Twin Bomb Explosions Shatter Boston Marathon Finish Line

SeaVisionBurma

Stop this nonsense, please!

Lots of innocent people have been killed and injured. Sure as hell the police and FBI will get him - dead or alive!

But this will not recompense the innocent victims. What does it matter if they catch him dead or alive? If taken alive he will talk, - they will make him. And maybe some other bastards will be caught. Will this change anything? I am afraid not.

The problem can be solved only if and when terrorism is ended! Humans are a murderous species. Look back to History.

It is full of cruelty deaths and murder, BUT NEVER TERRORISM!

IRA, RED BRIGADE, BLACK SEPTEMBER, ETA, AL-QAEDA and many similar organisations are invention of 20th century.

These organisations are the answer to State terrorism in their respective countries or across the border. And we, innocent people are the meat in the sandwich (often literally).

This bastard who is responsible for bombings is washed out, dead in any case. And good riddance. But the problem is - there will be many more. And we must think how to stop their appearance. Anything else is a waste of time.:mfr_closed1:

Quite agree. The root causes that create conflict need to be addressed rather than just the symptoms. And that invariably means a whole range of issues rather than just demonising one religion as some would wish to do.

Your history is a little awry as terrorism has its historical roots well pre 20 th century. See 1st century Jewish Sicari, 11th century Shiite Assassins, 19th anarchists in US and Europe ( high points murdering 1 Tsar and 1 US president). IRA origins in 1867. And in the USA both John Brown and the KKK could well be classified as terrorists.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This case is a watermark for me. I always thought that if you took intelligent people, brought them to the west, gave them good life, good education and a chance at a great life, Almost no one would turn to this type of deviant behavior.

This is a clear case where i am totally wrong. There are some people that are wired in such a way that even with all the assets available to them, they still chose to hurt other people.

What is it about the Islamist Muslims that make them so different from moderate Muslims and the rest of humanity? I dont think any other religious subset causes so much pain. please correct me if i am wrong.

Is it that they believe and obey their religious clerics without question? Do they? If so, does that make them more susceptible to deviant ideology?

I'm not even sure about moderate Muslims now. It seems that these young men started out as moderate Muslims they suffered no injustices in the US, but still were turned to radicalism without anyone moderate knowing it. If someone noticed something, they are not saying it, there by perpetuating the radicalism of others.

I'll probably get flame for this, showing my ignorance and all, but i'm really at a wall here. Any enlightening thoughts from any one? I'm really troubled by my conclusion that even all moderate Muslims could be radicalized, and the only warning sign is a showing of slight discontentment.(who hasn't felt disenchanted at one time or another?) And if any moderate could be radicalized, its not really deviant behavior, but something that is a part of the religious nature, albeit a minor part.

I hope the investigations in the next several days, weeks months, years, will add some clarity to my thoughts.

If you are familiar with the film The Truman show you may recall that when Truman realizes that his 'reality' is an illusion he gets in a boat and tries to escape, eventually the boat collides with the edge of the giant filmset which contained Truman's world and the illusion was broken. The truth is terrifying, but the truth sets you free - The MSM and Western governments have helped keep their citizens as millions of Trumans, the illusion has to be broken or civilization is in a long term decline.

http://frontpagemag.com/2013/dgreenfield/islam-sleeper-cell/

We don’t know whether Dzhokar Tsarneav and Tamerlan Tsarneav were aligned with any Muslim terrorist organization, but there is no reason that they had to be.[/size]

So the solution is a neo-con clash of civilizations? If that's your reality you are welcome to it....

Demonising entire religious groups produced the Holocaust.

• Like 2

Some dish about the terrorist's Mama:

"She started quoting conspiracy theories, telling me that she thought
9-11 was purposefully created by the American government to make America
hate muslims. “It’s real,” she said, “My son knows all about it. You
can read on the internet.” I have to say I felt kind of scared and
vulnerable when she said this, as I am distinctly American, and was
lying practically naked in her living room."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/04/19/_zubeidat_tsarnaeva_former_client_of_boston_marathon_bombers_mother.html

You can read on the internet. Indeed!w00t.gif

• Like 1

He is subject to a death penalty charge. To not execute him is leniency in this case, assuming he goes to trial.

I thought Massachusetts did not have the death penalty? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_the_United_States

I assumed these guys are talking about federal charges.

