Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

I think some of you guys are putting too much value on a clubs history. Surely the top 2 factors for most players choosing a team would be, chances of winning trophies and money. If history is so important why don't more players sign for Forest?

39.gif A chav playing down a team having history, now why would that be i wonder 5.gif

Where would you place Spurs Alfie? A club with or without history?

I didn't take it as mjj playing down a club with history, just pointing out that maybe some people are putting too much emphasis on it when it isn't the only deciding factor when a player comes to choose a club. Do you disagree with that?

4.gif A city bod now siding with Chelse about history being overrated, now why would that be i wonder 39.gif24.gif

And still no answer. Was the question too difficult Alfie smile.png

"Stop dreaming, if Liverpool had offered him more money than City then he would have gone there, end of."

this is actually correct. he wanted to move to liverpool and supposedly sent steven gerrard a text explaining that city had offered him 2.5 to 3 times the money liverpool had and he simply couldn't say no. was his last big contract and retirement package so what could he do?

That still doesn't mean he would have gone to Liverpool though stevie. Just like any friends do, you send each other texts, Gerrard was asking what he was doing and he simply replied that City had made him an offer that was too good to refuse. The same thing happened to me and mates were texting me when I accepted a job in Saudi. This happens in normal day-to-day life.

Or are you inplying that Barry was trying to get Gerrard to take that message to the board in an attempt to get Liverpool to up the offer?

no, i'm saying barry was texting a mate who he had hoped to be playing and working alongside to say sorry, won't be coming after all. gerrard hadn't asked barry anything.

Oh. So now he said "I won't be coming afterall". You didn't say he had texted that in your earlier post.

Probably sounds like I'm trying to wind up City fans but I'm really not.

You're allowed your opinion. I personally think it's harsh but you're allowed it.

Hey Bob. Just noticed that whilst I was replying to your post, you edited it and took the above line out. Why was that?

No i didn't, you just put it in there whistling.gif

Probably sounds like I'm trying to wind up City fans but I'm really not.

You're allowed your opinion. I personally think it's harsh but you're allowed it.

Hey Bob. Just noticed that whilst I was replying to your post, you edited it and took the above line out. Why was that?

I can't do that. It's against forum rules. Do you think when you edit a post it simply disappears whistling.gif

I can't do that. It's against forum rules. Do you think when you edit a post it simply disappears whistling.gif

I'd say I'm 99.99% positive you are correct. I didn't mean to delete it, I was in hurry, the pub was about to open biggrin.png

"Stop dreaming, if Liverpool had offered him more money than City then he would have gone there, end of."

this is actually correct. he wanted to move to liverpool and supposedly sent steven gerrard a text explaining that city had offered him 2.5 to 3 times the money liverpool had and he simply couldn't say no. was his last big contract and retirement package so what could he do?

That still doesn't mean he would have gone to Liverpool though stevie. Just like any friends do, you send each other texts, Gerrard was asking what he was doing and he simply replied that City had made him an offer that was too good to refuse. The same thing happened to me and mates were texting me when I accepted a job in Saudi. This happens in normal day-to-day life.

Or are you inplying that Barry was trying to get Gerrard to take that message to the board in an attempt to get Liverpool to up the offer?

no, i'm saying barry was texting a mate who he had hoped to be playing and working alongside to say sorry, won't be coming after all. gerrard hadn't asked barry anything.

Oh. So now he said "I won't be coming afterall". You didn't say he had texted that in your earlier post.

was implied though wasn't it boj? he wanted to sign for liverpool, city offered him a contract that at his age and stage of career he couldn't refuse.

was implied though wasn't it boj? he wanted to sign for liverpool, city offered him a contract that at his age and stage of career he couldn't refuse.

I think without any of us knowing the exact words and the context it was in, it would be difficult for anyone to know what was implied stevie.

I think without any of us knowing the exact words and the context it was in, it would be difficult for anyone to know what was implied stevie.

well i know the lad who is a mate of gerrard's and who has said that apparently barry was gutted not to be able to join liverpool and that is was purely a case of money. so obviously not that gutted like. but hey. back to the balance that rixalex and i were talking about.

Robin Van Persie is pretty good example I think. Mancini wanted him but he went to United. Mancini admitted it wasn't about the money. Van Persie said he went with his heart. Though there probably wasn't a significant difference in wages offered.

Willian is good example of money being the only motivator, going from the Ukrainian league to the Russian league isn't really developing your career as a footballer is it? He did have offers in the EPL

It would be interesting if a player was asked why he made the move by a journo and he answered "I just came here for the money" How would some of you fans feel about that?

Sorry for hijacking the Liverpool forum here, maybe there should be a new thread, "For Love or Money"

You are wrong Stevie.

City offered him less than 100k per week, which was 20-25k more than he was getting at Villa.

So does that mean Liverpool were offering him 30k per week??? Dont think so.

Also when Liverpool announced they had interest in signing Barry, one of the songs their fans sang was " You Can Stick Yer Gareth Barry Up Yer A##"

Barry is on record as saying that he was aware of the chants.

