Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

I would hate Berbatov to go to Man U. I'd have to stop being a fan of his.

Just watched Olympics. Lucas got a red card for fouling Mascherano! And then Mascherano drew a second red card from another player a few minutes later. Crazy stuff. Wonder if Lucas will be ribbed for that. I sure would wouldn't let him live it down in the locker room.

With limited time left, interference from R Parry and the owners (according to the papers) will we actually sign any big name players or lets say top quality players or player that will strengthen the team?

I think the squad is looking great when the rest get back from the Olympics and seriously think we can make a challenge for top 3 this year but definitely need 1 or 2 more top signings to win the EPL Title.

Looks as if the Barry deal is dead for this time. (Hoping Alonso stays! and keeps playing as he has recently) but really wondering what really happened between him and Benitez I thought he was his golden boy?

And will the likes of Pennant and Vorinin be sold this window and should they if no replacements?

Good to see Alonso getting two goals and also Keane also for their respective countries.

I read Benitez and Alonso had a falling out of secret talks with real madrid at the beginning of the year, apparently there were supposed to come in with a 25million bid.

I see... I think Alonso is now showing his fighting spirit again and definitely showing he is still a top player considering Benitiez doesn't want him at the club.

Kick off tonight 9 pm om truesports 1 ch 61 . If we win it'll be our 9th successive at home , team news :o :

Liverpool v Middlesbrough

</B>

_44929471_liv_mid_0506.gif

Liverpool are without centre-back Sami Hyypia after he picked up a hamstring injury playing for Finland in midweek.

And, while Dutch winger Ryan Babel has returned from the Olympics, midfielders Lucas and Javier Mascherano are not yet back from Beijing.

Middlesbrough's new signing Justin Hoyte may make his debut at right-back.

Egyptian duo Mido and Mohamed Shawky were both on international duty and Boro boss Gareth Southgate will check on their fitness.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Dossena, Benayoun, Gerrard, Alonso, Plessis, Kuyt, Aurelio, Keane, El Zhar, Torres, Cavalieri, Ngog, Skrtel, Babel.

Middlesbrough (from): Jones, Turnbull, Wheater, Hoyte, Huth, Pogatetz, Williams, Taylor, Grounds, Aliadiere, Emnes, O'Neil, Shawky, Digard, Downing, Johnson, Tuncay, Alves, Mido.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez (on his 'clear the air' talks with chief executive Rick Parry):

"We talked about the players that we have, how to progress, and we both know it is important for the club that we work together.

"The talks were positive, we cannot discuss names but we are now both working to improve our squad.

"There was no friction, but some personal problems. Now things are more clear and that is positive. It was a private conversation."

Middlesbrough boss Gareth Southgate:

"I've got another two or three games to reassess the squad before the transfer window closes.

"I need to have a look and see if there are any areas which need strengthening. But at the moment I am relatively happy with what we have got.

"We have a small squad but it's a tight and together squad and I want all the players to have a chance of playing football this season."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

These clubs achieved winning starts last weekend, and both are hoping to make it four league wins on the trot.

Middlesbrough go into their 500th Premier League match, aiming to bag six points out of six from the outset of a Premier League campaign for the first time ever.

But the Riversiders have lost their first AWAY fixture in the Premier League in each of the last five seasons.

Liverpool are bidding for a ninth successive home league win; Middlesbrough are in danger of extending their winless away sequence to a ninth game.

Jose Reina, who kept an unequalled 18 clean sheets in this league last term, was one of three keepers to manage a top-flight shut-out last weekend.

The Merseysiders finished last season nine places and 34 points better off than the Teessiders, scoring 24 more goals and conceding 25 fewer.

It is 32 years since Middlesbrough last won at Anfield. England defender Terry Cooper and forward John Hickton scored in a 0-2 victory on 6 March 1976.

Fernando Torres scored the second of three hat-tricks for Liverpool last season in this corresponding fixture.

