Britain's Ambassador Mark Kent Sees Great Potential In The Proposed Thai-European Free Trade Area

webfact

CONVERGENT NEWSROOM
Opportunities across continents

Nophakhun Limsamarnphun
The Nation

30204337-01_big.jpg
British Ambassador HE Mark Kent with Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Britain's ambassador to Thailand, HE Mark Kent, sees great potential in the proposed Thai-European Free Trade Area

BANGKOK: -- Mark Kent, the UK's ambassador to Thailand, is a strong advocate of the ongoing Thai-European Union Free Trade Area (TEUFTA) negotiations. The envoy suggests that consumers, in the end, will benefit from freer trade in goods and services, as well as from increased flow of investment.

"Regarding the issue of pharmaceutical patents [which Thailand's non-government organisations have cited as a negative point in the FTA effort, since the country's low-income earners will suffer due to higher prices of drugs], I think there will be a fair conclusion. Chicken and fruit exports from Thailand are the other issues.

"We should work together to promote trade and investment between Thailand and the EU. It's understandable that Thailand's trade with other Asean countries and China has risen rapidly in the past years. China is now a global superpower while Thailand itself is the second-largest economy in Asean.

'Regarding the euro-zone crisis, the economic situation is clearly not good at this juncture, but the region remains a very big market and we hope to get past this crisis. However, the timeline is not clear at this stage.

"In the UK [which is a member of the European Union but not a member of the single currency system], our economic growth rate is now very low - just 0.1-0.2 per cent - so we have to boost our exports. Thailand is one of our key export markets in Asean, with shipments up 38 per cent last year as the Thai economy is relatively strong, growing at an annual rate of 5-6 per cent.

"UK and European firms have to boost their trade and investment ties with China, Thailand and other Asean countries. Thai firms also have invested more in the UK, such as SSI in the steel industry, and CP Group in food processing.

"Even though the UK is not in the euro zone, we're affected by the crisis in euro-zone countries, especially France and Germany, Belgium and Spain, which are among our major trading partners. They have faced economic hardship, so they buy fewer products. As a result, we have to boost exports to other markets, especially those in Asia, namely China, Japan and Korea.

"Last year, Thailand was the UK's 28th biggest trading partner. In Asean, Thailand is the UK's second biggest trading partner after Singapore.

"More specifically on the euro-zone crisis, I think the situation is now very fluid. However, it's now clear that to have a functioning monetary and economic union, they need to have deeper and deeper integration of institutions and closer coordination of policies. We'll see more and more of this in the coming years. The UK is supporting such progress.

"The UK did not join the single currency system from the beginning for several reasons including our different economic cycle, our vision for Europe and the importance we attach to the pound sterling as a monetary instrument, which we did not want to cede control of.

"Our vision of Europe is not one Europe of one size, but one that reflects the diversity of Europe. You may have countries taking a stronger role in defence, or wanting to be in the euro zone or wanting to use the single visa system."

In other words, it's not a one-size-fits-all system for member countries, according to the UK envoy.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-20

Thailand is the UK's 28 th 'biggest' trading' partner....in other words...irrelevant.

Thailand is the UK's second biggest trading partner in Asean region.

Tells you alot about how little the UK could care about trading in this region.

Loads of European luxury cars here but very few Jags. I wonder why?

• Like 2

Interesting given the British will have the opportunity of opting out of the EEC if the conservatives ever get into power again. How UK could be an ambassidor for the EEC is beyond me. Ah well, perhaps they thought making a token guesture to Thailand would give them a few brownie points.

All this week i've been doing my shopping ready to go back to the UK to live and consumer prices on items over here in Thailand are about the same back home even at 1 British Pound Sterling equals 43.60 Thai Baht, I know this Thailand isn't the same like it use to be ?

free trade agreements sounds always good.

it is really for the consumer who have now the free choice to buy the products the like wherever it may come from and without having some import tax added and other regulation that restrict the free market and competition.

• Like 2

Thailand is the UK's 28 th 'biggest' trading' partner....in other words...irrelevant.

Every country is relevant. It's very short-sighted to ignore trade with smaller countries. All those small amounts of trade add up. Just trade with a few big countries, and you'll be in deep trouble when their economies falter. I've seen people make the same mistakes on a personal level. They can't be bothered with the small, but easier money, so they just go after the bog money. This is usually a job. Once that is over they are the first to complain. Back to Economics 101 for you.