Thanks - not familiar with US policy on Capital Punishment - federal jurisdiction makes sense.

Timothy McVeigh was convicted on murder charges under federal law for the bombing of the United States Federal Building in Oklahoma City.

I suspect if the surviving holdout brother is captured, he will be tried in the U.S. District Court in Boston on terrorism charges. The Patriot Act, which sets the punishments for convicted terrorists is, however, silent on the death penalty. It would be up to the jury. I'd need to be a juror before I could make the call on this one. I should think however the government would present a strong and convincing case.

If I remember correctly, McVeigh was not tried in Oklahoma.

Timothy McVeigh was convicted on murder charges under federal law for the bombing of the United States Federal Building in Oklahoma City.

My statement above is correct.

We can add to it if we like that the venue of the trial was Denver - the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, in Denver.

We can add to it if we like that the venue of the trial was Denver - the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, in Denver.

Yes, both Colorado and Oklahoma are in the 10th Circuit. Mass. & Boston are in the 1st Circuit. As in most high profile cases, the McVeigh case was tried in Denver under the grant of a Change of Venue to obtain a fair and impartial jury. Certainly we would see that in this case too, and the case will likely be tried not in Boston District Federal Court but in either Maine or Rhode Island for the same reasons.

The idea is the home crowd natives are bad jurors. In terrorism cases like this, I have my doubts as any American probably feels the same toward this defendant.

• Like 1

We don’t know whether Dzhokar Tsarneav and Tamerlan Tsarneav were aligned with any Muslim terrorist organization, but there is no reason that they had to be.[/size]

yes that is so typical. nobody needs any proof or information if that would be the case. actually nobody knows but everybody talks like that would be the case.

yes that is so typical. nobody needs any proof or information if that would be the case. actually nobody knows but everybody talks like that would be the case.

Check out their Facebook pages if you want a clue as to who or what they were influenced by, though alas even 19 terrorists flying planes into tall buildings is not sufficient proof for some that they did it.

Yes, both Colorado and Oklahoma are in the 10th Circuit. Mass. & Boston are in the 1st Circuit. As in most high profile cases, the McVeigh case was tried in Denver under the grant of a Change of Venue to obtain a fair and impartial jury. Certainly we would see that in this case too, and the case will likely be tried not in Boston District Federal Court but in either Maine or Rhode Island for the same reasons.

The idea is the home crowd natives are bad jurors. In terrorism cases like this, I have my doubts as any American probably feels the same toward this defendant.

There's been some talk already of changing the venue of the trial to the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Massachusetts, in Springfield, rather than the venue of initial jurisdiction, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Massachusetts, in Boston. An unfilled three-year vacancy on the Springfield court however has that court and venue severely backlogged, so that possible venue likely would be ruled out.

You're not going to find an impartial jury in Maine or Rhode Island either, or in any other venue of the 1st Circuit. Last time I looked Puerto Rico was still in the 1st Circuit. As outlandish as it may sound, and if the case must remain within the 1st Circuit, the unincorporated Territory of Puerto Rico may be the only possible place. I wouldn't be sure about a jury there either. Nor would I be sure a U.S. citizen can be tried in a U.S. Territory even if it is within a U.S. Judicial Circuit, or could be tried in an unincorporated U.S. Territory such as Puerto Rico. Edited by Publicus

There's been some talk already of changing the venue of the trial to the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Massachusetts, in Springfield, rather than the venue of initial jurisdiction, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Massachusetts, in Boston. An unfilled three-year vacancy on the Springfield court however has that court and venue severely backlogged, so that possible venue likely would be ruled out.

You're not going to find an impartial jury in Maine or Rhode Island either, or in any other venue of the 1st Circuit. Last time I looked Puerto Rico was still in the 1st Circuit. As outlandish as it may sound, and if the case must remain within the 1st Circuit, the Territory of Puerto Rico may be the only possible place. I wouldn't be sure about a jury there either. Nor would I be sure a U.S. citizen can be tried in a U.S. Territory even if it is within a U.S. Judicial Circuit.

3 states had a Muslim population of 100K. California, New York, and Michigan. (2000 census)

I would not advise NYblink.png

lots of gun lovers in Mich.whistling.gif

That leaves one remaining state.

But i dont know if they can move that far.

