Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

we deserved to win that match, arsenal played really well but we were still the better side. annoying.

I would tend to agree although this business of "deserving to win" is a funny one.

Not specifically pointing any fingers, but there seem to be those who rigidly and strictly adhere to the principle of "the team who scored the most goals must be the team that deserves to win", and throw that principle in the face of anyone who dares suggest otherwise... right up until the moment it happens to be their team out-playing another team and coming away with zip.

• Like 1

we deserved to win that match, arsenal played really well but we were still the better side. annoying.

I would tend to agree although this business of "deserving to win" is a funny one.

Not specifically pointing any fingers, but there seem to be those who rigidly and strictly adhere to the principle of "the team who scored the most goals must be the team that deserves to win", and throw that principle in the face of anyone who dares suggest otherwise... right up until the moment it happens to be their team out-playing another team and coming away with zip.

it's as funny as you want to make it. arsenal played really well. we played better than them. and we were playing 12 men into the bargain.

it's as funny as you want to make it. arsenal played really well. we played better than them. and we were playing 12 men into the bargain.

Oh please don't blame the crap ref, he was completely crap, not one-sided. The first penalty was more Suarez theatrics. He should have sent Gerrard off, and it wasn't him that missed an open goal in the dying minutes, let's face it.

Edited by Chicog

If Suarez hadn't done the Robin Cousins he might have got a pen there. The cock.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There's no law that says you can't fall doing a double pike with 3.5 degree of difficulty, if you want.

The point is, was it a foul or wasn't it? The rest is really (should be) irrelevant.

IMO it was a foul and therefore a penalty.

• Like 1

Oh please don't blame the crap ref, he was completely crap, not one-sided. The first penalty was more Suarez theatrics. He should have sent Gerrard off, and it wasn't him that missed an open goal in the dying minutes, let's face it.

balls. you're as bad as webb, playing the player not the incident. the first penalty was stonewall, the second even more blatant. monreal should have been sent off for trying to break joe allen's leg, podolski could have had three or four yellows in the first half. don't give me that "he was crap for both sides" based on one gerrard incident.

• Like 2

The funny thing wasn't to do with this game, but rather the way in which whenever my team plays better than the opposition but comes away with nothing, every man and his dog seem to come scurrying from the woodwork all repeating some mantra about the best team being the team that scored the most goals and all arguing how can your team have deserved to win when your team scored less goals than the other team.

It's an annoying argument for them to make, not least because I know that in a week or two's time, chances are they'll have experienced something similar with their own teams having played better than the opposition and lost, and suddenly the mantra I mentioned above will be out the window and forgotten.

Just a personal gripe. Ignore me.

For the neutral I thought it was by far the best game of the season.Did the ref make a mistake ? possibly, but to accuse him of being a "cheat", which is what some are saying is a bit rich.

Hardly the first game in history where a decision was made and was questionable,hardly the first game where a team "maybe" deserved to win and didn't,get over it.

I thought the 2 keepers had absolute blinders.

• Like 1

I don't know who comes out with that.

Bottom line is you win or you lose. If you've had your chances in a game and missed them, that's down to you.

e.g. Last night most of Suarez' shots could not have been more accurately aimed at Flappyanski if he tried.

biggrin.png

Liverpool are out of the FA Cup because 'weak' Webb refused to award clear penalty

Webb had a clear view of the incident but somehow managed to wave appeals away. Perhaps it was the theatrical way that Suarez went down or his reputation which made England's leading referee hesitate.

One other factor could have been that he had only just given Liverpool one penalty for a much 'softer' foul. I know that, perhaps illogically, that is a factor.

However, Webb was correct to give the first one and therefore his confidence should have been high.

GRAHAM POLL

Liverpool are out of the FA Cup because 'weak' Webb refused to award clear penalty

Webb had a clear view of the incident but somehow managed to wave appeals away. Perhaps it was the theatrical way that Suarez went down or his reputation which made England's leading referee hesitate.

One other factor could have been that he had only just given Liverpool one penalty for a much 'softer' foul. I know that, perhaps illogically, that is a factor.

However, Webb was correct to give the first one and therefore his confidence should have been high.

GRAHAM POLL

The same Graham Poll who booked a player three times and signed more autographs at games than the manager and the players. The old saying "You don't notice the best referees" never applied to that a-hole.

Total waste of space, and his opinion is essentially worthless chunter for a brain dead Daily Mule audience.

I wouldn't be surprised if Webb gives him a cheeky Glasgow kiss the next time they meet, for writing a load of hypercritical drivel.

Let's focus on how Suarez reacted to the foul by Oxtail-Chambermaid, eh?

I still maintain that if he'd simply gone to ground he would have been awarded a penalty.

After all, why would he need to do the full Chris Snode it was a clear foul? I have no doubt that Webb saw it as play-acting and decided he was being conned.

And Suarez has no-one but himself to blame, it's not a question of "Give a dog a bad name", he's earned it fair and square. His reputation started when he made a fantastic save against Ghana in the World Cup.

I'm afraid many of the referees know he cheats, and thus antics like that result in him not being taken seriously when he doesn't.

Which is a shame because (apart from last night), he's a deadly striker and doesn't need to do it.

