Sukhumvit Soi 11 Is Not Fun Anymore

supashot

.I went once to the new diso at Aloft hotel. Very nicely designed place. Was hoping to actually see a moderate % of middle class or higher thai gals BUT the place was overflowing with standard Nana girls perhaps dressed a bit better.

Soi 11 is in the heart of Nana so this is not a surprise. Everything the OP says is consistent with Nana area.

You're talking about Levels and you're right, it is full of prostitutes.

The thing is, though, Levels is taking the likes of Q Bar and, to some extent, Bed Supperclub to the cleaners in terms of customer numbers.

Q Bar is struggling for any number of reasons; It doesn't impose restrictions on ladyboy numbers, it's drinks are seriously watered down and expensive (260 baht for a single shot and mixer), dodgy, seedy old men trawling for roadkill hookers, its location and its dreadful decor. It's at the point now where it's offering free entry and 2 or 3 free drinks to hooke . . . oops, sorry . . . "ladies" in an effort to provide more eye candy for high-spending, bottle-service sex tourists.

Whatever your feelings about Levels, the management do know how to run a club. They've got the location, the size, the decor and a younger, fresher crowd looking to party in much the same way they do back in Europe and other more sophisticated cities. They actually have queues to get in. They don't have a cover charge, the drinks aren't watered down and, because the place is big enough to avoid being too close to the Western whore-mongers, you'll actually see quite a lot of young, middle class, professional Thai people in there too.

Bed Supperclub is a genuine club and although they do bring some very good international DJs to BKK, they also charge upwards of 700 baht to get in. As I said before, BKK is not a destination for real clubbers - people don't come here for quality music; they come here to get smashed and to have sex with a prostitute.

smile.png

Quality music sounds even better after sex so I’ve basically given up on clubbing and instead put on my headset and wiggle my toes while the tart next to me sleeps it off ,dreaming of her next catch.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So where do you stay Mister Thai?

-Riverside have 1000's of local bars and restaurant. River view guest house (doesn't look like a guest house) with a amazing 180 degres view on the river: http://www.riverviewbkk.com/Photos_Gallery.html

-Chinatown where you can lost and discover bunch of bar or restaurants an night and my old time favorite chill out at the Oriental.

-Rajameri: Fabella (http://www.fallabellabangkok.com) , Winebridge plus(http://www.winebridgeplus.com).

-Muse Hotel: Speak Easy on the 25th floor. http://www.hotelmusebangkok.com/restaurants/speakeasy/

-Sofitel so at Park Society bar: http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-6835-sofitel-so-bangkok/bar.shtml

-Wong's place: http://travel.cnn.com/bangkok/drink/story-wongs-place-bangkoks-favorite-dive-bar-723943

-Maldive in Huaykwan: http://www.maldives-resortbar.com

-Night market in Rachada have bunch of great food and pubs.

-Thong lor: Mellow, SheBar, Funky Villa, Iron Fairies.

-Ekkamai: Tuba

I could continue the list for days.

People mentioned boiler rooms own club, I was just looking on google: boiler room sukhumvit soi 11. I don't know if true or not but quiet scary if those are true, many names and venus are mentioned. I heard that many place got took over in soi 11, that would explain the change for the past 12 months. Basically boiler room are just massive scammers stealing people money on fake investments?

I don't get why would someone live in a tourist area (of bkk), unless he's a tourist ofc.

There are much nicer places to live, 10 minutes away from soi 11/nana by bts.

There is no:

- Rip off tuk tuk drivers

- Rip off taxi drivers

- Working girls (though, I wouldn't mind !)

- Beggars

Flats are cheap(compared to anything in nana), Food is cheap and the same or better. Drinks are a lot cheaper. It's not dirty as much. Not crawling with packs of young just-arrived for the first time tourists getting drunk, packs of people trying to sell drugs to you/scam you.. and all those other things that make tourist areas what they are. Tourist area. Get in get out.

I would go mad if I stayed there for more then couple of hours at night time.

Where do you prefer 10 minutes away? Genuine question, may be spending a few months in BKK

there are virtually no tourists my end of 11. I suspect you have an opinion of the soi having ventured no further than 50% up it.

as regards your question:

-central location

-proximity to sky train

-variety of pubs/clubs/bars within a short walk

-2 grocery stores within walking distance

-ability to get anything i want day or night

-ability to get a taxi in under 5 mins day or night

-atmosphere

-large garden

-2 bedroom house

-ability to meet attractive foreign women

-variety of restaurants

-excellent pizza

-excellent thai food

-excellent fish and chips (snappers)

- decent tapas

-decent german

-good pool tables

-proximity to schools

-excellent community of vendors and motorcycle people

-NO stray dogs

-low crime rate (not heard of a burglary in the area in 15 years)

-vast choice of hotels for visiting friends to stay in

-proximity to excellent middle eastern food

-choice of three hotel swimming pools i can use with my gym membership (not telling where)

-free grocery delivery

thats just a few of my reasons

How much do you pay down there?

i havent been in qbar for at least a year now, but since they sold out to boiler room money, i have heard some very negative reports.