I have no expertise in law other than SOW's and NDA's lolwai.gif

Edited by jamhar

So the solution is a neo-con clash of civilizations? If that's your reality you are welcome to it....

I agree F.

Thats why i'm troubled by my thoughts. But still its hard to look at the data and not see a trend. Take a look at a map of all the Islamic fundamentalist nations. Its a who's who of intolerance and chaos. Worse its a whos who of where a good portion of the worlds chaos originates.

I realize the danger of singling out a religion. but can you give me opposing thoughts? I'm trying to come up with new arguments (rationalizations) myself. maybe i can have them all collected tonight.

Edit:

Sorry gang, I f***** up the text box and had to improvise. I hope i got it right lol

Edited by Scott

They can get him on hit and run charges.

The dumbshit accidently ran over his brother in the get-away.

We don't know for sure that it was an accident.

So, will they charge him with a hit and run?

Absolutely! Regardless of what happens, that's one charge that is a slam dunk. Judging from the body language of the Federal Attorney, She appeared to think the other charges were slam dunks also.

But i would in her shoes. Hit and run, and running over a body that later died, That should at least be good for xx years, yes? if the corner can say the run over was the leading cause of death they should be able to get more years yes? (Again I'm not a lawyer)

(i'm an engineer, I've never had a problem with overkill)

I agree F.

Thats why i'm troubled by my thoughts. But still its hard to look at the data and not see a trend. Take a look at a map of all the Islamic fundamentalist nations. Its a who's who of intolerance and chaos. Worse its a whos who of where a good portion of the worlds chaos originates.

I realize the danger of singling out a religion. but can you give me opposing thoughts? I'm trying to come up with new arguments (rationalizations) myself. maybe i can have them all collected tonight.

Edit:

Sorry gang, I f*cked up the text box and had to improvise. I hope i got it right lol

Indeed, if you look hard enough a rationalization can be made for every single act of terrorist violence. Tribal/Ethnic, war. poverty etc etc. However you need to be willfully blind to not see a common thread when the same methods, influences, quoted texts, ideology is clearly visible. The brothers characterized themselves as devout, but their devotion seems to have led them to the same conclusion as many other equally devout Muslims did before them.

We are 24 pages of discussion into a tragic event with 4 innocent deaths. On a worldwide scale March 2013 brought 189 jihad attacks, spanning 21 Countries, 5 different religions, with a deathtoll of 988. March was just another typical month.

These two guys, the elder brother in particular, appear to be in the new category of "grassroots terrorists." In other words, the older brother probably had some specific training abroad but is unlikely to be connected operationally to any specific militant group on any long term basis.

It's been pointed out that the older brother had been interviewed by FBI in 2011 or 2010 with no finding made he was a threat, which may have been true at that time. The FBI interview occurred because the Russian government tipped the U.S. government about the guy, naming him specifically. However, if the Russian government had had any knowledge of a specific link between the guy and a known organized and disciplined terrorist group, it chose not to say so. So it's unlikely Moscow saw him connected by bonding long term with a specifically known terrorist group.

Grassroots terrorists are dangerous, to be sure. The bombing killed four and injured something like 180 Marathon spectators. But these guys are not the 9/11 terrorists of Al Qaeda and Osama bin Laden. In fact, we seem to be facing a greater danger from grassroots terrorists than from highly organized terrorists groups.

The two brothers realized their purpose on a very soft target but bungled everything after that. The shoe bomber's bomb on the airliner fizzled out. The underwear bomber, also on an airliner, only managed to, well, make himself quite uncomfortable. In the meanwhile, organized terrorist groups have been unable to board an airliner almost anywhere.

The grassroots terrorism of the two brothers was most clearly demonstrated after the bombing. It's clear now that they had no escape plan. They left the scene of the bombing to rob a convenience store to get needed money, stole a credit card, shot and killed an MIT police officer seated in his car, stole an SUV and proceeded to into a high speed chase involving dozens of police vehicles in hot pursuit. Clearly, a suicide bombing by the two wasn't even a thought even tho they effectively committed suicide by engaging themselves in their disorganized grassroots scheme of mass destruction.

The two Marathon bombs the two brothers used required some training to make, but they were not the bombs terrorists make and use. In fact Stratfor suggests that the older brother likely learned more about making bombs by reading Al Qaeda on the Arabian Peninsula's Inspire Magazine than he might have learned from a highly organized terrorist group there or in Chechnya.

