Places To Live In Thailand

skoperism

Hi Guys,

I am planing to move to thailand at some time. Could you suggest some places where I could live. Here are my preferances

1. Near a busy tourist area as later on I would possibly like to get it to a tourism based business.

2. Near the sea.

3. Living expences must not be too high

4. Cheap housing must be available. Just a one room apartment is fine for me.

5. I have stayed in pattaya a couple weeks on a holiday and I feel there are to many bar girls there. Would I be right in saying it may be hard to find a normal girlfriend there who has not been infected with tought that farrangs are more of a money making oppotunity. I feel due to the nature of the area every one there aims to live of the wite mans wallet.

6. I was possibly thinking about Phuket. Any comments?

Please ignore any spelling and or grammer mistakes.

Thanks for your help.

You say you are planning to move to Thailand at some time, but it seems clear you have little knowledge of the country.

Several more holidays in various locations would be an idea.

Whilst you may receive some well-meaning replies, at best they will be subjective.

One man's meat and all that... :o

5. I have stayed in pattaya a couple weeks on a holiday and I feel there are to many bar girls there. Would I be right in saying it may be hard to find a normal girlfriend there who has not been infected with tought that farrangs are more of a money making oppotunity. I feel due to the nature of the area every one there aims to live of the wite mans wallet.

Perhaps you should keep your "white mans wallet" out of Thailand in that case.

You say you are planning to move to Thailand at some time, but it seems clear you have little knowledge of the country.

Several more holidays in various locations would be an idea.

Whilst you may receive some well-meaning replies, at best they will be subjective.

One man's meat and all that... :o

I agree, you need to learn a lot more about the country. I have a fantastic g/f that i met from patts.

Try not to judge the working girls there,i personally think the majority are great people and the stereotype of them apposed to there western counterparts are worlds apart.

Good luck

1. I have been to thailand 3 times in total i have spent 3 Months there. I know thats not alot. But it will do. I may not know everything about the country. But when im move there I will learn what needs to be learnt.

2. About me generalizing about Pattaya. Ofcource there are many nice people in pattaya. There is one psycology law you must consider. The more people around you who preform a certian action the more correct that action is. I know there are many nice girlss there.

1. I have been to thailand 3 times in total i have spent 3 Months there. I know thats not alot. But it will do. I may not know everything about the country. But when im move there I will learn what needs to be learnt.

2. About me generalizing about Pattaya. Ofcource there are many nice people in pattaya. There is one psycology law you must consider. The more people around you who preform a certian action the more correct that action is. I know there are many nice girlss there.

1. lay off stickman

2. the moment you speak poorly of bar girls (even to the slightest extent) is the moment you can kiss good bye and genuine responses on an thailand internet message board.

Hi Guys,

I am planing to move to thailand at some time. Could you suggest some places where I could live. Here are my preferances

1. Near a busy tourist area as later on I would possibly like to get it to a tourism based business.

2. Near the sea.

Thanks for your help.

Wow. You've got a lot to learn.

You want to be located near a busy tourist area by the sea (count out Chang Mai and Bangkok).

Low living expenses and cheap housing (count out all the "busy" tourist areas by the sea, including Pattaya, Phuket, Koh Samui and Krabi)

Oh yeah, and a place that doesn't have too many bar girls. Well, I'm thinking the best place for you would be................

Rangoon

(or build yourself a time machine and go back to Pattaya like it was in the late 60's). :o

How many of you guys have heard someone tell you the story "a buddy of mine went to Thailand, rented a house right on the beach, had 1 woman to do the cooking and another to do the cleaning and was sleeping with them both, all for $50.00 a month" !)

I must have heard that story 8 times now. I bluntly point out to them that the Vietnam War ended over 30 years ago, and none of their friends WERE EVER THERE !

Chiangmai would suit you fine except we have no beach.........

The Uni girls look fab (no I am not a letch)... but I cant help myself... therapy required.. or perhaps I am a letch??? ahh who cares!!!

No matter... listen to the advice given above.. its about as sound as you can expect to receive.

dont rush into anything till you have thought it through and you have your cash sorted out

Good Luck

TP

DO NOT go to Pattya.

