File Too Large Question

giddyup

I'm trying to transfer a movie file (Watchmen 1080) of 4.16 GB onto a flash drive that has available space of more than 7 GB but I keep getting a message that the file is too large for the destination. Why?

Edited by giddyup

If the flash drive is formatted fat32 think largest file size supported is 4GB. For larger files needs to be formatted NTFS.

Bear with me because I'm not very computer savvy, but I have transferred plenty of movies that are larger than 4GB onto a flash drive without any problems. It's a 16GB flash drive.

@giddyup Maybe your flashdrive is already formattedf in NTFS...

The movie file is for VLC video player, but again, I have transferred bigger than 4GB movies in that format before without any problems. I'm transferring the file to a RW-DVD disc now and will watch the movie via the DVD player.

If the flash drive is formatted fat32 think largest file size supported is 4GB. For larger files needs to be formatted NTFS.

This is correct for a single file size limit, and also by default flash drives are formatted as FAT32. Maybe other drives had been changed, or this drive has recenlty been reformated but you cannot get a single file larger tha 4GB ona flash drive formatted as FAT32.

The movie file is for VLC video player, but again, I have transferred bigger than 4GB movies in that format before without any problems. I'm transferring the file to a RW-DVD disc now and will watch the movie via the DVD player.

Sounds like you are using the flash drive with a DVD player? right? NTFS formatted drives won't work with DVD players. Only FAT 32 will work. If you have previously used the flash drive to play movies in the DVD player... it must be formatted in FAT 32. In that case you can't copy your 4.16GB movie.

In the future ... you could split the movie into two parts with a video editor.

• Like 1

If it is a 4Gb film, probably quite popular. Why not just download again from usual sources as 700Mb or 1.3Gb file.

You may lose a little high-def but after a few drinkies who cares. AA

• Like 1

It is my understanding that all flash drive, memory sticks, are formatted FAT32. They are not meant for use in NTFS. It can be done but originally there was some copyright issues about this.

Sounds like you are using the flash drive with a DVD player? right? NTFS formatted drives won't work with DVD players. Only FAT 32 will work. If you have previously used the flash drive to play movies in the DVD player... it must be formatted in FAT 32. In that case you can't copy your 4.16GB movie.

In the future ... you could split the movie into two parts with a video editor.

Nope, using flash drive with a media player, but transferred it onto a RW-DVD with no problems, so will watch it on my DVD player.

A media layer as in software on your PC? You wanted to play the movie on your PC? If so ... there are other solutions.

No, a media player that plugs into my TV. Just a cheap Chinese one ($35) I picked up from Ebay, but works well.

post-130068-0-71369600-1366436934_thumb.

Edited by giddyup

Not exactly.

USB Flash Drives come formatted to FAT32. and will not accept files over 4Gb.

To use a larger file you need to reformat the Flash Drive to NTFS. Connecting the Flash Drive to the computer and right clicking on it will only let you format to FAT, the NTFS option is not available.

To get the NTFS format option you have to plug in the Flash Drive and go to "Device Manager" and follow the pictures in the link to "Optimize for performance".

THEN when you right click on the Flash Drive you will have the option to format NTFS.

Important to note with NTFS you should always use the "safely remove hardware" procedure to prevent data loss. DO NOT just pull out the Flash Drive when done.

"To remove a device safely without data loss use a "safely remove hardware" procedure or Eject function from Windows Explorer"

thumbsup.gif

^ That's all well and good, but NTFS formatted flash drives won't work in DVD or Media players.

Nonsense!

Perhaps you've seen specific combinations of device(s) that won't work, but it's by no means a rule...

I use NTFS formatted flash and hard drives in my media players (Mede8er & Mvix), or connected to my dvd players (Sony & Philips), or connected to my tv (Samsung) all the time.

I'd stake my reputation that despite what he thinks, the OP has never copied a file > 4,294,967,295 bytes onto a FAT32 formatted drive.

I didn't say it was 'a rule'. Most DVD and Media players only work with FAT32. Simple as that. There are exceptions though.

I've used three different media players over the past few years - Western Digital and Asus, all worked fine with USB flash drive and USB HDD formatted for NTFS.

Only problem was a friend who had an older DVD player which would not play the NTFS flash drive I lent him.

He now has a new Sony TV and the USB Flash drive works beautifully.

NTFS was necessary as some programmes were over 4GB in size.

Think that all the more recent (decent) ones, i.e. in the last three or four years, accept NTFS - even the cheap Chinese ones.

I didn't say it was 'a rule'. Most DVD and Media players only work with FAT32. Simple as that. There are exceptions though.

You sort of did, you were quite emphatic in more than one post. Only this post you say "there are exceptions".

I'd be prepared to bet on the opposite to your statement above - that these days, devices that don't support NTFS are the exception.