Respect - Thai Style

geriatrickid

TVF has been filled with a lot of sad stories of late. Vehicle crashes, bombings, unfortunate tourist injuries etc. Ok, that's life. Bad stuff happens. So in the interest of both cheering some of us up and of providing a learning experience I offer a youtube clip on the retirement ceremony of TG Captain Thong Charatram.

As I read some of the forum threads on cultural misunderstandings and the annual thread on wais, it dawned on me that a great many of us sometimes do not fully grasp how respect is shown in Thailand, and sometimes when it is given, we miss it.

This clip provides some insight into the nuances of deference and how "equals" show respect. The Captains at the ceremony all offer salutes and only the most senior associates of the Captain offer a joke or comment. There is one kiss given in the endearing Thai style that sums up why Thai ladies can be so beguiling. Nothing sexy about it, but genuine affection. The overall respect and decorum observed, even when signing the gentleman's shirt reveals some of the Thai world we do not often get to see, or that some of us forget exists.Those TVFers lucky enough to have functional Thai families or that spent Songkran with older inlaws and relatives will probably have seen similar displays, but for those like me that have spent too much time in places like Patong, we are not exposed as often to regular Thai people. It is one of the reasons why I enjoy my trips up to Udon and soon to Ubon.

it's not a Thai specific in regards t respect. Any industry worldwide would be very similar.

Nice try OP but per the opening few witless responses, talking about Thai respect for Thai on this particular 'farang loo mahk' forum is all a bit fruitless IMHO. Maybe you could have posted it somewhere else and not the smart-arse open sniper territory of 'General'.

Working in a professional encironment here in Thailand I see similar didplays of respect on a daily basis. Likewise amongst the government officials I meet and in my own family and social circles.

It is something to observe and ponder on.

But I also see the negative influence of blind respect and cannot miss the fact thst these displays of 'respect' are reserved for use in the social/professional/political circles in which they are applied.

Step out of those circles and respect is too often replaced by a total disregard for those who have no 'connection' or 'utiliatarian value'.

So yes displays of respect are common but they take place in very well defind social circles, outside of which indifference is the norm, a total disregard for the humanity of a stranger all too common.

• Like 1

TVF has been filled with a lot of sad stories of late. Vehicle crashes, bombings, unfortunate tourist injuries etc. Ok, that's life. Bad stuff happens. So in the interest of both cheering some of us up and of providing a learning experience I offer a youtube clip on the retirement ceremony of TG Captain Thong Charatram.

As I read some of the forum threads on cultural misunderstandings and the annual thread on wais, it dawned on me that a great many of us sometimes do not fully grasp how respect is shown in Thailand, and sometimes when it is given, we miss it.

This clip provides some insight into the nuances of deference and how "equals" show respect. The Captains at the ceremony all offer salutes and only the most senior associates of the Captain offer a joke or comment. There is one kiss given in the endearing Thai style that sums up why Thai ladies can be so beguiling. Nothing sexy about it, but genuine affection. The overall respect and decorum observed, even when signing the gentleman's shirt reveals some of the Thai world we do not often get to see, or that some of us forget exists.Those TVFers lucky enough to have functional Thai families or that spent Songkran with older inlaws and relatives will probably have seen similar displays, but for those like me that have spent too much time in places like Patong, we are not exposed as often to regular Thai people. It is one of the reasons why I enjoy my trips up to Udon and soon to Ubon.

it's not a Thai specific in regards t respect. Any industry worldwide would be very similar.

The manner in which it was done was very Thai. If you look at other retirement videos of western Captain last flights, some of which are nicely done, many differences stand out. i am not saying the westerners are not respectful, but their affection and respect is shown differently. Each has its own characteristics.

I am beginning to understand the importance of ceremony as a means of unifying a population of diverse views and backgrounds. When my g/f spent days with her classmates at university preparing for teacher appreciation day, I said it was a waste of time and that the lot of them should be in the classroom. What I missed was that the event was an exercise in getting people of different social demographic characteristics to work together.

• Like 1

What I missed was that the event was an exercise in getting people of different social demographic characteristics to work together.

Getting them onboard the hierachy/defference and client/patron bus maybe.

The manner in which it was done was very Thai. If you look at other retirement videos of western Captain last flights, some of which are nicely done, many differences stand out. i am not saying the westerners are not respectful, but their affection and respect is shown differently. Each has its own characteristics.

I am beginning to understand the importance of ceremony as a means of unifying a population of diverse views and backgrounds. When my g/f spent days with her classmates at university preparing for teacher appreciation day, I said it was a waste of time and that the lot of them should be in the classroom. What I missed was that the event was an exercise in getting people of different social demographic characteristics to work together.

Absolutely teacher appreciation day is a fantastic example of Thais showing respect.

Nice video, youtube is fairly incredible the way you can see things you wouldn't otherwise be able to. There are lots of other videos showing respect - thai style, like kids at teacher appreciation day. Some of those clips are weird though, like the way kids dress, put make up and 'gyrate' in an adult way. As foreigner's we can just assume that this shows respect to teachers in Thai culture.