Sukhumvit Soi 11 Is Not Fun Anymore

supashot

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when on the islands, i am plain silly.

i like soi 11, it can take me hours to walk home from the mouth of the soi.

hours.

I enjoy it as well....its a place I can take my gf....for dinner...drinks....bit of music on occasion too.

There are better places....but few with such a concentration of choices.

I just wish it opened later is all.

I like soi 11

I elaborate:

I love the German Beer place with wonderful Erdinger Weiss draft

I love the Thai garden with live jazz

I love the President Solitaire Suite hotel where I always go when in BKK

I love the small soi with Mexican, tapas and many more nice small restaurants

Nice night life

It's close to Nana BTS

There is a Villa Market

something more I forgot

Good to know that I don't have to go as far as Soi 33 for a Villa Market.

I love jazz, too.

Weissbier (white beer), that's a beer using wheat (German: Weizen) instead of hops. Never acquired a taste for it, but it is something quite special for those who like it. Got introduced to it in Bavaria by a Lufthansa pilot.

• Like 2

of the ops comments, these 2 stand out:

I miss the great parties in Bangkok not so long ago, where people had real fun, clubs were open late without the cops knocking at the door randomly to shut down it.

>

-Over saturated of noisy pubs opening and closing since I come in Bangkok more than 10 years ago.

it would seem to me that the OP has been overcome with a sort of nostalgia, and is blaming the soi rather than the fact that he is aging.

Of course the parties were better 10 years ago. As i recall, everything was better 10 years ago, or at least very different -- as were my priorities.

i suspect the OP has been afflicted with peter pan syndrome, while those around him grew up.

PPS? I don't think so, I'm sorry I don't need to pay to be with a girl, never did never will. It's not priorities, it's my own principes. I don't phantasm every time a girl pass by with fake books or a mini skirt (with a short under).

Oh, and not so long ago,within that era of love you hark back to, Purachai was shutting soi 11 down at 12:30 am sharp, drug dealers were being executed in the streets, and being in a club meant you had a 50/50 chance of pissing in a cup.

Wow, drug dealers executed in soi 11, and piss test? I saw twice a piss test since I've been here. And frankly you shouldn't fear them if you're clean.

Obviously God give men a brain and a penis but not enough blood to go to both at the same time.

Edited by supashot

I like soi 11

I elaborate:

Nice night life

It's close to Nana BTS

There is a Villa Market

something more I forgot

Good to know that I don't have to go as far as Soi 33 for a Villa Market.

I love jazz, too.

Weissbier (white beer), that's a beer using wheat (German: Weizen) instead of hops. Never acquired a taste for it, but it is something quite special for those who like it. Got introduced to it in Bavaria by a Lufthansa pilot.

It's actually wheat beer not white beer. The word weiss and weiz sound very similar. The cloudy "white" hue also adds to this.

The OP harks back to 10 years ago. All things change. As we get older we're not always so comfortable with the changes and remember the good times from the past. There's plenty of places to choose from in Bangkok if you don't like one particular area.

Soi 11 is good for a change. Take it for what it is now. It's character will change again soon enough.

OP nothing's changed, you're just 10 years older and by the sounds of it wanting to be 10 years younger.

Perhaps the OP could take his business 'expertise' to Saudi, no pesky Soi 11's there for him to whinge about.

its just a soi in Bangkok full of young ladies that sell sex for money.

lol, you are being redundant

Sorry you'll have to explain that, i'm english

1. It's a soi in BKK

2. There are young ladies within who would sell themselves for money.

1 necessarily leads to 2, so saying 2 is unnecessary thus redundant.

Sorry about you being English; I wish I could help but alas...

whistling.gif

I miss the great parties in Bangkok not so long ago, where people had real fun, clubs were open late without the cops knocking at the door randomly to shut down it.

Where is this little craziness? Sad to see that soi 11 is contaminating other soi and becoming a gross junkyard while there are so many other areas to discover in Bangkok.

Please why wait, enlighten us to the untold wonders that await!!!!

I like soi 11

I elaborate:

Nice night life

It's close to Nana BTS

There is a Villa Market

something more I forgot

yes, like the beer garden too. Though not been for about 2 years, i didn't find it that bad

of the ops comments, these 2 stand out:

&gt

;

-Over saturated of noisy pubs opening and closing since I come in Bangkok more than 10 years ago.

lockquote>

it would seem to me that the OP has been overcome with a sort of nostalgia, and is blaming the soi rather than the fact that he is aging.

