Thai Language Opensuse 10.0

linuxfan

Which desktop environement do you use, KDE or Gnome ?

Anyway you can chose the desktop language in the configuration utilities for both of them.

You can do it in kcontrol for KDE, and in GDM (Gnome display manager) for Gnome.

Thank you Wallalai for reply.

I try Gnome control centre menu from Desktop in Utilities menu. Then, it shows a desktop preference. I select them one by one but none of them seems to have a function for changing a language.

Then, I go to Yast and select system. Under system, it choose Language. In language, there are 2 options which is primary language and secondary language. Both of them don't have Thai language in the list.

Any suggestion.

Which desktop environement do you use, KDE or Gnome ?

Anyway you can chose the desktop language in the configuration utilities for both of them.

You can do it in kcontrol for KDE, and in GDM (Gnome display manager) for Gnome.

Thank you Wallalai for reply.

I try Gnome control centre menu from Desktop in Utilities menu. Then, it shows a desktop preference. I select them one by one but none of them seems to have a function for changing a language.

Then, I go to Yast and select system. Under system, it choose Language. In language, there are 2 options which is primary language and secondary language. Both of them don't have Thai language in the list.

Any suggestion.

hi'

if you can't see them in the yast control panel, it means that they are not installed, the x86_thai language isn't there!

install them, through yast and after a log off, logon, you'll find them in the list

it's likely that they were not installed with the Xserver when installed the system :o

francois

As Francois said it seems you don't have the thai language support installed.

By GDM I meant the login screen (where you enter your usename and password). If it's the default Gnome one you have options to choose which DE or window manager to launch (in the case you have more than only Gnome installed) and another option to choose the language for the session. You can also choose to use this specific language only for this session or set it by default.

When you have thai support you can unstall a small utility (if not already installed) who is located in the applications bar and let you switch between thai and english keyboard.

Have a nice time :o

By GDM I meant the login screen (where you enter your usename and password). If it's the default Gnome one you have options to choose which DE or window manager to launch (in the case you have more than only Gnome installed) and another option to choose the language for the session. You can also choose to use this specific language only for this session or set it by default.

When you have thai support you can unstall a small utility (if not already installed) who is located in the applications bar and let you switch between thai and english keyboard.

Thank you Francois and Wallalai for your advise.

Have a nice day.

Thank you Francois and Wallalai for your advise.

Have a nice day.

Now, I have a thai menu and can type thai font in openoffice.

I switch language by using a small utility called "Smart common input method" which float on the desktop. I use mouse click on it and then iselect a language from the list ( more than 20 language to choose from). Is there any shortcut to switch between language eg. english and thai.

Thank you very much for all your advise.

hi'

you're welcome :o

you know, if around ten years ago, if I could have all the help provided here, I would have been alright and if not may be give up already, but there were some books and the net and IRC, and the lots of "how-to's" and there you are with guys who spent most of their time to learn for pleasure, and it's with the same pleasure that we share what we have learned :D

also, a lot of us saw the evolution of our OS along the years, the kernel getting easier to manipulate and update as well as gnome, kde etc ...

just keep in mind that kde is born in 96 only, in 10 years they have reached

a level that most ex-windows users learn easily to appreciate! great challenge :D

I use gnome, but it's my own preference :D

francois

hi'

you're welcome :o

you know, if around ten years ago, if I could have all the help provided here, I would have been alright and if not may be give up already, but there were some books and the net and IRC, and the lots of "how-to's" and there you are with guys who spent most of their time to learn for pleasure, and it's with the same pleasure that we share what we have learned :D

also, a lot of us saw the evolution of our OS along the years, the kernel getting easier to manipulate and update as well as gnome, kde etc ...

just keep in mind that kde is born in 96 only, in 10 years they have reached

a level that most ex-windows users learn easily to appreciate! great challenge :D

I use gnome, but it's my own preference :D

francois

Thank you francois.

Have a nice day.

hi'

you too linuxfan and long live to our favourite OS :o

francois

Hello,

I would like to summarize what I did for Thai Language for Opensuse that I posted on March 18, 2006.

First of all, i would like to thank Wallalai for his advise on GDM(Gnome display manage). Secondly, i would like to thank you Francois for his advise for installing thai font.

1. Install Thai font from Yast by open Software Management.

2. In software Management, you can check whether thai font is installed by type "font" on the search box on the left hand and it will show package related to font on the right hand.

3. Looking for package "fonts-thai" and mark it. Then click accept on the right buttom.

4. Follow the installing procedure. Now, thai font is installed.

5. Then, go to hardware and select Keyboard layout. ( still in Yast)

6. find "Thailand" layout and mark it. and click ok.

Now, you should be able to switch between Thai font and English by pressing Alt+Shift.

7. If you want to know what language you are using, you should install keyboard indicator on the panel.

That's all.

Enjoy

Linuxfan

• 3 months later...

hi'

you too linuxfan and long live to our favourite OS :o

francois

Hello,

I would like to summarize what I did for Thai Language for Opensuse that I posted on March 18, 2006.

First of all, i would like to thank Wallalai for his advise on GDM(Gnome display manage). Secondly, i would like to thank you Francois for his advise for installing thai font.

1. Install Thai font from Yast by open Software Management.

2. In software Management, you can check whether thai font is installed by type "font" on the search box on the left hand and it will show package related to font on the right hand.

3. Looking for package "fonts-thai" and mark it. Then click accept on the right buttom.

4. Follow the installing procedure. Now, thai font is installed.

5. Then, go to hardware and select Keyboard layout. ( still in Yast)

6. find "Thailand" layout and mark it. and click ok.

Now, you should be able to switch between Thai font and English by pressing Alt+Shift.

7. If you want to know what language you are using, you should install keyboard indicator on the panel.

Thanks everything worked great upto 6. How do I add a Keyboard indicator. I believe it is a USA/Thai flag that you can use to switch languages. This is all really VERY new to me. But thought I would give Linux a serious run.

• 1 month later...