Requirements For Obtaining And Renewing A 2 Year Driving Licence

Rimmer

I have a US driver's license good for both motorcycle and car.

Can I get a "dual" license like this in Thailand?

Do I have to sit through a two hour class in Thai, that teaches about driving?

What score will I need on the "written" test?

How easy is the test? I have been driving for almost 50 years now, just not sure if everything is rather straightforward, and also not sure of any rules that might be specific to Thailand.

Is there a booklet anywhere in English that I can read?

Will I need to take a driving test?

Is it easy and cheap to get a letter from a doctor here? Will they basically just check that I am standing and breathing or will I need to pay for a bunch of tests?

OP have you bothered to read up at all in this topic and searched in the various other driving licence topics (Motor forum for example)?

"Can I get a "dual" license like this in Thailand?" - no, two separate licences.

"Do I have to sit through a two hour class in Thai, that teaches about driving?" & " Will I need to take a driving test?" - depends on the specific centre but hopefully not with your US licence.

"What score will I need on the "written" test?" & "Is there a booklet anywhere in English that I can read?" - suggest you do a search - many of the new questions were posted some time late last year. If someone else has the reference I am sure they will post it for you.

"Is it easy and cheap to get a letter from a doctor here? Will they basically just check that I am standing and breathing or will I need to pay for a bunch of tests?" - depends where you are but normally 80-100baht for a medical certificate from any clinic - often with no tests at all.

I just renewed my five year in Phen (near udon thani ) no problem took about 10 minuets

Just renewed mine in Mukdahan. So laid back no test no exam and 610 baht fee for 5 yr. ... would not even take a "tip" (must have be camera's somewhere watching them) lol

• 5 weeks later...

Just had my IDP refused to old can't read the date told to get my UK license certified at embassy has anyone done this what time would I need to get there what's the fee thanks

Sent from my Z130 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

PATTAYA: I just renewd my 1 year to a 5 year this is what i did.

1. Make copy of

1 year driverlicense

Passport inkl arrivel slip

Copy Resident papper from migration

Copy of my Visa

Copy of helth papper from a clinic

2.Sign all the papper.

3. Go up to the second floor at the landoffice and gave them all my papper and my passport and my 1 year driverlicense

4. Get a number and whait to make a color test and deep test .

5. Go and pay

6. get a new nr and whait to take a picture and get my new license. .

The only thing importent is that you need to have any kind of NON- VISA you will not get a 5 year on a turist visa if you are on turist visa you will get 1 year again..

I renew 2 driverlicense 1 for car and 1 for motorbike and becouse of that i need to make double copy (2) of everything..

Price 900 somthing bath

It took me around 1.5 houer to be done..

facepalm.gif Aside from the very poor English, spelling, and missing spaces. Pray tell...

How did you ever get a driver's license from the land office??? whistling.gif

Didn't you mean the Department of Land Transport office? cheesy.gif

I'm still trying to figure out what you meant by "Passport inkl". huh.png

Maybe I need a few baths to get the passport ink off... which I make a copy of??? giggle.gif

I don't understand the importance of a 5 year license with a tourist Visa. Isn't that a wee bit of an overstay? biggrin.png

sorry.gif Please don't take offense... I understand... English isn't your native language and you're just trying to provide helpful information.

But I'm still trying to figure out the "Passport inkl" bit. I'm guessing you meant passport title page and Visa page.unsure.png

crazy.gif

1. Make copy of

1 year driverlicense

Copy of my Visa

2.Sign all the papper.

3. Go up to the second floor at the landoffice and gave them all my papper and my passport and my 1 year driverlicense

5. Go and pay

The only thing importent is that you need to have any kind of NON- VISA you will not get a 5 year on a turist visa if you are on turist visa you will get 1 year again..

I renew 2 driverlicense 1 for car and 1 for motorbike and becouse of that i need to make double copy (2) of everything..

Price 900 somthing bath

facepalm.gif Aside from the very poor English, spelling, and missing spaces. Pray tell...

Maybe I need a few baths to get the passport ink off... which I make a copy of??? giggle.gif

I don't understand the importance of a 5 year license with a tourist Visa. Isn't that a wee bit of an overstay? biggrin.png

sorry.gif Please don't take offense... I understand... English isn't your native language and you're just trying to provide helpful information.

But I'm still trying to figure out the "Passport inkl" bit. I'm guessing you meant passport title page and Visa page.unsure.png

crazy.gif

BB, you seem to be a little bit harsh with Netsidas English skills, wink.png except for that his report is correct.

As I understand it “Inkl” was meant as the abbreviation of including “Incl”, so:

“Passport inkl arrivel slip” = “Passport incl arrival slip”, i.e. copies of your passport and your departure card (TM.6).

Hope that helps smile.png

1. Make copy of

1 year driverlicense

Copy of my Visa

2.Sign all the papper.

5. Go and pay

Price 900 somthing bath

crazy.gif

BB, you seem to be a little bit harsh with Netsidas English skills, wink.png except for that his report is correct.