Distance between clubs: 143.3 miles (231 kms)

CLUB FORM

LIVERPOOL Club statsFixtures 2007-08 Premier League performance

Last season's finishing position: 4th, nine points outside the top two

This season: 9th 3 points

1. Kicked off with a 0-1 away win over Sunderland; one of nine clubs to pick up maximum points from the opening round of matches.

2. Yet to concede a goal (all comps), having preceded the league fixture with an unimpressive goalless draw, away to Standard Liege in Champions League qualifying. The return leg is on Wednesday.

3. One of three clubs yet to concede a Premier League goal; Chelsea and Arsenal are the others.

4. Not conceded in 305 minutes of Premier League football, since Sebastian Larsson scored Birmingham's second in the 2-2 draw at St Andrews on 26 April.

5. Won their last three league games; against Manchester City (h), Tottenham (a) and Sunderland (a).

6. Unbeaten in eight Premier League outings; won six and drawn two since losing 3-0, away to Manchester United on 23 March - their only reverse in 16.

7. Won their last eight league fixtures at Anfield; against Sunderland, Middlesbrough, West Ham, Newcastle, Reading, Everton, Blackburn and Manchester City.

8. Won their first two fixtures of a 20-club Premier League once before; in 2002-03, beating Aston Villa (a) and Southampton (h). Began that campaign with a 12 match unbeaten sequence (nine wins, three draws).

9. Started on a 14-match unbeaten sequence last term; winning eight and drawing six league games until the 3-2 defeat, away to Reading on 8 December 2007.

MIDDLESBROUGH Club statsFixtures 2007-08 Premier League performance

Last season's finishing position: 13th

This season: 6th 3 points

1. Kicked off with a 2-1 home win over Tottenham; one of nine clubs to pick up maximum points from the opening round of matches.

2. Won their last three league games; against Portsmouth (home, 2-0), Manchester City (home, 8-1) and Tottenham (home, 2-1).

3. Spent all but one week of last season in the bottom half of the table.

4. Playing their 250th away match in the Premier League.

5. Unbeaten in eight league games on the road; drawn five and lost three away from the Riverside since beating beleaguered Derby 1-0 at Pride Park on 15 December.

6. Need to score five more goals to total 600 all-time in the Premier League.

7. Not claimed a point from a seasonal opening AWAY match since drawing 0-0 at Southampton on 17 August 2002. Not won a first away trip of the season since defeating Coventry 1-3 at Highfield Road on 19 August 2000.

KEY PLAYER NOTES

LIVERPOOL

Fernando TORRES, who scored 33 goals for Liverpool last season, has already netted their only goal so far.

The 24 year old Spain international scored a total of four goals in his two appearances against Middlesbrough last season.

If on the field from the outset:-

Sami HYYPIA will be making his 300th Premier League start for Liverpool.

MIDDLESBROUGH

If selected:-

Stewart DOWNING will be making his 200th club career appearance (Middlesbrough and Sunderland).

If on the field from the outset:-

Gary O'NEIL will be making his 200th club career start (Portsmouth, Walsall, Cardiff and Middlesbrough).

HEAD TO HEAD

Liverpool are undefeated in seven Premier League meetings with Middlesbrough (three wins, four draws).

The Teessiders have never taken maximum points off Liverpool in the Premier League at Anfield, and have not beaten the Reds since a 2-0 triumph at the Riverside on 20 November 2004.

The Reds have won four of the last seven home league games against 'Boro by a 2-0 scoreline, although last season it was by the odd goal in five.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Liverpool 56 wins, Middlesbro 37, Draws 39

Prem: Liverpool 12 wins, Middlesbrough 5, Draws 9

at Liverpool only

League (inc PL): Liverpool 36 wins, Middlesbro 13, Draws 17

Prem: Liverpool 9 wins, Middlesbrough 0, Draws 4

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Liverpool 3-2 Middlesbrough

23 February 2008 - Ref: Lee Mason

Liverpool scorers: Torres 28, 29, 61

Middlesbrough scorers: Sanli 9, Downing 83

Sent Off: Aliadiere (Middlesbrough) 85

REFEREE Mike Riley (Leeds, Yorkshire)

Get it there !!!!!!