He also is on record as saying he believed he had a better chance of winning trophies with City. That part is not conjecture, as it turns out he was quite correctthumbsup.gif

Morning everyone.

Can i just put an end to the gareth Barry arguement.

Ofcourse he would have gone to Liverpool if it wasn't for an enormous amount of money. Do i blame him? No, not at all but lets not kid ourselves it was about anything else.

Just like that european elite club Chelsea. All those marquee players joined them because of who they are. "Oh it was a dream come true. I supported the chavs since i was a boy. Micky Droy was my childhood hero". Yeh right...

I think Barry's decision not to go to Liverpool might have something to do with the chants, wasn't he being bought to replace Alonso? who was very popular with the fans, that was one of Rafa's weirdest decisionsbiggrin.png

I think Barry's decision not to go to Liverpool might have something to do with the chants, wasn't he being bought to replace Alonso? who was very popular with the fans, that was one of Rafa's weirdest decisionsbiggrin.png

You are absolutely correct nev.

He has publicly stated he was aware of the chants.

Morning everyone.

Ofcourse he would have gone to Liverpool if it wasn't for an enormous amount of money. Do i blame him? No, not at all but lets not kid ourselves it was about anything else.

Just like that european elite club Chelsea. All those marquee players joined them because of who they are. "Oh it was a dream come true. I supported the chavs since i was a boy. Micky Droy was my childhood hero". Yeh right...

How much was he offered at Liverpool, carmine?

Morning everyone.

Whatever it was it would have been nowhere near the obscene wages being handed out by City.

Morning everyone.

Whatever it was it would have been nowhere near the obscene wages being handed out by City.

And don't forget, its not only purely the wages that can turn a player's head, it's all the other perks, benefits, add-ons, endorsement contracts and such, they can get written into the deal with the club, that can make a big personal difference to a player and help him to chose one club over another.

Morning everyone.

And don't forget, its not only purely the wages that can turn a player's head, it's all the other perks, benefits, add-ons, endorsement contracts and such, they can get written into the deal with the club, that can make a big personal difference to a player and help him to chose one club over another.

Unless ofcourse your name is Robbie Keane who was a boyhood fan of Liverpool, Celtic, Villa and LA Galaxy too, i have no doubt!

Morning everyone.

What everyone seems to forget is the year before he came to City, Liverpool had 5 failed bid attempts to land him. Why didn't he go then? City weren't even in the frame at that point and hadn't even made an approach.

Then the following year Aston Villa offered him 80k per week and make him their highest ever player. He turned this down for an extra 20k at City which in the scheme of things isn't that huge but more importantly, he wanted the chance to win trophy's. So what were Liverpool offering? Somewhere between 80-100k per week? And he still chose City.

I know it might hurt you to know this my Liverpudlian friends but nowadays not everyone wants to go to your club.

Morning everyone.

What everyone seems to forget is the year before he came to City, Liverpool had 5 failed bid attempts to land him. Why didn't he go then? City weren't even in the frame at that point and hadn't even made an approach.

Then the following year Aston Villa offered him 80k per week and make him their highest ever player. He turned this down for an extra 20k at City which in the scheme of things isn't that huge but more importantly, he wanted the chance to win trophy's. So what were Liverpool offering? Somewhere between 80-100k per week? And he still chose City.

I know it might hurt you to know this my Liverpudlian friends but nowadays not everyone wants to go to your club.

I was born in north london!

i just don't understand City and Chelsea fans. Its not enough for you to have won the lottery, bought half a billion quids worth of players and coincidentally won the league. the rest of us would have been chuffed to bits. Oh no! Now its not about the money, its not about the history of the game. Suddenly you've all become ever so delicate and sensitive about your position amongst the elite. You are not just going to be accepted into the elite because you spend more and out bid everyone and win the odd bit of silverware.

I for one have no time for you all if you can't just be grateful for what you have. Bundles of cash. Theres an inferiority complex developing here due to unrealistic expectations.

I bet Pompey fans wouldn't be so delicate about their percieved status in the game if they had a bit of your cash!

• Like 2

Morning everyone.

yeah, and however much jackndanny continues to argue it, barry chose city for money. not pure salary as you point out, but for a package over the duration of his last big contract (he was 28) which was around three times what was being offered by liverpool. hence him telling gerrard that he wouldn't be joining him at liverpool after all. it was a retirement package.

"i just don't understand City and Chelsea fans. Its not enough for you to have won the lottery, bought half a billion quids worth of players and coincidentally won the league. the rest of us would have been chuffed to bits. Oh no! Now its not about the money, its not about the history of the game. Suddenly you've all become ever so delicate and sensitive about your position amongst the elite. You are not just going to be accepted into the elite because you spend more and out bid everyone and win the odd bit of silverware. "

yes, there's a lot of that going on here. it's pretty pathetic.

i just don't understand City and Chelsea fans. Its not enough for you to have won the lottery, bought half a billion quids worth of players and coincidentally won the league. the rest of us would have been chuffed to bits. Oh no! Now its not about the money, its not about the history of the game. Suddenly you've all become ever so delicate and sensitive about your position amongst the elite. You are not just going to be accepted into the elite because you spend more and out bid everyone and win the odd bit of silverware.