Of course the parties were better 10 years ago. As i recall, everything was better 10 years ago, or at least very different -- as were my priorities.

i suspect the OP has been afflicted with peter pan syndrome, while those around him grew up.

PPS? I don't think so, I'm sorry I don't need to pay to be with a girl, never did never will. It's not priorities, it's my own principes. I don't phantasm every time a girl pass by with fake books or a mini skirt (with a short under).

wow, drug dealers executed in soi 11, and piss test? I saw twice a piss test since I've been here. And frankly you shouldn't fear them if you're clean.

Oh, and not so long ago,within that era of love you hark back to, Purachai was shutting soi 11 down at 12:30 am sharp, drug dealers were being executed in the streets, and being in a club meant you had a 50/50 chance of pissing in a cup.

Obviously God give men a brain and a penis but not enough blood to go to both at the same time.

Now you are being obtuse, i was talking about the social order campaign and the war on drugs in general.

As for piss testing, while the clean certainly had nothing to fear, the inconvenience of being held for hours while they processed all of Q Bar was beyond irritating, though better than being rounded up from a privat house party, ferried to Lumpini, and held there until your test was complete.

my point is the better days of 10 years ago were not without their own pitfalls

I like soi 11

I elaborate:

Nice night life

It's close to Nana BTS

There is a Villa Market

something more I forgot

I agree with the above plus:

Limoncello and Pomodoro Italian Restaurants

Australia Pub for AFL and Rugby, some good music too (but don't order the red wine)

Cheap Charlies (don't go there if you don't like cheap Charlies)

No "working girls" at the above 3 and the places listed in the previous post if that's what you prefer

Walk up to Sukhumvit for a cheaper taxi - but nowhere cheap after midnight.

• Like 1

Like a couple of readers here I too live on Soi Eleven. I appreciate the convenience of walking to restaurants (OSKAR as my #1), and to see familiar faces on sub Soi 11(Cheap Charlie).

However, I agree with the OP. I've seen a bit of a decline in the past 12 months, too many street vendors, too many bars on wheels". The taxi sharks even more aggressive, the traffic after 8pm becomes so heavy they should just make street a walking soi.

I've also noticed an increase of "bar flies" in the area but only in two bars near the Australian I can't remember the names.

As to the annoying/sleezy massage girls they seem to hang by Villa Market. If only the massge parlors could all be like Raintree!

Lastly, I wish the street bars could be prohibited. However, with all the building's renovation and new construction going on, I'm hopeful we'll soon see a cleaner soi 11 with better kept sidewalks.

Hasn't soi 11 been 'out of fashion' for quite some time now?

So why so many new places opened in the last 12 months?

>I don't really see the point of the post. If you don't like soi 11 don't go there. Leave it to people who do enjoy it.

The point is to share opinions with ppl who live in Bangkok, thats why it's called "forum" here.

You are correct,

they try and try to make this street into some High So street, but what it has become is exactly what you described in the OP.

It has become a cesspit.

One can not even get a taxi from one of the bigger hotels without being forced to over pay 300%.

The members who say it has always been like that, should go back, or pass it just once in a while to update themselves.

One of my old time fav bars (for 13 years) is located in this street, so I'm there once in a while, and clearly see the changes basically from month to month.

• Like 1

I like soi 11

I elaborate:

Nice night life

It's close to Nana BTS

There is a Villa Market

something more I forgot

I agree with the above plus:

Limoncello and Pomodoro Italian Restaurants

Australia Pub for AFL and Rugby, some good music too (but don't order the red wine)

Cheap Charlies (don't go there if you don't like cheap Charlies)

No "working girls" at the above 3 and the places listed in the previous post if that's what you prefer

Walk up to Sukhumvit for a cheaper taxi - but nowhere cheap after midnight.

hahaha, funny.

The places described are exactly where foreigners go with their "temporary girlfriends" when they go out.

Especially Aussie pub, German, Limon, and Pomo.

• Like 1

>I don't really see the point of the post. If you don't like soi 11 don't go there. Leave it to people who do enj

oy it.

The point is to share opinions with ppl who live in Bangkok, thats why it's called "forum" here.