As I understand it “Inkl” was meant as the abbreviation of including “Incl”, so:

“Passport inkl arrivel slip” = “Passport incl arrival slip”, i.e. copies of your passport and your departure card (TM.6).

Hope that helps smile.png

I am intrigued why he would even bother to reply to a post that is over 3 months old in an on-going topic..........blink.png

My GF and I were going to our house, (undergoing a complete rebuild), in Kamphaeng Phet Province and she suggested it might be easier to get my driving license there, rather than in Pattaya. She had obtained a car and motorbike license a month before, on my insistence, despite her argument that Thai people do not need any licenses to drive! So we went to the licensing office and were informed what paperwork was required and told to come back next week?

I needed a proof of residence so we visited the nearest local government office to the house, with GF’s ‘house passport’, her ID and my passport, a sweet lady spend an hour typing a letter in Thai for us - for free! Next I needed the medical form, and we saw GF’s doctor’s receptionist, who quickly completed a medical form and charged me B40, GF was only charged B30 month before.

So the following week went back with proof of residence, medical form, copy of my UK car driving license; and from my passport; photo page, my 1 year Thai Visa page, date of entry stamp (important). My GF had to add a copy if her ID and copy of house passport. An application form in Thai had to be completed and the receptionist was very helpful in assisting my GF with this.

Interestingly they did not want to see my International Driver’s License or my separate UK motorcycle (CBT – basic motorcycle) test certificate.

The only test as such was a quick colour eyesight check. My photograph was taken and I was handed a freshly printed 1 year car and a 1 year motorcycle license, all completed within 1 hour. And it only cost B360 for both licenses.

Whilst at the offices I did walk the practical driving test area and my GF explained what she had to do to pass. It looked pretty easy to me; although as someone mentioned previously, do not use a big bike or big pickup. A bike or car was available for hire there to undertake test.

Very helpful post from Netsidas.

My 1 year thai driving licence (car and motorbike) has already expired in September 2014. Will I be able to get the 5 year one next time I go in?

Also, if I'm renting a place, will the immigration give me proof of address?

Hi

I will be starting this process soon, regarding the Certificate of Residence, all the info suggested that a rental contract in your name is required.

I do not have a rental contract because I own my condo with the chanote in my name. I also have a blue book for the condo but no names have been entered in that.

Is it OK just to show the chanote instead of the rental contract to get the Certificate of Residence?

Many thanks

Hi

I will be starting this process soon, regarding the Certificate of Residence, all the info suggested that a rental contract in your name is required.

I do not have a rental contract because I own my condo with the chanote in my name. I also have a blue book for the condo but no names have been entered in that.

Is it OK just to show the chanote instead of the rental contract to get the Certificate of Residence?

Many thanks

yes

• Like 1

1. Make copy of

1 year driverlicense

Copy of my Visa

2.Sign all the papper.

5. Go and pay

Price 900 somthing bath

crazy.gif

The guy did his best, it's not difficult to understand what he means, the copys you need from your passport are common sense!!!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi

Many thanks

If it's your condo the blue book will have your name in it, but in Thai. That's what I used to get my certificate.

1. Make copy of

1 year driverlicense

Copy of my Visa

2.Sign all the papper.

5. Go and pay

Price 900 somthing bath

I just got 2 years licences for car and bike with a 30 day visa exempt. Only problem I had was Chonburi wanted my UK licence copy certified by the British embassy so I got them in Chiang Mai no problem without the certified copy. These were my first Thai licences.

Took me 0.15secs to figure out he meant passport with the TM.6 slip. You might want to work on your comprehension and logic skills instead of being a budding grammar nazi.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I will be applying for my 1st 1 year Thai driving license within the next week at Pattaya.

My checklist includes the following . . . .

1) Cert of residence (Im on TR visa)

2) Copies of passport, page with photo, entry stamp page and departure page?

3) medical certificate

4) 2 x photos

5) I have both parts of my UK driving license (will I be in a better position if I show my UK license or not?)

6) funds to pay for test & license

Do I require anything else?

Yes a packed lunch because you will be waiting and your own motorcycle if u go for the motorcycle test. Good luck And they will be busy as they have been closed for a week.

Haha looks like another sweat dripping day then? A week? I will certainly leave it a few days then

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hi. I will be applying for my 1st 1 year Thai driving license within the next week at Pattaya.

3) medical certificate

4) 2 x photos

5) I have both parts of my UK driving license (will I be in a better position if I show my UK license or not?)

No, you do not need anything else. Your valid UK license will exempt you from having to take the written and driving tests.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Update. Just got my replacement license. They wanted a copy of the police report, copy of passport pages, and actual passport. Took about 30 min.

What is a police report and where do you get it?

3) medical certificate

4) 2 x photos

I had to show my international license + my UK license , a mate didn't have an international so had to get a letter from the embassy to show his UK license was valid