• Like 2

Interesting given the British will have the opportunity of opting out of the EEC if the conservatives ever get into power again. How UK could be an ambassidor for the EEC is beyond me. Ah well, perhaps they thought making a token guesture to Thailand would give them a few brownie points.

It's now the EU! The present British Government (already Conservative) wants to change the EU, not pull out of it. However, withdrawal and recreating trade deals with the Commonwealth may be a good idea.

• Like 1

It's always amusing to see "European Union" and "UK and Europe", "UK and European firms".

Regarding "Our vision of Europe" I'm reminded of Sir Humphrey saying:

The Foreign Office is pro-Europe because it is really anti-Europe. In fact the Civil Service was united in its desire to make sure the Common Market didn't work. That's why we went into it."

This sounded like a riddle to me. I asked him to explain further. And basically, his argument was as follows: Britain has had the same foreign policy objective for at least the last five hundred years to create a disunited Europe. In that cause we have fought with the Dutch against the Spanish, with the Germans against the French, with the French and Italians against the Germans, and with the French against the Italians and Germans. [The Dutch rebellion against Philip II of Spain, the Napoleonic Wars, the First World War, and the Second World War Ed.]

In other words, divide and rule. And the Foreign Office can see no reason to change when it has worked so well until now.

The Complete Yes Minister, Copyright © Jonathan Lynn and Antony Jay

As it is about the Thai-European Free Trade Area it is up to the UK if don't wanna be a part of it.

I like Europe and the European Union its a good project, idea.

All this week i've been doing my shopping ready to go back to the UK to live and consumer prices on items over here in Thailand are about the same back home even at 1 British Pound Sterling equals 43.60 Thai Baht, I know this Thailand isn't the same like it use to be ?

the answer is in the article.

"Thai firms also have invested more in the UK, such as SSI in the steel industry, and CP Group in food processing."

take your Thai Baht and invest in the UK or in the European Union. good time now to do so.

Or if you a tourist and not businessman. holiday in Europe is very cheap now. exchange rate very good. in two month should be also good weather, not so cold.

Just like Britain, or in my case The Netherlands are indeed not as they used to be.

The world changes, so does Britain so does Thailand, so does Holland.

That said, if I browse the website pricelists of Dutch supermarket chains, or those in Britain, butchers and other shops, prices of most things are lower in Thailand.

No way, on my pension, which is not too bad, could I live in Holland in the same style I live in Thailand.

When I look at the prices of petrol, diesel and other car costs, local rates and other costs of living, whatever, they are higher in England and Holland

Better said, for better or for worse, I must remain here.

Gladly!

Edited by hansnl
  • Like 1

Id like to know if a "Free Trade Agreement" between the EU/UK/Thailand is implemented, and Thais as they can now will be able to buy land in EU/UK, then will foreigners then be able to buy land in Thailand? Has anyone ever tried to get a response from Ambassadors office as to why he has never brought this up in meetings? Has there ever been some kind of organised sending of loads of foreigners here bombarding Ambassadors office with emails?

Your HE Mark Kent, since when has the UK ever worried about consumers? A look into our own economy and leadership shows that the UK is only involved in a policy of robbing the poor to feed the rich! We can not implement equality at home so, I'm quite sure we really don't care about Asia!

The UK has strong consumer laws and lots of competition that results in consumers getting lower prices. The UK does not rob the poor. Poor UK people are mostly poor because they're too lazy to do something about their lives. I've made lots of positive suggestions to poor people I know in the UK, but the fact is that they just can't be bothered to make any effort at all. They expect everything for free.

