K L M Unique Take On Charging For Checked Baggage

NanLaew

KLM are going to start charging for checked baggage, or as they chose to describe it, "KLM introduces paid check-in baggage for medium-haul flights as part of a range of extra options that gives you more choice and control."

There you have it! They are giving YOU, the paying passenger 'more choice and control' whilst YOU, the paying passenger, will just be paying for something that used to be free.

KLM do they stilk exist? Worst airline ever.They once wanted to charge me 2500 baht for having 23kg checkin luggage,I put some in hand luggage and threw away some bits.Typical dutch in all ways

Sent from my GT-S7500L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

KLM do they stilk exist? Worst airline ever.They once wanted to charge me 2500 baht for having 23kg checkin luggage,I put some in hand luggage and threw away some bits.Typical dutch in all ways

Agree with your sentiments. They have no concept of customer service - on the ground or in the air. Worst business class ever.

• Like 1

BA have introduced a concept of a cheap fare for no checked baggage but allow you 23kg of cabin baggage. Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

23 kilograms in the overhead? No way!

A small child.

I can carry both my kids.

How big are these perimeters for cabin baggage, can they be skinny but long?

• Like 1

Bugger! I'm flying with them mid June. When is this charge introduced?

The charge will effect MEDIUM-HAUL flights.

The main reason for KLM to do this, is to be able to compete with low-cost carriers e.g. RyanAir, EasyJet and AirBerlin.

It's pretty reasonable; why pay for 23 kilo if you can do with 7 kg in your cabin-luggage?

I think that short-trip travelers will benefit.

• Like 1

Agree with your sentiments. They have no concept of customer service - on the ground or in the air. Worst business class ever.

What, really? Even with that lovely little Delft house thing you still don't like them?

Bugger! I'm flying with them mid June. When is this charge introduced?

I don't have the exact dates off-hand (getting a massage ATM) but it will start some time in May (deferred from this month). It is for medium-range flights but I haven't worked out if it affects a European flight that connects with a long haul flight with bags checked all the way through. I usually use KLM from Bangkok to Aberdeen via Amsterdam but having just transferred a couple hundred thousand Amex miles to my BA Avios account, I reckon I won't be passing through Schiphol as often!

I'm flying in two weeks from Sydney to Lisbon with British Airways, i'm looking at my ticket information right now it states, 23kg checked luggage and 7 kg hand luggage,, i wonder if it is different flying from different countries ???

BA have introduced a concept of a cheap fare for no checked baggage but allow you 23kg of cabin baggage. Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

So where do they stow passengers 23kg of cabin baggage??

Have a look at the link provided earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I'm flying in two weeks from Sydney to Lisbon with British Airways, i'm looking at my ticket information right now it states, 23kg checked luggage and 7 kg hand luggage,, i wonder if it is different flying from different countries ???

Luggage stored in overhead lockers is limited to 7 or 8 kg per bag to prevent serious injury to passengers if the luggage falls out; and it does, not so frequently, but passengers have suffered injury. Some airlines do not enforce this rule until they get sued a few times for damages, or a safety regulator fines them. The total weight for an overhead locker depends on the aircraft but is usually about 200 kg. Charging for checked in baggage only encourages passengers to cram everything into their carry on bags - and this is where some regulation has to be applied but often isn't. In theory flying with low cost carriers should be as safe as flying with a full service developed country airline, but the less the fare the greater the temptation to cut costs and safety. I don't fly with low cost carriers. If you do don't expect high standards of service and unfortunately sometimes safety as well.

Luggage stored in overhead lockers is limited to 7 or 8 kg per bag

That's not what it says on the BA website, they are very clear when they say "23kg hand luggage limit, You must be able to lift it into the overhead locker unaided".

Surprised me, but that's what it says.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

What, really? Even with that lovely little Delft house thing you still don't like them?

Stopped liking them when they stopped putting alcohol in the Delft house.

What is considered "high standards of service" on an airplane? To me it is a mode of transportation. Get me and my things there safe and on time is all I need. If it's really necessary I can bring my own snacks and drinks. What is it you guys are looking for, to be treated like you are at a spa or that you are the king of Zamunda?

Just booked to LOS Air Asia. Am not checking baggage. Max allowable cabin weight - all up 7K. I shall be wearing 7 shirts. 7 prs underpants, 7 prs socks. one jacket. Spare pair of shoes go in jacket pockets. Actually I now travel very light. The freedom of not having to worry about checked luggage is great. Took me years to work this out.