Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

I think we fell apart after 20 mins.

It's almost like the players think and hope there's 2 games to go, the first one being against the bitters.

Yes totally agree we looked sharp for 15 or 20 minutes,then the wheels fell off,should have received a spot kick,Then OH CARROLL you have to learn to play if it takes you all night and day//,as i have been stating for months,should have continued around the keeper and slotted it home,but mr big head,takes a dive,he still spends far too much time for my liking lying all over the turf,Striker...yeah right,useless,off load him asap. Or as he has the height stick him between the sticks for our next game?

It would be pointless to offload him. As someone has already said you'll get a max of 15m and theres no way FFG is taking a hit like that.

Better off learning more about how to get the best out of him. He still has the potential to make himself a handful for the less physical center backs as long as he learns how to stay on his feet.

that dive was all the more ridiculous because all he had to do was round Krul and slot it home.

• Like 1

I have to say I was honestly shaking my head when we first bought Carroll, regardless of the fee (inflated for many reasons, one being it was the last day of the window) and his good form at the time, but it's so weird that both him and Torres (who was in decent form last season for us, though not the greatest), the two involved in the record breaking dual transfers, have both had similar problems.

Perhaps the money is hanging over both their heads and it's given them too much pressure?

I don't know, just weird...

If video replays can prove that Reina didn't touch Perch, can it be reversed? Or is the motion of butting enough? I never saw it slowed down enough to tell.

Good blood and guts game to watch. Nothing like the Surs v Swansea game, but both equally enjoyable. Could have easily gone either way until mid second half. I really wanted Liverpool to win - not just to push Newcastle further away from the top 4. I got really irritated by the dog-in-the-manger attitude of the normally laudable Toon Army. It's hardly carthhorse's fault if some club turns up with money burning a hole in its pocket and offers enough dosh to finance three decent players for your one idol. Grow up you Geordies!

I'm not convinced that Reina actually nutted, or even intended to nut that Magpie that tripped him, but it certainly looked that way without the benefit of replays.

What are you guys doing to Suarez? He doesn't seem to know which way is up any more.

You mean the same way Liverpool fans respected Torres when he went to a moved to a more successful club.

There are pictures clearly showing him headbutting Perch it connected, its part of the game to go down.

Perhaps the money is hanging over both their heads and it's given them too much pressure?

If video replays can prove that Reina didn't touch Perch, can it be reversed? Or is the motion of butting enough? I never saw it slowed down enough to tell.

I'd say its more to do with the extra money they have bulging out of their pockets, but Torres lost that burst of speed a long time ago due to many niggly injuries. 50 Million or Carroll and Suarez for Torres is good business.

I think it's pressure and a lack of confidence.

I agree that's good business, though.

Said this before about Carroll but here goes again.

He gets in all the right positions but the ball simply never seems to fall for him. His support work for others has been excellent. That laddie just needs a break....maybe it will come sooner or maybe later but I reckon he will score goals.

Whether he's got £35m worth of them in him I wouldn't like to say....

• Like 1

I'd say its more to do with the extra money they have bulging out of their pockets, but Torres lost that burst of speed a long time ago due to many niggly injuries. 50 Million or Carroll and Suarez for Torres is good business.

Andy Carrol good buisness,,,hahaha april fools day was yesterday, most expensive english player and he has been warming Liverpools bench.

You would be lucky to get someone to buy him for 10 million.

Whether he's got £35m worth of [goals] in him I wouldn't like to say....

Well, I WOULD like to say - he hasn't got 35 quid's worth in him.

And don't forget. as well as that astronomical misjudgment of a transfer fee those idiot Yanks paid, they are also paying him an equally astronomical salary for under-performing each week.

And I don't agree that Torres out = Carthorse and Diver Cheat in is the right equation - you could have bought Suarez without the donkey and saved yourself 35 million quid, which would have been better-spent elsewhere on the pitch. This season is a damning indictment of the suicidal nature of Liverpool's transfer policy (unless you're a Myopic Red that is).

I expect Suarez will weasel himself out of LFC in the summer. Why would he stay in a middling premiership side with no imminent hope of recreating the Glory Days of Champions League football?

And don't forget. as well as that astronomical misjudgment of a transfer fee those idiot Yanks paid, they are also paying him an equally astronomical salary for under-performing each week.

And I don't agree that Torres out = Carthorse and Diver Cheat in is the right equation - you could have bought Suarez without the donkey and saved yourself 35 million quid, which would have been better-spent elsewhere on the pitch. This season is a damning indictment of the suicidal nature of Liverpool's transfer policy (unless you're a Myopic Red that is).

I expect Suarez will weasel himself out of LFC in the summer. Why would he stay in a middling premiership side with no imminent hope of recreating the Glory Days of Champions League football?

He won't you know cos he's on big bucks. £35m wasn't Carroll's price it was his chairmans....

Andy Carroll plus Luis Suarez for Torres was good business.

Everything in context, my friend...