GRAHAM POLL

I still maintain that if he'd simply gone to ground he would have been awarded a penalty.

After all, why would he need to do the full Chris Snode it was a clear foul? I have no doubt that Webb saw it as play-acting and decided he was being conned.

You are probably right but whether or not he embellished it. the point is did Howard Webb see a foul? If he saw a foul (the same as millions of others) then I don't see how Suarez can con him?

If he did not see the foul, then fair enough.

Edited by uptheos

Poor Chicogs been fishing all day & not had a bite!wink.png

Because for the most part, what he has been saying has been true. I do disagree with him with regards the concept that the only team in a game that deserves to win is the team that scores the most goals. There are occasions when for one reason or another, be it absurdly unjust refereeing, or be it simply bad misfortune in the case of one side, good luck in the case of the other, when the team that loses does deserve more from the game. And i think Liverpool, with the way they played, did deserve to get something more.

But where i do agree with him is that to place so much of the blame for the loss on the referee is daft. Yes, the referee did get some decisions wrong, but it wasn't all one-sided, and Liverpool's fate was still well within their own hands. He's also right regarding Suarez. Earlier in the season we were denied a pretty clear late penalty that would have swung the game. Why were we denied it? Because Ashley Young was the person fouled. And what i said at the time was, he only has himself to blame. If you keep crying wolf, people end up not believing you when you really do see one. OK, Suarez has cleaned up his game admirably this season, and i think has impressed everybody with not only his character turn around, but the way he has played. Best player in the league by some chalk. But what we saw the other night was flashes of his old self. Why was he doing it? It just looked stupid. Going through all the theatrics, feigning agonizing pain, and then beaming from ear to ear as he got back to his feet, presumably laughing in the face of the injustice he feels he's been subjected to. Sad.

GRAHAM POLL

Clear penalty. Astonishing that he didn't give especially baring in mind he had a clear view. He'd just given one and he basically bottled it is how i saw it.

Is he really the best we can come up with to send to the world cup?!

^ I don't see many people on here saying we didn't wn the game because of the referee., just a lot of fans not happy with Webb's refereeing of the match and his apparent consistency when refereeing Liverpool matches.

Also Suarez piroet is moot! It was an obvious foul, not a con, not a bluff, not marginal to have to think about someone's previous.

To be honest I couldn't give a sh$tt, this weekend's match is much more important

correct, i'm not blaming webb for us not winning the match. we had enough chances to do so, should have done, were the better side and didn't deserve to go out. aside from webb being an incompetent referee who makes every match about himself, there's also the fact that he now works 10 hours a week again for the south yorkshire police force. you know, the one that the hillsborough families are still going to court about, the one that still accuses the hillsborough victims and their families of all sorts of vile stuff. so liverpool aren't allowed to have matches refereed by a man who happens to live on the wirral - mike dean - but they are allowed to have a serving member of the south yorkshire police force who began working there in 1989. not saying this from any conspiracy standpoint before anyone leaps, but just from a respect and sensitivity point of view. i find it odd.

and also correct, suarez was blatantly fouled, end of. same as he was at chelsea. but webb doesn't have to explain what he uniquely saw that hundreds of thousands of other people with eyes missed, does he?

• Like 2

GRAHAM POLL

Clear penalty. Astonishing that he didn't give especially baring in mind he had a clear view. He'd just given one and he basically bottled it is how i saw it.

Is he really the best we can come up with to send to the world cup?!

In fairness, his angle is shown above. I would have thought the assistant ref would have been better placed to see that it was a foul.

and also correct, suarez was blatantly fouled, end of. same as he was at chelsea. but webb doesn't have to explain what he uniquely saw that hundreds of thousands of other people with eyes missed, does he?

It's not quite "end of" though, because as others have said, if it weren't for the theatrics he added on, the decision would have been a much simpler one for the ref. By hamming it up as he did, suddenly the ref has a question mark in his mind as to whether or not he is being conned. Tricky enough as it is to ascertain that, but especially so when you are dealing with a player with his previous.

Last few days all i've been hearing from Liverpool supporters is how unfair it is and how refs should simply judge each incident as it is, without any consideration of a player's history. It's a fair enough point, but one that is hard to take too seriously considering the overwhelming stench of hypocrisy that goes along with it. These are the same supporters who would all, to a man, have laughed at Ashley Young not being awarded a penalty when he was rightly due one, and would have all happily taunted, "well that's what you get for being a cheating struggle and grunt... serves the <deleted> right". Whole different story when it's their own struggle and grunt on the receiving end though, isn't it.

No sympathy for Ashley Young. No sympathy for Suarez. Built rods for their own backs, and now paying the price.

• Like 1

Just curious, did Webb see the foul that should have seen Gerrard off? And was he responsible for the two goals Liverpool conceded?

Yes and Gerrard was on a yellow wasn't he. Should have gone. Overall an absolute shocker of a game for Webb.

Ofcourse the bright side for Liverpool is that they can now focus all their attention now on top four.

Poor Chicogs been fishing all day & not had a bite!wink.png

So you have nothing to offer in response then.

Yes .I agree entirely with what Stevie H & bangrakbob have written above,they also mirror the views of many ,if not all the Liverpool fans I know & have spoken to about the match.