

@Paradice lost.

That 5 years being together, should give you any rights whatsoever, I am sorry to say is 100% BS !sad.png

Commonlaw marriage is not recognized by Thai law.

Makes me wonder why people post about something, they clearly know zero about??

It is BECAUSE he doesn't know that he is asking the question.

I have always taught my children and the guys that I have trained over many years, if you don't know ask somebody. If they don't know you or they will ask somebody else until they DO know.

Same as other posters back at home our house our land our furniture then a divorce her land her house and her furniture. But I had my computer and clothes. At leat with a Thai wife you can keep assets outside Thailand that she can't get her hands on.

Without an usufruct or lease I think that the house can still be yours. However, you will still need permission to cross the land to get to it. Usufruct or lease is essential and it's better to get one or the other before you build.

If you are legally married, any land or building purchased after the date of the marriage is 50% yours in terms of value. I think that the same applies to unmarried couples who have been together for at least five years.

incorrect. In absense of usufruct, when you buy a house with your Thai wife, at the Land Office you WILL sign away ALL interest in the property.

I did it the easy way.

Her land.

Her house.

I paid.

I live there.

No problem.

Awesome. I've read dozens of threads and don't hear this enough. I concur poster

Well, if you prefer to live in a foreign country without any rights, "up to you". What if she dies of heart attack sooner than you, will you enjoy the fact that her family/heir can throw you out anytime?

To follow up, people in here are often deep in debt and often even take their life because they can not pay back to the loan sharks. So what is your bet, will they take their life, or rather throw an old farang out of the house who is supposed to still have more than enough money to support himself anyway?

I did it the easy way.

Her land.

Her house.

I paid.

I live there.

No problem.

Well, if you prefer to live in a foreign country without any rights, "up to you". What if she dies of heart attack sooner than you, will you enjoy the fact that her family/heir can throw you out anytime?

Actually FYI if my wife dies before me the house and land goes to my son and I am his legal guardian as he is only 8 so yes I will stay here and no they cannot throw me out.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Out of curiousity where do you live?

To follow up, people in here are often deep in debt and often even take their life because they can not pay back to the loan sharks. So what is your bet, will they take their life, or rather throw an old farang out of the house who is supposed to still have more than enough money to support himself anyway?

I really think you need to change you medicine or your doctor as you seem to talking an ill informed load of rubbish.

Don't do it !!!

Buy your own land and build your own house, somewhere that's not too near her family!!!

If she loves you she won't care so long as your together.

I've heard of far too many sad stories.... just think!.... Do you want to be living in a house, near her and her family, if you have seperated?... Do you think they are going to want you living near them?.... especially if you take a new woman there with you! (serious loss of face that would be).

And if it's not in a prime location... you will find it extremely difficult to sell it.

Please explain how a farang can buy land in their own name.

Edited by mrbojangles
Duplicate quote removed

Without an usufruct or lease I think that the house can still be yours. However, you will still need permission to cross the land to get to it. Usufruct or lease is essential and it's better to get one or the other before you build.

If you are legally married, any land or building purchased after the date of the marriage is 50% yours in terms of value. I think that the same applies to unmarried couples who have been together for at least five years.

She was not a bar girl. I met her while working overseas about five and a half years ago. Now, I'm one of the poor unfortunates that trusted that everything would last for ever. I built her a beautiful farang quality home on her land in a small faming village in the North but, after just over five years together, thing have gone horribly sour and in a few days, need to walk away. Because It's a small farming community where so many of the villagers are family, I did't see the point in agreeing a lease on the land and although it was originally intended, marriage has been off the cards for some time. However, I was intrigued to read Morden's comment a few days ago that he believes that there could be a legal reason for a 50/50 split if you have been together for at least five years. At the moment, I walk away with nothing and she keeps the house, the furniture, the gold, all my tools, everything and I walk away with nothing and little money of my own remaining. Today, I spoke on the phone with a Bangkok lawyer who says that unless we're married or otherwise agree, a 50/50 split isn't possible. Is there anybody out there who can confirm or give accurate, positive guidance either way? I'm not desparate; just very sad and very envious of those who say that you can be happy with and trust Thai ladies.

<I built her a beautiful farang quality home on her land>

When will they ever learn, oh when will they ever learn?

• Like 1

I did it the easy way.

Her land.

Her house.

I paid.

I live there.

No problem.

Actually FYI if my wife dies before me the house and land goes to my son and I am his legal guardian as he is only 8 so yes I will stay here and no they cannot throw me out.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Out of curiousity where do you live?

The only issue for you is he cannot take legal ownership of any property or land until he reaches 18.

The same applies to my 2 daughters.

Tuffy I think you looked at a house2+ years ago. Alisa & I sold last year. there are only 2 options company name & that still has risks or an unsfruct which has possible pitfalls to it as well Quicksilver helped me with info on unsfruct & it had a couple of sticky points that could have come back & bit me later. So realistically really as much as you can own land you really can't with all the possibilities. & it takes 1-3 years to get it into court to settle & it is costly. I have been with Alisa 9 years now we have turned 2 houses & about 7 rai over the years. While our relationship is not perfect( I am not perfect by a long shot so I wouldn't even know what that was) neither of us is going to turn face so it is possible if you are tight with your girl.

Whatever is your max number you feel good with parting with in the end(I been married once before in the U.S. & I was glad to walk out with my clothes & my dog ) I don't think even with the land problems you can lose in the end.But maybe not always............. if you look up quicksiver(if he is still on TV) He has an eloquent way of explaining the upside & the downside of both ways. If you straight up don't trust her one of the 2 options are the best.

Good luck hope you are as lucky in this dept. as I am

Barry

• Like 1

Tuffy I think you looked at a house2+ years ago. Alisa & I sold last year. there are only 2 options company name & that still has risks or an unsfruct which has possible pitfalls to it as well Quicksilver helped me with info on unsfruct & it had a couple of sticky points that could have come back & bit me later. So realistically really as much as you can own land you really can't with all the possibilities. & it takes 1-3 years to get it into court to settle & it is costly. I have been with Alisa 9 years now we have turned 2 houses & about 7 rai over the years. While our relationship is not perfect( I am not perfect by a long shot so I wouldn't even know what that was) neither of us is going to turn face so it is possible if you are tight with your girl.

Whatever is your max number you feel good with parting with in the end(I been married once before in the U.S. & I was glad to walk out with my clothes & my dog ) I don't think even with the land problems you can lose in the end.But maybe not always............. if you look up quicksiver(if he is still on TV) He has an eloquent way of explaining the upside & the downside of both ways. If you straight up don't trust her one of the 2 options are the best.

Good luck hope you are as lucky in this dept. as I am

Barry

Long time no see Barry!

Thanks for the info, we are in the process of building now and I just wanted to get my ducks in a row. I think the Usufruct is the best way to go. By no means bullet proof but at least better than nothing especially in the case of death.

How you doing/ And congrads on starting your build .Usufruct is good way to go in the case of death for sure. Very good idea to do the footwork now before you are deep in the build. Cheers

Barry

I believe that if you are married and you divorce she can have any usufruct voided within one year of divorce...

Section 1469. Any agreement concluded between husband and wife during marriage may be avoided by either of them at any time during marriage or within one year from the day of dissolution of marriage; provided that the right of third persons acting in good faith are not affected thereby.

Edited by sfokevin