Liverpool 2-1 Boro :D:D

First off , hats of to Boro and Gareth Southgate. They came to Anfield and had a good go at us and at least deserved a point. If they keep on playing that way this season then it'll be a good one.

So , Torres and Keane up front has still not clicked yet , Skrtel can header the ball away from goal but not towards :D , Gerrard was quiet for 93 minutes but somehow we still ended up winning and he scored the winner :o .

This is exactly the type of game we would have drew last season so even though we didn't play well we came out with a win. Now all we need is to put 5 past Liege to give the lads that confidence kick they need .

So far 2 games with average performances and 2 wins , you don't get many of them a season.

Get in there !!!!!!!!!!.

I'm ecstatic. Unbelievable. Playing a crap game until he scores the last goal, Gerrard does it again. Carragher with a goal, always a good bet to win some money if you bet for him to score. They may take it away from him later, but way to go, lads!

I know it's early days :D , but the number one spot at the end of the season could be right :o :

Liverpool :D 26Blackburn24Hull City24Newcastle24Chelsea13Aston Villa23Bolton23West Ham Utd13Arsenal13Everton23Middlesbrough23Sunderland23Stoke City23Man Utd11Fulham10Wigan Athletic10Man City10Tottenham20WBA20Portsmouth10

On that performance, you'll win bugger all again.

Great strike from Gerrard though.

Paul Hassall interview with Robbie Keane after last nights game :

KEANE: WINNING ALL THAT MATTERED

keane-home-s1.jpgRobbie Keane believes Liverpool have developed a knack for winning ugly that could prove vital in their quest for the Barclays Premier League title. The Ireland international admits the 2-1 victory over Middlesbrough on Saturday was hardly vintage stuff from Rafael Benitez's side - but feels they have now developed a winning habit that will see them go from strength to strength once they do start firing on all-cylinders.

"Football is about winning, it doesn't matter how well you play so long as you come off the pitch having picked up the points," he said in an exclusive interview with Liverpoolfc.tv.

"When you don't play as well as you know you can but you are still getting results then that is a sign of a good team. When we do start playing well we're confident we'll keep getting the points on the board to make sure we are in the mix at the top of the table."

The Reds had looked on the verge of a frustrating 1-0 defeat against Gareth Southgate's side after Mido's 25 yard stunner put the visitors in the driving seat with just 20 minutes remaining.

However, two goals in the last five minutes from the home-grown duo of Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard turned the game on its head and gave Liverpool a hard fought victory.

The sight of Carra racing away in celebration of a match saving strike has become something of a collectors' item over the years and Keane believes the defender is right to claim the goal, despite seeing his long range effort take a huge deflection off 'Boro' defender Emanuel Pogatetz.

"Well if I'd had the shot I'd be claiming it that's for sure," he said.

"It was on target so once you've got the strike on target that's all that matters. Who knows whether it would have gone in directly, but it was very important that we got that goal at that moment and it set us up nicely for a late charge with Stevie once again coming up with a great goal."

On a personal note, the match was also significant for being Keane's first competitive match at Anfield and while he admits it was a special moment for him, he insists it would have meant nothing if Liverpool had not ended the afternoon with three valuable points.

"It was nice to play my first competitive game at Anfield but at the end of the day the most important thing was to win," he said.

"It doesn't matter whether it's my first game here or not, it's about winning and I've settled in well now so the match was all about getting three points on the board and we managed to do that.

"It was a frustrating game but they made it hard for us and you have to give credit to Middlesbrough. A lot of teams are going to come to Anfield and make it hard for us and get people behind the ball and that's what they did.

"They caught us on the break and it was a good strike from Mido, but I thought we showed a lot of character to get back into the game. That's what top teams do and we showed that desire with the two late goals."

In a match of few clear-cut chances Keane rarely looked like breaking his duck for the Reds against 'Boro'.

It is something that he insists he is unfazed by and instead felt the match provided further evidence that his partnership with Fernando Torres is beginning to show signs of fulfilling its mouthwatering potential.

"I think we worked well today and I really enjoyed the game," he said.