If this indeed is the new and predominant reality, i.e., grassroots terrorists within the U.S., then we need to take seriously the new imperative to us from law enforcement and national security officials - if you see something, say something.

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 2

My understanding is that shortly before the capture the bleeding white hat suspect in the boat was STILL shooting! He was clearly looking at that point to do suicide by police, but the police weren't playing his game. So why when it wasn't working didn't he shoot himself?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

If this indeed is the new and predominant reality, i.e., grassroots terrorists within the U.S., then we need to take seriously the new imperative to us from law enforcement and national security officials - if you see something, say something.

Here is another twist:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2013/04/dzhokhar_and_tamerlan_tsarnaev_if_the_suspected_boston_marathon_bombers.html

Look, instead, at another possibility—one that is in some ways more

disturbing than the convenient "foreigners who hate us" explanation.

Although very little has been confirmed, the behavior of the Tsarnaev

brothers looks less like that of hardened, trained terrorists and far

more closely resembles the second-generation European Muslims who have

staged bombings in Madrid, London, and other European cities. Educated

and brought up in Europe, these young men nevertheless felt out of place

in Europe. Unable to integrate, some turned toward a half-remembered,

half-mythological homeland in search of a firmer, fiercer identity.

Often they did so with the help of a radical cleric like the one the

Tsarnaev brothers may have known. "I do not have a single American

friend," Tamerlan Tsarnaev reportedly said of himself. That's the kind

of statement that might have been made by a young Pakistani living in

Coventry or a young Algerian living in Paris.

We don't expect to hear it from someone who grew up in Boston, a city

that has taught generations of foreigners to become Americans in a

country that likes to think of itself as a melting pot. But now it might

be time to change our expectations. These terrorists are a lot less

like the 9/11 attackers and a lot more like the men known as the Tube

bombers of London or the train bombers of Spain. Our response is going

to have to be different—very different—as well.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

My understanding is that shortly before the capture the bleeding white hat suspect in the boat was STILL shooting! He was clearly looking at that point to do suicide by police, but the police weren't playing his game. So why when it wasn't working didn't he shoot himself?

I've just read reports about his serious condition in the hospital, and about how much blood he had lost over perhaps 20 hours from the first gun battle with police. He was in very weak condition when found, in addition to being completely disoriented from all the techniques used by the FBI swat team. Likely he was just too woozy and weak to do anything but lamely shoot outward, and then was subdued. He was probably too disoriented to have the presence of mind to off himself, if indeed that was ever his plan, or he just plain chickened-out.

It hurts......

He was facing getting killed by strangers. Basically demanding it. That hurts too.

I've just read reports about his serious condition in the hospital, and about how much blood he had lost over perhaps 20 hours from the first gun battle with police. He was in very weak condition when found, in addition to being completely disoriented from all the techniques used by the FBI swat team. Likely he was just too woozy and weak to do anything but lamely shoot outward, and then was subdued. He was probably too disoriented to have the presence of mind to off himself, if indeed that was ever his plan, or he just plain chickened-out.

Yeah that makes sense. Still the psychology is odd. It sounds like he would have died there anyway if not discovered. His capture doubled as a life saving operation for him.

It hurts......

He was facing getting killed by strangers. Basically demanding it. That hurts too.

It's like a company paying management consultants to make decisions they could easily make for themselves. Get someone else to do the nasty work...

• Like 1

Yeah that makes sense. Still the psychology is odd. It sounds like he would have died there anyway if not discovered. His capture doubled as a life saving operation for him.

Yes, this element of not appearing to be a suicide bomber has been noted and indeed this does look like a new species of essentially home-grown, possibly Islamist terrorist. In some ways, after reading about how all the associates and friends described him as a normal nice, quiet guy, it doesn't even fit the pattern of the Aurora theater killer James Holmes. Yet, does seem similar in the M.O. of heavily armed, booby trapped bomb-making mayhem and death bringer to innocents in a public place type Aurora killer.

*I do think you hit on an important point early in this analysis, about the possible undue influence the older brother may have had on him, and indeed perhaps even emotional control.

Edited by keemapoot

These guys were cowards. They didn't plan to get caught or to die. They planned to leave some bombs, kill and maim men, women and children, and then skate away. They weren't suicide bombers.

