Bangkok To Singapore By Train.

lujanit

Anyone undertaken this trip recently? I found a thread about 2 years old that had some useful info but that may be out of date.

What trains do I need to book, would prefer first class sleeper? If I have it right and I probably don't, I get one train from BKK to Hat Yai, another from Hat Yai to KL and a third from KL to Singapore. What are the connections between trains like?

Any tips appreciated. Thanks

• Like 2

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Malasian rail have an excellent website and you can sfely book the Hatyai Singapore parts there.

DO not buy your return ticket in Singapore.

Because of a historic currency agreement rail fares are charged the same in Malasian Ringats and singapore dollars if you buy in Malasia a trip costs say 100 Ringat. The same ticket bought in Singapore costs 100 Singapore Dollars.

• Like 1

This is a travelers trip. First did it in the early 80's and again some years ago the other way around and took about 5 days to do it as I wanted to stop off. Personally I prefer 2nd class fan as I can lean out the window and buy goodies from the station vendors smile.png . I like my luxuries but I sometimes like to travel like this, reminds me of my early days in SE Asia when flying was far less common and (relatively) much more expensive.

• Like 1

2nd cl fan sleepers in Thailand are becoming as rare as hens teeth

I love the SRT but the trains are falling apart by the day. Train to Trang two weeks ago, 2hrs late typical.

Trains are running very, very late these years

Id take the train to Butterworth, then switch to bus. As I recall catching the train was inconvenient, required changing in KL and was very slow (painfully).

What might have been adventure 30yrs ago, now just a bore.

2nd cl fan sleepers in Thailand are becoming as rare as hens teeth

I love the SRT but the trains are falling apart by the day. Train to Trang two weeks ago, 2hrs late typical.

Trains are running very, very late these years

Id take the train to Butterworth, then switch to bus. As I recall catching the train was inconvenient, required changing in KL and was very slow (painfully).

What might have been adventure 30yrs ago, now just a bore.

You have a point. They are sorely in need of an update, trouble is this being Thailand there is more debate about a high speed network than an efficient update with new trains and carriages.

This is a great ride. Bangkok to Butterworth, you change trains there. I took a few days in between legs, Penang is a great stopover destination. I strongly suggest, though, going first-class sleeper for the Butterworth-Singapore leg. Those compartments are pretty cool, but the second-class sleeper is much funkier than the corresponding one on the Thai side. Mix and match.

• Like 1

Why would anyone except a masochist or perhaps a sadomasochist with way too much time on his hands want to do that? Oh wait, this is Thailand.

Because I:

1. have the time

2. would like to experience the countryside at a leisurely pace

3. plan a couple of days in Penang to take in the placee

4. quite like KL, especially the local food and

5. am fond of trains

To all the other people who have given meaningful advice I thank-you. Now I can plan this trip much better than I could have on my own.

Not sure the OP was thinking about spending the 60,000 THB that it costs to take the E&O tongue.png . Aside from which the schedule at about once a month might not be convenient. He might not even have a dinner jacket blink.png

Did it in the other direction.

If you have time it's a nice trip, though I enjoyed Thailand most of all by a huge margin.

I wouldn't book or plan anything too much. Train times are a approximate at best and there are too many nice spots along the way to possibly plan for or know in advance.

Pick a quiet time, get on a train until you're bored/tired then get off and find a hotel for the night. Repeat until you get to Singapore.

Why would anyone except a masochist or perhaps a sadomasochist with way too much time on his hands want to do that? Oh wait, this is Thailand.

The same reason my wife and I plan on travelling from London to Vladivostok by train, and then through Japan - Vietnam, and

back to Thailand. Train travel is a wonderful way to see a country - a continent. All you need is money, time and a sense of adventure.

• Like 2

If you do this run take the 37 to Sungai Kolok which is next to the Malaysia border. Cross the border bridge on foot and take a taxi to Kota Bahru and from there the jungle line to Gemas and change to the train to Singapore. The scenery from Hat Yai south to Sungei is in my opinion the best on that trip and the jungle line from Kota Bahru is more interesting that than the main line down the West coast, although much of the jungle has now sadly been cut away.

Note that the Singapore train stops at Woodlands now as there is no longer a railway line down to Tanjong Pagar through Singapore. Its a nice trip if you have the time. The first class compartment on the Bangkok to Sungei train sleeps two, has a lockable door for more safety and privacy and the toilet has a proper sit down toilet that is cleaned regularly and even a cold water shower.

If you do this run take the 37 to Sungai Kolok which is next to the Malaysia border. Cross the border bridge on foot and take a taxi to Kota Bahru and from there the jungle line to Gemas and change to the train to Singapore. The scenery from Hat Yai south to Sungei is in my opinion the best on that trip and the jungle line from Kota Bahru is more interesting that than the main line down the West coast, although much of the jungle has now sadly been cut away.

Note that the Singapore train stops at Woodlands now as there is no longer a railway line down to Tanjong Pagar through Singapore. Its a nice trip if you have the time. The first class compartment on the Bangkok to Sungei train sleeps two, has a lockable door for more safety and privacy and the toilet has a proper sit down toilet that is cleaned regularly and even a cold water shower.

If you do remember the train so there goes through the troublesome provinces. While the risk is low it may invalidate your travel insurance as most countries have a DO NOT TRAVEL warning.

I can only comment that the SIN to KL train was a disaster.

I'm not enthusiastic about cockroaches at the best of times, and there were plenty wandering around the seats on this trip.

I foolishly asked where the canteen was, having been spoiled by Indonesian Railways. The staff person concerned pointed vaguely towards the front of the train, so I set off, until I got to the engine. Definitely no canteen on this train.

We rattled along until we were about an hour out of KL, when the train came to a stop, and it was announced that due to some maintenance work, this was as far as the train as going tonight.

After waiting for a further announcement for about 1 hour, a few of us headed across to a nearby night market and cleaned out their supply of fried rice and chicken.

Some time later, a small convoy of buses arrived, but most of the passengers had summoned family to collect them, so there were not many of us. We got to KL around midnight, some hours late.

I remember crossing at Sungai Kolok in the past but long way back now. We didn't change, filtered out the train, stamped passport and all back on again.

That's odd, as Sungai Kolok isnt a station, its a terminal. Its the end of the line. There is no railway track across the border to Malaysia from there. You have to pick up a completely different line in Malaysia several kilometers away.

• Like 1

I remember crossing at Sungai Kolok in the past but long way back now. We didn't change, filtered out the train, stamped passport and all back on again.

That's odd, as Sungai Kolok isnt a station, its a terminal. Its the end of the line. There is no railway track across the border to Malaysia from there. You have to pick up a completely different line in Malaysia several kilometers away.

SG was always a wild west town. Made Hatyai look like the vatican.

Yep, motorcycle taxi job I recall.

<Deleted post comments edited out>

As opposed to those that plant their butt on a sidewalk barstool in the morning and that's where you see them into the afternoon, the evening, and late into the night, taking a break only to pee and then home to sleep a few hours before planting themselves in the exact same 2 square meters the next morning?

I'd love to take a train trip like that if time allowed. Sadly, work always seems to get in the way.

Exactly. Really don't know why so many on ThaiVisa even came here in the first place or now bother to stay in Thailand! Whinge about everybody and everything, and as you say probably while bar-stooling their lives away!! Each to their own and all the best with it if it as long as its not to anyone else's detriment. Sadly, I can't be of help myself with this journey though I too would like to give it a go sometime...

• Like 1