Should We Learn The Language?

yourauntbob

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All depends on the reasons why you here and what you doing.

If one comes here to do business, absolutely must.

If one is retired and married, it may not be as necessary, though sure would not hurt

I must say though, in my opinion ONLY, putting aside that Thai is a very difficult language, Thai are not too eager to teach the language.

There are thousands of people who learned English as a second language and can speak it pretty fluently, while there are very few who managed to learn Thai fluently(not in their opinion , but Thai opinion)

• Like 1

Do you mean "should" as in duty, or "should" as in "would be better to"?

Speak whatever language you want. But you'll find it easier to get around, get things done, avoid being cheated, make informed decisions and take advantage of opportunities if you can understand what people say and read the signs.

To be honest, I think the question is a no-brainer. A more interesting question would have been: How important is it? And that depends on many personal circumstances - how long you anticipate being here, how much you have to deal with strangers, where you live, how easily you learn languages, how much spare time you have...

SC

Should as in duty, not be better to.

Speak whatever language you want. But you'll find it easier to get around, get things done, avoid being cheated, make informed decisions and take advantage of opportunities if you can understand what people say and read the signs.

To be honest, I think the question is a no-brainer. A more interesting question would have been: How important is it? And that depends on many personal circumstances - how long you anticipate being here, how much you have to deal with strangers, where you live, how easily you learn languages, how much spare time you have...

SC

I agree - I think to get a non-imm visa one should be made pass a test, like all civilized countries.

Turn the question on its head. Do you expect foreigners who live in your home country as residents rather than as tourists to try and learn your language? Do you complain about those who won't?

That was addressed in the OP, yes i expect foreigners in my home country to speak the native language. It just seems many foreigners here in Thailand dont think the should learn the language and my question was to gauge that sentiment.

SC

No. Speak whatever language you want. It's no-one's problem but your own.

I never learnt a language out of duty.

SC

EDIT:

I'll not bore you with the whole joke, but the punchline is "...I don't see the point. That bloke spoke five, and it didn't do him any good"

Edited by StreetCowboy

Turn the question on its head. Do you expect foreigners who live in your home country as residents rather than as tourists to try and learn your language? Do you complain about those who won't?

That was addressed in the OP, yes i expect foreigners in my home country to speak the native language. It just seems many foreigners here in Thailand dont think the should learn the language and my question was to gauge that sentiment.

You have carefully avoided saying which language variant you think foreigners should learn.

It's like saying everyone that moves to Canada should learn English, not much use if you live in Quebec (they speak French).

Or everyone that moves to Belgium should learn French, not much use if you move to Flanders (they speak Flemish).

Even countries like Italy spoke 3 completely separate languages until the 1950s

(A situation very similar to modern day Thailand)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

SC

I agree - I think to get a non-imm visa one should be made pass a test, like all civilized countries.

I've never been obliged to learn a language, in all the countries I've worked. I think you're letting your prejudices ride your imagination roughshod over your common sense

SC

• Like 2

SC

I've never been obliged to learn a language, in all the countries I've worked. I think you're letting your prejudices ride your imagination roughshod over your common sense

SC

Possibly, but doesn't the UK and USA require a certain standard of English to be able to work there? TEFL, TOEIC etc

Well, to be honest I can't really see why foreigners should (or would like to) learn Thai. But I would say anyone who lives in Thailand or spends a considerable amount of time with Thai people should learn Thai.

It's certainly an advantage if you can speak the local lingo,however some of us are not able to

Learn the language, I can speak a little Thai,but only a little and this is after many years living here,while some people seem to be just natural at learning Thai, even after just a few months they are speaking Thai like a local.Does it hold me back,sure in some instances,but life goes on.

• Like 2

Just invested alot of time and effort and money into learning thai.

Some days I win, some days I loose and want to pack it all up and spit my dummy.

But the doors are opening and it's pretty exciting like I've unlocked a code once thought impossible.

And as an added bonus I've discovered there's heaps of freebies, promotion s and discounts available at supermarkets and shopping centres.

Just by being able to read a little thai.

Do not need Thai for that, just look out for groups of people running into one direction, usually means something is free or on salegiggle.gif