Khmer Surin Music In Surin - Where?

hermespan

I like both the plaintive and cheerful songstresses of Thailand who have a strong Khmer element to their singing and accompanying instruments. Where is the best place to connect with this musical scene in Surin city and vicinity?

I was so sure I posted a longer version ofthis question, but it doesn't show up.

Find a Thai Kareoke bar with entertainers and no other farangs. There are loads on the outskirts of Surin or get yourself invited to a private party (wedding/house party) as usually Morlam/Thai Country music is always played at them.

Find a Thai Kareoke bar with entertainers and no other farangs. There are loads on the outskirts of Surin or get yourself invited to a private party (wedding/house party) as usually Morlam/Thai Country music is always played at them.

Yes Siree. Give Prasat and Kap Choeng ago for kareoke. 50% of the workers are Cambodian. That's about as khmer as your going to get.

Yes Siree. Give Prasat and Kap Choeng ago for kareoke. 50% of the workers are Cambodian. That's about as khmer as your going to get.

Agreed but do the have singers or just Sh***ers. He is interested in the music.

Maybe I like both. But the purpose of this enquiry is about the singers. I mean the top singers in the galaxy of Khmer Surin singers - female recording artists in particular. I find all sorts on youtube. But no answer to my questions such as...

1. Who is most popular and with which market?

2. Who are the movers and shakers in the music production field?

3. Which venues host what kind of Khmer musicn(moolam, kanthrum and Khmer Surin, according to my readings, are different, but related genres)

Who and where do I connect to be introduced to the Khmer Surin pop music scene? My guess is that there is a professor at the local university school of fine and pergorming arts, or perhaps an author who is an auto mechanic by day and a Khmer Surin fan by night who has written a book on the history of Khmer music in Thailand. Or maybe there is a fan club that keeps track of all the local concerts and meets every Tuesday at XYZ cafe.

I was really impressed by a male musician in 1991 playing an electrified naga lute during my visit to an outdoor Surin nightclub in 1992. I am a fan of Laotian-Thai singers such as Chintala, Ponsak and Satthit. But that was 1989 or so, and I hear that the ethnic Thai music scene has not only matured but that what was then considered country bumpkin music is now respectable - even in Bangkok.

Khmer Surin fanatic, where are you? It would appear not reading Thaivisa!

Your best bet for this kind of music is Bkk.

I regularly see concerts advertised.

Upcountry, they sometimes have free concerts at say Loy Kratong, Songkran or New Year, these arent every week or every month concerts.

As someone else mentioned, these bands usually earn big money (by Thai standards) playing at weddings etc.

If you can speak Thai listen to the Luk Tung music station, 95.0 FM, the one all the taxi drivers in Bkk listen to, they sometimes advertise concerts or bookings on the station.

The mrs watches some cheapo cable tv in the house, on one of the music channels playing this sort of music there are also adverts advertising concerts or numbers to contact for bookings.

I am in Surin now.

Wouldn't it be funny (and totally understandable) if the top Khmer Surin singers work in Bangkok, creme rising to the top and all.

The best country and western singers presumably are in Austin, not Nashville. I don't know music, but you know what I mean.

Edited by hermespan

I am in Surin now.

Wouldn't it be funny (and totally understandable) if the top Khmer Surin singers work in Bangkok, creme rising to the top and all.

The best country and western singers presumably are in Austin, not Nashville. I don't know music, but you know what I mean.

More money to be made in Bkk.

I dont know how well you know Bkk, there used to be places on Thanon Petchaburi catering to this style of music.

Names such as Issan Darling, Dara Cafe, Sip Hok Darling spring to mind, these places didnt get going 'til at least 10 o'clock at night, audience were mainly construction workers, etc from upcountry.

To book one of these singers expect to pay at least 100k baht for a private function, how many in Surin can afford to pay 200 baht per ticket, thats at least 500 people just to break even, hence, Bkk is where its at.

Issan Darling love it. Been there many years ago, but as I recall the entertainers there worked 'afterhours'. I mean straight singers. Whose only occupation is singing. No extras. Garlands mean 'I love your singing' not 'I love you'.

Issan Darling love it. Been there many years ago, but as I recall the entertainers there worked 'afterhours'. I mean straight singers. Whose only occupation is singing. No extras. Garlands mean 'I love your singing' not 'I love you'.

What's more, as I recall Issarn Darling is LAO music, not Cambodian, no?

What's more, as I recall Issarn Darling is LAO music, not Cambodian, no?

Different groups on each night, all sounded the same to me.

You will remenber the girls lining either side of the hall in front of the stage, you then bought a book of raffle tickets for 50 baht, each girl you danced with you gave a raffle ticket to, she then exchanged the tickets for money.

From what I remember there used to be a comedian, then some entertainment then the group would come on.

Another thing I remember, if you arrived before 9 o'clock and ordered a bottle of Mekong you paid half price, good food in the place as well, some went only to eat and drink, you may remember there were "leisure facilities" available as well.

Bloody brilliant place, never seen anything like it since.

Answer to my own question.

Get a cyclo to take you to the edge of town to SYOOD YEN.

It was ambiguous to me which sort of entertainment was on offer.

Curiously the male singers were the best. I was under the impression that they do not moonlight, but that the gals do. Mostly Thai, some Lao and a middling amount of Khmer singing. I liked best the reparte (war of the sexes) singing comedy match.. The mood, but not the singing style, reminded me if the good humoured male-female verbal battle performed at Cambodian wedding. Very funny and I didn't understan a wird.

Best thing was that when I keft, and there are no taxus, buses or motodops at 1 am, one if thevstaff offered ti drive me home. I tioped her 60 baht for the courtesy fare.