Good business is not spunking 50 million on those two, Suarez a tricky player but as for scoring goals very average, good business is what Pardrew has done at Newcastle they are starting to look like a very exciting team to watch and a striker force Liverpool could only dream of.

Andy Carroll plus Luis Suarez for Torres was good business.

Everything in context, my friend...

Good business is not spunking 50 million on those two, Suarez a tricky player but as for scoring goals very average, good business is what Pardrew has done at Newcastle they are starting to look like a very exciting team to watch and a striker force Liverpool could only dream of.

Good point that....and maybe a manager they should dream of?

I dont know whats occured more times this season, liverpool hitting the woodwork or everton fans crawling out of it!........

"Bastion of Invincibility" Liverpool Football Club.

• Like 1

I dont know whats occured more times this season, liverpool hitting the woodwork or everton fans crawling out of it!........

With your super-expensive flops, I'll take the former. And more bleating from you lot.

From a readers comment in the Guardian

As the lowest ranked team left in the competition I do hope Liverpool can give it a good go in the cup in a fortnight. I do like to see a bunch of plucky no-hopers pull off a major shock and upset the big boys once in a while.

How can it possibly be good business when Liverpool paid 58m for those two and their combined current market value would be no more than 40m?

I think it's pressure and a lack of confidence.

I agree that's good business, though.

Said this before about Carroll but here goes again.

He gets in all the right positions but the ball simply never seems to fall for him. His support work for others has been excellent. That laddie just needs a break....maybe it will come sooner or maybe later but I reckon he will score goals.

Whether he's got £35m worth of them in him I wouldn't like to say....

he's never going to be much better than he currently is. All that can be done is to use him as effectively as possible.

he never was and never will be a 35m player. You can probably blame that tool comolli for that.

It would be pointless to offload him. As someone has already said you'll get a max of 15m and theres no way FFG is taking a hit like that.

Remember his price is amortized over 5 years. So if he was sold in the summer for 15m, the loss would be approximately 9m. Not exactly chicken feed but not really such a big deal (less than Man City lose in a month).

As the lowest ranked team left in the competition I do hope Liverpool can give it a good go in the cup in a fortnight. I do like to see a bunch of plucky no-hopers pull off a major shock and upset the big boys once in a while.

For a small club they're certainly punching above their weight right now.

Let's see what another season of no Champions league does to them.

Well on the evidence of the last couple of seasons, it wont make a dramatic difference.

We will still generate more 'commercial' revenues - i.e. money for nothing - than Everton will make total revenues. And we will still generate more revenues without CL than Spurs will make with CL. The question is when will the club learn to spend them wisely.

• Like 2

cheesy.gif

bless. we're in a hole but at least we have memories and trophies. everton have DVDs of 2-legged champions league qualifier failures against villareal. moyes has 10 years of frankly nothing. i'd still rather be where we are than where you lot are.

we are one hell of a mess though. it's the lack of seeming plan that's most concerning. kenny looks a bit lost but he deserves a certain level of patience and respect based simply on what he's done for the club and in his career. he's still the only living football manager to have won english league titles with two different clubs. he's still won more league titles than wenger despite years out of the game. he's still forgotten more about football than all of us gobshite posters on here put together will ever know.

there are concerns about the signings underperforming, about what the hell commoli does, about FSG's genuine commitment and where the stadium is. it's been a bloody awful season and were we to win the FA cup as well as the league cup there is still a hell of a lot of work to be done in the summer. i think a few senior pros will leave - i want carragher to be one of them - and a couple of the recent signings would even be worth moving on too if it generates funds for replacements. we're pretty much at 'now what?' stage and that's worrying. but the last time i remember KD being in charge of liverpool and saying 'now what?' he went out and signed barnes, beardsley, aldridge and houghton and we became a quite incredible team. so i guess we'll see. blueshite in the cup first. which on current form and mentality, i do not expect us to win. and it's rare i feel like that when liverpool are faced with a knockout match against a minnow.

yeah newcastle's recent signings have been really smart. which i believe is what commoli is supposed to be doing for us.

in bare 'good business' terms though suarez certainly is. we'd sell him for comfortably more than we paid for him, not that i want us to be viewed as a selling club. carroll though? we'd be lucky to get 15m. he looks more and more like a panic buy who is simply never going to fulfill the potential he has. downing was shit business. adam and enrique probably about par. henderson we can only hope is going to become a top midfielder, but it's a gamble at what we paid. i'd ship adam this summer though, and probably enrique too. but downing? nobody would give us more than 10m for him. it's frustrating.

Remember his price is amortized over 5 years. So if he was sold in the summer for 15m, the loss would be approximately 9m. Not exactly chicken feed but not really such a big deal (less than Man City lose in a month).

Whoa there boy. You are talking accounting loss, whereas 99.99% of the footballing world thinks in terms of cash. Even if you are talking accounting, what you're saying is 'if we ignore the expense we wrote of this year (on a player that never delivered the value implied by that expense anyway) then the loss is much less than you first thought of.'

