Which Shade Tree For My Yard?

I would like to plant some trees for my back yard that will eventually provide a nice shady area. I'd prefer it not drop to much foliage into the yard and become a big nuisance cleaning up after it. I'm really not knowledgeable about trees or plants but I can google your suggestions. What trees do you recommend and prefer?

http://www.panmai.com/PvTree/tr_16.shtml

post-35075-0-04802000-1366295314_thumb.j

The Bengal Almond, Indian Almond, Sea Almond tree grows about one meter per year and has large leaves that make a good shady canopy.

These trees grow just about anywhere but mostly seem to be on the coast. Just find a tree and pick up the seeds lying round it. The seeds look a bit like almonds but according to the wife not edible, plant a handful in some dirt and choose the strongest to plant in your yard.

By trimming the bottom branches as they grow you can create a good canopy of leaves. Weve got a couple in our garden that I planted a couple of years ago and they are giving great shade.

biggrin.png

A flame tree, Delonix Regia. Needs a lot of space because the treetop grows really quick really wide. The one on the pic doesn't have many flowers, for much of the year they're all red or yellow. The leaves and blossoms come off, but are small and the wind scatters them in no time.

Delonix_regia_07_26_09_011.jpg

• Like 1

A lot depends on how big your back yard is. We have about 30 different types of trees on our land......my favorite is the Neem tree (sadao). It grows fast......you can eat the young leaves and flower buds with lahb......and the leaves come down once per year and regrow within a few weeks.

A much slower growing but still very beautiful tree is the madan tree. It has very sour fruit. Ours is about 15 years old and has a very large heavily shaded canopy.

In tropical north Queensland (Australia) almost every older house seems to have a mango tree growing.

Not only do they give excellent shade, but the fruit is rather nice too. Just choose the variety!

I've no idea how long you'd have to wait to either enjoy the shade or the fruit, but as you say, Google or Wiki will give you an answer.

In tropical north Queensland (Australia) almost every older house seems to have a mango tree growing.

Not only do they give excellent shade, but the fruit is rather nice too. Just choose the variety!

I've no idea how long you'd have to wait to either enjoy the shade or the fruit, but as you say, Google or Wiki will give you an answer.

That's true. Ever green, although losing leaves. But enjoy it to rake the leaves. It's good for your health, too.

We have more than 70 trees in 7 rows and never give them any insecticides. It's a home for many birds, butterflies, sqirerrels, geckos and since a few months for (wild?) chicken, too. Before the trees bild their fruits they spread a wonderful natural "perfume".

On this photo, made during the smoky season, you see only a part of the green trees. Great shadow, the dogs prefer to have a lie down there in the hot season. It's so cool. The trees hide away our house. A shot from our neighbour's land.

cdirv8oqnyw52ksk7.jpg

cdirxx7itr60bqaon.jpg