You are correct,

they try and try to make this street into some High So street, but what it has become is exactly what you described in the OP.

It has become a cesspit.

One can not even get a taxi from one of the bigger hotels without being forced to over pay 300%.

The members who say it has always been like that, should go back, or pass it just once in a while to update themselves.

One of my old time fav bars (for 13 years) is located in this street, so I'm there once in a while, and clearly see the changes basically from month to month.

utter <deleted>, i take taxis EVERY DAY from 11, and most certainly do not pay 300 baht for the privilege. in fact i rarely have issues at all unless my destination is somewhere obscure

I have lived on 11 for over 15 years and while it changes rapidly, most change has been an improvement.

the only downside is traffic when the clubs empty out or on weekend nights.

• Like 2

Hi there,

On some parts i agree with you. What i really dislike is all these Indian restaurants and tailor shops (many open in the last 5 years). I really despise these people and their lack of manners.

What i like the best on soi 11 is the old and famous Cheap Charlies, and that small back soi on the left of CC with full of nice restaurants (the Spanish and the French one especially). Soi 11 is still fun but i just wish we could get rid of these taxis and Indians.

By the way, have you been recently to the soi 7/1? it did chage so much in the last 6 months !!!! still a weird place but much more clean than it used to be.

>I don't really see the point of the post. If you don't like soi 11 don't go there. Leave it to people who do enj

oy it.

You are correct,

It has become a cesspit.

utter <deleted>, i take taxis EVERY DAY from 11, and most certainly do not pay 300 baht for the privilege. in fact i rarely have issues at all unless my destination is somewhere obscure

I have lived on 11 for over 15 years and while it changes rapidly, most change has been an improvement.

the only downside is traffic when the clubs empty out or on weekend nights.

He mentioned the hotel taxi mafia, big difference.

I love Sukhumvit full stop. It’s a great place; I don’t need to go anywhere else when I come to Bkk. And you will always find what you need.

Maybe you’re getting to old. wink.png

Only kidding.. But complaining isn’t going to get you anywhere or change anything, just get on with it and try find a new place..

Hi there,

On some parts i agree with you. What i really dislike is all these Indian restaurants and tailor shops (many open in the last 5 years). I really despise these people and their lack of manners.

What i like the best on soi 11 is the old and famous Cheap Charlies, and that small back soi on the left of CC with full of nice restaurants (the Spanish and the French one especially). Soi 11 is still fun but i just wish we could get rid of these taxis and Indians.

By the way, have you been recently to the soi 7/1? it did chage so much in the last 6 months !!!! still a weird place but much more clean than it used to be.

What's wrong with Indian restaurants?

• Like 1

I think Soi 11 changes from season to season as well. Depending on what kind of tourists go there. Summer season attracts more holiday makers, brits, french, italiens. Winter season more back backers, scandinavians.

The number of street bars are quite horrible. That along with the taxis in a constant queue want to take you too either Insomnia or eg. Spicy. "Take me home?".. Noway, unless you try to tempt them with a couple hundred.

- Bed Supper is still quite the same as always

- Qbar is quiet at the mo, but is heavily advertising

- Bash.. no comment

- Levels has become very popular indeed, but is now so full of working girls that for me personally is on my no-list.

- The nest. Nice rooftop for a date, especially in the winter season. Can be too quiet though

Like a couple of readers here I too live on Soi Eleven. I appreciate the convenience of walking to restaurants (OSKAR as my #1), and to see familiar faces on sub Soi 11(Cheap Charlie).

However, I agree with the OP. I've seen a bit of a decline in the past 12 months, too many street vendors, too many bars on wheels". The taxi sharks even more aggressive, the traffic after 8pm becomes so heavy they should just make street a walking soi.

I've also noticed an increase of "bar flies" in the area but only in two bars near the Australian I can't remember the names.

As to the annoying/sleezy massage girls they seem to hang by Villa Market. If only the massge parlors could all be like Raintree!

Lastly, I wish the street bars could be prohibited. However, with all the building's renovation and new construction going on, I'm hopeful we'll soon see a cleaner soi 11 with better kept sidewalks.

i will agree with some of what you say, especially the massage skanks at Villa, but when i am of a mind to go out i dont mind the madness, and when i am at home, the end of the soi is actually pretty quiet.