Smoke and mirrors matey! :-)

[Chartered Accountant (retired) TV Member]

Yes it is rumoured Santi still holds the purse strings at the Lbrary. No way would he allow any mirrors there...not when Tony Adams was in attendance and certainly not now...ewwww...

As Santi might have said..."If I wanted to be in the red I'd have moved to Donegal...."

So I don't think Kenny will go. Who knows, though. We have to wait to see if we can turn this around.

I saw a poll on a liverpool fan page and 1200 votes for he stays, 600 for he goes. So, still a lot of support but when you're on such a horrible, horrible streak you might expect there to be even more no's. If it was any other manager I think there would be more no's.

I made up a Liverpool wishlist the other night when I was fantasizing. Pure fantasy buys, most of them, which I think would never happen. Although most of them would be available, possibly, in this summer or next.

Funny to note I did not list any English players except one (I think Hoilett is Canadian, not English?). There's really something to the fact that if a player comes from Spain or wherever, they seem a bit more appealing than someone named "John Edwards," am I right? Even if the English player is even a little bit better. Well, make of that what you will.

Some players are world-class, whereas others are not, but could add to the depth of the squad in desperately needed areas. While we have been not good enough defensively of late, I still think we are fairly solid in that area and Lucas' injury has a lot to do with our performance in that area, in my opinion. Of course, like most fans, I dream about the tricky, pacy wingers and goal scorers but I think that's also where we're lacking most. So most of my fantasy buys would either have pace, assists, goals, or play making ability.

No need to say you'll never get this player or that player or they'd never come to Liverpool because you're a small club now from all you trolls, etc. These are fantasy buys. Though I do think some of them are within reach.

Here's the list:

Liverpool wishlist

Eden Hazard

Emmanuel Adebayor

Klaas-Jun Huntelaar

Mario Gomez

Shinji Kagawa

Royston Drenthe (we need pace, so what he plays for Everton, he's on loan and could conceivably get him)

Edison Cavani

Oscar Cardozo

Demba Ba

Iker Muniain

xherdan Shaqiri

Nathan Dyer

Falcao

Luuk de Jong

Junior Hoilet (because he would be on a free this summer, worth a shot)

There you go, slaughter my dreams away. I'm well aware a couple of these aren't amazing, but then those few would be more realistic than fantasy buys...

As if Demba Ba would go to Liverpool - he's at a massive club right now. You might throw in Carthorse in an exchange deal but even then, why would he - why would any good player - want to go. What do Liverpool offer to anyone from a bigger club, like Newcastle or Everton, right now?

As StevieH tragically pointed out, all you have now are memories - and bitterness. No game plan, no easy way out, no CL, with finger-pointing (rightly) at the owners, Comolli, Prince Kenny and the players. yet the owners aren't lightly going to give an out of his depth, past-it and likely-to-be-sacked manager another massive transfer bounty over the summer (if he's still there), so how is this going to change for you i wonder.

OK you might win the FA cup, but even if you win it (even on penalties again), it just proves you are now just a cup side and no longer a force in the league.

If Kenny resigned it would help kick start your re-structuring, but is that likely to happen? How much does he get if he's booted out?

We might yet see an unseemly battle for him to stay so he can get his payout by being sacked, even when next season may be worse than this season.

yeah newcastle's recent signings have been really smart. which i believe is what commoli is supposed to be doing for us.

in bare 'good business' terms though suarez certainly is. we'd sell him for comfortably more than we paid for him, not that i want us to be viewed as a selling club. carroll though? we'd be lucky to get 15m. he looks more and more like a panic buy who is simply never going to fulfill the potential he has. downing was shit business. adam and enrique probably about par. henderson we can only hope is going to become a top midfielder, but it's a gamble at what we paid. i'd ship adam this summer though, and probably enrique too. but downing? nobody would give us more than 10m for him. it's frustrating.

if you read any of my posts you'll know i'm pretty much in agreemant we you but i just can't agree about Enrique. i'd go as far to say he might well get in the premier league end of season team. ofcourse he's prone to the odd mistake but generally speaking he's played very well.

if you read any of my posts you'll know i'm pretty much in agreemant we you but i just can't agree about Enrique. i'd go as far to say he might well get in the premier league end of season team. ofcourse he's prone to the odd mistake but generally speaking he's played very well.

he was fine until december or so but since then he's been quite a liability. gets pulled about positionally and has this stupid urge to be physical in every challenge, often letting quick players nip round him as he attempts to barge them. he's not been helped by downing being utter gash ahead of him on the left and bellamy being unable to play there regularly etc, but he won't be in any teams of the season.

he was fine until december or so but since then he's been quite a liability. gets pulled about positionally and has this stupid urge to be physical in every challenge, often letting quick players nip round him as he attempts to barge them. he's not been helped by downing being utter gash ahead of him on the left and bellamy being unable to play there regularly etc, but he won't be in any teams of the season.

Can't argue with that as i haven't seen him play much recently. You know when you look at a player like Downing, see the "commitment" and his "workrate" it makes you realise theres only so much a manager can do. KD has made mistakes but i feel he's fundamentally been let down by his players.