Having Items Sent To Thailand

Malthus101

Why hello again...

Just weighed my suitcase and it comes to about 25 Kilo - my limit is 20.

A large proportion of that is hardback books I need with me to study while I'm out here living in CM.

It might make more sense to have someone post them to me from the UK.

Can you guys give me any advice? Should (can I?) have it sent to a Poste Restante type service or should I wait unil I have a permanant address and have it sent directly there?

How safe is it? Is it likely to arrive?

Will I be charged import duty of some kind?

These kinds of things...

Thanks

Malthus101

I've carried 20 kilos over weight on the plane I'm travelling on. They just charge you extra when paying for your flight. 20 kilos is the limit, but that doesn't mean you can't carry much more. For only 5 kilos over I think it would be much cheaper and easier to just pay the added fee at check in time.

• Like 1

I've carried 20 kilos over weight on the plane I'm travelling on. They just charge you extra when paying for your flight. 20 kilos is the limit, but that doesn't mean you can't carry much more. For only 5 kilos over I think it would be much cheaper and easier to just pay the added fee at check in time.

Hi - well the reason I'm asking is that I checked Cathay Pacific's website and from what I can make out, for every 2.2 Kilo you go over, they charge something like $60-100.

Surely sending a package by FedEx or someone would be cheaper?

Thanks.

In contrast to CloudHopper's experience, I have had several packages sent to me here via FedEx, from the US, and never once paid a penny to customs.

Now, those packages contained things like books purchased from Amazon, or other items, like gifts of certain items from friends: none of them contained new consumer electronics, or cameras, or anything like that. A friend of mine at Microsoft is kind enough to keep me updated with the latest Microsoft OS's, and tools for software development, but he ships the DVD's to me outside their "official packaging," and declares them as "replacement software disks," listing their value as what he actually pays at the company store (which is dirt cheap, for him).

Over many years here, I have heard more complaints about UPS, and DHL, in regard to high customs-fees, and "surprise extra charges," but I have had not personal experience using either of those two carriers, so I'd discount those stories.

My personal experience using FedEx here, over years, as both receiver, and shipper, has been excellent.

Your experience may vary.

good luck, ~o:37;

• Like 1

Am currently trying to receive a package from FedEx. If nightmares are your thing use them.

My cousin lost her ATM card and her mother sent her the new one also she added in Candy and some birthday cards. They were sent to me as I live here and she will only be coming for a short visit.

That was a week ago FedEx sent the package to customs who are closed until Wednesday and informed me that They would need a copy of my passport which I forwarded to them, Now they say they want to know the contents of the package which I have forwarded to them. O by the way when I say informed me it means I had tio go to them and ask what is happening they in no way contacted me.

They also have informed me that they will need an additional 1,500 baht for the service they are giving me and they are in the process of contacting the shipper to ascertain the value of the goods.

I would recommend UPS or mail or any thing else besides FedEx.

Within the past couple months, there seems to be a "crack down" by customs on packages sent via the courier services like DHL, FedEx, UPS. I've had two recent experiences similar to Hellodolly's for items that sailed thru customs in the past. The last two shipments came to me via USPS Global Priority Mail slick as a whistle. No problems.

But, I have a receiving address at a condo where the office does a great job of logging in all shipments and making you sign when you pick them up. Our previous condo just left incoming mail sitting around on a table in the office and anyone could take it.

If the OP is staying a a larger hotel or serviced apartment, they probably would be trustworthy for receiving packages sent via the mail.

I fly a LOT and from what I have seen its only normally the budget airlines that hammer you for excess. Real airlines are not so strict, as long as you are not trying to take the piss with 30 odd kgs. Additionally, the airline is more likely to be more lenient with you if you are a frequent flyer with their airline or syndicate. Failing that, bung them in your carry-on.

I fly a LOT and from what I have seen its only normally the budget airlines that hammer you for excess. Real airlines are not so strict, as long as you are not trying to take the piss with 30 odd kgs. Additionally, the airline is more likely to be more lenient with you if you are a frequent flyer with their airline or syndicate. Failing that, bung them in your carry-on.