"Obviously winning the match makes you happy but in terms of how we linked up I thought we played well together and hopefully there will be more to come from us as a strike partnership.

"I'm not too concerned about getting that first goal. People keep going on about it and seem more bothered about it than me. I know it'll come and as long as the team is winning that's the most important thing for everyone involved."

The Reds now turn their attention to Wednesday's Champions League qualifier at home to Standard Liege with Keane eager to ensure his first season with the club is blessed by another catalogue of great European occasions.

"We've got two wins out of two in the league and that's all you can ask for," he said.

"Now we will look ahead to Wednesday game against Liege and we know how important it is to make sure we get into the Group stages.

"I'm looking forward to being able to play here on a European night and hopefully we will progress and there will be more of those nights to come."

REDS AGREE FEE FOR RIERA

Liverpool and Espanyol have agreed a fee for winger Albert Riera in excess of £8million, according to reports on Tuesday afternoon.

The Liverpool Echo claims the two clubs have agreed a compromise fee - reported elsewhere to be £8.2m - after the Spaniard made it clear that he was only interested in moving to the red half of Merseyside.

Everton have also apparently bid for Riera but despite a higher offer, they have seemingly failed in their move for the left-sided player.

Riera will now need to agree terms with Liverpool and pass a medical but he could be a Reds player in time for Sunday's clash with Aston Villa.

Sporting Life

Edited by The Vulcan

Alan Hansen recently highlighted our need for wingers and I feel that unless Rafa looks at this department we are falling short.

I referred to this obvious shortcoming some time back and it was blatantly obvious last night and in our 2 EPL "victories". Too much pumping long balls down the middle hoping Torres will latch on to them.

I withdraw my reservations about Reina! :o 4 games in succession he's been the difference.

Now Stevie G out for 2 weeks and the Man U game looming! :D

On the positive side we're in the main draw now and (hopefully) Rafa will see the failings.

Stay tuned for Berbatov vs. Keane. I doubt Torres will be fit to play against United. Perhaps this next match it can be Keane up front with a 5-man midfield. Debut for Riera? Is Pennant still with us? He can't even get on the bench? His career is going nowhere at Liverpool, it has to be said.

Stay tuned for Berbatov vs. Keane. I doubt Torres will be fit to play against United. Perhaps this next match it can be Keane up front with a 5-man midfield. Debut for Riera? Is Pennant still with us? He can't even get on the bench? His career is going nowhere at Liverpool, it has to be said.

What's the word on Steven G. is he going to be fit for the Man U game ? and without Torres, you might be lacking a bit of bite, though I don't suppose is a leaseback arrangement for Peter Crouch on the cards is it ?

:o

Stevie, you guys gonna play 5 across the middle again and try to put not only the fans again, but United asleep next weekend?

in torres' absence? absofuc_kinglutely. games against the glams are invariably tight as a gnat's chuff anyway, won and lost on individual mistakes. i see no change coming to that, so we'll line up tight as &lt;deleted&gt;. i'd actually prefer us to approach it as a home champions league game where we go out and batter the opponent for the first twenty looking to nick the first goal, because if we don't score first against the mancs then we'll lose the game.

we may yet also be without mascherano and lucas who have world cup qualifiers for argentina and brasil on the thursday morning UK time. :o

Stevie, you guys gonna play 5 across the middle again and try to put not only the fans again, but United asleep next weekend?

in torres' absence? absofuc_kinglutely. games against the glams are invariably tight as a gnat's chuff anyway, won and lost on individual mistakes. i see no change coming to that, so we'll line up tight as &lt;deleted&gt;. i'd actually prefer us to approach it as a home champions league game where we go out and batter the opponent for the first twenty looking to nick the first goal, because if we don't score first against the mancs then we'll lose the game.

we may yet also be without mascherano and lucas who have world cup qualifiers for argentina and brasil on the thursday morning UK time. :o

As a fan of the game zzzzzz, this approach will only see you lose by 1 or 2 goals but I understand Rafa's mentality. Hope it's an early game cause I don't want to stay up till 2am to watch another bore fest like you guys displayed last week.

Actually would have preferred if Torres was playing.