It will be the ruin of you......... this is just what I have heard... if you do get a LOW RISE Condo, yeah rent about 8k... its lower in CM and you WILL live longer!!!... and the living is easy (and cheaper)

To reitterate: DO NOT GO TO PATTYA

Loads of other places to go... not there...

Yeah I know.. alll you Pattya crowd are gonna flame me... but if I can save one soul its good enough for me.... come on.. I can take it

TP

Edited by ThaiPauly

DO NOT go to Pattya.

It will be the ruin of you......... this is just what I have heard... if you do get a LOW RISE Condo, yeah rent about 8k... its lower in CM and you WILL live longer!!!... and the living is easy (and cheaper)

To reitterate: DO NOT GO TO PATTYA

Loads of other places to go... not there...

Yeah I know.. alll you Pattya crowd are gonna flame me... but if I can save one soul its good enough for me.... come on.. I can take it

TP

:o I'm with you TP, but you can't save enryone you know!

- Nothing like the northern air and the friendly people. I suggest saving and spending a year or two traveling and staying abroad Thailand before making up your mind. From what I hear from family upnorth, Chiangrai is still relatively cheap and the tourists are still coming.

I'd recommend having a look at some of the very sothern provinces in particular Trang, all the plusses of the more popular Phuket without the Phuket price tag. There are still some cheaper places around Krabi or better still go over on the other coast to Songkhla.

I have to agree with you on Pattaya. I spent seven years living in Narklua (adjacent to Pattaya), I occassionaly have to go there on business but I keep my visits to the shortest possible amount of time. My views on the place would probably be extremely offensive to a number of people here, so I'll leave at agreeing Noel.

One Man's Meet and all that...

Yes, heed the advice given here. DON'T go to Pattaya ! Go north young man, go to Chang Mai !

Lot's of nice, proper girls there. Cheaper housing. Less traffic (excluding all the elephants that roam wild in the streets), better business opportunities to !

Yes, Chang Mai is the place to go, not Pattaya ! :o

What time frame aryou survive until you open your "tourism sector Biz"?

Those are probably your first considerations!

If you want a beach town with some tourism and some other attractions you MIGHT consider Hua Hin. Personally not enough traffic there for a good biz at this point ... and prices on BUYING property should surpass Pattaya area soon. I did rent a 2 BR house (with all the trimmings .. pretty cheap there though ... about 8k/mo paying 6 months in advance.

I really do agree with the posters that said Pattaya. ... Compared to most places in Thailand there's always tourists there, If you are thinking Phuket ... then you'll be thinking Patong and personally ... it's the same as Pattaya but more $$.

I have lived here for over 2 years ... and spent more than 2 more years in country. I am rather fond of Krabi. I could not have lived there 2 years ago. Now I could. I know more about Thailand now and can manage pretty well in the language.

If you are really going to move here to stay, get here ... BKK or CNX and get enrolled in a decent language program. Study for 3-6 months ... then travel.

Thanks for all your help.

Just one more question

Any ideas living in Kho Samui?

Is it easy to find relativly cheap housing here around 5k?

As it is a seprated island not joined by road like phuket does this mean everything is more expensive because it has a transport price included in the product.

Thanks for all your help for all the people who kept on topic and have given advice.

I have not been to Koh Samui for 3 years so feel unqualified to coment..but I met a journalist yesterday who works for one of the big British quality papers. He had just got back from preparing an article about it and his opinion was less than impressive. He also mentioned that the price of property on the island had soared as many people are deciding to buy there in preference to Phuket.

some would say that it is the least safe place in LOS these days !

So now thats Pattya and Samui out......

where else do you fancy???

BTW the guy I spoke of DOES like Chiangmai though !!!

Edited by ThaiPauly

Thanks for your help,

I have stayed in Chang mai for a couple of weeks, I agree it is a very nice place. I guess only one downside for me is no beach. But i dont think thats such a big thing.