Just came back from Melbourne and the bag was a bit over, so the girl asked me if I could take something out; I took out two books and she said OK.

So I walked off carrying my bag in one hand and the two books in the other and she wasn't blonde.

As others have noted, try repacking as much of your heavier items as you can into your carry on. Even hand carry a heavy book or two as someone else suggested. The idea is to make your carry on heavier and your checked luggage lighter. You may arrive with an aching shoulder or back for a few days but you'll have saved the dough.

Am currently trying to receive a package from FedEx. If nightmares are your thing use them.

My cousin lost her ATM card and her mother sent her the new one also she added in Candy and some birthday cards. They were sent to me as I live here and she will only be coming for a short visit.

That was a week ago FedEx sent the package to customs who are closed until Wednesday and informed me that They would need a copy of my passport which I forwarded to them, Now they say they want to know the contents of the package which I have forwarded to them. O by the way when I say informed me it means I had tio go to them and ask what is happening they in no way contacted me.

They also have informed me that they will need an additional 1,500 baht for the service they are giving me and they are in the process of contacting the shipper to ascertain the value of the goods.

I would recommend UPS or mail or any thing else besides FedEx.

God! What a nightmare!

You are allowed a further 7 kilo's of carry on luggage. My experience is that if you are 1 or 2 kilo's over in hold luggage they don't bother with it but if you do get a snotty check in clerk you can usually take out and carry on what's left over.

From the UK use Royal Mail standard postage and it's fine, you don't need all these fancy courier services that over charge and get you into crap with customs. If you keep your parcels under 2 kilo's and width and depth combined not greater than 900mm it will cost you about 23 quid. If you go larger the cost rises significantly. When whoever posts to you fills in the customs sticker always put value below 20 quid regardless of value in parcel. Over that and customs will be into it. All sounds a bit daunting but I've been doing it every month for five and a half years and never had a single problem.

As others have noted, try repacking as much of your heavier items as you can into your carry on. Even hand carry a heavy book or two as someone else suggested. The idea is to make your carry on heavier and your checked luggage lighter. You may arrive with an aching shoulder or back for a few days but you'll have saved the dough.

Yeah, might save a lot of hassle to trim down here before leaving - think about what I could buy when I arrive (toiletries etc) - maybe I don't need ALL of the books I have packed etc.

You are allowed a further 7 kilo's of carry on luggage. My experience is that if you are 1 or 2 kilo's over in hold luggage they don't bother with it but if you do get a snotty check in clerk you can usually take out and carry on what's left over.

From the UK use Royal Mail standard postage and it's fine, you don't need all these fancy courier services that over charge and get you into crap with customs. If you keep your parcels under 2 kilo's and width and depth combined not greater than 900mm it will cost you about 23 quid. If you go larger the cost rises significantly. When whoever posts to you fills in the customs sticker always put value below 20 quid regardless of value in parcel. Over that and customs will be into it. All sounds a bit daunting but I've been doing it every month for five and a half years and never had a single problem.

Prices for parcels overseas are crazy now - I just sold some small speakers to a girl in France on eBay - I got £56 for them and told her £20 for P+P (over-quoting a little I thought) - £76 the PO wanted for the qucik service!!! TO FRANCE FROM LONDON! Takes 2.5 hours to get there on the Eurostar - what a total joke. I ended upsending them 3rd class which cost £44 - they weighed 7.5 Kilo.

Over a week later they have still not arrived and I didn't get tracking at that price (ripoff scumbags the PO are!)

And so I could turn a profit of £11 - pathetic. Should have just given them to a family member.

Thanks for your tips though, I'll consider every option.

Generally airline allow upto 25kg, or you can use the carry on allowance, normally 7kg

The other option is send by POST do not use a courier, such as DHL TNT etc

It will cost you, as courier needs a broker for customs clearance, so you have their fees plus VAT etc

If you have a postal address, send by post, normal delivery times 10/14 days and you should get anyway without duties

Whatever keep the cost low GBP20, state on any CC declaration 'used books / clothing'

I send parcel all the time from the UK

Try to use the post office whenever possible. If you use FedEx or another courier you will be ruthlessly gouged by customs, regardless of the official tariff rates that might apply.

