How Many Holidays For A Thai Employee?

I've been in a company that gives 10 days of holiday, 30 days sick leave, and 2 days of "personal leave" (for emergencies, funerals, etc.)

But for other companies, I've seen 6 days, 10 days, and 12 days of holiday (for staff, that is).

Edited by siamesekitty

Thanks for your replies.

I thought there were a law about that, but it seems from your answers that there is no minimum and every company is free to give the number of holidays it wants.

My question is for an employee in an office, working in the tourist field.

Thanks for your replies.

I thought there were a law about that, but it seems from your answers that there is no minimum and every company is free to give the number of holidays it wants.

My question is for an employee in an office, working in the tourist field.

Yes there is a law for this; I suggest you discuss your situation with a lawyer familiar with employment law.

As in any country, certain things can be spelt out in an employment contract which may differ to some aspects of the generally accepted practices, but you cannot outright contradict the law regarding amounts of leave or minimum pay etc even if both parties are willing to sign. In reality, there is some breaking of the law in employment contracts as with any country, however being a decent human being, I am sure you will be abiding by the law :-)

Vacation days?

Holidays?

Sick days?

All different.

My best friend is a pretty well paid IT pro ... makes 60k/yr (plus commission on sales etc over a certain amt)

He gets screwed on Vacation .... only 8 days his first year at his new company ....

But he gets 2 sick days a month (24 sick days! wow!)

and he gets 10 or 12 holidays can't remember off the top of my head

My employer recently presented me with a contract that gives 3 paid sick days per year! Here's a quick cut and past from an English tranlation of the Thai Labor Laws:

Labour Protection Act B.E.2541

An employee is entitled to sick leave and get his basic pay at a rate equal to the basic pay for a normal working day for the entire time taken as sick leave for up to 30 working days per annum.

I haven't gotten into a big fight with them about it, as I usually use about 0 to 2 sick days per year anyway. BUT, if I do get sick more than three days this year, I will demand my rights.

Regarding the OP's question:

Traditional Holidays

Not less than 13 days including National Labour Day. Where a traditional holiday falls on a weekly holiday, the employee shall be granted an additional holiday on the following working day.

An employee shall get his basic pay on traditional holidays