Foreign Traffic Police Volunteers?

Esset

Pathetic losers is the words that come to my mind. Why doesn't he go back to be a policeman in Germany if that is what he likes.. I guess he failed the exams whistling.gif

+1

From just this little information you can guess that the Foreign Police Assistant failed 'the' exams ??... We are clearly in the presence of a deductive genius!

Pathetic looser ??? What really pushes you to dislike someone so much? This is someone who is using up their spare time for a good cause. He's not propping up a bar somewhere, not chasing little kids, he's doing something active which brings benefit to the community (arguable I admit).

Why are Foreign Police Volunteers despised so much? Is this a 'I'm more Thai than you' basis of argument? Some don't like it that others have been accepted more deeply into and by the the community in which they live?

The only opinion I have on these guys is rather them than me, but good on them for being willing to give their time freely.

Maybe they don't accept tea money?

yes indeed ! Robert "Sifu" McInnes comes to mind.

I wonder if richard_smith237 admired him?

He was clearly a cock... as I'm sure are a number of others. However, many bring much needed assistance.

I'm merely defending the fact that some who give up their spare time do not deserve the negative opinions bestowed upon them by others who have only witnessed actions of a minority.

In very much the same manner - I have no wish to be tarred with the same brush as many opinionated and negative foreigners who live in Thailand.

Many foreigners here are of lower social class and have been trained to hate the police. Now the Thai police is of course corrupt so its even easier to look down on those and for many foreigners helping the police is bad.

They like to drink and drive not have proper papers and such so they despise all police foreign helpers even more so.

I have no problems with these guys if your in the wrong your in the wrong.

• Like 1

yes indeed ! Robert "Sifu" McInnes comes to mind.

I wonder if richard_smith237 admired him?

He was clearly a cock... as I'm sure are a number of others. However, many bring much needed assistance.

I'm merely defending the fact that some who give up their spare time do not deserve the negative opinions bestowed upon them by others who have only witnessed actions of a minority.

In very much the same manner - I have no wish to be tarred with the same brush as many opinionated and negative foreigners who live in Thailand.

I can see you have a balanced and rational view Richard.

When I first read the OP, my initial thought was 'tosser'. That's because in my personal experiences of meeting police volunteers (in both the UK and here), they have turned out to be in it for all the wrong reasons. I know there are some genuinely good and highly professional people out there who are extremely good at what they do (but I am only referring to stories I have read in the UK press) when working alongside the police but I have to say that my observations of the ones in Pattaya have not been good; one evening (when I could be bothered to observe them for a while) in walking street all the volunteer officers I saw patrolling the street that night were 'posing' and 'strutting' and not one of them was properly surveying what was going on around them.

My ex-wife worked for a while as a 'Special Constable' in the UK some years ago and she did a very good job. Her motivation was to support her community but I know that she also did it to prove to herself that she was capable of doing a highly responsible and difficult job (the regular police excluded her on health grounds).

So, my judgements I believe are valid so far, but I'm willing to keep an open mind if ever I have to converse with one of them.

To anyone reading this who does work for the police as a volunteer for all the right reasons, good on yer thumbsup.gif (sincerely)

Edited by BoonToong
  • Like 1

These guys are only assisting the police. While I'm sure it puts some peoples noses out of joint these Foreign Volunteer Police may prove very useful for some especially with advice and translation.

These are people who have assimilated and become part of society. Some may be on a power trip, but I don't think a minority should tarnish the efforts made by the majority.

I often wonder why some fold have such negative opinions of these guys... The comments often appear to be a little sour, perhaps jealousy that someone else has been granted a little power when volunteering in association with the law. Perhaps some foreigners don't appreciate it that other foreigners have been given the authority to carry out such searches in the company of Thai Police.

I think its time for most people to accept that the Foreign Volunteer Police are giving up much of their spare time to help us.

just as long as it doesn't get like UK here in Thailand…………………………..

the British police now have unpaid volunteer detectives to join the homicide squad !

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1253456/Now-police-rely-public-solve-murders--recruiting-dozens-volunteers-lend-hand-homicide-cases.html

A proposal by one English county force does not constitute "British Police".

Special Constables have the same powers, uniform and equipment as the regular constables in the same force. (Note: not all forces use the same equipment). Full background checks are carried out, the same Police Initial Recruitment Test has to be passed, followed by interviews and training/seclection. They provide a very valuable resource to police forces.

I don't know where your previous anecdote about the local village "special' comes from but find it hard to understand why he didn't have the standard uniform, equipment and warrant card that he would have been issued with.

I'm not sure what vetting or training the Foreign Police Volunteers undergo in Thailand. I guess speaking Thai is one requirement? But, they are willing to give up their time to try and help other foreigners which is commendable. It's always unfortunate if you get one whose too officious or in it for the power though.

• Like 1