Thanks good tip.

Not only customs FedEx is charging me an additional 1,500 baht that is over and above what is over and above what the shipper has already paid them.

Youve obviously never been a regular budget airline flier - the sort that charges you for cabin bags in the hold. You need to use the tricks that budget travellers use*.

Buy the largest cabin bag that meets size requirements (useful to any regular traveller anyway), a bigger laptop bag and a big coat with deep pockets! Once you are on the plane all the excess weight can go into your cabin bag. Any self-respecting cabin bag is going to be able to suck up an extra 5kg of weight and a voluminous coat, given that the airlines measly 7-8kg allowances leave you having to put a sorry little bundle rattling around in the bottom.

Nobody checks your cabin bag weight in the Middle East if you happen to be transiting through there (in my reasonably extensive personal experience, though I suspect someone is going to come on and say that they had to forfeit stuff in one of those desert sheds).

*I'm relying on my brother-in-laws advice (backed up by his family who say they travel like the Michelin man when they take their 10 quid trips on Ryan Air et al). Personally I am a cheap charlie but not that cheap! Still - I have occasionally partially copied their technique on international flights where the baggage excesses are going to be 50$ a kilo (+/- $20). My deliberately oversize laptop bag would easily accomodate 5kg of paperbacks + small light laptop and other accessories: Less useful by itself though if you travel with a large heavy laptop.

Edited by SantiSuk

Well.. my carry on I just weighed already comes in at over 10KG without putting any of the heavy stuff from my suitacse into it!

Suddenly their allowances really don't seem like much. If I only I'd gone with a 30KG airline - oh well.

Have to think my way around it...

Hmm... Thought it would make sense to weigh the books - they come to over 9KG alone!

Would be smarter to only bring the essential ones with me, get my hand luggage to 7KG and the the suitcase to 20KG and have the others sent out when I get an address in CM.

Santi Suk - I like your thinking!

I could hang my camera around my neck to save weight, yes? Carry a few books in my hand and say I am reading them on the plane - have them alongside my passport and ticket so it just all looks like my "documents"...

Youve obviously never been a regular budget airline flier - the sort that charges you for cabin bags in the hold. You need to use the tricks that budget travellers use*.

Buy the largest cabin bag that meets size requirements (useful to any regular traveller anyway), a bigger laptop bag and a big coat with deep pockets! Once you are on the plane all the excess weight can go into your cabin bag. Any self-respecting cabin bag is going to be able to suck up an extra 5kg of weight and a voluminous coat, given that the airlines measly 7-8kg allowances leave you having to put a sorry little bundle rattling around in the bottom.

Nobody checks your cabin bag weight in the Middle East if you happen to be transiting through there (in my reasonably extensive personal experience, though I suspect someone is going to come on and say that they had to forfeit stuff in one of those desert sheds).

*I'm relying on my brother-in-laws advice (backed up by his family who say they travel like the Michelin man when they take their 10 quid trips on Ryan Air et al). Personally I am a cheap charlie but not that cheap! Still - I have occasionally partially copied their technique on international flights where the baggage excesses are going to be 50$ a kilo (+/- $20). My deliberately oversize laptop bag would easily accomodate 5kg of paperbacks + small light laptop and other accessories: Less useful by itself though if you travel with a large heavy laptop.

Santi Suk - so are you saying I could carry my laptop in my hand, seperate to my cabin luggage and they would let that go? I could put my iPad inside the laptop sleeve to reduce weight further - with those two taken out, the weight drops from 9KG to 5KG - a large proportion of the weight.

I could also hang my camera around my neck but surely they would get what was up wouldn't they?

Thanks.

Just spoke to Cathay... they said you are allowed one bag in the cabin (as we all know) and to be holding 1 personal item (like a laptop or a camera) however... they will expect it all to be weighed together and it must all come in under 7KG.

Given that my laptop alone weighs about 4KG, this is going to be very tricky indeed.

27KG in total is really quite crap! Especially as I'm coming out for 6 months to a year.