I for one have no time for you all if you can't just be grateful for what you have. Bundles of cash. Theres an inferiority complex developing here due to unrealistic expectations.

I bet Pompey fans wouldn't be so delicate about their percieved status in the game if they had a bit of your cash!

I obviously wasn't saying you were a Liverpudlian. This subject was about Barry not going to Liverpool not about whether he turned down Spurs.

As for the rest of your piece. There is absolutely no inferior complex on my part and I am indeed chuffed to bits that we had this " lottery" win as you put it. You can go all the way back in my posts to when we got took over to see how delighted I was and still am. There is no sensitivity here but am I not allowed to respond when I believe someone is throwing rocks at us without just cause. In fact forget that, if someone throws rocks at me I'll throw <deleted> boulders back.

"i just don't understand City and Chelsea fans. Its not enough for you to have won the lottery, bought half a billion quids worth of players and coincidentally won the league. the rest of us would have been chuffed to bits. Oh no! Now its not about the money, its not about the history of the game. Suddenly you've all become ever so delicate and sensitive about your position amongst the elite. You are not just going to be accepted into the elite because you spend more and out bid everyone and win the odd bit of silverware. "

You trying to make excuses as to why someone chose another club over yours is just as bad stevie. Why didn't Barry go to Liverpool the year before when Villa turned down 5 bids from you? You need to get down off your perch.

Envy can be a pretty ugly thing, and there's a boatload of it currently in this thread.coffee1.gif

I obviously wasn't saying you were a Liverpudlian. This subject was about Barry not going to Liverpool not about whether he turned down Spurs.

As for the rest of your piece. There is absolutely no inferior complex on my part and I am indeed chuffed to bits that we had this " lottery" win as you put it. You can go all the way back in my posts to when we got took over to see how delighted I was and still am. There is no sensitivity here but am I not allowed to respond when I believe someone is throwing rocks at us without just cause. In fact forget that, if someone throws rocks at me I'll throw <deleted> boulders back.

Likewise.

I will always be thankful for what we have got. I have never been snotty about it. I realise how lucky we are.

But when <deleted> is talked about the team I support, I will respond, as any football fan would do.

To say that City offered 3 times what Liverpool offered him is just plain nonsense.

Why did Barry join City? I believe for several reasons, of which money may have been one, but in my opinion not the main one, as I believe the extra money was not the fortunes people are saying on here.

He went on record as saying he went to City because he wanted to win trophies, and play Champions League football. Everybody on this thread castigated that by saying City would never finish top 4 let alone win a trophy. I distinctly remember many posters saying the same thing.... yet here we are 3 yrs later as Champions of England. I am not boasting about it, just stating facts. So Barry was right.

There was also his playing for England. By staying at Villa or moving to City at that time, he was virtually assured of a first team place, therefore guaranteeing himself an England place. With Liverpool, it was not a certainty he would be guaranteed first team football every game.

Where would you place Spurs Alfie? A club with or without history?

Well if you classify history as winning trophies, a consistant high league position and high attendances, then yes.

I didn't take it as mjj playing down a club with history, just pointing out that maybe some people are putting too much emphasis on it when it isn't the only deciding factor when a player comes to choose a club. Do you disagree with that?

Where has anyone said that history is the only deciding factor when a player comes to choose a club ? i thought most people are saying that money is the deciding factor when it comes to choosing a club with the size of club / history coming second.

Where has anyone said that history is the only deciding factor when a player comes to choose a club ? i thought most people are saying that money is the deciding factor when it comes to choosing a club with the size of club / history coming second.

Alfie. Please read what I said again. Below is the original post that you responded to mjj in which he mentioned other factors that decide where a player goes. You then jumped in accusing him of playing down a club with history. All I did was agree that it isn't the only factor, of which you have just said the same above. I think we are singing from the same sheet here.

I think some of you guys are putting too much value on a clubs history. Surely the top 2 factors for most players choosing a team would be, chances of winning trophies and money. If history is so important why don't more players sign for Forest?

39.gif A chav playing down a team having history, now why would that be i wonder 5.gif

You trying to make excuses as to why someone chose another club over yours is just as bad stevie. Why didn't Barry go to Liverpool the year before when Villa turned down 5 bids from you? You need to get down off your perch.

sorry you perceive it that way boj, but it isn't me that's being defensive here. i know for a fact from a lad who knows gerrard that barry told gerrard that. there are a number of reasons that barry didn't join liverpool the previous summer, none of which i can be bothered going into because they're irrelevant to this discussion. by the by one of them was that alonso, benitez's biggest mistake at liverpool, was still there and not going to real madrid.

incidentally liverpool finished 2nd in the league in 2009, just four points behind an unfathomably high-achieving man united and with a record points total for a 2nd place finish. a small matter of 36 points ahead of man city in 10th. liverpool had recently spanked united 4-1 at old trafford, walloped real madrid 5-0 on aggregate in europe and were unbelievably unlucky not to win the title. barry joined city that summer - and it was to join a team with a chance of winning trophies and not for the 3x money?