Her Land My House?

tuffy

Why don't you just go the company route with the lease on the property? Simple really and if she said why don't you trust me - just respond the truth - I did and ultimately I don't trust anyone but myself with my money and she understood and we went from there

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey - there really is a legal system in Thailand. If you want some sort of assurance - go to see the local lawyer (yah - that can be dodgy at times) but it does work. You can get a "will", house "ownership", and even get to claim things that you thought you lost in the case your g/f dishes you. So, it would be good to quit this thread with stupid stories and just what you know.

Don't do it !!!

Buy your own land and build your own house, somewhere that's not too near her family!!!

If she loves you she won't care so long as your together.

I've heard of far too many sad stories.... just think!.... Do you want to be living in a house, near her and her family, if you have seperated?... Do you think they are going to want you living near them?.... especially if you take a new woman there with you! (serious loss of face that would be).

And if it's not in a prime location... you will find it extremely difficult to sell it.

do you know something i dont please tell me how to legally buy my own land that i will be free to sell or rent out to someone else at anytime

Thanks

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Please tell me about this. Add me to your mailing list if you know how I can buy land and own it in my name? I wait in hope. Regards, joboss

Trust aside, it wouldn't do you any harm to find out all the options open to you, and then weigh them up yourself. You might want some sort of provisional cover in case of uncertain scenarios arising.

I don't, for instance know what would happen if your spouse met with an accident / death, and you had no 'real' claim on the land, whether married or not. It also depends on the land title that your partner holds. Some land here only gives the right to live on and use the land, and pass it on to family (Thai), and in this case, a registered usufruct / lease is not an option. In such cases, you can legally draw up a standard loan agreement (bi goo ngern) witnessed / signed by the village chief the pooyai, or ob ba dor, one other impartial witness, and signed / copied by yourself and the recipient, where you might 'loan' (on paper) the amount of money to be spent on the property, (or half of it, to be fair) to the real land owner, with interest (usually 3%), and have the land put up as assurity against the loan. In case of any unfortunate mishaps, you have some recourse to get your agreed investment back, or continue having access to the land - at the very end, through the courts, if necessary. This might cost you 3 baht for the form - some carbon paper, and a beer for the chief.

At the end of the day, it's not legal for you to own land here, except in certain circumstances, and you are a guest, and will always be referred to as a foreigner by the powers that be here - regardless of marital status. Regardless of love and good intentions and mutual trust, there are sometimes other factors at work against the outcome of a relationship, and I most certainly hope they don't for anyone, but if things do turn sour or spiteful, or bad luck comes your way, and there's a jealous family member after your assets, I believe it's much easier for a National to cause you grief if you don't have a back up plan, other than being able to afford to walk away from it. If I was married, and then divorced, and back to tourist status, I wouldn't have much faith in the court system here to be able to get me a fair half back in any timely manner, and then - what if you're broke and old already ? It's all very well for posters to appear flabbergasted, and talk of mutual trust like we've never heard of it, but then why should everything have to be in a Thai's name here, and why does the law make no provision for both names to be allowed ? And, why shouldn't I be allowed to have assets in my name, that I'm paying for ? I'm only saying this, because it would appear you're having some misgivings, to be posting this in the first place ?

It would be nice to think it's all rosey and lovely here, and we live in a World where you can trust everyone, everywhere - but the very real fact is you can't, and I know plenty of people here who have gone into relationships with both 'normal' straight women, and hard core institutionalised prostitutes, all with the best, honest intentions, and had different outcomes - some very good, some very bad - instigated by both sexes, regardless of background. What seems to be a constant, regardless of who anyone settles down with here, and genuinely love - if it turns sour, I see a lot of Westerners on the losing side - certainly asset wise, if they have been too trusting. It's all relative, and I'm not loaded, and have had to work my arse off for the money I've made, so if I'm making a commitment, and considerable investment - upto a good few million - which for me is beyond the point of return, I'm all up for halves personally with someone I love, even though it's all my dough really, regardless of the outcome - but it's your call. If I was seriously loaded, and she's a real beauty, I would throw a saddle over her, build a nice house for both of you, enjoy your love and the moment now, and I wouldn't give a shit about the outcome....

Good luck - I hope you have a great relationship / happy ending (when you average it all out !)

Sounds like talk from an insurance salesman in Epsom.

GOODNESS GRACIOUS ME!

"Her land, My house/ Car in my name". I fail to understand marriage that is not based upon trust. What happened to your relationship if you are already think/planning to do a runner? Fifteen years down the track and no such thoughts have entered OUR mutual relationship. Have you ever considered counselling?

I wish you all the best but please consider your insecurity before investing too much.

Regards from PEP

I'd love to live in the ideal world you fantasize ... but I read the divorce statistics and play the odds. Hope for the best and plan for the worst.

• Like 1

Sounds like talk from an insurance salesman in Epsom.

Uncanny, and really cleverly witty, Bronzepickup - but completely wrong, I'm afraid.

