Requirements For Obtaining And Renewing A 2 Year Driving Licence

Rimmer

Just renewed my 1 year at Rayong. Medical requiredResidence certificate requiredOld licences requiredCopy passport and copy visa page (tourist visa) requiredNo test

Did you just renew or change to 5 year?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Just renewed my 1 year at Rayong. Medical requiredResidence certificate requiredOld licences requiredCopy passport and copy visa page (tourist visa) requiredNo test

Did you just renew or change to 5 year?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just renewed 1 year.

my licences (Thai, issued at Banglamung,), m/c and car expired 2 years ago, UK licences expired 10 years ago . If I now want new licences, do I have to go through the whole procedure . Do I have to borrow a friend's car or whatever for the practicals please ? Since I will cycle to the office from Bang Saray, I'd like to think I might hire one there.

I think you can renew your licence as long as its not more than 3 years expired

if you do have to do all the tests then plan on at least 2 days ( maybe not back to back days ) to get the licence

They have cars and bikes you can " hire" for a short time to do the pratical tests.

I think you can renew your licence as long as its not more than 3 years expired

if you do have to do all the tests then plan on at least 2 days ( maybe not back to back days ) to get the licence

They have cars and bikes you can " hire" for a short time to do the pratical tests.

TVM, at least I will get some exercise if not licences.

Is the hire stuff like the kind of tools I kept for lending out purposes ?

I have copies ofresidence certificate from, immi, Honda took original when I registered bike. Do I need another original please ?

Also my old licences, address is of adjoining apartment (room), am I being paranoid in thinking this might be a difficulty ?

Edited by angrybird

I have copies ofresidence certificate from, immi, Honda took original when I registered bike. Do I need another original please ?

Also my old licences, address is of adjoining apartment (room), am I being paranoid in thinking this might be a difficulty ?

It won't be a problem but you do need a new original.

My 1 year driving licence was just about to expire.

Went to the licencing centre after obtaining from immigration a residency confirmation letter and a letter from a random clinic confirming I was sane.

After completing the relevant driving reaction tests, I obtained a 5 year licence.

Cost was 550 baht for the licence, 200 baht for immigration letter and 100 baht for the letter of sanity.

Simple.

Is there any official reference to the time, if any. allowed between the expiration of licences and a requirement to repeat the whole procedure.please,

I feel if I go there simply to ask the question and if and when I apply on an advised basis of "simply renew" , I may be met with a different answer,

Edited by angrybird

I'm basing my 3 years theory on this poster at the Pattaya DLT

post-2109-0-66357200-1379816129_thumb.jp

its says that new applicants and people with a more than 3 year expired licence can get a que number from lecture room no 3.

I take that to mean that after 3 years you need to re-do the whole test and before 3 years you can renew....

Really the only way to be sure is to go there and try, if the stars and moon are aligned correctly and nobody is having a bad hair day

you could be in luck tongue.png

• Like 1

I'm basing my 3 years theory on this poster at the Pattaya DLT

attachicon.gifIMAGE00392 (Medium).jpg

its says that new applicants and people with a more than 3 year expired licence can get a que number from lecture room no 3.

I take that to mean that after 3 years you need to re-do the whole test and before 3 years you can renew....

Really the only way to be sure is to go there and try, if the stars and moon are aligned correctly and nobody is having a bad hair day

you could be in luck tongue.png

TVM I will stock up with the docs and give it a whirl. Will let everyone know.

Possible glitch may be that apt number on existing DL is a little different from present.

I also see my passport number on the DL is an older one, I will take it and copies, as well as new of course.

Edited by angrybird

• 2 months later...

Where go to doctor? Wysłane z mojego GT-I9505 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Think you can get it done at pretty much any clinic around town for about 100 Baht.

I went to this one on Soi Lengkee, the extension of Soi Diana Inn towards 3rd road..

• Like 1

Went to the licencing centre after obtaining from immigration a residency confirmation letter and a letter from a random clinic confirming I was sane.

After completing the relevant driving reaction tests, I obtained a 5 year licence.

Cost was 550 baht for the licence, 200 baht for immigration letter and 100 baht for the letter of sanity.

May I ask what is required to get THIS and where I would get it?

Staying in Jomtien for 6 months, would like to have a local license for the inevitable times I will be pulled over on my rented 'cycle.... or is 6 months not considered 'residency'? BTW I have a type 'O' Visa valid for 12 months. Thanks!

Staying in Jomtien for 6 months, would like to have a local license for the inevitable times I will be pulled over on my rented 'cycle.... or is 6 months not considered 'residency'? BTW I have a type 'O' Visa valid for 12 months. Thanks!

Take a look at this tread on how to acquire a residence certificate in Pattaya.