Yeah boiler room money is all over Sukhumwit.

Soi 11's Mulligan's, Bash, Q Bar, the Australian Pub and Insanity on soi 12 all have boiler room funding floating around in the background somewhere so it's no real surprise to hear they don't have much imagination for runing real businesses.

Most of the sites you're mentioning above seem to have a common ownership/management element, which might come as a surprise to many considering the breadth and number of different and familiar places that are all within the same group, including QBar.

post-58284-0-54733500-1367163770_thumb.j

post-58284-0-66858800-1367163787_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

there are virtually no tourists my end of 11. I suspect you have an opinion of the soi having ventured no further than 50% up it.

-central location

-proximity to sky train

-atmosphere

-large garden

-2 bedroom house

...snip...

2wimming pools i can use with my gym membership (not telling where)

-free grocery delivery

you wouldnt believe me if i told you

@ candypants

What other negative reports have you heard about it?

My gripe is with the drinks bacause, like you, I remember drinks being strong enough to strip paint.

Sure, they were more expensive than other places but you very much got your money's worth.

I find Bash is pretty much the same in terms of alcohol stingyness. Probably owned by the same people

If you want a decent cocktail head to the Dream hotel between 5 and 9pm....two for one and very very good....

-central location

-proximity to sky train

-atmosphere

-large garden

-2 bedroom house

...snip...

-free grocery delivery

Try us.

You name them ;-)
Oh, do you mean it's like any other soi?

Bangkok is not only Sukhumvit, many other areas can be discovered everyday. I guess you know that already.

Then frickin' go there and stop the whining about soi 11.

• Like 1

-central location

-proximity to sky train

-atmosphere

-large garden

-2 bedroom house

...snip...

-free grocery delivery

Try us.

it is rude to even ask.

suffice to say i have been in the same place for about 15 years now, and have never had a rent increase, though if they were to double my rent it would still be very reasonable.

The owners have probably died and forgotten about you.

Prepare for squatters rights.

If you would like me to assist, just ask.

The value of the land there would be well under utilised by the sounds of it with no return to the owners. Shame on you.

i havent been in qbar for at least a year now, but since they sold out to boiler room money, i have heard some very negative reports.

Soi 11's Mulligan's, Bash, Q Bar, the Australian Pub and Insanity on soi 12 all have boiler room funding floating around in the background somewhere so it's no real surprise to hear they don't have much imagination for runing real businesses.

Most of the sites you're mentioning above seem to have a common ownership/management element, which might come as a surprise to many considering the breadth and number of different and familiar places that are all within the same group, including QBar.

attachicon.gifPS0807.jpg

attachicon.gifPS0805.jpg

Evidently, crime does pay . . . and very well too.

Having said that, the Coyote restaurant just round the corner from soi 33 on Sukhumvit shut recently (crap food, primadonna staff) and, considering the rate at which Q Bar is giving drinks away to freelancers, it might not be too long before Q Bar follows suit.

• Like 2

attachicon.gifPS0807.jpg

attachicon.gifPS0805.jpg

Having said that, the Coyote restaurant just round the corner from soi 33 on Sukhumvit shut recently (crap food, primadonna staff) and, considering the rate at which Q Bar is giving drinks away to freelancers, it might not be too long before Q Bar follows suit.

It might be nice if word got out and every associated business went broke.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifPS0807.jpg

attachicon.gifPS0805.jpg

It's interesting. I was doing some reading online over the past few days. Via a Google search, I couldn't find a single online article, for example, in the BKK Post on the Eclipse group. But there were quite a few mostly promotional business-oriented articles published by media outlets outside Thailand, such as in Hong Kong and Singapore, that profiled the company and its two original co-founders.

According to those articles, when there's the notion of opening a new restaurant or bar, Eclipse supposedly serves as the manager and operator. But "investors" are the ones who put up the capital to fund the opening of the operation. So in the case of BKK, it certainly would be interesting to know from who/where the investor funds are coming to bankroll those various BKK outlets.

There also was an article by Andrew Drummond last year that described the recent ownership and management changes for Nana Plaza. The mods won't allow the article to be linked here. But if you Google "Eclipse" and "FICO" and "Outlaws", as in the BKK branch of the motorcycle gang, it'll take you straight to that article. Have no idea if it's accurate or not, but it certainly makes for interesting reading.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

< < Deleted posts edited out of reply > >

@TallGuyJohninBKK

Very interesting article indeed. Just wondering why boiler rooms guys would need bikers gangs for that.