That was actually talk from someone who's 'lived' here, not as a tourist, or as an aloof, on the surface, sustained by money, ignorant, bigoted Westerner - but as a whole hearted life choice - completely immersed in the culture and blessed with a knowledge of it's subtle nuances and mindset, only truly discoverable by understanding, speaking, and 'living' Thai pretty much fluently - permanently for the last 17 Years, offering some sound advice in a diplomatic fashion, for the original poster to interpret, and use as he wished - instead of like a constipated, crass Neanderthal.

Conducively, I believe a dose of Epsom administered orally might provide relief....

And the point of your hilarious post was ?

I did it the easy way.

Her land.

Her house.

I paid.

I live there.

No problem.

...........................yet..................biggrin.png
You beat me to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So both of you know me personally (I'm not sure that I know you though) and you are 100% convinced the we will fail and I will lose the house and land that I don't own.

Strangely enough you were correct at one point.

I did lose the house and I only kept my pensions and what fitted into a Ford Mondeo estate car.

Mind you that WAS in the UK and not Thailand.

Please try not to generalise as it makes me think that you are both a genius and generally speaking that isn't true.

So you got taken to the cleaners in the UK and now you found true love with a poor Isaan farm girl :rolleyes:

Don't forget to buy a pickup and a few motobikes for her cousins and sign for a huge life insurance :cheesy:

Started build in Phitsanulok in January

Her land.

Her house.

My money

My usurfruct

My superficies

Her will leaving the house to me (which I would have to sell within a year I believe)

The last three in case something happens to her

I paid.

My pension

Blokes get skinned for everything over her in UK anyway. Not much difference.

• Like 1

I did it the easy way.

Her land.

Her house.

I paid.

I live there.

No problem.

...........................yet..................biggrin.png
You beat me to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So both of you know me personally (I'm not sure that I know you though) and you are 100% convinced the we will fail and I will lose the house and land that I don't own.

Strangely enough you were correct at one point.

I did lose the house and I only kept my pensions and what fitted into a Ford Mondeo estate car.

Please try not to generalise as it makes me think that you are both a genius and generally speaking that isn't true.

I think a few of the TV posters here are on the wrong thread.

I recommend a different thread: The Worst Joke Ever

Why must sensible threads be pulled down to this level - what does it achieve?

If I'm not mistaken, in Thailand any agreement entered into during marriage can be rendered null & void, providing the ex goes before a judge after the divorce is final & makes such a request.

This means, basically, that it is almost impossible to protect your ownership rights 100%.

I have noticed, however, that most Thai women do not know this fact up-front, meaning that if you ever find yourself in this unfortunate predicament but somehow manage to handle your divorce amicably, your ex will either never get so far as to learn about this or dismiss it as being jai-kep if she does.

I am one of the lucky ones who married a pure-hearted Thai. I built her a house in Udon Thani with everything, including our tuk-tuk & motorcycle, in her name only; even our Thai bank accounts were jointly held. After seven years there, we sold the house for a nice profit. She transfered almost the entire amount to my bank account in the U.S., & we moved to Washington state where we built a new house in both our names. It can be done. And for the record, she was a Phuket bar girl, though very new, & is 25 years my junior.

Everything -- even luck -- depends on your outlook of life (e.g., moral judgments or limitations) & what's important to you. It all comes back to karma.

• Like 2

GOODNESS GRACIOUS ME!

"Her land, My house/ Car in my name". I fail to understand marriage that is not based upon trust. What happened to your relationship if you are already think/planning to do a runner? Fifteen years down the track and no such thoughts have entered OUR mutual relationship. Have you ever considered counselling?

I wish you all the best but please consider your insecurity before investing too much.

Regards from PEP

A stitch in time saves nine.

Better safe than sorry.

Does anyone else have some words of wisdom to add for our naive friend?

Yes, no problem,

as long as "YOU PAY!" and are a "Good Boy" and not unfaithful!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Why you shouldn't want to keep it like this.

I try to bee good, I'm not unfaithful, I'm happy with my wife, I gave the money for the house, she own it, it's now more than 10 years,

Assume we rented a house for this period of time, I would have paid the same amount in rent as I paid to own a house(my wife), so I would have given my money to a landlord I hardly know, my wife would have had nothing,

• Like 2

I did it the easy way.

Her land.

Her house.

I paid.

I live there.

No problem.

i did it an easya way.

her land she paid.

her house she paid.

i live in it and my dog.

only problem i have to pay for my drinkwai.gif

• Like 2

Yes, you can. Get a lease or usufruct on the land, then build the house in your name Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Be careful a Usufruct expires after 30 years or upon your death!

Yes, you can. Get a lease or usufruct on the land, then build the house in your name Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And just why will I need to be careful after I'm dead?

After I'm dead what will any of this matter to me?

Somebody else who knows me personally obviously.

quote yoslim post #40

Wrong on 4 counts

My wife doesn't come from Issan

There is a pickup in the family. I bought it in my wifes name as she wasn't earning enough, now it is in her name.

