Requirements For Obtaining And Renewing A 2 Year Driving Licence

Rimmer

I just met a guy from Holland who's one year license was expired a year ago. He went to rayong office and he was told he had to do the whole gamut.letter From immigration, computer test, drive around etc. and then they told him because he was on a two month visa he would not be able to apply for five year when it was finished he would have to do the one year again. He may have got bad info but he gave up.

Just renewed a one year, upgraded to 5 years in Bangkok. They actually gave me nearly 6 years as it appears they make the expiration your next birthday after the 5 year anniversary (same scenario for my wife who renewed a week earlier. Requirements were the health certificate (80Bt from clinic), copy of passport signature page and visa stamp/extension, affidavit of residency from embassy (1,550Bt from U.S. embassy), and had to take the physical tests again. All easy and straight forward. In and out within 1 hour.

• Thanks 1

Mostly it depends on the person whom you deal with at the DMV. My one year was easy. Had a valid drivers license from the states, got a medical statement and a residency proof and it was done in about 10 minutes. When you go to the DMV always try to talk with the same person you start with. If you don't it can lead to a major paperchase because of how different people translate what the laws or regulations mean!

I agree that it does seem to depend on the person you deal with. A friend and I both renewed our one year licence within a few days of each other, I got a five year one and he was told that a foreigner could only have a one year one.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I agree that it does seem to depend on the person you deal with. A friend and I both renewed our one year licence within a few days of each other, I got a five year one and he was told that a foreigner could only have a one year one.

It depends what type of visa you have as to whether they give you a 1 year or 5 year at renewal time.

short term visa = 1 year licence

Edited by johng
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It depends what type of visa you have as to whether they give you a 1 year or 5 year at renewal time.

short term visa = 1 year licence

As far I know, my friend is on a retirement visa.

I was on a one-year multilpe 'o' visa when I renewed but I dont remember being asked to provide a copy of my visa, I just needed a letter from the police plus the letter from the doctor.

John that is exactly the case. When I went to renew my 1-year license I was expecting to get a 5-year license. You have to go through the exact same process as before. Letter from immigration, letter from doctor's office, copies of your home country's driver's license, copy of passport, copy of visa. I was shocked when I was given another 1-year license (although I was aware that I paid the 1-year fee before taking the picture). I asked why and they said because I don't have the type of visa for a 5-year license. I only have the tourist visa which only gives me 30 days in Thailand, therefore I am only entitled to the 1-year license.

• Thanks 1

tried to get my one year license in Pattaya last wk, but failed as did not have english translation of my EU DL (that does not have a word of english).

So pls prepare a translation or international DL, otherwise you will need to make another trip like me.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

tried to get my one year license in Pattaya last wk, but failed as did not have english translation of my EU DL (that does not have a word of english).

So pls prepare a translation or international DL, otherwise you will need to make another trip like me.

Same experience - instead of getting it translated i did the whole test. 4 hours of dvd, 2 minutes of driving and 5 minutes for the exam. Took 2 days to get it all done.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know when they changed the system at Pattaya DLT

it now seems they use an apointment system, and it's impossible to get a new

( new as in never had one before or your licence expired more than 3 years ago ) licence in one day.

I took my step daughter to try and get her first motorbike licence last week

we arrived early 7.30 AM and there where allready poeple queuing at the office nearest to the wall of the Regents school

( lecture room number 3 not the main office ) this is where you have to submit all the paper work.

Don't make my previous mistake of waiting for the main office to open and then get a ticket number from them..its useless if you're after a first time licence.

At 8.15 the official started organising the group into those with an apointment and those seeking one

about an hour later all documents submitted step daughter returned with a yelow slip of paper saying to come back on 18th June

at 8.15 AM at least it will give her time to revise for the tests.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard today that obtaining your first 1 year licence had changed, in that you had to submit all the paperwork to a satellite office for review, then you were given an appointment to come and go through the process another day. This was particular to Banglamung.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

You submit the paper work to lecture room number 3

post-2109-0-34153100-1371552349_thumb.jppost-2109-0-89586700-1371552362_thumb.jp

They are only doing 80 driving tests per day

if the 80 have allready been handed out they will give you a que number for another/next day.

post-2109-0-60684500-1371552351_thumb.jp

first day ( if your one of the lucky 80 ) is que up submit documents, listen to long lecture in lecture room 3 then do the practicle driving test.

post-2109-0-72496400-1371552356_thumb.jp

if you pass then come back next/another day to do the written test..

So it can easilly take 3 days even if you don't fail any of the tests.

A few Thais where saying that it is much easier to go to Siricha, Sattahip or Rayong where you can still do the whole kaboodle in one day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yellow house book is sufficient, renewed my five year licence in may for another five years, painless, no med certificate, no letter from immigration. Interestingly in the Pattaya office on highway 36 at the top of the stairs is a big sign in English and Thai stating " tourist and educational visas one year licence only"

Hi all,

I'm on an Education Visa and about to do my 90 day reporting in Bangkok. Can I get a proof of residency for my first Thai licence from immigration? Or do I need to go to the British embassy and pay their ridiculous charge of 2,500b?

Cheers.

Edited by Macas67

Hi all,

I'm on an Education Visa and about to do my 90 day reporting in Bangkok. Can I get a proof of residency for my first Thai licence from immigration? Or do I need to go to the British embassy and pay their ridiculous charge of 2,500b?

Cheers.

You should be able to unless they are being difficult.....smile.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For anybody interested in the current process as it was applied to me on Monday please see below.

Renewal of one year car and motor bike licences on Monday at Pattaya Licensing Centre next to Regents School.