I also noticed that googling some well know managers of those clubs or clubs name with the word scam will lead to many site suchs as complaintsboard or other sites (fake or real, justified or not?)

The more I see answers in those posts the more I see it's getting touchy and irrigating to some users to say anything about soi 11.

I'm not surprised anymore that people don't get shocked by those growing bar on wheels, where the back of the customers almost touch the car driving thru. I won't even mention the fact that alcohols sold are not often the one displayed on the bottle, or even the basic hygiene rules totally forgotten.

Edited by metisdead

Go to a xxxxxx tourist / red light district and expect it to be good? I avoid Soi 11 and most of lower Sukhumvit at all costs.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that BKK will never be a credible destination for those looking for a genuine, quality clubbing experience. Don't get me wrong - it probably shouldn't be because there are plenty of cities in Asia where the nightclub scenes are perfectly decent even if they are if some way off approaching the standards set by cities in Europe and the UK.

Bangkok in general and Sukhumvit soi 11 in particular are what they are and, if like me, one finds it all a little crass and formulaic, there's always places like Glow on Sukhumvit soi 23, Bar23 on soi 16 and Tapas in Silom where the emphasis is placed on creating a less booze-fueled, hooker-saturated atmosphere.

Plenty of good nightlife in BKK IMO. Thong Lor, Ratchada, RCA, Ekkamai, Victory Monument, Banglumpoo, Ratchathewi etc. Next to no hookers, no pissed up farangs, no trouble.

Edited by TheSpade
Profanity
  • Like 1

Inflammatory posts and replies have been removed.

Other posts discussing racial slurs have been removed and has been noted previously:

I have altered the original post & deleted a paragraph which is against forum rules. I have subsequently cleaned up all posts including it in discussion.

Please be aware of the forum rules:

3) Not to post in a manner that is vulgar, obscene or profane.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

I like checking in on this thread.

My first time to BKK was spent in Soi 11 at the Grand President.

I loved the Aussie Pub and live music and the German beerhouse for food. It is central to reach many places easily and it has everything you want which is what some people have already said.

Everytime I head to Bangers I try and get down Soi 11 to see how things are and its mostly same same but different.

Keep the bitchin to another thread or even website and keep the Soi 11 thread fun.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Plenty of good nightlife in BKK IMO. Thong Lor, Ratchada, RCA, Ekkamai, Victory Monument, Banglumpoo, Ratchathewi etc. Next to no hookers, no pissed up farangs, no trouble.

I think it obviously depends whereabouts in Banglumphoo you are in terms of the volume of pissed up farang biggrin.png and hookers these days for that matter Edited by Razzler1973

So why so many new places opened in the last 12 months?

>I don't really see the point of the post. If you don't like soi 11 don't go there. Leave it to people who do enj

oy it.

The point is to share opinions with ppl who live in Bangkok, thats why it's called "forum" here.

You are correct,

they try and try to make this street into some High So street, but what it has become is exactly what you described in the OP.

It has become a cesspit.

One can not even get a taxi from one of the bigger hotels without being forced to over pay 300%.

The members who say it has always been like that, should go back, or pass it just once in a while to update themselves.

One of my old time fav bars (for 13 years) is located in this street, so I'm there once in a while, and clearly see the changes basically from month to month.

utter &lt;deleted&gt;, i take taxis EVERY DAY from 11, and most certainly do not pay 300 baht for the privilege. in fact i rarely have issues at all unless my destination is somewhere obscure

I have lived on 11 for over 15 years and while it changes rapidly, most change has been an improvement.

the only downside is traffic when the clubs empty out or on weekend nights.

He mentioned the hotel taxi mafia, big difference.

Indeed he did. However, I suspect Candy's experience is mainly day time based but does touch on the problem in the last line. As nearly everyone knows, trying to get a taxi out of soi 11 after around 11pm is almost impossible - I certainly have not even tried the last few years - for two reasons.

Firstly, the soi is so jammed with empty taxis that is can take 15-20mins just to get out (even the back way towards either soi 13 or soi 3).

Secondly, most taxis driver are only interested in taking foreigners to a nightclub which pays drivers a commission - the two main ones being either Climax for a quick 200 baht commission or Insanity for the 300-800 baht commission. Hence, anyone wishing to anywhere else is 95% of the time quoted an exorbitant non metered fare.