I'll have to wait and see what the various feds figure out about what they were. I'm betting they had help and training along with indoctrination and encouragement. They had a variety of bombs, some of which they threw at pursuing police. They had a mega stash of what was probably black gun powder.

The feds' job #1 right now is to find out who else was involved and that's why no Miranda reading. I'm happy they took this guy alive which they obviously took some risks to do. I hope he lives to find out he has to spill his guts about what happened.

---------------

About powder. Most explosions have black smoke, and as the news pointed out, this was white smoke indicating either smokeless gun powder or black gun powder. Black is the old powder that many people used to make themselves for use in muzzle loaders. It can still be purchased by those who like to shoot antique guns or replicas of them. But it isn't used by that many people and not in those quantities.

Black powder burns at a much faster rate than modern smokeless powder, more like an explosion and it is the powder of choice for bombs. So the hunt is on for the purchaser(s) of all of the components of those bombs, and the brands and types of all components will be known.

It will be known no only who manufactured that powder, but if it was commercial, what batch it was. Some retailer may blow the whistle about a large purchase, and it may be someone other than these perps.

The real investigation hasn't even really started. It took about 10 years to pin the 9/11 killings on Osama Bin Laden and track him down and kill him.

This kid is a coward. He will talk for a plea bargain to save his life. As the late great Karen Carpenter sang, "We've only just begun."

Edited by NeverSure

Borrowed from a Facebook friend: :) Dear Boston Bombers.

You came to our country from a war ravaged hell hole and asked for asylum. We generously gave you and your family sanctuary. We fed you, clothed you and housed you when no one else would. We paid to have you educated at some of our finest schools; schools that are out of the reach of the vast majority of our own native born children. We gave you opportunity, prosperity, and freedom. You have repaid our hospitality with an act of murderous savagery directed at the same innocent people who welcomed you as one of their own. This is a violation of some of the most ancient laws and customs of of every religion and culture on the planet and we would be well within our rights as a people to subject to you and immediate and final sanction; much as we have done with your murderous degenerate brother.

However we are a civilized people and now that you have been captured for your crimes you will come to know a different form of our hospitality. Don't worry we will still ensure that you have food, clothing, and a place to live...in prison where you shall only lack freedom. I am sure your new neighbors will be just as welcoming as the people of Boston whom you have betrayed in that I am certain that they will embrace you as "one or theirs" or at least one of their possessions. Indeed I hope that you will spend many long years with your fellow inmates getting to know you regularly in a very deep and intimate way.

So just relax to the "pressures" of you new life; as after all you are now on your way to a place where every night is valentines day in the cell block and desire falls like rain in the showers.

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 2

These guys were cowards. They didn't plan to get caught or to die. They planned to leave some bombs, kill and maim men, women and children, and then skate away. They weren't suicide bombers.

I'll have to wait and see what the various feds figure out about what they were. I'm betting they had help and training along with indoctrination and encouragement. They had a variety of bombs, some of which they threw at pursuing police. They had a mega stash of what was probably black gun powder.

The feds' job #1 right now is to find out who else was involved and that's why no Miranda reading. I'm happy they took this guy alive which they obviously took some risks to do. I hope he lives to find out he has to spill his guts about what happened.

---------------

About powder. Most explosions have black smoke, and as the news pointed out, this was white smoke indicating either smokeless gun powder or black gun powder. Black is the old powder that many people used to make themselves for use in muzzle loaders. It can still be purchased by those who like to shoot antique guns or replicas of them. But it isn't used by that many people and not in those quantities.

Black powder burns at a much faster rate than modern smokeless powder, more like an explosion and it is the powder of choice for bombs. So the hunt is on for the purchaser(s) of all of the components of those bombs, and the brands and types of all components will be known.

It will be known no only who manufactured that powder, but if it was commercial, what batch it was. Some retailer may blow the whistle about a large purchase, and it may be someone other than these perps.

The real investigation hasn't even really started. It took about 10 years to pin the 9/11 killings on Osama Bin Laden and track him down and kill him.

This kid is a coward. He will talk for a plea bargain to save his life. As the late great Karen Carpenter sang, "We've only just begun."

The pressure cooker method was reportedly intended to amplify the blast by containing the pressure briefly until it built up to very high PSI. Reportedly - the second blast was weaker because the lid was not secured tightly enough. This report is not verified.