The only motorbikes in the family are mine.

There is no life insurance.

No cigar.

Quote Alfredo post #44

Somebody else who knows me personally and all my guilty secrets.

Yes, as long as YOU pay and are a GOOD boy and not unfaithful.

You sir ARE correct apart from the first bit "as long as YOU pay".

So, once again, no cigar.

Quote laislica post #42

I think a few of the TV posters here are on the wrong thread.

I recommend a different thread: The Worst Joke Ever

Why must sensible threads be pulled down to this level - what does it achieve?

It builds their ego and tries to make them look and sound intelligent. It is also a cover for insecurity, arrogance and stupidity.

Let me generalize then, be it UK or Thailand, buy in your name, never in someone else name, if you can by any means.

And just why will I need to be careful after I'm dead?

After I'm dead what will any of this matter to me?

Because in Thailand, you can be dead even because of the usufruct.

Without an usufruct or lease I think that the house can still be yours. However, you will still need permission to cross the land to get to it. Usufruct or lease is essential and it's better to get one or the other before you build.

If you are legally married, any land or building purchased after the date of the marriage is 50% yours in terms of value. I think that the same applies to unmarried couples who have been together for at least five years.

She was not a bar girl. I met her while working overseas about five and a half years ago. Now, I'm one of the poor unfortunates that trusted that everything would last for ever. I built her a beautiful farang quality home on her land in a small faming village in the North but, after just over five years together, thing have gone horribly sour and in a few days, need to walk away. Because It's a small farming community where so many of the villagers are family, I did't see the point in agreeing a lease on the land and although it was originally intended, marriage has been off the cards for some time. However, I was intrigued to read Morden's comment a few days ago that he believes that there could be a legal reason for a 50/50 split if you have been together for at least five years. At the moment, I walk away with nothing and she keeps the house, the furniture, the gold, all my tools, everything and I walk away with nothing and little money of my own remaining. Today, I spoke on the phone with a Bangkok lawyer who says that unless we're married or otherwise agree, a 50/50 split isn't possible. Is there anybody out there who can confirm or give accurate, positive guidance either way? I'm not desparate; just very sad and very envious of those who say that you can be happy with and trust Thai ladies.

• Like 1

Without an usufruct or lease I think that the house can still be yours. However, you will still need permission to cross the land to get to it. Usufruct or lease is essential and it's better to get one or the other before you build.

If you are legally married, any land or building purchased after the date of the marriage is 50% yours in terms of value. I think that the same applies to unmarried couples who have been together for at least five years.

She was not a bar girl. I met her while working overseas about five and a half years ago. Now, I'm one of the poor unfortunates that trusted that everything would last for ever. I built her a beautiful farang quality home on her land in a small faming village in the North but, after just over five years together, thing have gone horribly sour and in a few days, need to walk away. Because It's a small farming community where so many of the villagers are family, I did't see the point in agreeing a lease on the land and although it was originally intended, marriage has been off the cards for some time. However, I was intrigued to read Morden's comment a few days ago that he believes that there could be a legal reason for a 50/50 split if you have been together for at least five years. At the moment, I walk away with nothing and she keeps the house, the furniture, the gold, all my tools, everything and I walk away with nothing and little money of my own remaining. Today, I spoke on the phone with a Bangkok lawyer who says that unless we're married or otherwise agree, a 50/50 split isn't possible. Is there anybody out there who can confirm or give accurate, positive guidance either way? I'm not desparate; just very sad and very envious of those who say that you can be happy with and trust Thai ladies.

I feel truly sorry for you as it hasn't worked out and you are one of the unlucky ones. I have known my wife for 20 years and been married 13 years this month and still believe in her, me and us and trust. There ARE more people like me around though sadly there are many more people like you and on this forum there are more bad stories than good. A look at some of the responses on this thread alone will tell you why not many people report their successes.

Unfortunately I cannot help you on the 50/50 split as it hasn't happened to me in Thailand.

In the UK as I wrote earlier I kept most of my clothes and a lot of personal stuff plus my pensions, my son in the UK got all my tools etc and my wife kept the house. I paid alimony etc as long as I was working and I found out back in 2004 that my wife had sold the house we jointly owned and made money on the deal, good for her.

I was quite happy with my UK wife in the early days of our marriage but it wasn't holding together and that was mostly my fault.

It's very foolish to give your money away. I don't give my money away to anyone.

Best thing to do, whenever you pay for anything, get a receipt with your name on it.

Gold, buildings, furniture, vehicles, houses, you can own them all but need to be able to prove you paid for them.

I find it sad that so many men put trust above self-preservation.

Just a thought, if you left with the gold, tools and furniture, could she prove it was hers?

@Paradice lost.

That 5 years being together, should give you any rights whatsoever, I am sorry to say is 100% BS !sad.png

Commonlaw marriage is not recognized by Thai law.

Makes me wonder why people post about something, they clearly know zero about??