The obvious solution to this problem and to enhance the soi experience - especially for pedestrians - is to make the soi one way only (most likely north direction) a single traffic lane while converting the 2nd lane to a mixture of drop off zones, taxis zones and some parking. A no standing policy would have to be enforced for the single lane. This would also allow the sidewalk/footpath to be significantly widened either side. Such would probably also go towards what has been an attempt to make it a more 'upmarket' soi.

"Outlaws", as in the BKK branch of the motorcycle gang, it'll take you straight to that article. Have no idea if it's accurate or not, but it certainly makes for interesting reading.

Historically, bars and clubs were always a great place to start for higher level Army, Police & politicians to justify income that they 'somehow' made elsewhere. That word for cleaning your clothes. Typically, the ownership would be diverse on paper. Hence the reason why so many bars and clubs have over the decades done well and then suddenly closed down to be either re branded or be born elsewhere as a new business entity. (These days everyone is more into property companies)

Bars and clubs are an easy way to inflate income as one can easily make fake orders and there is no real inventory accountability for compliance authorities - a bottle can make 50 drinks or it might make 300 drinks. And for the military or police types the model was an integrated one by using soldiers or lower ranked police moonlighting as security and management.

These same types of venues have as everyone knows been used by Bikie gangs throughout the world for much the same purpose - see the huge amount of literature and case studies for people to read should they wish. The Outlaws have been raising and widening their profile in lower sukhumvit in the last few years - however perhaps a little too much. They basically took over Nana Liquid and used to party almost nightly at Las Vegas in Nana. However, I note that Nana Liquid was reportedly shut for a month prior to Songkhran and Las Vegas has recently closed down which is no mean feat in a place like Nana where even the shit holes reportedly turn decent numbers.

I was also at the opening night of Bash. The Outlaws undertook primary security roles for the night - something I found both surprising and distasteful. After a few weeks, they were less prominent. Prominence is fine if you keep everyone including your major competitors happy with regular payments and you play by the local rules. (And you never want to be too successful others the locals will take over).

It seems that something has recently gone astray and others associated with the Outlaws may get caught up in a nasty turf fight. Some of the Outlaws seemingly went out of town for a few weeks. I don't know enough but it is a definite wait and see.

The idea that anyone thinks of Soi 11 as a place for serious clubbing is a joke - albeit the odd, big name DJ playing at Bed aside. Many other venues elsewhere in BKK for that.

Bash is not getting the numbers it needs and most I know will not return as it is not living up to it's potential/claim. Now seemingly just another pick up venue for the lonely. I disagree with most on the Q Bar sentiment as I think that it has improved in the last few months with patently less sex workers and no cover charge - still doesn't pull crowds anything like it did 10+ years ago though. I actually have started going back there after a few years of avoiding it like the plague. I have to confess I really like newish Le Derriere room and the range of Absinthe on offer! Bed is of course still pretentious and more about being seen and paying through the nose than anything of real value. (Models night did always offer great eye candy whatever your gender or sexual persuasion - most of those nights seemingly always ended in small parties and near orgies at someones condo. Models being well....you know, models!)

Levels is a great venue and has the 3 distinct areas but never really seems to hit its potential. It waxes and wanes and is suffering from more ladies of the night frequenting - though the recent theme night concepts have been good. Oskar was nice but now seems to be a pick up venue for 30s night working women (who want to look classy drinking wine) seeking older, richer guys - sound familar?. Nest has become boring but the decor always appeals and the manager is a great guy. Above 11 is great and a constant gem. Apoteka is a great little venue with some decent live music on some nights.

More niche casual outdoor places like Cheap Charlies would be nice as opposed to the now ubiquitous combi van bar - it used to be only 1! Most of the restaurants which were good years ago have priced themselves up to far. Soi 11 has tried to become move upmarket - as most of BKK is - yet the sex workers and riff raff have just joined in for the ride thus spoiling some of the potential. No real surprise I guess.

To be honest I gave up on Soi 11 long ago.....

Two other points to note, whilst the income the soi 11 type establishments generate is decent, it is relatively small compared to the money being made out in the suburbs at large, well known venues (clubs/pubs/restaurants) which generate significant income weekly from huge numbers of middle class thais. (And suburbs doesn't mean 3-5 kms from lower Sukhumvit as some seem to think). Some of these venues are packed nightly. These are thais who are prepared to pay BHT220-250+ for an imported beer or a decent wine while having some food or watching some live entertainment.

The second point is that there is serious money being made by all in this sector in the current Thai economy given larger disposable incomes. One legit family company group (NOT the one mentioned above) which has over 20 clubs, bars and restaurants (mainly small to medium size establishments) primarily in inner BKK generates over 30m baht revenue A DAY on average - that is over US$1m a day. That ends up being a lucrative profit at the end of each year.