Retirement Visa

Tourist visas only allow stay of 60 days in Thailand without extending (30 days) and then you are required to exit country and are likely to be limited in number (you are not expected to remain a tourist the rest of your life).

Retirement visa (proof of supporting funds required) allows you to remain in Thailand (time unlimited) with only an extension each year (done inside Thailand) and 90 day reporting of your address.

I think we could include the non-imm"O" (multiple entries) in this comparison. It is valid one year, or even plus 89 days if you do it right, and has most of the benefits of the retirement visa. Instead of reporting your address you have to leave Thailand every 90 days, which can be fun, and you get the visa in your home country. Main advantage: no money in a Thai bank needed. So for someone like me who doesn't want to give up the farangland residence, a good solution.

Should there be a problem this visa at the end of a term? Does anyone know?

I think we could include the non-imm"O" (multiple entries) in this comparison.

Although this may be possible now; it is not likely to be for a lifetime and you will be breaking an agreement each time if you are receiving the visa on the basis that you will transfer money into a Thai bank account and fail to do so. If he can obtain the multi entry visa on the basis of marriage or business it would be fine but those required trips can get old after a few years.

Thanks all. I was thinking in terms of car ownership/registration/ property ownership, mobile phone number ownership, driving lic., free bus passes, OAP passes to the cinema etc. You know, all the extra bibs 'n' bobs that add up to making living in Thailand a little more comfortable and easier, i.e. the full sales pitch. :o

cm boy

:o car ownership/registration/ property ownership, mobile phone number ownership, driving lic., free bus passes, OAP passes to the cinema etc. You know, all the extra bibs 'n' bobs!!!

Who are you kidding?? What do you think this is, a benevolent society.

You can buy a car if you have a work permit. You will never be allowed to own property more than a flat in a condominium for some over inflated price. Mobile phone needs a work permit, driving licence also, free bus passes OAP passes are non existent here. Get real Man and stay where you are if you want to live off the government!!

Tut, tut Suzy, the bus passes and cinema passes was a little tongue in cheek, as this is what is granted in UK to OAPs. I didn't expect for one moment it was available here. But thanks anyway for the advice. More than I "get real" maybe you should lighten up. :o

BTW Work Permits are not a pre requisite for a Thai driving license. And I am living in Thailand!

Try not to let your finger(s) move faster than your brain.

Ta Ta!

cm boy

Suzy & CM Boy

Are you both really in Thailand?

I regularly get Old Age Discount in the Major Cineplex Theatres.

You do NOT need Work Permit for Driving Licence.

I have a Thai DL and my Retirement Visa forbids that I work.

You do NOT need Work Permit

for a PrePaid Mobile Phone - just some cash.

Please try to give everybody reading - Correct Information

Thanks

Roger

Roger,

Read my post again, the only info I gave was that a work permit wasn't needed for a driving lic. As for Suzy, it must be that time of the month! Please don't be so hard on we humble newbies. We are trying our best.

But must say we have a long way to go to catch up to oldtimers like yourself....OA discount at the cinema, now yer talking! What do you need to show to get your cinema pass? And how much discount do they give? At 90 Baht a show it can't be that much. 10%? A whole 9 Baht to buy your favourite candies. The hits just keep on coming!

cm boy

PS I visited CM Imm. as promised, the info is posted. Hope it helps.

OK - OK cm boy - keep your knickers on ...

Sorry if I upset you - I was in my Grumpy mode when I wrote that !

Senior Citizen Tickets cost Bht 80 instead of Bht 100

This concession is prominently displayed.

I have only ever shown my Face

- apparently it looks old enough to qualify.

Most times I get given the cheaper ticket without even asking!

Sometimes I remind and they just look up at me - & thats enough

But I agree its no big deal !

Although I do go quite often ...

That very ancient Siam saying comes to mind ...

"When you look after the Satang - the Baht look after themselves"

Roger

Dear Rodger:

Without being too effusive, your information has been such a help to me in these many pages that I have a humble request.

Have you explored the residence permit for those retirees who have done the annual renewal more than three times. You seem to have been here long enough to qualify. Did you find it too difficult? Your thoughts on the effacacy of the attempt?

Some of the travel pages refer to a requirement to be able to speak Thai. I qualify for a non-quota residence permitt next year and loathe to start studying Thai. The financial requirements are clear as are the high permit fees. Help! Many thanks for your valuable contribution to these pages.

Have you explored the residence permit for those retirees who have done the annual renewal more than three times.

Hi mrdmnp,

Sorry - the answer is NO !

I have yet to consider Residence an advantage.

Apart from the high initial fee

I have no desire to pay ongoing Income Tax.

(Which I believe a Resident would be liable for)

Roger