As I am on a visa waiver could only renew to another 1 year. Obtained a medical certificate at a clinic in Soi Buakhaow on Sunday for 100baht - the doctor actually checked my blood pressure which was a first (this is the third time to do this).

Arrived Jomtien immigration office 8.45am Monday to obtain residence certificate. A kind lady on the desk filled in the form (written only in Thai) and gave me a queue number. I waited only about two minutes before being called and there is a dedicated desk at the back of the room for residence Certificates. I was asked for my passport, copy of photo page and copy of page showing entry stamp and the entry form (TM6?)and 3 photographs. Because I had a copy of last years certificate he did not bother to ask for or look at any of the other proof of address documents I had brought with me.

Why 3 photos - I stupidly did not press for needing only one certificate which I could then copy so it also cost me 400 instead of 200 baht.

I asked how long to wait and he said 20 minutes - in fact it was only about 10 so was out of the office by 9.10 latest.

After some breakfast and other chores I then trundled off to the Pattaya DLC and walked upstairs to the desk and presented my documents -

Original passport, 2 x copy of photo page, 2 x copy of stamp/TM6 page, Registration certificate and copy, Medical certificate and copy, original licences plus copy of each back and front.

I was told to sign every page and given a green cad with a number on it and told to sit and wait to be called. (the area to sit in has a big sign above saying for red card holders - but they seem to have both red and green). After a couple of minutes all green card holders were called up for the colour, peripheral vision, reaction and depth perception tests (all explained in previous posts)- you need to pay attention as a Thai told me they had called for the green numbers but I had not heard them. These tests for a group of about 8 took about 10-15 minutes total. If passed then told to go and sit back down. Lady sorted the applications, called your name and told you to go and pay at the desk.

Pay - Car and motor cycle one year total 360 baht. Paid and was given a blue ticket and told come back 1pm for photo shoot - time was then 11.40. Wandered outside and found a reasonable noodle soup shop to pass some time.

I was no 16 and was called about 1.30 - they seemed to start late. Picture taken and about 3 minutes later called back and given two new licences and receipts.

One take away for me was that although there is someone on the desk between 12 and 1 taking applications there is no work being done as obviously all the rest of the staff take lunch at that point.

Edited by topt

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have any experience with replacing a missing license at the Pattaya DLT? My wallet was stolen along with my one-year (temp) driver's license. I have a scanned copy of the license and a copy of my IDP. Do I need any other paperwork? Any fee involved?

Thanks,

Bob

• Like 1

Thanks for the updates guys. My question is changing from 1 to 5 yr - paperwork / process?

I have the following in hand.

Passport/copies

Health Certificate

Residency Certificate

Thai Drivers license

Do I need anything else? Copy of my work permit or original?

Plan to do this Thursday morning as my current 1 yr expires on Friday.

Thanks

Anybody have any experience with replacing a missing license at the Pattaya DLT? My wallet was stolen along with my one-year (temp) driver's license. I have a scanned copy of the license and a copy of my IDP. Do I need any other paperwork? Any fee involved?

Thanks,

Bob

Somebody asked this question before but the only thing I remember is I think you need a police report as well as anything else. Sorry I cannot remember what forum it was in but you could try a search on the main suspects.

Thanks for the updates guys. My question is changing from 1 to 5 yr - paperwork / process?

Passport/copies

Health Certificate

Residency Certificate

Thai Drivers license

Thanks

I believe you can only apply for a 5 year the day after your 1 year expires.

See documents required below:

Proof of residence letter from immigration, letter from doctor, photocopies of passport, of visa page, and landing card (all signed), IDL and photocopies of Foreign Driving licence. You also require passport sized photos, but they can take them for a fee.

You will need to take house papers to Immigration Office (Nathon) to get proof of residence paper. Note, you will also need another copy of this if you plan to buy a bike. It is valid for a limited time.

There is a doctor on Nathon that will give you the "medical" certificate.

Tests, eye sight, colour, and depth perception taken at Test centre near Lipa Noi.

You can find more info here using the search function.

Passport/copies

Health Certificate

Residency Certificate

Thai Drivers license

Thanks

I believe you can only apply for a 5 year the day after your 1 year expires.

Ok update on my experience from 1yr to 5 yr this morning.

Docs require - as above including copies of both sides of Thai DL and copy of passport incl landing card and visa pages - Sign the copies.

Arrived at 8am, was 2nd in the non-thai que. About 815 they had us go in and get a number.

Number called a couple mins later - upstairs where lady checks your docs - gives you another card with a number on it.

About 830 - headed for the eye test (colour, depth and reaction) which took 15 mins total for all the people in our group. Told to go sit down after this was finished.

10 mins later lady comes back with our documents/passport and calls us over 1 by 1. Give us a form / and passport to go pay for the license. 655 baht for 5 year. After paying sat down again and waited for the guy to take my photo and produce the license. Another 10 mins. New 5yr license procured in about 1hour. Actually I got more than 5 yrs because my birthday was only a couple months ago so about 5 yrs + 10 months.

Btw, my old 1 yr expired tomorrow - the lady at the entrance mentioned something about being able to renew your license up to 60 days before expiry = no need to wait until it expires.

Overall experience: 9/10. dress nice / speak softly and don't give them a reason to give you a hard time and you can be in and out of there in no time.

Need copies passport, residence certificate, 2 photos, health certificate and your driver licence of course. With that you are ready for go to Banglamung office

By Banglamung are you referring to the centre by Regents School? If yes you do not need 2 photos, apart from for your residence certificate, as they take the pictures there plus you need some more copies of some of the stuff.

If a different centre can you say where it is please?