Maybe I will spend some more time there and decide also maybe i will spend some time in phuket

Does any one know how many internation visitors per year Chang Mai / Phuket receive? I would imagine Phuket receives alot more tourists than CM.

i agree...AVOID PATTAYA...what a shithole....IMHO of course...the place is crawling with hookers and the low lifes that attract them....flies round <deleted> comes to mind...IMHO...

have u given Hua Hin a thought...more family orientated, plus the King lives there....so if its good enough for his majesty.....

beaches aren't as nice as samui i have to admit...but hey we cant have everything...

makes me sad when i hear of tourists heading to pattaya...its just creating a monster that has consequences beyond the shithole....the low lifes think all thai women are hookers and easy...which in turn flows back to the UK.....######s the lot of them.....IMHO...sorry but i have strong feelings on the flies....

Hi Guys,

2. Near the sea.

Thanks for your help.

Wow. You've got a lot to learn.

You want to be located near a busy tourist area by the sea (count out Chang Mai and Bangkok).

Low living expenses and cheap housing (count out all the "busy" tourist areas by the sea, including Pattaya, Phuket, Koh Samui and Krabi)

Oh yeah, and a place that doesn't have too many bar girls. Well, I'm thinking the best place for you would be................

Rangoon

(or build yourself a time machine and go back to Pattaya like it was in the late 60's). :o

How many of you guys have heard someone tell you the story "a buddy of mine went to Thailand, rented a house right on the beach, had 1 woman to do the cooking and another to do the cleaning and was sleeping with them both, all for $50.00 a month" !)

I must have heard that story 8 times now. I bluntly point out to them that the Vietnam War ended over 30 years ago, and none of their friends WERE EVER THERE !

COBBLERS, british and australian troops started using Pattaya as an R&R resort in 1962 , so before the vietnam war, then US troops from Uttapao started dropping in to trade beer and steaks for souvenirs, from the north east :D ,as far as prices go, in december 1962, 4 of us hired a taxi from bangkok to take us to Phuket, he drove us to phuket stayed with us all week and drove us back to Bkk all for the princely sum of 100 dollars Us and 4 ozs of Erinmore tobacco, by the way, we are still mates with the taxidriver and his extended family, if you like I can give you the number of his company , which is thriving today, old veterans never die we just smell that way!!! :D Nignoy

COBBLERS, british and australian troops started using Pattaya as an R&R resort in 1962 , so before the vietnam war, then US troops from Uttapao started dropping in to trade beer and steaks for souvenirs, from the north east :D ,as far as prices go, in december 1962, 4 of us hired a taxi from bangkok to take us to Phuket, he drove us to phuket stayed with us all week and drove us back to Bkk all for the princely sum of 100 dollars Us and 4 ozs of Erinmore tobacco, by the way, we are still mates with the taxidriver and his extended family, if you like I can give you the number of his company , which is thriving today, old veterans never die we just smell that way!!! :o Nignoy

Off topic I know, but as this one seems to be going nowhere, the above seems just a tantalising glimpse of a bigger story!

"We are still mates" Is this all 4 of you - are you all thriving and living in LOS?

How come you all stayed in touch with the cabbie? And each other? Best intentions are often difficult to fulfil. And how? Presumably you all went home at some stage before returning.

Could this be a great untold story of a life in LOS?

I hope this isn't being intrusive?

some would say that it is the least safe place in LOS these days !

So now thats Pattya and Samui out......

Is that true?... Getting ready to go there in about 1 month with family eh'..

Now you guys are making me nervous!

I think going for a holiday is fine, but personally I would not want to LIVE there.

As you are going with family then you are most unlikely to be affected by anything at all :o

A Farang Woman was murdered there by some fishermen around Xmas time, they have both been caught and are in prison awaiting the Death Penalty.

This will serve as a strong warning to others... so go and enjoy. It is a beautiful island :D

TP

Why are people continuing to suggest CM or CR, when he clearly says he wants a beach.

For me the best choice would be Hua Hin. Close to Bkk, a rapidly developing tourist town with good infrastructure and plenty of scope to make some dollars from a tourism-related business.

It has everything he/she wants.

Why are people continuing to suggest CM or CR, when he clearly says he wants a beach.

For me the best choice would be Hua Hin. Close to Bkk, a rapidly developing tourist town with good infrastructure and plenty of scope to make some dollars from a tourism-related business.

It has everything he/she wants.

And you just happen to have some nice property available at a "reasonable" price ? :o