John that is exactly the case. When I went to renew my 1-year license I was expecting to get a 5-year license. You have to go through the exact same process as before. Letter from immigration, letter from doctor's office, copies of your home country's driver's license, copy of passport, copy of visa. I was shocked when I was given another 1-year license (although I was aware that I paid the 1-year fee before taking the picture). I asked why and they said because I don't have the type of visa for a 5-year license. I only have the tourist visa which only gives me 30 days in Thailand, therefore I am only entitled to the 1-year license.

That's right.

You need to show visa evidence that you are 'permanent' otherwise why should they give you a 5 year license.

Take a look at this tread on how to acquire a residence certificate in Pattaya.

A 1 year visa will be no problem.

First time you will only get a license valid for 1 year.

When that expires you will be given a 5 year license, provided you have some sort of 1 year visa.

Doesn't cost much more money and time to get a car and bike license at the same time.

I would suggest you get laminated plastic copies made, in fact they are often more useful than a passport (and again, carry a laminated plastic copy of your passport, not the original).

Good luck

Thanks for the updates guys. My question is changing from 1 to 5 yr - paperwork / process?

I have the following in hand.

Passport/copies

Health Certificate

Residency Certificate

Thai Drivers license

Do I need anything else? Copy of my work permit or original?

Plan to do this Thursday morning as my current 1 yr expires on Friday.

Thanks

I believe you can only apply for a 5 year the day after your 1 year expires.

Ok update on my experience from 1yr to 5 yr this morning.

Docs require - as above including copies of both sides of Thai DL and copy of passport incl landing card and visa pages - Sign the copies.

Arrived at 8am, was 2nd in the non-thai que. About 815 they had us go in and get a number.

Number called a couple mins later - upstairs where lady checks your docs - gives you another card with a number on it.

About 830 - headed for the eye test (colour, depth and reaction) which took 15 mins total for all the people in our group. Told to go sit down after this was finished.

10 mins later lady comes back with our documents/passport and calls us over 1 by 1. Give us a form / and passport to go pay for the license. 655 baht for 5 year. After paying sat down again and waited for the guy to take my photo and produce the license. Another 10 mins. New 5yr license procured in about 1hour. Actually I got more than 5 yrs because my birthday was only a couple months ago so about 5 yrs + 10 months.

Btw, my old 1 yr expired tomorrow - the lady at the entrance mentioned something about being able to renew your license up to 60 days before expiry = no need to wait until it expires.

Overall experience: 9/10. dress nice / speak softly and don't give them a reason to give you a hard time and you can be in and out of there in no time.

Ah, you're talking Pattaya.

BKK open early but they don't start the colour/reaction tests till 10:am

I just did 2 for car and bike.

For car i had uk international permit, but thay not need it i think as they not want copy of it.

So for car i just swaped thay give it to me stright away pretty much.

For bike i had to do eyes reaction test computer test and driving, skipped 2h movie.

Funny thing is i come.with my brothet who got uk car and he wanted for bike. He did not show them car licence so he had to watch 2 h movie and do computer test next day. Driving was same day. So i walked out with 2 licences and he with none, he passed next day.

Well eyes reaction test is easy.

Driving bike, as car i dont know.

Bike is easy theres 9nly 1 bit people fail they got thin path of asphalt and u need drive on it without falling or touching leg to ground. Not so easy as u thing need good balance. So before u trubu practice going in stright line with ur bike...

Computer test is confusing, as theres language problem gramma etc.

I did it clever way. When u wait ur turn go near ur screen in middle of room, stay near farang. While thay do it u read and try learn. At the end of it it says fail or pass, my man failed so it shows u ansswers u choosed and correct one i learn, we click it through and that way i learned like 6 questions... i did 26 correct and 4 wrong still

My bro 23 correct 7 wrong pass just about.

There is online test most questions are same i thing few missing but not sure if u go through it all u will see.

It helps u will learn few most questions.

Theory test eng:

http://apps.dlt.go.th/driving_hp/ELearnning/E-Learning2.swf

Hope it helps.

And tip is show ur car licence if u do bike u will skip boring 2h movie that everyone is sleep on..

Edited by mataleo

Hello I have a few questions.

I have an international driving licence which I've been using since a few years here. Each time I got checked by the police they accepted the driving licence as valid so I wasn't fined.

is there any advantage for me to have a Thai driving licence at all?

If yes: could anyone post a Google Maps link to where it is located in Pattaya? Also, what are the fees, and will I be able to get a Thai driving licence from my international one?

Thanks a lot!