So please explain which poor people you think have been robbed. You are talking complete <deleted>.

wow! did you have to get up early to get the best view at Thatchers funeral ? !,... people like you that label all poor people the same are the people we could all do without , "im alright jack" , and "i am considerably more clever than you" co's " i have the money to prove it " , ..........i will tell you what poor people have been robbed ,.. the ones paying the price for a screwed banking industry , THE POOR ! do you think the knock on' affect of austerity measures hurts the rich ?? when amazon,EDF, jimmy carr and anyone else rich enough to avoid paying what they should to sustain a healthy social system for those less fortunate than themselves , do you think it hurts other rich people or the poor ? , the fact that there are 1m jobs for 3m unemployed is also the fault of the poor right ?and they should create jobs for themselves too, why are they so lazy ?cos they have the power to control the economy too right ?, lets all blame the poor , the very people who fought to get every freedom you now have privilege of , not the oppressive rich who would still be paying wages that also needed kids to work to provide enough food ,..............i would rather be poor than a selfish ignoramus . I bet you've never even picked up a shovel and think hard work is sitting on your fat arse all day at a PC and that everyone should have rich parents that afford them a good education , which unfortunately has been wasted on you .

• Like 2

Indian Jags, and Indian Minis soon , sadly neither are british owned companues

Id like to know if a "Free Trade Agreement" between the EU/UK/Thailand is implemented, and Thais as they can now will be able to buy land in EU/UK, then will foreigners then be able to buy land in Thailand? Has anyone ever tried to get a response from Ambassadors office as to why he has never brought this up in meetings? Has there ever been some kind of organised sending of loads of foreigners here bombarding Ambassadors office with emails?

never tried

Every country is relevant. It's very short-sighted to ignore trade with smaller countries. All those small amounts of trade add up. Just trade with a few big countries, and you'll be in deep trouble when their economies falter. I've seen people make the same mistakes on a personal level. They can't be bothered with the small, but easier money, so they just go after the bog money. This is usually a job. Once that is over they are the first to complain. Back to Economics 101 for you.

I could not agree more. Having grown up in NZ I remember when the UK joined the European Free Trade area they turned their back on their older Commonwealth trading partners & raised tariffs on Australaisan primary industries.

They could well rue these historical actions if they leave the EU! Saves them right.

Your HE Mark Kent, since when has the UK ever worried about consumers? A look into our own economy and leadership shows that the UK is only involved in a policy of robbing the poor to feed the rich! We can not implement equality at home so, I'm quite sure we really don't care about Asia!

The UK has strong consumer laws and lots of competition that results in consumers getting lower prices. The UK does not rob the poor. Poor UK people are mostly poor because they're too lazy to do something about their lives. I've made lots of positive suggestions to poor people I know in the UK, but the fact is that they just can't be bothered to make any effort at all. They expect everything for free.

So please explain which poor people you think have been robbed. You are talking complete <deleted>.

It appears that you (to use an expression you seem to like)do not understand the difference between brains and <deleted>. The ordinary working class were robbed having to bail out shareholders (rich) of banks. The ordinary working class are robbed of decent salaries by large companies (rich). The ordinary working class are robbed by having to pay high taxation, when the rich and large companies almost legally avoid paying tax altogether - you want me to go on or are your Boll....s itching now? Edited by BrianCR
  • Like 1

It's always amusing to see "European Union" and "UK and Europe", "UK and European firms".

Regarding "Our vision of Europe" I'm reminded of Sir Humphrey saying:

The Foreign Office is pro-Europe because it is really anti-Europe. In fact the Civil Service was united in its desire to make sure the Common Market didn't work. That's why we went into it."

This sounded like a riddle to me. I asked him to explain further. And basically, his argument was as follows: Britain has had the same foreign policy objective for at least the last five hundred years to create a disunited Europe. In that cause we have fought with the Dutch against the Spanish, with the Germans against the French, with the French and Italians against the Germans, and with the French against the Italians and Germans. [The Dutch rebellion against Philip II of Spain, the Napoleonic Wars, the First World War, and the Second World War Ed.]

In other words, divide and rule. And the Foreign Office can see no reason to change when it has worked so well until now.

The Complete Yes Minister, Copyright © Jonathan Lynn and Antony Jay

As it is about the Thai-European Free Trade Area it is up to the UK if don't wanna be a part of it.

I like Europe and the European Union its a good project, idea.

The Greeks, Spaniards and Portuguese love it. As for the Cypriots they weren't in long enough to get anything out of it.

It is a dead duck. 2 years and it will change or collapse completely.

The Germans are the only ones who love it, coz all the mess keeps their exports cheap.

I don't think Thais are into Indian cars.

• Like 1