I just did 2 for car and bike. For car i had uk international permit, but thay not need it i think as they not want copy of it. So for car i just swaped thay give it to me stright away pretty much. For bike i had to do eyes reaction test computer test and driving, skipped 2h movie. Funny thing is i come.with my brothet who got uk car and he wanted for bike. He did not show them car licence so he had to watch 2 h movie and do computer test next day. Driving was same day. So i walked out with 2 licences and he with none, he passed next day. Well eyes reaction test is easy. Driving bike, as car i dont know. Bike is easy theres 9nly 1 bit people fail they got thin path of asphalt and u need drive on it without falling or touching leg to ground. Not so easy as u thing need good balance. So before u trubu practice going in stright line with ur bike... Computer test is confusing, as theres language problem gramma etc. I did it clever way. When u wait ur turn go near ur screen in middle of room, stay near farang. While thay do it u read and try learn. At the end of it it says fail or pass, my man failed so it shows u ansswers u choosed and correct one i learn, we click it through and that way i learned like 6 questions... i did 26 correct and 4 wrong still My bro 23 correct 7 wrong pass just about. There is online test most questions are same i thing few missing but not sure if u go through it all u will see. It helps u will learn few most questions. Theory test eng: http://apps.dlt.go.th/driving_hp/ELearnning/E-Learning2.swf Hope it helps. And tip is show ur car licence if u do bike u will skip boring 2h movie that everyone is sleep on..

Wow the questions are really... blink.png there is no word. Here is an example:

tT8af5E.png

The good answer is the first one.

So you should figure out YOURSELF how much meters is a secure distance allowing you to stop in case of emergency.

In Europe, you need to remember precisely the amount of meters, and how to represent them in the real life on the road using the white lanes. Different distances for different speeds. Wow.. it's monkeyland here!!

Here is a big version by the way: http://apps.dlt.go.th/driving_hp/ELearnning/E-Learning2.swf

question when u get tired and answer u take amfetamine pill is best :)

I just did 2 for car and bike. For car i had uk international permit, but thay not need it i think as they not want copy of it. So for car i just swaped thay give it to me stright away pretty much. For bike i had to do eyes reaction test computer test and driving, skipped 2h movie. Funny thing is i come.with my brothet who got uk car and he wanted for bike. He did not show them car licence so he had to watch 2 h movie and do computer test next day. Driving was same day. So i walked out with 2 licences and he with none, he passed next day. Well eyes reaction test is easy. Driving bike, as car i dont know. Bike is easy theres 9nly 1 bit people fail they got thin path of asphalt and u need drive on it without falling or touching leg to ground. Not so easy as u thing need good balance. So before u trubu practice going in stright line with ur bike... Computer test is confusing, as theres language problem gramma etc. I did it clever way. When u wait ur turn go near ur screen in middle of room, stay near farang. While thay do it u read and try learn. At the end of it it says fail or pass, my man failed so it shows u ansswers u choosed and correct one i learn, we click it through and that way i learned like 6 questions... i did 26 correct and 4 wrong still My bro 23 correct 7 wrong pass just about. There is online test most questions are same i thing few missing but not sure if u go through it all u will see. It helps u will learn few most questions. Theory test eng: http://apps.dlt.go.th/driving_hp/ELearnning/E-Learning2.swf Hope it helps. And tip is show ur car licence if u do bike u will skip boring 2h movie that everyone is sleep on..

Wow the questions are really... blink.png there is no word. Here is an example:

tT8af5E.png

The good answer is the first one.

So you should figure out YOURSELF how much meters is a secure distance allowing you to stop in case of emergency.

In Europe, you need to remember precisely the amount of meters, and how to represent them in the real life on the road using the white lanes. Different distances for different speeds. Wow.. it's monkeyland here!!

Here is a big version by the way: http://apps.dlt.go.th/driving_hp/ELearnning/E-Learning2.swf

I no longer have a valid drivers license in the USA, expired years ago but I still have the expired Hawaii license, and also a valid drivers license in the Philippines. What do I need to do to get a drivers license for cars and motorbike in Thailand? I have a retirement visa good for a year. Living in Pattaya. Thanks to all.

I no longer have a valid drivers license in the USA, expired years ago but I still have the expired Hawaii license, and also a valid drivers license in the Philippines. What do I need to do to get a drivers license for cars and motorbike in Thailand? I have a retirement visa good for a year. Living in Pattaya. Thanks to all.

You don’t have to do the tests if you have a valid license from your home country, not sure how they would react to your current license from the Philippines. It wouldn’t hurt to bring that along with copies of it, to see if they accept it. If not you’d have to take the practical and written tests here.

Here’s a list of the required paperwork:

Copy of main Passport page

Copy of visa or visa extension stamp and TM card.

Medical Certificate

Residence certificate, (yellow book or work permit)

One copy or original per license.

You don’t have to do the tests if you have a valid license from your home country, not sure how they would react to your current license from the Philippines. It wouldn’t hurt to bring that along with copies of it, to see if they accept it. If not you’d have to take the practical and written tests here.

Here’s a list of the required paperwork:

Copy of main Passport page

Copy of visa or visa extension stamp and TM card.

Medical Certificate

Residence certificate, (yellow book or work permit)

One copy or original per license.

"Medical Certificate"

do you need to get it by yourself or is it done there? how much does that cost? where to get it? what's being checked exactly?